Which Crampons?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jackdimples1 14 Dec 2016
Hey!

Im looking for advice on Crampons. I need C3 crampons with a single wire bale at the front, as well as interchangable Mono/Dual points. Im struggling to find many that fit these needs, does anyone have any advice? Perhaps im just not looking hard enough....
 guy127917 14 Dec 2016
In reply to jackdimples1:

Petzl Lynx fits that spec.
 guy127917 14 Dec 2016

Petzl Lynx
 Al_Mac 14 Dec 2016

Grivel G14, Petzl Lynx and BD Cyborg spring to mind. All come with the wire bale and are mono/dual-able. The Petzl and Cyborg are a bit more aggressive than the G14 and a touch lighter.
 HeMa 14 Dec 2016

AA skysteep.
 Michael Gordon 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Cloverleaf:

> Grivel G14, Petzl Lynx and BD Cyborg

Unless I'm mistaken, none of those are C3 I don't think. I'm trying to think but perhaps C3 with interchangable points doesn't really exist? Not that it's really necessary to have fully rigid crampons.
 starbug 14 Dec 2016
Despite the conflicting advice on C3 above. Modern C3 crampons combining a plastic heel lever and metal toe bar with B3 boots are not totally rigid anymore.

Black Diamond Cyborg Pro

Grivel G14 Cramp-o-Matic

Petzl lynx

Are considered C3 and all feature interchangeable point configuration. I choose G14's over Cyborgs based on the reports of the stainless steel (Cyborgs) being brittle and snapping and G14's fitting my boots better than the Lynx.

If you can take your boots with you and go to a decent climbing shop they will help you get the best advice, fit etc.
Post edited at 16:30
 Michael Gordon 14 Dec 2016
In reply to starbug:

Ah OK, apologies to the OP. I see the term has changed - was thinking of the likes of Rambos
 andyd1970 14 Dec 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:
Just be careful if you choose the Cyborgs as there was a couple of posts on here asking where u could get replacement front points from as they had ran out stock
Apparently it's a problem BD are aware of but I would consider the fit firstly but also consider the cost and availability of changing the front point.
Petzl have just changed their crampon range so they are more adaptable, so you could buy the Lynx and if u wanted a pair of C2 at a later date you can jet buy the Vasak or similar front section at 2/3 of the price
Andy

OP jackdimples1 16 Dec 2016
Thanks for your help all! Think I am going to go with the Grivel G14, as long as they fit my Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro GTX's.

Needle Sports 17 Dec 2016

The Rambo 4 is still made and is totally rigid: http://www.needlesports.com/2340/products/grivel-rambo-evolution-4-crampoma...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...