New 1-2 person tent for windy Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 16 Jul 2017
Looking for recommendations for sub 2kg two skinned tent for windy conditions but not snow loading so not full 4 season spec.

Pitch flysheet with inner attached.

Considering a tarptent scarp.

Trekkertent Edge out of production and no replacement yet on market.

Budget up to £400.

Big enough for 1 average sized man and a 19kg collie dog so 1/2 person tent.

May consider a new Vaude Taurus UL.

Thanks for advice etc.
 Mal Grey 16 Jul 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Very much a VauDe fan, quality seems a step up from many others. I also like a freestanding design myself.

Shame about the TT Edge, very similar to the original Wild Country Solar 2, which I always though an excellent design. I do like a freestanding tent where the porches are on the side(s) though.

I assume you've seen the Alpkit Ordos range? Look good now they've upgraded the hydro head etc: https://www.alpkit.com/products/ordos-2

Starky 16 Jul 2017
I've had a Terra Nova Laser Competition 2 for a few years now and it's been great in the Scottish wind and rain. Very light too. It's a bit cosy with 2 people inside but one person and a dog would be fine.

I'm not a big fan of the UL titanium pegs that it comes with - they are a bit flimsy and quite easy to lose. I picked up a pack of Hilleberg Y-Pegs instead and the combination has been perfect.
 climbwhenready 16 Jul 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Very happy with the tarp tent scarp 2. It's big - probably you'll find a 1 person fine for your needs. Very stable but I would always use the cross poles in Scotland so factor that in.
OP Flinticus 16 Jul 2017
In reply to Mal Grey:

Shame it's inner pitch first. I pitch enough times in the rain I don't want that. Looks similar in style to the Taurus UL but lighter.
OP Flinticus 16 Jul 2017
In reply to climbwhenready:

Are the cross poles for coping with snow load or do they help with wind as well?
 timmeehhhh 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Flinticus:
You could consider the Exped Cetus II UL, a low profile, 2kg, outer-first tunnel with a spacious vestibule. I have seen it online for around 400.

If you are more in favor of a free-standing, dome like tent, have a look at the Big Sky Chinook 2p (although a bit above your budget). Outer-first, two vestibules, and the option to leave one of the poles at home when you expect less windy conditions.
Post edited at 09:44
 ben b 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I would suggest the Macpac Minaret. Strong, reasonable size and carry weight for 1+dog. Outer and inner pitch as one so stable and dry to erect. When I say strong I mean 9.6mm poles, very solid groundsheet, 4 peg pitch plus some guy lines for the paranoid.

Not a huge tent though - offset porch reduces length, and it I were designing it I would put some mozzie netting at the toe end for additional ventilation. Perhaps I should get the sewing machine out on ours

https://www.wildernessmag.co.nz/review/macpac-minaret/
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/macpac/minaret/
https://www.macpac.co.nz/minaret-tramping-tent.html

Cheers

b

climbwhenready 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

They also help with wind
 tony 17 Jul 2017
In reply to ben b:

> I would suggest the Macpac Minaret. Strong, reasonable size and carry weight for 1+dog. Outer and inner pitch as one so stable and dry to erect. When I say strong I mean 9.6mm poles, very solid groundsheet, 4 peg pitch plus some guy lines for the paranoid.

I was going to suggest a Minaret. It's a bit cosy for 2, but not impossible. Easy to pitch.
 ChrisH89 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Tarptent Scarp is great. I have the 1 person version and you could definitely fit two people/one person and a dog in since the inner can be expanded into the porches, though obviously you lose storage space. The only problem with it is the expense of getting it over to the UK!
 nutme 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

> Shame it's inner pitch first. I pitch enough times in the rain I don't want that. Looks similar in style to the Taurus UL but lighter.

Alpkit Ordos can be put outer first if using optional footrpint included. I used it in a rainy days and it's still a bit of hassle, but can be done. I find it a very good tent for value.
OP Flinticus 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Flinticus:
Doing more research.

Scarp 1 looking best (within budget hopefully)

Discounted a few; MLD Duomid as too expensive, likewise Atko. TN Southern Cross 1 too small and condensation issues.

However a new to me serious contender is: Nigor Wikiup 3 with half inner. Great review of it on youtube from Renegrade Scot. Anyone with experience of this or the old GoLife SL3? I have no experience with a tipi style tent but it seems to handle wind very well.

Also looking at the Lightwave t10 trail tent but little in the way of reviews or comments on Lightwave tents at all.
Post edited at 14:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...