A dedicated ski / ski mountaineering forum this winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Edwards 21 Aug 2011
Dear all
I have noticed whilst i have been shuffling about on my planks these past couple of winters that there a lot of other folk have also been out similarly shuffling and sliding about. With the advances in kit recently and the last couple of excellent snowy winters it is becoming more and more popular.
So, i wonder is there any scope for a dedicated forum on UKC to provide a home to these people. I think that there is a huge crossover with winter climbers, but admittedly less numbers.
On the plus side i'm sure that ukc would be able to sell specific advertising slots to shops like facewest, mountain spirit and braemar mountain sports.
So what do people think? Do we start a petition?
James e
 deepstar 21 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Great Idea!
 IainMunro 21 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards:

Yes please!
 Lawrie Brand 21 Aug 2011

Aye that would be grand!
 HeMa 21 Aug 2011

It would make winter and alps forum less clutted with the newer ending questions and debates on "dynafiddle is not safe", "dynafiddle is the only real option" and "what skis yada yada yada".

So it might be a good idea.
 S Lynch 21 Aug 2011

Gets my vote.
Slugain Howff 21 Aug 2011

I'm in...

S
OP James Edwards 21 Aug 2011
I do think that it would 'get everyone in one place' as well.
I have been slightly disappointed with the traffic on the trip reports on the winter highland site as they seem not to be doing the type of trips that i do and that lots of people i know who use ukc do.
I agree it would be really good to separate out the ski chat from the winter forum so there will be more space for ranting about poor quality / ethically dubious / turf not frozen chat!
James e
 london_huddy 21 Aug 2011

A very good idea James.
 niallk 21 Aug 2011

Yes please.

My (admittedly limited) experience with the trip reports on Winterhighland echoes yours. People's mentions of days on here tends to be of more relevance to me.
 sleeplessjb 21 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: would be ace
 Gadameer 21 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Agreed, great idea.
 rif 21 Aug 2011
Yes, would be useful and interesting
 Henry Iddon 21 Aug 2011

Sounds like a plan - people can then openly discuss skinning up. I mentioned it to John McCarthey when on Excess Baggage in April - bless - he nearly fell off his chair on live radio!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011290b
 top cat 21 Aug 2011
We definately need this!

It is bizzare that we have a biking forum but no ski M.

hedgepig 21 Aug 2011
I'm in.
Already thinking about a Norway outing in Feb.
 wi11 21 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Would make a good addition but there could be a fair amount of crossover with the alpine forum?
OP James Edwards 21 Aug 2011
In reply to wi11: I don't think so as ski mountaineers are looking for very different conditions to alpinists and there is A LOT going on in Scotland now. On an average day on mac dui I see more folk on skis than walkers.
James e
 Mike-W-99 21 Aug 2011
Whats up with the winterhighland trip reports? Always seems like a good mix of standard touring and scary gullies.
 wi11 21 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: fair enough, I was thinking of stuff in the alps and the like for some reason, hadn't considered the stuff in the UK!
 Morgan Woods 22 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Agreed. I'm a big fan of skinning up.
 Doug 22 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Never understood why it wasn't added years ago. Far more related to mountaineering than some of the existing fora
 Jerry67 22 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Great idea, gets my vote.
Jerry
 inboard 22 Aug 2011

great idea, gets my vote too.

maybe we can start our own ethics debates - is it really skiing when you're sliding on 2mm of wet snow over grass...
 JR 22 Aug 2011

should have happened years ago...
 alasdair19 22 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: A forum here would be good, my brother and I posted up trip reports and an archive here www.skitourscotland.co.uk feel free to contribute!
macstinator 22 Aug 2011

Do it.
 Yanchik 22 Aug 2011
In reply to macstinator:

Another in favour.

Y
GBriffett 22 Aug 2011
In reply to Yanchik:
Timely prompting James. Alan - another in favour... If we can have a runners section (and as one, I'm all in favour!) then we really should also have a ski mountaineering section.

James - we must make it out this winter. We've moved (Strath to Marybank) and are now even closerm, so its about time we got a few turns in together.

Graham
In reply to Mike_Watson_99: The last couple of years probably because of the amazing conditions we've had, i found that anything useful on winterhighland was diluted by loads of reports of people skiing the 9th hole on their local golf course down south! or skinning up Pitlochry high street to access Ben y Vrackie (sorry that was me!) or such like.

A forum on here would be great. The ski touring scene in Scotland is buzzing and growing year on year. Bring it on UKC
mountainsheep 22 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Another vote from me.
 meh 22 Aug 2011

This has been a good idea every time it's been suggested.
 Doug 22 Aug 2011
In reply to meh:
> (In reply to James Edwards)
>
> This has been a good idea every time it's been suggested.

And we've never had a convincing explanation as to why its a bad idea or not possible - Mick ? Alan ?
 wilkie14c 22 Aug 2011
great plan, it'd keep the winter forum free for us proper winter climbers who want to know just how gnarly Idwal stream is
 shaigh 22 Aug 2011
Great idea!
tri-nitro-tuolumne 22 Aug 2011

Yup, excellent idea.

Dynafiddle is the only option
 barney800 22 Aug 2011

Another +1 from me.
OP James Edwards 22 Aug 2011
Well that seems like a healthy response.
I will email the powers that be this evening and see what they say.
James e
Ps I like Fritschi and dynafit. I am a fence sitter!
 HeMa 22 Aug 2011
> Ps I like Fritschi and dynafit. I am a fence sitter!

I'm a telewanker, so I prolly should not even post here.
 Erik B 22 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: dear god, so now ski touring gets the UKC treatment, condition requests and honeypots creation. is nothing in the mountains sacred now?
 meh 22 Aug 2011
In reply to Erik B:
'cause there's no websites already doing trip and conditions reports on t'interweb.
 Henry Iddon 23 Aug 2011
In reply to Erik B:

Dunno but Rakim is up for it.
 Drew52 25 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: great idea. i'm in! how do you go about starting one up? and how do you contact someone from ukc?
OP James Edwards 25 Aug 2011
In reply to Drew52:
It needs the site owners to set it up. It isnt something we can do ourselves. I sent an email to Alan James but perhaps he is away on holiday at the moment. Perhaps I will email one of the other people on the list of ukc people this evening.
James e
paraffin 26 Aug 2011

What is wrong with Winterhighland.com?

Davie
macstinator 26 Aug 2011
In reply to parafinn:

It uses software even more useless than the UKC forum, and has less users and , hence, less information.
paraffin 26 Aug 2011
In reply to macstinator:
Hi,
Winterhighland does it for me - I get the info I need to ski i.e Gear tips, conditions, weather etc. Can UKC provide more?

What am I missing software wise?

Cannot wait for the UKC forum (excuse me if its been said before)to start up with threads filled with acrimonious diatribe:

1. Reccomend me an easy blue run in South of England within 60 minutes drive of my house.
2. What skis do I need to ski parallel down a black run in two days of skiing
and my all time favourite
3. It was never in condition! Yes it was! No it wasn't! Bumbly! Elitist!
 AG 26 Aug 2011
In reply to macstinator: I find it very good for ski touring conditions and also different off piste routes. A lot of the contributors tour, off piste and piste ski (like myself). Another forum on here would be additional info though. Can't have too many reports imo!.
 Neil Adams 26 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Yes please! It's just as relevant to mountaineers and climbers as running or biking, maybe more so.
 Simon Davis 26 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Another vote from me. Very good idea!
 The Bushman 26 Aug 2011

A very good idea the last 3/4 winters I have posted comments and asked questions regarding ski mountaineering on UKC. But sometimes these posts are lost in the mid winter mayhem. I would love to see a separate forum. It’s not winter climbing and does not fit within the expedition and alpine section.

So UKC management etc, here is a fab opportunity!
 alasdair19 26 Aug 2011
In reply to parafinn: its functionally inferior to this for instance www.skitourscotland.co.uk which is effectively a wiki sort of thing so allowing people to put up as much information as they like about the tours just done.

we need to sort out how to embed video for next season...
 Erik B 27 Aug 2011
In reply to parafinn: Hi mate, wee Jamesy Cotter has spotted a niche in the industry, fair dooze like, I admire entrepreneurial spirit. Must be be tough not being in the Lochaber mafia!

fooze neeps?
paraffin 27 Aug 2011
In reply to Erik B: Hi Erik, nae bad! Fas yer tatties lune?

Been up helping build England's second highest toilet this weekend - we'll be flushed with success when we get it finished.

I will PM you on here later.

take care

Davie
 Lloydfletch 27 Aug 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Great idea. There've been a few articles on skiing, and since there are running and biking forums, seems odd not to have as skiing one. so much more relevant to mountaineering in general.
ice.solo 27 Aug 2011

do it.

ahh, the great UKC conquest of all non-ball sports gets ever wider everyday...
macstinator 13 Sep 2011

Was there any answer to this? I think people have been asking for one for literally years, now, and it should take literally seconds to create one, the longer steps being porting over existing threads and designing an icon.

Who is in charge here, and how do we get this done?
Tim Chappell 13 Sep 2011
In reply to macstinator:

I'd like a skiing forum too. I did more skiing than climbing last winter... largely because the roads were too nasty to drive far enough to climb, but not so nasty that I couldn't get to the Sidlaws to ski. On two memorable occasions, I didn't even need to get in the car-- I just skied the hills right behind the house.
OP James Edwards 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell:
No answer yet. Perhaps if a few people asked it might make some headway.
James e
Tim Chappell 13 Sep 2011

Should we start typing in caps?
 John Ww 13 Sep 2011

Another vote for a "yes please".
 KennyWright 13 Sep 2011
I agree with plans for a dedicated ski mountaineering forum. Im also glad that others describe their ski-ing as 'shuffling about on my planks'. It has been said that I look like a climber on skis... I don't think that was a compliment...

Kenny
 HeMa 13 Sep 2011
In reply to KennyWright:
> It has been said that I look like a climber on skis... I don't think that was a compliment...

Yup, not a compliment...

stevev 13 Sep 2011
if we can have a running and biking forum, then it seems reasonable to have a ski or ski touring forum
Tim Chappell 13 Sep 2011
In reply to KennyWright:

In Canadian skiing argot, "hey, Joe, ye're skiin' like an Englishman todee" is, erm, not a compliment.
Anonymous 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Henry Iddon: I heard that interview at the time Henry, it was very good

Another vote for a dedicated section from me

Blurty (off line)

+1 from me
 StuLade 13 Sep 2011
Count me in for a ski mountaineering forum. I did my first ever (slightly icy) day skiing at Glenshee last year and want to drop some dough on a setup that I can teach myself to ski on this winter (possibly using Spantiks for boots as I have a pair already?), beta for routes, how do I untangle myself from this sticky skins that have wrapped themselves around me etc so will have lots of idiotic threads to post that would otherwise clog up the winter climbing forum.
 earlsdonwhu 13 Sep 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Good idea....but this will probably ensure we get the mildest winter since records began.
 KA 13 Sep 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Thumbs up here
 Oceanic 13 Sep 2011

If it doesn't happen we should invade the Expedition and Alpine Forum over the winter. I don't see the mods having a problem with it being used for discussion of skiing in the Alps, and if we have the winter that is being forecast I reckon that they'll soon get sick of moving posts about skiing in Scotland and leave them be.
 jonnie3430 13 Sep 2011

+ 2 from me, not because I am big headed, but the other one would like it too.
Removed User 13 Sep 2011

And me.
 andymoin 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Removed User: Mon the winter and skiing, also a ski-mountaineering forum would be nice too.
 Dave Rumney 13 Sep 2011
Good idea - another vote from me.
 lex 13 Sep 2011

Good idea, I'm in favour

Lex
 alasdair19 14 Sep 2011
In reply to saintla - plenty of beta for routes here

www.skitourscotland.co.uk
 alasdair19 14 Sep 2011
In reply to alasdair19: Is it possible that ukclimbing and winterhighland have a non aggression pact, eg you have winter climbing and leave us the skiing?
 KennyWright 14 Sep 2011
In reply to andymoin:
Should those who rattle around on Split-Boards also be allowed to use the aforementioned ski-mountaineering forum?
 Swirly 14 Sep 2011
In reply to KennyWright: now you're talking.
 alasdair19 14 Sep 2011
In reply to KennyWright: they are allowed to use it but their profiles will have a little D for ******** next to it when they post.
Coire Bog 15 Sep 2011
In reply to KennyWright:

Only if they recognise that a split board is just a rubbish pair of skis which are required since the snowboard is probably the worst piece of equipment invented for mountain travel...
 Mattdevaal 15 Sep 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Great Idea.

don't think the great yaaawwwnnn ethic debate will trouble the skiing forum
 KennyWright 15 Sep 2011
In reply to littlebopeep:
Oops... I appear to have stumbled once again into the dangerous territory that exists between skiers and snowboarders... I think I should stop making daft comments about winter activities I don’t really understand!
 HeMa 15 Sep 2011
In reply to KennyWright:

Of course...

Just remember that everyone is laughing behind yer back... But luckily a lot less than if you'd be using approach skis + snowboard (or snowshoes + snowboard).
Coire Bog 16 Sep 2011

Hi James, I think there might be a problem with this proposal however. I'd like to see it but UKC is populated by people who aren't really practitioners of the subject matter and it's rare to get a thread that doesn't involve filtering a lot of guff. The good content is lost amongst the overwhelming crap and arguments. The other thing I have observed here is that it appears that hardly anyone, relatively, from Scotland uses this forum and that's where the UK ski touring action is.

I don't want to be negative but I value my time and don't know if I could be arsed with arseholes. Maybe some kind of code of conduct in the new forum like "no crap"".
OP James Edwards 16 Sep 2011
In reply to Coire Bog:
I think I know what you are trying to say and yes the dynafit v Fritschi debate is a perennial favourite of many. I think that certain threads attract the armchair surfers but I remember last winter, I think it was, that there was a very interesting and informative thread on what are the best grade vii routes were. This thread remained nicely idiot free as it's topic was elitist and if I remember it had masses of views and the noisy silly people were content to read rather than be a tiddler swimming with the big fish. Empty vessels make the most noise in sailing and in life.
I do know of quite a few folk in Scotland who practice this in eccose and the wider world and many have a popped up on this thread. I think that most ski mountaineers are generally more seasoned people but there will inevitably be the odd chalet boy or girl who insists on speaking in a stream of barely intelligible americanisms even though they come from Guildford. Those who cherish elitism as I do can either mock them with calculated aplom or knowingly shake our heads (is there a smiley for this?) and ignore them and be thankful that when some of us were going through emotional puberty the Internet wasn't around to record it for posterity.
Many thanks from a very autumnal glen coe this week,
James

OP James Edwards 16 Sep 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Appologies, but this iPhone seems to not lime paragraphs at the moment.
James
 Oceanic 16 Sep 2011
In reply to Coire Bog:
>
> I value my time and don't know if I could be arsed with arseholes.

I'm kind of an expert in another adventure sport (nothing to do with mountains). I don't post very much on the web forum for that sport, because people very rarely say anything that interests me. Occasionally somebody raises an interesting point, and if they do I get involved in the discussion.

I'm an intermediate skier, so I post much more on skiing forums. I find that I can learn a lot more by discussing things that I know less about. That's the way internet forums usually work. If you don't like it, you don't have to get involved.
 HeMa 16 Sep 2011
> I think that most ski mountaineers are generally more seasoned people but there will inevitably be the odd chalet boy or girl who insists on speaking in a stream of barely intelligible americanisms even though they come from Guildford.

d00d, I aint from Guilford.

But a ski-phorum would be rAd... more so, if it was mostly about jibbin' and stuff. Like how to best do a truck driver kangoroo loop.

That would be awesome bro.

Oh, and dynafiddles all the way.

[threat]
Hey, UKC peeps, set up the darn forum... or I'll start spewin' shite like this all winter on both winter climbing and alpine forums.
[/threat]
Tim Chappell 16 Sep 2011
In reply to Oceanic:
>
I find that I can learn a lot more by discussing things that I know less about.

This seems to be most UKCers' rule
 Freetime 17 Sep 2011
I'm up for that. I've seen a huge increase in Ski Touring in recent years and the gear is getting better. I'm sellinbg a lot of Fritschi and companies like G£ are making a dent. It's useful to know where the conditions are good etc.
Phil Tinning: Freetime Carlisle.
 baldie_chick 17 Sep 2011

Sounds like a nice idea.
snowtime 17 Sep 2011
I,m definitely up for that! I live in St Gervais near Chamonix for 7 months of the year & very active in the last 2 years & looking to ski some morethis season. Great 2 talk about kit, routes,conditions & maybe even hook up some ski buddies! I ski mainly around the Chamonix area great touring possible from Les COntamines, good early season when glaciers are more dangerous1 if anyone needs accom. equipment got useful contacts over here..i have a twitter account called ski vagabond idea is to share my adventures each winter & comment on conditions, snow quality etc routes being considered..My twitter name is SkiVagabond please follow & share ideas
snowtime 17 Sep 2011
In reply to Coire Bog: granted skis are far superior for transport generally but lets have a balanced view! Snowboards are incredible fun, have helped in the development of modern skis & in really tight spots can slip side more effectively than skis & don't come off which makes for better recovery when things go wrong.. Lets face it mountains are big enough to share the terrain so adopt a snow boarder & make friends..
snowtime 17 Sep 2011
In reply to Freetime: switched to dynafit last season for a super lightweight positive ski, more people are using them than ever. More beefy binding are available better for the freeride..
 Seocan 18 Sep 2011
In reply to parafinn:
well said parafinn. As long as the 'if it isn't 7c it's not worth speaking about' brigade keep out it has a chance of becoming a valuable forum, till then i'm with winterhighland.
 Velvet.Ice 18 Sep 2011

I do a lot of snowboard touring/mountaineering (yes, with snowshoes), and I think this is a great idea (provided us boarders aren't excluded, of course).
 Fish 19 Sep 2011
Plus one for a ski forum
 Theseboots 21 Sep 2011
In reply to James Edwards: I'm for it,great idea
 frecro 30 Sep 2011
In reply to andymoin:

yes to the forum
 brianrunner 30 Sep 2011

yes from me too (only just noticed this thread about a month late!) and I am based near Inverness. There will be loads of Scottish skiers on UKC.

brian
Simon05 01 Oct 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Another vote for this forum, long time overdue.
macstinator 01 Oct 2011
In reply to Simon05: So - clearly tons of folk up for it, as well as the peppering of those who would oppose fresh air, were it new, so what can be done about it?
 team fat belly 13 Oct 2011
Yes, a good idea.
 Ron Walker 13 Oct 2011
In reply to meh:

WinterHighlands been doing that since the 1990's!

Cheers Ron
Yes please!

I guess it might be important to clarify boundaries with Winter/ Exped and Alpine - how people would know where to post. e.g. if you're writing about skiing to a climb, where do you write?
 David Peters 13 Oct 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Charlie don't surf and Mods don't ski !
 beardy mike 13 Oct 2011
In reply to James Edwards: 111 replies and not a single one from the site owner... I guess he's not interested?
 Ben Briggs 13 Oct 2011
In reply to James Edwards: There are already biking and running forums so why not skiing? Dont know how hard it would be to add but seems like a lot of people would use it, i would. So another vote for one.
 meh 13 Oct 2011
In reply to Ron Walker:

Holy necro-reply!

That's was my point in reply to Erik B's post literally just above the one you replied too.
macstinator 13 Oct 2011
In reply to meh: but a bit of a moot point, as if people wanted to draw upon the wisdom of winterhighland, then they wouldn't be asking for a dedicated forum here!

How does one contact an admin?
 Doug 13 Oct 2011
In reply to macstinator: isn't Winterhighland mostly about Scotland? many of us ski elsewhere
 TobyA 13 Oct 2011
In reply to macstinator: Alan is the general site manager being the ultimate owner of UKC if I understand correctly. You can contact him, unsurprisingly, through the contact page! http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/email.html?d=1
 Fish 18 Oct 2011
In reply to TobyA:
I'm sure it's been said earlier but surely skiing or at least ski mountaineering / touring has more to do with 'climbing' than biking? How come we've a biking forum but no skiing forum ......

(bump)
macstinator 18 Oct 2011
In reply to Fish: I know - say if I biked into a route, and did a winter route - which forum would I put that in?
 Fish 19 Oct 2011
In reply to macstinator: expedition and alpine,surely?
 Chris the Tall 19 Oct 2011
Another one keen on a ski forum

I have some questions to ask about ski mountaineering
 Null 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:

It's snowing in the Alps
 stevev 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Erstwhile: The local radio is saying the snowline will be down to 500m overnight
 stevev 19 Oct 2011
In reply to stevev: Österreich

Heute Abend, heute Nacht

Eine Kaltfront zieht durch, in manchen Regionen steht ein Wintereinbruch bevor! Regen und Schneefall breiten sich von Westen nach und nach auf ganz Österreich aus. Es kühlt deutlich ab, sodass die Schneefallgrenze auf 1000 bis etwa 500m sinkt. Stellenweise kann es aber noch weiter herunter schneien. So dürfte es z.B. in Kärnten, im oberen Murtal und in der Weststeiermark in den frühen Morgenstunden sogar bis in die Niederungen winterlich sein! Außerdem bläst zum Teil kräftiger Nordwestwind. Tiefstwerte: minus 1 bis plus 5 Grad.

Null 20 Oct 2011
In reply to stevev:
> (In reply to Erstwhile) The local radio is saying the snowline will be down to 500m overnight

Looking out my window I would say about 1200 m (in the Dolomites). Not a huge amount but if it lasts then a minimum base for when it snows properly. Forecast cold.
 David Peters 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: It does seem a bit odd that there has not been a peep from the forum admins on this one. Despite a consistent and sizeable request for a separate board for ski / ski mountaineering issues there has been no response, not even in the negative. There must be some other agenda going on here ( no wishing to tread on toes etc) as less climbing related boards have been created without too much pressure (cycling, running etc).

A simple 'no' might help to clarify or maybe it wouldn't
 walts4 20 Oct 2011
In reply to David Peters:
>
> A simple 'no' might help to clarify or maybe it wouldn't

Well overdue for sure.

macstinator 20 Oct 2011
In reply to James Edwards: I just sent a message to "Alan" the site god to ask for one.

I will post his response.
In reply to David Peters:

Sorry, A bit short staffed at the moment. I hadn't noticed this thread.

It takes a bit to set up a new forum but I will look into it.

Alan
 wildeybeast 20 Oct 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Another +1 in favour!
macstinator 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Can'r ask for more than that! Thanks!
 Null 20 Oct 2011
> (In reply to David Peters)
>
> It takes a bit to set up a new forum but I will look into it.
>

I can post info on conditions in the Dolomites/Eastearn Italian Alps (hopefully with help from Kean, the Powderbeast of Montebelluno)

Kean 20 Oct 2011
In reply to top cat:
> We definately need this!
>
> It is bizzare that we have a biking forum but no ski M.

Totally agree
 Kean 20 Oct 2011
In reply to kean:Anybody fancy grappling with the Italian, this is the main forum for current routes and conditions (plus links to numerous weather sites and the like in eastern Alps and Dollies.
http://www.thetop.it/
Just click on "contributi disponibili" for full list of routes.

(wait a minute, should have posted this on the ski mountaineering forum...)
 bennys89 20 Oct 2011
In reply to James Edwards: great idea, definitely be very useful
 Henry Iddon 20 Oct 2011

Posted on Winterhighland today

"Skinned from the zig zags. Skied from Marquis Wells to the top station on firm packed good quality snow. During a late lunch the temperature rose and the snow turned much softer. Skied down the Fairway and M2 which had good cover high up and with a bit of route picking managed to get to top of the Daylodge poma. Much than yesterday as you could see the surface."
macstinator 21 Oct 2011

Hi Ross

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Skiing Forum should be going live next week.

Cheers

Alan
OP James Edwards 21 Oct 2011
In reply to macstinator:
Well done that man.
All we need now is some snow...
James e
 Null 31 Oct 2011

> All we need now is some snow...

We have a wee bit of snow already in the Eastern Alps, with more forecast next weekend, so looking promising. In the meantime we have another week of perfect sunny rock climbing weather to endure.

stevev 31 Oct 2011
In reply to James Edwards: lots of snow around the austrian glaciers. From pitzal i notic ed tracksheading out to the wildsp last weekite
 Phatman 01 Nov 2011
Was about to add my weight to this thread but i see that a forum is in the works. Looking forward to the ski season, i'll be skiing in NE America (Adirondacks, Vermont), Eastern Ontario and Southern Quebec (Canada)
 HeMa 01 Nov 2011
In reply to Phatman:

Oh come on... bunch of cheap flights to say SLC from the ice coast...
 Si 01 Nov 2011
In reply to James Edwards: Can I add a Yes please vote!
 Phatman 02 Nov 2011
In reply to HeMa:

Huh?

Sure you can get cheap flights to plenty of places but there's plenty of options within driving distance too. Plenty of weekends away.
 HeMa 02 Nov 2011
In reply to Phatman:

While the Ice Coast might have reasonable skiing... it's a far cry from UT blower.

Welcome to the new Skiing Forum

Alan
 Denni 03 Nov 2011

Yay!!

Power to the people ;0)
 deepstar 03 Nov 2011
>
> Welcome to the new Skiing Forum
>
> Alan

Hoorah!
 beardy mike 03 Nov 2011
In reply to James Edwards: My god! It worked! Edwards, you are an evil genius!
 Chris the Tall 03 Nov 2011
Excellant

How long before the boarders are demanding independence.....
 JR 03 Nov 2011

Alright! Nice one

And the Iran pics are great (I would say that)

But seriously the skiing over there is incredible. If anyone wants any beta then send me a mail...
 Tom Briggs 03 Nov 2011

Excellent!
Bobz 03 Nov 2011
In reply to John Roberts (JR):hey john, where can i find more info on Iranian skiing. pics look great, and am always up for cultural challenges!
 JR 03 Nov 2011
In reply to Adventure Medical Kits:

email me any Qs - john@jr-climbing.co.uk

there's not much info out there as very few westerners have skied there

happy to give you the beta
 Sean Kelly 03 Nov 2011
In reply to James Edwards: This site just keeps getting better and better! Congrats to all the team.

aboot time we have our own forum, woop woop.
mae 03 Nov 2011
In reply to sneaks: nice one.reckon this will be a sweet addition.good effort ukc.
Tim Chappell 03 Nov 2011
Yay! Powder to the people!

Is Glen Clova in yet, anyone?
 Andy Lagan 03 Nov 2011
Nice one Guys. UKClimbing is an amazing site, and I love skiing/snowboarding too. Check out my blog too if you're bored shitless : http://andylagan.wordpress.com backcountry snowboarding/splitboarding/skiing mainly around Chamonix.
 london_huddy 06 Nov 2011
In reply to andy.lagan: Another reason why ukc's brilliant, will look forward to using this a lot over the winter.
 Roberttaylor 07 Nov 2011
In reply to James Edwards: It will never happen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...