The Captain

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Matt Podd 19 Apr 2024

I hear from Stevie Haston that Cliff Phillips has died. A large character in the North Wales Climbing scene.

The Captain has begun his final Journey and the world is a sadder place.

BlownAway 19 Apr 2024
In reply to Matt Podd:

Oh my word that’s sad news. Cliff was a great bloke.

Rest in peace Cosmic Cliff.

OP Matt Podd 19 Apr 2024
In reply to Matt Podd:

Some fine anecdotes about him coming out on Stevie’s fb.

In reply to Matt Podd:

One of the great characters in N Wales climbing. I remember giving him a lift a couple of times to the Vaynol in the mid 70s. A very nice guy.

NYork 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Matt Podd:

Leo Dickinson’s comments in 2010 sum things up well.

“Cliff Phillips is still around but sadly not his original self although I'm not quite sure I ever knew. Talented - dedicated - and brilliant on both technical rock and hard alpine climbs and together with Eric they soloed a huge amount in both N Wales and the Alps. When Mick Burke reviewed Cliff's application to join the ACG (Alpine Climbing Group - an offshute of our Alpine Club) he remarked, "Bloody hell he's done more routes that the rest of the group put together."

I got in with 6 noted 'Grand Courses' such as the Phillip-Flamm on the Civetta, Brandler-Hasse on the Cima Grande (then done with aid! show off Germans!!!)the Bonatti Pillar (now fallen down from the Dru) but Cliff's list was 176 routes - truly impressive back then in the 60's. He soloed the N Face of the Piz Badille in 3.5 hrs. I suggest that without prior inspection that is still impressive.”

SuperTopo,  “Pete Minks - where is he” , Leo Dickinson 18th May 2010

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...