Small Multi-pitch pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sean1 11 Jun 2017
I have a Petzl Bug pack for multi-pitch climbing that is on it's last legs. I have been looking at getting either the Ortovox Trad 18 or the Blue Ice Dragonfly. Has anyone had any experiences with both or either?
Things like, for carrying a rope and gear on an approach up to a 90min walk? Climbing restrictions? Durability, etc.?Thanks for any replies.
 c357 11 Jun 2017
In reply to sean1:

I went for the Patagonia Linked day sack. Reasonably small at 16L but big enough for a rack, water and lunch. Has a strap on the top for a rope. I've resorted to having to clip my shoes to the outside with a carabiner, and helmet clipped on. It does the job and is small, comfortable, and doesn't restrict movement when climbing. So far it's lasted well, but hasn't been abused too much.

Has a water bladder pocket, but not used it. Also has strong attachment points at the top for clipping at a belay. It's pretty comfy so I haven't bothered taking it off to see how useful this is.
 TobyA 11 Jun 2017
In reply to sean1:

Have you seen the 13 quid one from Decathlon? Rather good I've found, and amazing for the cost https://www.decathlon.co.uk/cliff-20-ii-backpack-orange-id_8302354.html?iv_...
 Mike-W-99 11 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Seconded. It's also very hard wearing.
In reply to TobyA:

Thirded.

I use this for flipping everything!
 Jim Walton 14 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Fourthed.

This is a brilliant pack. Beats all the others because it has a zip pocket on the side. Very light with hard wearing fabrics. I use it a lot.
 jethro kiernan 14 Jun 2017
In reply to sean1:

Fifthed decathlon cliff
 ebdon 14 Jun 2017
In reply to sean1:

I have a dragon fly - typical good design from blue ice and seems pretty durable (although mines still newish so yet to be dragged backwards through a granite offwidth etc.... the rope carrying feature also seems good.
I also like the way it packs down very small (it its own pocket) if you take the foam out as you can easily put it in a bigger pack for the walk in and then take it out to climb with.
 AlanLittle 14 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Five and a half for the Decathlon.

Generally great except that it's a bit too long so I find it gets in the way of my chalkbag. I have another one from Pod that's cut shorter so doesn't (but weighs twice as much and is no longer made)
 JohnBson 14 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Used it for all my last years UK multipitch, alpine valley multipitch and 4000m AD routes. It's as light as they come and is only functional. Strip away the gizmos and go back to basics. I did add a whistle chest strap from an old osprey bag though, for safety reasons.
OP sean1 18 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks all for your replies. Hadn't seen the Cliff 20 before, will check out, sounds good. Last question. How is it for carrying the rope and a bit of weighty gear for a distance?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...