What happened to Jimmy Hamilton (South Ridge Direct and Agag's)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iain Thow 25 Mar 2024

The recent death of Hamish Hamilton of Buffalo etc made we wonder what happened to the other Hamish Hamilton (real name Jimmy). After putting up South Ridge Direct and Agag's Groove and playing a starring role in "Always a Little Further" he seems to virtually vanish, which seems odd for such a keen and memorable character. The SMC database mentions a couple of minor routes in the 40's, but I couldn't find an obituary. Anyone know any more?

Dave Hewitt 25 Mar 2024
In reply to Iain Thow:

Funnily enough like you I was thinking of this HH when the other HH died. I've got a few notes on him courtesy of my early Munroist research - he finished a round (main summits only, not Tops) in 1954 and is no.22 in the published list although at least no.28 in overall terms.

Born 1911 or 1912, died 1990 or 1991. Lived on the south side of Glasgow, then in Paisley (Thornly Park Ave). Full name James Felix Hamilton but when he joined the Tricouni Club they already had a Jimmy Hamilton so he became Hamish. His SMC obit (Vol.34, p718) describes him as a "salesman by occupation and mountaineer by disposition". He once climbed a 180ft tree. The late Miles Hutchinson knew him and told me that he (HH) tidied up his Irish Furth Munros in 1956 with Paddy Heron.

Hope that helps. Clearly a notable character.

Post edited at 11:35
OP Iain Thow 25 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Cheers Dave. The obits are interesting. Hadn't made the connection with Hamilton's Route in Coire Mhic Fhearchair, and he also put up The Edge at Loudoun Hill, apparently, so not many new routes but four classics.

Davy Gunn 25 Mar 2024
In reply to Iain Thow:

See below a picture picked up at a flea market for £5 which I think was signed by Hamish Hamilton 

Cam Forrest 25 Mar 2024
In reply to Iain Thow:

Had a day on the hill with Hamish and some friends of my Dad's when I was still at school. 29th February 1964. Not that long after I'd read Always a Little Further, so a case of advanced hero worship. We did the Cruachan Ridge. I've a little innocent note in a schoolboy's diary that I've kept: "tremendous fun with HH - he's a great guy with a real twinkle in his eye. H pulled his bunnet down and drove past the No Entry signs right up to the Cruachan Dam. Kept us roaring with laughter all day. He was always joking about blood cholesterol (- strange comment...)."  Went in to Inverarnan for dinner - run by the famous Girvan sisters as a temperance establishment. IIRC the food cost 5/-, ie 25p. My note finishes: "Bill Murray sat beside me at dinner..."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...