Need help finding out what route I done on Tryfan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So about last year I done a route up Tryfan I was ment to do the north ridge but i know for a fact it wasn’t there was one bit we’re like u had to jump a gap and after that there was a rock move were u had to pull you’re self up and there was no hand holds and it was on the right side that rock thing cuz there was a scramble to the left and to the right and then I fell of it then I went and found another way and it led me to the top of the north tower does anyone know what route it was and I know it wasn’t the north ridge cuz I came down the north ridge after being scared of the tower 

Post edited at 20:06
 GrahamD 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

The N Ridge of Tryfan isn't a single line.  You can make it as hard or as easy as you want to depending on the line you take.

In reply to GrahamD:

Ik that But I’m almost certain it wasn’t the north ridge 

In reply to GrahamD:

Also I remember i went off more to the east 

Blue Straggler 12 Jul 2020

Is your keyboard broken?

In reply to Blue Straggler:

No

bouldery bits 12 Jul 2020

Sav, is that you?

In reply to bouldery bits:

Who’s that lol

Donotello 12 Jul 2020

Christ bud, take a breather. Then we might be able to help figure out what you done did.

In reply to Donotello:

Ok so do u know what I did ?

webbo 12 Jul 2020

> So about last year I done a route up Tryfan I was ment to do the north ridge but i know for a fact it wasn’t there was one bit we’re like u had to jump a gap and after that there was a rock move were u had to pull you’re self up and there was no hand holds and it was on the right side that rock thing cuz there was a scramble to the left and to the right and then I fell of it then I went and found another way and it led me to the top of the north tower does anyone know what route it was and I know it wasn’t the north ridge cuz I came down the north ridge after being scared of the tower 

I think it was Suspended Sentence that you did.

In reply to webbo:

Ok thank you let me check it

In reply to webbo:

I couldn’t find it

aln 12 Jul 2020

Yeah but no but but yeah..... etc. 

In reply to webbo:

> I think it was Suspended Sentence that you did.

Genius work! 

birdie num num 12 Jul 2020

I think you did Fourth Pinnacle Rib

Andy Hardy 12 Jul 2020

Do you have a guidebook for Tryfan?

In reply to Andy Hardy:

I have Steve Ashtons

In reply to birdie num num:

Isn’t that grade 3 ?

In reply to GrahamD:

I think I've done the north ridge about 5 times over as many decades, and each time it's felt completely different. There are just so many different lines and variations you can take. But the north ridge is the north ridge. You can't mistake it for anything else (e.g. one of the right-hand buttresses on the east face. Because for those you have to traverse hundreds of feet away from the north ridge along the Heather Terrace. )

Darron 12 Jul 2020
In reply to webbo:

Excellent😀

Does pinnacle rib have have a bit we’re u have to cross this gap and there is like a 100 m drop and you have no hand holds and after that theres 2 options to go one looks like a really hard scramble on the left and the right one has this blocky scramble with no hand holds ?

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Ye ik what you’re saying but the thing is I didn’t see the cannon stone or nothing and there was really exposed like crack drop thing u had to almost jump over with no hand holds wich is certainly not grade 1

But the Pinnacle Rib routes are nowhere near the north ridge! And they're MUCH more than scrambling. 

ye I just looked up pinacle rib it’s no way near as bad as that the route what I went up looked like Bastow buttress but I’m not 100 percent sure 

Suncream 12 Jul 2020

I've done the North Ridge three times and never found the cannon stone. By the easiest line the North Ridge is certainly grade 1 that doesn't mean you can't take a harder line if you want or by accident. And that doesn't mean that other line has its own name.

The exposed bit you're talking about might be crossing the Notch if you accidentally take the eastern traverse. It might not be though, and frankly it doesn't really matter.

If you really want to map out exactly where you went, you could try looking on Google Earth, which has unreasonably high resolution in that area.

Well, Bastow Buttress is the only thing other than the north ridge that possibly fits your description, so that could be what you did, though I still think it more likely that you did one of the variations on the north ridge.

Post edited at 23:51
In reply to Suncream:

Yes I went to the east 

> No

Are you sure? 

Is it possible to go on the north ridge and accidentally go on to Bastow buttress ?

I suppose so. But it's a bit odd. I don't know what would make you go round there, it's just so obviously off route. I don't remember any particular obstacles on the first bit of the north ridge. It got trickier much higher up.

I remember I just went on the first rock I seen like I took the direct route what ever that is 

Oh and it started off as this gully what u walk up 

birdie num num 13 Jul 2020

You may have strayed onto Belle View Bustiness

What’s that 

GerM 13 Jul 2020

> Ok so do u know what I did ?

I might have to check the guidebook, but I'm pretty sure what you did was go for a walk and got a bit lost.

In reply to GerM:

No it was no way near a walk it was at least grade 1 + scrambling 

Alkis 13 Jul 2020

If you started at the north tip and ended up on the summit, you did North Ridge. I have done that ~20 times and literally never done the same route twice. I have done easy scrambling, VS soloing, jumping gaps and everything inbetween. North Ridge is not a set route as such and until you get to the last bit it is a really rather wide cone of rock with many many routes.

Post edited at 10:05
 Michael Hood 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Suncream:

> If you really want to map out exactly where you went, you could try looking on Google Earth, which has unreasonably high resolution in that area.

It's not unreasonable, it's brilliant. You can waste ages seeing how many climbs you can find in detail, Cromlech and Dinas Mot particularly excellent 😁

Just needs the same resolution in the Lakes, Peak District, Scotland, all of UK, the world...

Alkis 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Suncream:

> If you really want to map out exactly where you went, you could try looking on Google Earth, which has unreasonably high resolution in that area.

It's high enough that I used it to find the base of a route up Glyder Fawr in a complete white out. Totally cheating at navigation right there.

Post edited at 10:10
In reply to Alkis:

I downloaded the app on iPhone and I don’t know how to use it

Alkis 13 Jul 2020

Also, top tip: Google Earth is a **much** better topo of Lliwedd than Rockfax... 😆

GerM 13 Jul 2020

Yeah, but even though it is really good fun, grade 1 scrambling is really just walking on steeper bits of rock isn't it?

Post edited at 13:25
In reply to GerM:

Not really some are like I think crib goch is more of a walk than a scramble but I wouldn’t count Tryfan as just a work nor bristly ridge 

Billhook 17 Jul 2020

Why on earth don't you buy a guide book, Scrambles in Wales' or something.

Someone with your lack of knowledge and experience shouldn't really be wandering around the hills and scrambling without a good guidebook.

Have you ever climbed on grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...