Yorkshire crag (nr Grassington) for kids (<10yrs) for this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richrob 25 Jul 2023

Yorkshire - crag for kids

It’s a bit of a long shot but can anyone recommend a crag/boulders which might be dry enough this weekend to take the kids.

Staying in grassington near Kinsey. I haven’t climbed in Yorkshire at all so just have Rockfax to go off.

The kids are good little climbers but <10yrs and not really up for all day/all weather epics just yet; more like a morning top roping/bouldering/scrambling.

any ideas appreciated!

cheers 

rich

plyometrics 25 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Rylestone, Crookrise, Embsay, maybe?

OP Richrob 25 Jul 2023
In reply to plyometrics:

Amazing thanks, can’t see Embsay in Rockfax but Rylestone and crookrise both look great.

At Crookrise do the shelf and Arsnic slab areas get a lot of top roping?

rich

Will Hunt 25 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

I don't think Crookrise or Rylstone are good recommendations to be honest. The Crookrise walk in is steep and bleak, the Rylstone approach is quite long. Crookrise is also tricky to get around with sometimes-awkward descents and bracken. I haven't been to Embsay so can't comment.

If you're looking for something more relaxed then Bull Scar is close by. I haven't been but know it's been popular with groups in the past. The only problem I can imagine you'd encounter there would be loose rock, maybe someone else can advise on whether that's likely to be an issue. The obvious option is Brimham which is the perfect kids playground. If you top rope them up stuff on the Cubic Block then lower them back down as opposed to topping out. There is an exposed slither/jump to negotiate on the descent and a fall there would be nasty. Once they're bored of climbing you can enjoy scrambling to the top of the many towers and crawling through the little tunnels that are dotted about, or go to the kiosk for an ice cream.

Post edited at 15:26
OP Richrob 25 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Will thanks for all that detail. That is really helpful. Cubic block looks super 👍 

Exactly the sort of thing I’m after. 

Lankyman 25 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

If you don't mind a bit of wet then there are some interesting gill scrambles further up Wharfedale. I've only done Crook Gill and had to bypass some of the bigger falls but that wasn't a problem. There are other gill scrambles nearby and also Buckden Gill has some falls.

Dave Musgrove 25 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Bull Scar is perfect for kids and just above the village of conistone near Grassington. Easy to set up a top rope and rock quality very good for Yorkshire Limestone. It probably not in Rockfax though. 

OP Richrob 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks very much. Not tried gill scrambling, just looked it up. Definitely one for the future. 👍

OP Richrob 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

Bull scar sounds great - nothing I can see on Rockfax and UKC info is a bit limited. Is it in any guidebooks - might be able to ask the hut we are staying in.

EdS 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Bull Scar or Rolling Gate

andyflem 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Buckhaw Brow Buttress on the B6480 just out of Settle. Top of the hill opposite the old Scar Top Garage. 20 second walk in

Grit4Life 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Another vote for Brimham, probably one of the best 'family' crags out there. The climbing isn't necessarily the easiest throughout but as a place its got all the elements for a successful day out. Toilets, Small Cafe, Easy Parking (free if member of NT) and its other main attraction being 'weaselling' a sort of above ground caving where you can squeeze through various unique tubes and holes dotted around the whole rocks.

Not sure on the ability of your kids but Cubic is a good suggestion as is Cyclops area, bit low but easy routes. Another one of the easiest and most popular routes is Lichen Slab at Birch Tree Wall, easy to access and set up a Top Rope on too where they can actually get to top out. 

If they have a bit more climbing experience, cracked buttress 'cracked corner' is a good option as is some of the routes at Fag Slab. Easy to set up TR at cracked buttress, little more contrived at Fag Slab but still possible. 

Saturday currently looking dryish, so you should be ok but honestly there is so much to see and do for kids at this place, i've spent days there just doing the weaselling and perhaps an abseil. Its just a little drive from Grassington is all.

Will Hunt 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Cyclops and Lichen Slab both great suggestions and easy peasy to set up a top rope on.

Bit of a shameless plug for the Northern Rock guidebook here. It's got really clear coverage of Brimham, and Crook Gill & Strans Gill as well should you fancy them. Strans Gill is much drier and less intimidating than Crook, being mostly easy scrambling with an escapable Diff headwall at the end.

craig h 26 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Brimham is the obvious crag, even just exploring the huge jumble of boulders and rocks, crawling through rifts and playing in the woodland would easily fill a day. Plenty of easy stuff if you wanted to drop a rope and some nice summits to conquer.

Boy Global Crag Moderator 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

If you want somewhere a bit quieter than Brimham, Roundhill is a very good bet. https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/roundhill-10875/#overview

Post edited at 09:32
OP Richrob 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Thanks for all the great suggestions 👍

OP Richrob 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Boy:

Round hill looks great as well; the overview made me laugh:

’Great for families, all bilberries and no ferns.’

Sounds like they have met us!

EdS 27 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

As has been said...Brimham

It's only 30ish minutes from Grassngton.

Could tie it in with Stump Cross Caverns or a bite to eat at The Pancake House in Pateley Bridge

dunnyg 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Richrob:

Have taken kids to bull scar with mixed abilities around those ages, North facing so might be a bit wet this weekend? It's a cool walk up to it and parking is minutes from grassington. Possibly far for small people.

Rylestone has a couple of really good routes, president's slab etc., But if a walk uphill again but good spot.

There is some unrecorded bouldering on the limestone at knipe scar, between the "east" and west crags. Park in the field at the bottom and it is just to the right when you cross over. Again, super close to grassington and you can go past kilnsey. Wall in not too long. 

Brimham is a great suggestion, if pork pies are your thing, call into the pie shop there , or the spar in threshfield also does the same (?) incredible pies, and has a patisserie counter.

Slightly off topic, but if you are after a little walk, then doing a loop down to the bottom of trollers gill, poking round trollers gill cave (headtorch+ helmet useful!) and walking up trollers gill gives a fun couple of hour or 2 with an old mine, trollers, a river to play in/picnic etc., Plus stump cross cafe at the start/end.

Enjoy

Lankyman 28 Jul 2023
In reply to dunnyg:

> if pork pies are your thing, call into the pie shop there , or the spar in threshfield also does the same (?) incredible pies, and has a patisserie counter.

Talking of pies, kids would enjoy a visit to bag this 'pie' just beyond Bull Scar

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1509601

Park on the long bridge at Conistone and head up through Conistone Dib (another great feature!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...