Ultra-light shorts (Pertex/Ripstop?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mlt 01 May 2015
Hey,

I'm wondering if anybody knows of a company that produces ultra-light shorts, likely made of Pertex or DWR style rip stop? I've never been able to find anything. I know Inov-8 make some pretty light running shorts but at 210g, I feel like there's an even more simple design to be had (i.e. no elastic, just draw string waist to cut weight) that could go around the 100g mark. Any suggestions or maybe I should just make my own?

Cheers
 PPP 01 May 2015
In reply to mlt:

You made me weigh my shorts I use for running and volleyball! Kitchen scales say they are 134g which is fairly accurate as they are light. They are Nike Fitdry no-nonsense shorts. They probably cost me under a tenner, but if you feel fancy, take a look here: http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-shorts-c114

This website sorts everything by weight by default, so it's quite a good reference website for light stuff. Now I wish there was something similar for climbing gear where you could sort stuff by weight...
 Billhook 01 May 2015
In reply to mlt:

Thats terrible. The extra 100g must really affect your running badly. Here are some other ways of saving weight if there's nothing else you can cut from your shorts:-

a) Have crap before you go out in your shorts
b) Have a nice long pee
c) Cut your hair off.
d) Only use half the shoe lace on your running shoes.
e) wear a female running top rather than the full size man job.
f) Cut the soles out of your shoes and just use the uppers. No one else will notice.
g) Cut the tops off your shoes and just use the soles. You will need to use a shoelace to tie them to your feet.

And just think how much further and faster you'll go.

('100g saving', he mutters as he leaves for the pub shaking his head)
 Mr Trebus 01 May 2015
In reply to PPP:

> This website sorts everything by weight by default, so it's quite a good reference website for light stuff. Now I wish there was something similar for climbing gear where you could sort stuff by weight...

There is www.weighmyrack.com
 PPP 01 May 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

As it was posted in Gear forum rather than Running forum, I suppose this is something to be carried in Scottish summer. Couple years ago I spent 9 days in Cairngorms/Glenshee and it didn't rain a single day (a drizzle for 5 minutes once!). It was over 30 degrees in Glasgow (according to other people). I was wearing quite think trousers all the time but had shorts in my rucksack. I wore them for one day and got sunburnt!

I guess ultralight shorts is the way to go in such situation as you are very unlikely to wear them in Scotland, but they become a special treat once you can actually wear them. To be fair, I have been in Scotland just over 2 years and got nearly 80 Munros bagged - I wore shorts maybe once or twice on the summit of all of these.
OP mlt 01 May 2015
In reply to PPP:

Thanks for all the suggestions and input guys! Ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk is a great one. I'll look at that more.

Just to clarify, I'm not using them for running I'm not generally too weight obsessed, it's just that I need a pair of very light and packable shorts. I'll be heading to Russia for around four months with just a single pair of trousers, but need something else just to kick around in as I'm going to get dirtier than a hobo.
 PPP 01 May 2015
In reply to mlt:

Have a good trip then! I would probably take a pair of convertible trousers instead so you have two options how to wear them. I know they are usually not as sexy, but they work. Mountain Hardwear Mesa Convertibles are still sub 300g and aren't that expensive (30-40 pounds). I have got a pair of old style Montane Terra Convertibles, but I don't think they do them any more.
 CurlyStevo 01 May 2015
In reply to mlt:

some of the decathalon troos are great value. The last pair I bought weren't quite soft shell but as wind proof as most and dried quicker 30 notes! (and ripstop with hard wearing patches where it counted). Used them in the alps, scotland all over!
OP mlt 01 May 2015
In reply to PPP:

Thanks again for the input guys!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...