UKH

/ Silence's bolts to be chopped?!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Jandwilson - on 07 Sep 2018
ChrisBrooke - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

Nah, I reckon it’ll be alright. 

Bulls Crack - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

Come on; he could easily fiddle some wires in from those upside down toe-hooks. 

dunnyg - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

I bet that guy has never left America. 

Webster - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

made my day! obviously its very tongue in cheek but i rather agree with much of the sentiment

webbo - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

I wonder if he has a moustache to hide the fact, he’s got “Dick” tattooed on his top lip.

Ged Desforges - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Webster:

Really? What part do you agree with? That one of the best and most important crags in the world should've been left in climbed because its got the odd trad placement? 

Ged Desforges - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Webster:

Really? What part do you agree with? That one of the best and most important crags in the world should've been left in climbed because its got the odd trad placement? 

Wiley Coyote2 - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

I think  a few people need to go to settings and enable piss-taking from the drop down menu

cb294 - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

From the link:

Unsent /un-sent/ 1. To have failed so badly on a route you had previously climbed that you negate your redpoint. 2. A humor column.

CB

Fergal - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Webster:

Says the complete punter who thinks the Long climb is comparable to the north face of the Eiger.

PPP - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

Guy's not even wearing a shirt, do you expect him to carry cams up the route???

john yates55 - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to webbo:

Hope you don’t have to wait too long for the humour transplant. 

webbo - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to john yates55:

That was supposed to be funny. I guess if you are five or American it might be.

wintertree - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to webbo:

> That was supposed to be funny. I guess if you are five or American it might be.

For a moment I thought you were talking about Spaceballs the Movie, or basically anything else by Mel Brooks...

Webster - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Fergal:

wow, arent you a prick

Jonas Wiklund - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

I understand the column is supposed to be funny, and since humor is subjective there might even be people who found it amusing. Nonetheless, the proposal made me think: would it even be possible to chop the bolts from Silence without leaving some fixed gear in? How would you go about to do that? Considering that it is basically a 60 degree roof for a rope length.

Post edited at 21:31
Wiley Coyote2 - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Jonas Wiklund:

> I understand the column is supposed to be funny, and since humor is subjective there might even be people who found it amusing.

Oh Lordy, Lordy. Nothing kills a joke like having to have it explained but, for those who do, he is not taking the mickey out of Ondra or the route. He is laughing at - you might even call it satirising - those people who actually do complain that routes like Silence should not be bolted and he is doing by  deliberately exaggerating their silly comments to a laughable level.  And perhaps - sorry about this -  also having a little chortle at humorless souls who fall for it and  actually believe it is a genuine rant. Geddit now?  I did warn you it would kill the joke.

Jonas Wiklund - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Jesus wept, of course I (along with most everyone else) understand who is satirised. 

Cusco - on 07 Sep 2018

It should be.

Even at Carn Vellan.

Misha - on 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

Pretty funny. It seems a few people here didn’t realise this is just good old humour...

Misha - on 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Fergal:

> Says the complete punter who thinks the Long climb is comparable to the north face of the Eiger.

It isn’t? Is it much harder? I was planning on doing the ‘38 route to prepare for the Long Climb but may be I need to throw in No Siesta as well just to be sure?

Blanche DuBois - on 08 Sep 2018
In reply to who knows, and frankly who cares:

UKC at it's finest!

sheppy on 10 Sep 2018
In reply to Jandwilson:

quality, still chuckling now.... Maybe I need to take a time out in my "safe space"

DubyaJamesDubya - on 10 Sep 2018

> Jesus wept, of course I (along with most everyone else) understand who is satirised. 

Not you but it seems a few were 'taken in'

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.