Repair of cracked duffle bag material?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abcdef 28 Mar 2017
I have a North Face laptop bag, which looks to be made of the same type of stuff as their duffle bags, ie TPE laminated nylon. Its in generally good shape apart from a few small cracks et the top, which could potentially let a bit of rain through.

Has anyone had much success repairing this type of material?

Ideally I am looking for some sort of adhesive or other liquid that can be painted over the areas. And needs to be black. Any ideas??? The bag is no longer made, and I can't see any replacements that I like as much, so want to give this a few more years use.
 tjin 28 Mar 2017
In reply to abcdef:

Does it need to look pretty?

Functional options:
- Sewn crack shut, apply seam sealer on top.
- Use your favorite tape, round the edges. Apply on both sides.
OP abcdef 28 Mar 2017
In reply to tjin:

ideally yes, cause its at the top/most prominent bit. There are about a dozen individual bits - that range at worst to the coating come off, and at best a tiny hole - that it wouldn't be very practicable to sew, and tape might not adhere to the particular bits (bends in the fabric, edges etc) that the best option would be something i could apply/paint on.

Maybe a bit of McNett Aquasure/stormsure, but they only appears to be in clear. Black Witch Neoprene adhesive is a possibility, though maybe not as strong.
OP abcdef 28 Mar 2017
In reply to abcdef:

Actually, I may have found the answer....

"Black Stormsure Flexible Repair Adhesive will stick virtually anything. It is excellent for repairing anything that needs to be waterproof or airtight. It is highly abrasion resistant, and will glue together almost any two surfaces! It is slow curing, so there is never a rush to get it right. But once cured it is very difficult to break it apart. Stormsure is flexible when cured and ideal for fixing leaks and rips in leather, rubber and most man made or natural fabrics. So you can repair your rubber boots, convertible hood, airbed, tent, furniture, ceramic flower pots, horse blankets...the list goes on and on!!"
 Mal Grey 28 Mar 2017
In reply to abcdef:

I was going to suggest Stormsure, didn't know there was a black option though. Its the fact its still flexible when cured that makes it good, I've used it on dry suits, bags, and on an inflatable canoe inner tube!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...