Fell Running: The Rules

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 01 May 2017

Road cyclists have a long established set of sartorial rules.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

It's time for a set for fell running. Ideas?

1. It is not acceptable to wear the trio of shoes, shorts and jacket from the same manufacturer UNLESS one is sponsored. Or a euro trail runner.
2. Black shorts / tights / 3/4 lengths only.
3. Tights OVER socks.
Post edited at 17:36
 ianstevens 01 May 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

4. It doesn't matter how much you spend on kit, someone will have run your route faster in crappy trainers in the 70s/80s
5. Harden the f*ck up (no need to change that one, we can also nick 6 and 10, and I'm sure there is a good one re: descending)
7. The only recovery drink required is beer.
8. Don't expect a medal at a race, but some soup that you can never quite pin down the taste of.
 TMM 01 May 2017

9. Gore-Tex lined shoes are NOT for fell running
10. No headphones
11. No handheld water bottles
12. Handbands/Earmuff for Continental Europeans only
 Roberttaylor 01 May 2017
In reply to TMM:

I must disagree with 12. My ears get freezing sans buff.
 ianstevens 01 May 2017
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Seconded, but only on the caveat that it's sub-freezing AND you can pull off the pro-euro look.
 planetmarshall 01 May 2017

> Road cyclists have a long established set of sartorial rules. http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ It's time for a set for fell running. Ideas?

Yes. Just go for a run, rules are for cyclists.
 ablackett 01 May 2017
13. Walking poles are for walking.
14. Overtrousers are always carried, but should never be worn in any circumstances.
15. Bum bags, not race vests. Backpacks are acceptable for mountain marathons.
16. You are not currently fit, you do have a few niggles, you are just at the race to see how it goes, steady away, nothing daft.
17. You walk up the steep climbs, the only exceptions are, at the start of races, when passing walkers and when the photographer picks his camera up.
18. Jelly babies are the only acceptable food, and only if the race is an AL.
19. Club vests are the only appropriate upper body wear, exceptions can be granted for a long sleeve base layer under the vest if there is snow falling at the start line.
Post edited at 19:24
 mbh 01 May 2017

I know this thread is for fun, but ffs rulists, have you forgotten how scary it is to turn up for the first time to a fell run? I did, a couple of years ago, after miles and miles of training and hours and hours of angst that I would come last. What newby needs extra angst about what they wear? Just wear what you have got.
 ablackett 01 May 2017
In reply to mbh:

I would think of these as observations rather than rules.
 john arran 01 May 2017
In reply to ablackett:

> 19. Club vests are the only appropriate upper body wear, exceptions can be granted for a long sleeve base layer under the vest if there is snow falling at the start line.

On the rare occasions that I enter a fell or trail race, my usual goal is to finish ahead of anyone NOT wearing a club vest. Wouldn't be seen dead wearing one myself - that would mean being a member of a club. Yuk!

Chris the Tall 01 May 2017
In reply to TMM:

> 9. Gore-Tex lined shoes are NOT for fell running10. No headphones11. No handheld water bottles

Agree

> 12. Handbands/Earmuff for Continental Europeans only

Sorry, but given how much I sweat even in freezing conditions I'll ignore you on that one
 Brass Nipples 01 May 2017

Run with a buff NOT in the buff

Jim Hamilton 01 May 2017
In reply to john arran:

> On the rare occasions that I enter a fell or trail race, my usual goal is to finish ahead of anyone NOT wearing a club vest. Wouldn't be seen dead wearing one myself - that would mean being a member of a club. Yuk!

My one requirement would be - wear what you like, but wear your club vest with pride!
 Wainers44 01 May 2017

20. At least half the time have no idea where you are going when you set out, and a good run is measured by you not knowing for sure where you actually did go when you get back.
 DancingOnRock 01 May 2017
In reply to TMM:

12. I don't know what armbands or earmuffs are. Is a beanie ok?
 DaveHK 01 May 2017
In reply to ablackett:

> 15. Bum bags, not race vests.

I hate bum bags for anything other than short events. Once you start needing to carry water a race vest is a much better option IMO.

The New NickB 01 May 2017
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> 12. I don't know what armbands or earmuffs are. Is a beanie ok?

No, it needs to be a buff, ideally a cheap copy that you got free for completing another fell race.
 ianstevens 01 May 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

21. No real, on-brand buffs to be seen or used
 Roadrunner5 02 May 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

22. At the start line it is a requirement you list at least 3 excuses why you aren't fit at the moment..
23. Use of a map is cheating..
 ben b 02 May 2017
In reply to Roadrunner5:

The only allowable accessorising is with snot.

Points are awarded for colour clashes. Extra +10 for a 1997 Jura LAMM t-shirt, or +15 for finishing the Howgills 98 KIMM.

b
 steveriley 02 May 2017

24 "I'm just here for a run round to get some mileage in"
25 When deciding on race entries, always check likelihood of soup, cake and beer at the end.
Removed User 02 May 2017

25. Training is cheating.
 Chris Harris 02 May 2017

26. If anyone starts a UKC thread about under-equipped punters on Crib Goch, immediately counter by pointing out how you run along it in T-shirt, shorts & trainers, even when it's minus eleventy.
 J Brown 02 May 2017
In reply to mbh:

> I know this thread is for fun, but ffs rulists, have you forgotten how scary it is to turn up for the first time to a fell run? I did, a couple of years ago, after miles and miles of training and hours and hours of angst that I would come last. What newby needs extra angst about what they wear? Just wear what you have got.

Indeed - I remember being scared stiff before I showed up for my first hill race (Scotland, so not fells, but same thing) - but it turned out that the hill running community is extremely informal and welcoming - so any newby reading this thread thinking about a first race this summer - don't worry, just go for it.
 J Brown 02 May 2017
27. Long / Compression socks - ok in ultras, but not in hill / fell races.
28. Buffs wrapped around wrists (still not sure what that's for) - ok in ultras, but not in hill / fell races.
29. Don't whip out your mobile phone to take a couple of snaps at the top.
Post edited at 13:38
 Tony the Blade 02 May 2017
In reply to TMM:

> 11. No handheld water bottles

In fact, no water at all unless it's a race of at least 10 miles.

It makes me chuckle to see Park Runners running with a 500ml bottle, just in case.
 tony 02 May 2017
In reply to J Brown:

> Indeed - I remember being scared stiff before I showed up for my first hill race (Scotland, so not fells, but same thing) - but it turned out that the hill running community is extremely informal and welcoming - so any newby reading this thread thinking about a first race this summer - don't worry, just go for it.

I can remember turning up for a well-known hill race in Scotland where most of the runners were obviously regulars, and what with it being a nice pleasant dry March day, were all set to run in t-shirt/vest and shorts, with one bloke, either massively miscalculating, or not knowing the drill, turning up at the start line dressed in his full body cover, looking distinctly out-of-place. He was swiftly reassured he didn't really need all the kit for a 4-mile up and down, and disrobed quickly, and quite enjoyed his run.

And as for The Rules ... please do f*ck off.
 Rampikino 02 May 2017
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> In fact, no water at all unless it's a race of at least 10 miles.It makes me chuckle to see Park Runners running with a 500ml bottle, just in case.

Why? Does that make you feel superior?

How a runner hydrates themselves is up to them really.
Moley 02 May 2017

If you are not carrying an injury you shouldn't be racing (unfair advantage on the rest of the field).
A bin liner was fine for body cover in the old days, could even afford a new one for every race.
 wercat 02 May 2017

what are the best colour leg warmers to wear? Should they match my tint?

DaveHK 02 May 2017

30. Just accept that you will start too fast.
 Chris the Tall 02 May 2017

> In fact, no water at all unless it's a race of at least 10 miles.It makes me chuckle to see Park Runners running with a 500ml bottle, just in case.

God forbid that any "Park Runners" might decide to give fell-running a go.....
 The New NickB 02 May 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

My local parkrun actually meets the criteria for a CS fell race!
Removed User 02 May 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

> 26. If anyone starts a UKC thread about under-equipped punters on Crib Goch, immediately counter by pointing out how you run along it in T-shirt, shorts & trainers, even when it's minus eleventy.

And with hands behind your head
In reply to Rampikino:

Ooo I'm sorry, I thought this thread was meant to be tongue in cheek. I missed your comments to all the other superior athletes.

Yeah I am superior, I don't think it I know it... how? Because I drink beer when running, that's what real men do.

Lighten up mate ffs. :-D

See my comment above.

(I don't even run park runs, so am not remotely qualified to comment on their fluid intake - it was meant as a tongue in cheek comment, akin to so many others on this thread)

galpinos 02 May 2017

> God forbid that any "Park Runners" might decide to give fell-running a go.....

I think it's called banter?

As a member of a running club from a city suburb we regularly get heckled at fell races, normally along the lines of, "Shouldn't you be at a ParkRun?", "This is a stile, do you need it explaining?" and "There's no chai lattes at the finish I'm afraid".
 The New NickB 02 May 2017
In reply to galpinos:

I don't think there was any of that at the fell race I marshalled at last month, although I did have to try and sort out the confusion when one of your male members accidentally registered as a woman. We are much more sensitive about such things these days, given the actions of a certain ex British fell champion.
 didntcomelast 02 May 2017

Our running club coach insisted that only a club vest and shorts should be worn for races no matter what the time of year or weather conditions. No compression tops or tights underneath allowed. I remember one race where I slipped down a snowy hillside on my backside and the snow filled the back of my shorts, that was a hard run, that was.
Lusk 02 May 2017

Real fell runners drink their own piss or lick the sweat off flagging, fellow runners to re-hydrate.

There's only one rule if you ask me, you've got to be mad to be a fell runner.
(just envy, I can't run to save my life and wish I could cover big mileage over the moors etc. in quick time, more time in the pub afterwards.)
 galpinos 02 May 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

Ha! Quite.......

We get less banter now as we tend to get everywhere.
 wbo 02 May 2017
In reply to didntcomelast: im guessing you didn't ensure the pleasure of the national at Leeds where a marshall died of exposure .

To the op: im going to challenge the very Notion of this thread - traditional cyclists sartorial elegance? White socks above the ankle and little caps - ok for fancy dress as tweedle dee but otherwise.......... No rules !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...