NEWS: Row Erupts as Future of MWIS Cast in Doubt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 12 Sep 2016
Wild weather on Buachaille Etive Beag, 2 kbA storm broke out over the weekend after it emerged that funding for the Mountain Weather Information Service will cease at the end of 2016. As a result the service in its current form may terminate.

Read more
 simes303 12 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I'm amazed that I've never heard of this forecast service.
 planetmarshall 12 Sep 2016

Have Sportscotland actually confirmed that they are withdrawing funding? 2000 people have signed a petition but it's not actually clear what they're protesting.
katejsm 12 Sep 2016

I'd like to know who runs SportScotland and what its political interests are. With a name like that, there is a danger it could be a Nationalist organisation, and thus unwilling to fund forecasts for England and Wales. Any reliable info on this?
 rif 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

UK government funding for sport is devolved to the different nations. SportScotland has helped fund MWIS for some time, but as far as I know SportEngland and Sportwales have not.
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to rif:

Thanks, but not quite on the point I was making. The SNP are cutting back in all sorts of areas, so quite possibly this one. I should like to know if the majority of the Board and the Senior Management Team are SNP sympathisers.
 skog 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

> I'd like to know who runs SportScotland and what its political interests are.

If only there was some sort of vast database of interconnected computers storing and sharing such information, and some means of searching through it, you wouldn't have had to go to the trouble of registering today just to ask that!

> With a name like that, there is a danger it could be a Nationalist organisation

Yes, it's a vile Nationalist sect - dedicated to furthering the cause of the Caledonian Master Race through Sporting Supremacy. I hear they even have a youth wing, to better corrupt young minds!

http://www.sportscotland.org.uk/about_us/what_we_do/people/young_leaders/yo...

When will this madness end?
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to simes303:

it's excellent. For climbers/walkers, far better than the Met Office.
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to skog:

I did look up the Senior Management Team: the Director could give the impression of being a Nationalist, and Nationalists are not to be trusted.

Just because the organisation does worthy things for Sport doesn't mean it's not politically underpinned.

And your sarcasm is way too heavy-handed to be impressive.
 wbo 12 Sep 2016
Dear Kate - let me get this right. You are concerned that a weather service for Scotland, funded by Scotland is being defunded by Scotland to spite England and Wales?

Why dont you petition Sports England to provide similar?
 Dauphin 12 Sep 2016

Maybe they could crowd fund it? I'd pay 30-50 quid a year sub for the service without hesitation.

D
 skog 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

I can only apologise for the weight of my hands - they swell up whenever the weather forecast is threatened.
 planetmarshall 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

> And your sarcasm is way too heavy-handed to be impressive.

I probably wouldn't go exploring the other forums.

katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to wbo:

Similar what?

I'm concerned that what may well be an SNP supported organisation is stopping an excellent service because it is not pro-Nationalist.

There's no point in asking SportScotland; if they are Nationalists, you won't get an honest answer from them.
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to skog:

I don't think being disingenuously literal-minded really helps what little case you have.

If you have reliable knowledge of Sport Scotland's political base, I suggest you share it; otherwise, keep your self-indulgent replies to yourself.
 skog 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

On the plus side, it does help with jamming.

Sadly, as everyone knows, Scotsmen can't jam.
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to wbo:

I understand that the Scottish forecasts are funded by SportScotland, but that the English forecasts aren't. Sport England should indeed provide proportionate funding for that.

But I've a feeling, knowing the Nationalists as I do, that it's less about funding than about trying to squeeze out a non-Nationalist service.
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to skog:

Please stop trolling; you're helping nobody.
 skog 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

Now that'd be a good use of SportScotland money - field trips to Northumberland and the Peak, to help teach Scottish climbers the dark art of jamming.
 Scomuir 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

> Please stop trolling; you're helping nobody.

Marvellous.
 d_b 12 Sep 2016
In reply to skog:

You can't do that. They might use the opportunity to lay siege to York and take back Berwick, and then where would we be?
 skog 12 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Dude, York is definitely part of Scotland. Don't try to tell me otherwise.
 rallymania 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2016/scotland/results

I love how you seem to be assuming everything to do with the SNP can't be trusted... so basically you are saying nearly half the country disagree with you, but you are right... I'd admire your confidence, if that's all it is, but it smells more like arrogance to me.

and nothing about the rest of your posts has done anything to dissuade me (and probably the people mocking you) from thinking otherwise... but you carry on there, you seem to be generating some steam we can use to replace our nuclear power with
 robhorton 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

I'd be interested to know why people think the MWIS forecasts are superior to the Met Office ones - is it that you think the MWIS ones are more accurate or "just" that you like the format?

As far as I can tell, the MWIS forecasts are "just" Geoff Monk having a look at the various Met Office forecasts (and presumably the GFS one too) [1] and presenting it a format useful to walkers / climbers. That's not to say that he doesn't know what he's doing or that there is no value in them, but there's no way he would be able to produce a useful forecast without model output from the national services.

[1] http://www.mwis.org.uk/how-we-forecast
 Robert Durran 12 Sep 2016
In reply to robhorton:

> I'd be interested to know why people think the MWIS forecasts are superior to the Met Office ones - is it that you think the MWIS ones are more accurate or "just" that you like the format?

It does divide Scotland into five areas rather than two which is obviously preferable.

Oceanrower 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> It does divide Scotland into five areas rather than two which is obviously preferable.

Not according to the government.

http://www.gov.scot/resource/0046/00464455.pdf

jac the lassie 12 Sep 2016
In reply to robhorton:

It has more regions and is a lot more accurate. Looking at a general met forecast for the area then the Mwis report for the hills works brilliantly for figuring out what's happening weather wise. The met mountain forecast is more like a horoscope in comparison and the site is awkward to use. Mwis also gives a cloud base which I find very useful and has been surprisingly accurate to date for anything I've done.

I believe the Scottish part of the Mwis is funded by Sportscotland but the English and Welsh parts are funded by the ads. Surely an overall sponsor by an outdoor brand could fund it's continuation? Especially given the amount of us that use the service. It would be great publicity.
Removed User 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

> I'm concerned that what may well be an SNP supported organisation is stopping an excellent service because it is not pro-Nationalist.

As I recall, if you dig around a bit on the MWIS site you can find the links for Nationalist/Unionist forecasts as suits your taste.
 Robert Durran 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

> Not according to the government.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/home.asp
Definitely five areas!
 PM 12 Sep 2016

Dear sportscotland, whatever you think 'bespoke' means, that's not what it means.
 Ian65 12 Sep 2016

Looks like a job for the BMC: Clmb Britain would have to include Scotland.
 Sean Kelly 12 Sep 2016

Always peeved that the MWIS never covered the South West especially Dartmoor.
 Misha 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

What are you on about, it's a weather forecasting service, how can it be pro or anti nationalist???
 aln 12 Sep 2016

I don't winter climb much so it's not that relevant to me but what I found depressing in that report was the amount of non-speak.
 toad 12 Sep 2016
In reply to aln:

I'm confused. MWIS is a year round service. are you confused with SAIS?
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to robhorton:

The Met Office tends to supply ground-level forecasts, whereas MWIS gives more detailed walk & climber-relevant stuff like cloud cover, effect of wind, temperature on summits etc, all important factors when planning a day in the hills. Also a bit more detailed for distinct mountain areas.
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

The matter is a bit more serious than your flippancy suggests.
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to Misha:

SportScotland is a Scottish Nationalist front organisation. The Nationalists are interested in suppressing those who disagree with their way of doing this. One way they can do that is by stopping funding, which is what's happening here.
katejsm 12 Sep 2016
In reply to rallymania:

This is the old and tired and wrong SNP argument that because you are popular that somehow makes you right. Well, it doesn't. Hitler, Mussolini and Mugabe, for example, all had massive popular support, but they turned out to be dreadful tyrants.

I'll remind you of this when the SNP is voted out in 2020. The process has begun: the SNP has lost its overall majority in Holyrood and in the most recent poll, Ruth Davidson's popularity overtook Sturgeon's.

The SNP will fail before long because it is based on hatred and negativity, because it survives only by deceiving gullible people and because as a 'government' it is quite extraordinarily incompetent.
 JSTaylor 12 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

> This is the old and tired and wrong SNP argument that because you are popular that somehow makes you right. Well, it doesn't. Hitler, Mussolini and Mugabe, for example, all had massive popular support, but they turned out to be dreadful tyrants.

> I'll remind you of this when the SNP is voted out in 2020. The process has begun: the SNP has lost its overall majority in Holyrood and in the most recent poll, Ruth Davidson's popularity overtook Sturgeon's.

> The SNP will fail before long because it is based on hatred and negativity, because it survives only by deceiving gullible people and because as a 'government' it is quite extraordinarily incompetent.

I am no friend of the SNP, but your comments are frankly pure nonsense with regard to suggesting some Nationalist plot to remove MWIS. Your real identity is not Donald J. Trump is it?
 skog 12 Sep 2016
In reply to thread:

Jings, I'm not sure I've ever seen a better example of Poe's Law!
 Morty 12 Sep 2016
In reply to skog:

> Jings, I'm not sure I've ever seen a better example of Poe's Law!

Best troll in ages!
 Wee Davie 12 Sep 2016
In reply to skog:
I have a good nose for a troll, and was on the cusp of congratulating Kate [name removed] on his success in this thread.

However, in this case I'm just irritated by the potential loss of MWIS so Kate/ Louise/ whatever your name is- gtf and let us talk sense here please.
Post edited at 22:44
 planetmarshall 13 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

> ...Hitler...

And we have a winner.
 leon 1 13 Sep 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:
Perhaps Kate has a point? Hitler, Mussolini and Mugabe especially, all generally got better weather than we do (Stalingrad aside). However now the secret is out that the SNP are keeping the best weather to themselves for when they go out. (Salmond Leap climbed in good conditions, and what about Sturgeon in the Cupboard ? and as for all that Sunshine on Leith ......) Surely they`ll now have to share a wee bit of their weather ?
Post edited at 09:00
 Robert Durran 13 Sep 2016
In reply to leon 1:
> ..........and as for all that Sunshine on Leith ......Surely they`ll now have to share a wee bit of their weather ?

Shhhhh......... that's just a decoy to keep the southerners from venturing north of the central belt and well away from Reiff.
Post edited at 10:38
 Dauphin 13 Sep 2016
In reply to aln:

You mean airy fairy the guff by Sport Scotland? Indeed depressing, wobble headed NGO drivel. Are there any straight talking, hairy bollocked men or women left in the U.K?

D
 aln 13 Sep 2016
In reply to toad:

Oops I was. Point stands though.
 aln 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

It's not allowed anymore in case someone is offended.
katejsm 14 Sep 2016
In reply to leon 1:

If that's meant to be satire it's pre-GCSE stuff.
katejsm 14 Sep 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

The evidence is reasonable, unlike your boring response.
katejsm 14 Sep 2016
In reply to JSTaylor:
Your bald assertion means nothing. My premises have evidence & reason. Dismissing them as 'nonsense' means nothing. Grow up and try to argue like a grown man instead of a petulant child.
 Simon Caldwell 15 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

I've no idea who you are, but you're not doing your cause any good
mattlee 15 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

"Bold" assertion surely ?. Or are you assuming JSTaylor has no hair ?
 Rob Parsons 15 Sep 2016
In reply to mattlee:

The phrase 'bald assertion' is a perfectly good (and accepted) use of English. A 'bold assertion' would be something else.
 planetmarshall 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> The phrase 'bald assertion' is a perfectly good (and accepted) use of English.

Indeed, katejsm kindly provides many examples of such above.

mattlee 15 Sep 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I stand corrected - thanks for the grammar lesson !. You learn something everyday
 niche 15 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

Hi Katejsm
Perhaps you might like to inform the forum as to what the SNP are cutting back on. I think you are just talking through a hole in your behind.
 niche 15 Sep 2016
In reply to katejsm:

> Similar what?

> I'm concerned that what may well be an SNP supported organisation is stopping an excellent service because it is not pro-Nationalist.

> There's no point in asking SportScotland; if they are Nationalists, you won't get an honest answer from them.

Would you care to apologise jumping the gun on this matter and slandering half the population of Scotland who are nationalists. Sportscotland, funded by Holyrood have just announced funding for another 3 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...