Running Sock Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam_42 23 Apr 2019

I competed in a half marathon a little over a week ago and was significantly slowed in the last quarter of the race due to pain in the soles of my feet. Having never taken running particularly seriously (at least not as seriously as climbing) I have very little proper "kit" beyond some decent running shoes. I'm concerned my standard-issue trainer socks may have been the cause of my discomfort and was wondering if anyone here could recommend any running-specific socks so that I can avoid this issue in future races.

The New NickB 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Adam_42:

I mainly use More Mile socks, bought from Start Fitness. Nothing fancy, but they do the job and they are cheap.

TMM 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Adam_42:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilly-Marathon-Fresh-Running-Socks/dp/B01CU9HJ2A

I've been using these for almost a year now and they are fantastic for road and trail runs. Love them!

wbo 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Adam_42:try a few different to see if you prefer thick or very thin.  I like Nike dri fit thin socks - no problems, last ages longer than most others

mbh 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Adam_42:

I use any old running sock. 

EuanM 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Adam_42:

Hilly Ultra for me. 

Never had any rubbing or hot spots and they’re pretty durable. 

Ridge 23 Apr 2019
In reply to wbo:

> try a few different to see if you prefer thick or very thin.  I like Nike dri fit thin socks - no problems, last ages longer than most others

Nike dri fit seem to be pretty much indestructible, although if buying cheap from an outlet check the sizes (mine were US not UK sized..). I like them for road runs, but prefer something a bit thicker for off road. I quite liked tge Alpkit double socks, but have the odd issue with being unable to stop the inner sock rucking up inside the outer.

Dark-Cloud 23 Apr 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Me too, best sock I have used.

OP Adam_42 25 Apr 2019

Thanks for the recommendations all. Much appreciated. Will definitely take a look at the Hillys and the Nike dri fits.

elliot.baker 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Adam_42:

Aldi! Get yourself to Aldi! I've bought all my running and cycling socks from there and they are brilliant. 

I also wear them hiking underneath thicker socks and I never get blisters anymore.

Sometimes they only have them during running / cycling events (but they are reasonably frequent) but some Aldi's will just have some lying around if they haven't all been sold.

shuffle 25 Apr 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

I have several pairs of the More Mile socks too. Cheap, comfy and more durable than other more expensive brands I've tried. 

I find Injinji really good too, but they are pricey and the individual toes are not everyone's cup of tea.

Post edited at 16:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...