Via ferrata around Malaga

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Norfolk 08 Dec 2023

Didn’t know if I should post this here or in hill walking.

Either way I’m wondering if someone knows of any accesable via ferratas around Malaga that you can go on by your own without a guide. I’m traveling down with my family to spend the christmas with my father in law who lives in Malaga and I would like to bring him and my brother in law on a day out in the mountains. They don’t have any climbing experience but are well fit and not afraid of moving around in mountain terrain. I have the proper safety equipment for us all, so therefore I don’t feel like spending alot of money to pay for a guide.
Any suggestions?

In reply to Norfolk:

I did one in Archidona last year that was pretty good, but its quite a way from Malaga for 1hr of via ferrata!

JoshShaw 08 Dec 2023
In reply to Norfolk:

In a village called Benaoján there is an excellent beginners via ferrata, I believe it's for children (edit: it is: see 'Via Ferrata Benaoján Infantil' on google maps) but I've used it to check competency and appetite for exposure (the biggest ladder is only 8m or so). Then across the road there is a more challenging via ferrata.

Most of the via ferrata in that area have little boards describing the routes, difficulty and access.

I believe you are allowed to use the routes without a guide.

Feel free to message me directly if you need more info. I'll also be there over Christmas so you may see me there

OP Norfolk 08 Dec 2023
In reply to ebdon:

Thanks for the tips! It looks nice, only downside is that it seems to be a zipline on it and I only have one tandem speed block, so I guess I’ll have to get two more if we would do it.

OP Norfolk 08 Dec 2023
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

Thanks!

An hours drive won’t be a problem, so might check it out. Do you have any more specific info on where it’s located?

ebdon 08 Dec 2023
In reply to Norfolk:

From the logbook comments it sounds like you can do it without, but depends on your appetite for such sketchyness! 

james1978 08 Dec 2023
In reply to Norfolk:

Possibly some short ones at Casares? 

OP Norfolk 08 Dec 2023
In reply to JoshShaw:

Wonderful tips! Thank you so much. Sent you a message as well.

OP Norfolk 08 Dec 2023
In reply to ebdon:

Ah, didn’t look there. Thanks, will look more thorough tomorrow then.

OP Norfolk 08 Dec 2023
In reply to james1978:

Thanks, will check that out.

danprince 08 Dec 2023
In reply to Norfolk:

If you take a rope/cord, then you can ferry a single pulley back and forth on the zipline on the Frontales VF.

I've also been across it just using quick draws. Not a recommendation, but it is possible...

babymoac 09 Dec 2023
In reply to danprince:

I did the Frontales VF a couple of months ago (unguided), we went to Finca La Campana to rent some pulleys. Just called in without booking ahead, rental was about 5-10 euro. Finca La Campana is about 10 mins drive up the road from the VF:
https://www.fincalacampana.com/en/via-ferrata.html

In reply to Norfolk:

If you are driving out to do the Benaojan one then the one just up the road near Montejaque is even better and could be done the same day. Malaga to Montejaque is about 1.5 hours drive via the Teba road . Recommend proper alloy pulley for Tyrolese zip although you can walk around this to avoid it. I am there from 6 Jan for 10 days if anyone fancies a day climbing 5’s and 6’s. https://www.malaga.es/en/laprovincia/naturaleza/lis_cd-5849/montejaque-via-...

In reply to Norfolk:

I can't find the site I used now, but it's on Google maps, go to Archidona and you should be able to search from there. There's a wire bridge but otherwise nothing too crazy. There's a board at the bottom with all the info iirc. The castle at the top is worth checking out, and some great tapas in the town

Baz P 16 Dec 2023
In reply to Norfolk:

I’ve done about 6 or 7 in this area. Found them all on deandar.com. This lists ferrata all over the world. The one in Rhonda wasn’t very good. 
One on my to do list is inland from Nerja, it doesn’t have cables but it has staples so you need quickdraws and a rope to lead it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...