Courmayeur day tours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob84 03 Jan 2020

Does anyone have any good links to websites / guidebooks for ideas of good quality day tours around Courmayeur or any surrounding resorts easily accessible by public transport?

I'm off with a group at the weekend and having been for 3-4 day trips from Cham in the past I know how good the lift served off piste in the resort is after fresh snow, but it's looking like a high pressure is going to head off any new snow so we'll be needing to hike a bit to find the goods.

I've been checking out tour lines on maps and have the Mt Blanc Freeride guide, but any suggestions for other guidebooks, worthwhile day tours or less frequented lift served stuff would be hugely appreciated as I'm struggling to find much online. We're a pretty able group and don't mind remote/glacial terrain, but not looking for anything super steep/serious - anything up to a max of 40 degs should be manageable if not mega exposed/objectively dangerous. 

Finally, is there an Italian equivalent to the Cahier des Courses that the OHM have in Cham to get an idea of local conditions on the Italian side of Mt Blanc and what is getting done?

Cheers in advance for any beta!
Rob

Misha 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Rob84:

The Mont Blanc ski de randonnee guide book has a handful of routes in the Aosta valley. If you’re passing through Cham, have a look in the book shop opposite Snell, they have loads of touring guide books. Otherwise try a book shop in Courmayeur or the guides office there. 

brian_m 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Rob84:

The book 'Orizzonti Bianchi' is good. In Italian but got routes shown on maps and photos and it's still useful with limited Italian.

This website has ideas http://www.lovevda.it/it/sport/sci-alpinismo/itinerari

There are several good tours from La Thuile which is close and easy to get to by bus from Courmayeur.

Wishing I was going as snow not good in Scotland at the moment

OP Rob84 04 Jan 2020
In reply to Misha: Ah yes I had written off that guide (which I have) assuming it would be purely French focussed but I’ll have a look now. We’re flying into Turin so will only be in Cham if we decide to do a VB run/Breche Puisseux etc and get the bus back. Good idea though - I know the shop you mean and it always seems to have some great books not readily available back home. 

Post edited at 08:12
OP Rob84 04 Jan 2020
In reply to brian_m: cheers Brian - some good ideas on that website and I’ll keep an eye out for the book in shops in town too. 

I spent a day skiing the lifts in La Thule a few years ago when snow in Cham was poor and thought it was a cracking little resort. From looking at the map I had the Berrio Blanc in the back of my mind already as a potential trip but good to know there’s a few days worth there. (I only have a swisstopo map that cuts off the southern portion of La Thuile at the moment so need to get a local Italian map once we get into town.)

I feel your pain re Scottish snow - it was all looking so promising for a while before Christmas too. I’m sure it will be back with a vengeance before long though - keep the faith!

Post edited at 08:10
 Tim Davies 04 Jan 2020
In reply to Rob84:

I know it’s not what you’ve asked......but.....conditions around les contamines today were surprisingly good. Similar distance to travel and a choice of lift accessed or on foot depending on your tastes. 

OP Rob84 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Tim Davies: Cheers Tim - good to know  and Contamines is a great and underrated area but it would be a mission to get to in a day from Courmayeur on public transport

chris bedford 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Rob84:

There is a guidebook in the Olizane series (the 'white books') to Aosta, should be widely available in bookshops. It's excellent.

http://www.olizane.ch/article.php?IDrecord=273

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...