UKC hive mind female mountain related bibliography help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 11 Jun 2023

I've been helping tidy up Lynn's bibliography of female linked climbing, mountaineering, mountain environment, and hill walking books today, and noticed an obvious gap and I wondered if anyone could help: specifically on books or pamphlets edited (or chapters written) by women in climbing, mountaineering, or hillwalking, guidebooks. She doesn't have many on the list and I suspect there must be a fair few she is missing, especially more recently outside the UK. Her list would include works translated into English.

duncan 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Valley of Giants: Stories from Women at the Heart of Yosemite Climbing. Compiled by Lauren DeLaunay Miller.

Highly recommended.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to duncan:

Cheers Duncan. I should have said we have that listed and its not really a climbing guidebook. We also have Froggatt, Skye Scrambles, Climb China, and various UK climbing chapters and some walking guides....I'll put up a list later on.

There are almost certainly over a thousand books on Lynn's list (including more than a hundred novels) yet so very few guidebooks.

Mark Haward 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Gwen Moffat, Julie Tullis, Jan Redford, Lynn Hill, Arlene Blum.

I will put my mind to remembering dome more...

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Mark Haward:

Which climbing or mountaineering guidebooks did they have a named chapter contributions in?... we have loads of authored books from them or about them listed and articles from them or about them in collections.

Lankyman 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Have you got Bonny Masson? She's credited (in the 1992 edition) as being the first female climbing guide author for her Twisleton Scar chapter of the 1985 Yorkshire Limestone guide.

Several female authors have been credited in subsequent editions as well I think.

Post edited at 17:31
 Doug 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Have you looked at the various books by Hilary Sharp ? several walking & snowshoeing guides for the Alps

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Cheers... pretty sure we have the book but missed that. Worth the thread for that alone. Can't work out quite how we missed that since quite a few women contributed to '92.

Incidently Shirley Bull was 1980 for Black Cuillin Scrambles 

Post edited at 18:10
OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Doug:

Haven't got her listed. Cheers.

Six books plus a contribution to Kev Reynolds.

Post edited at 18:23
 Ian Parsons 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

A couple of jointly-authored editions from Versante Sud spring to mind; no idea whether subsequent English editions exist which Lynn may already have.

ARRAMPICARE IN SVIZZERA: Itinerari Sportivi e Moderna su Roccia; by FULVIA MANGILI and ARISTIDE QUAGLIA. This is a fairly comprehensive guide to various rockclimbing areas in Switzerland - ranging from single-pitch sport, via Wenden, Rätikon, etc, to some of the stuff on the righthand side of the Eigerwand; obviously both sport and trad/'mixed ethic'. Italian text plus topos, with German translations alongside the most important bits. Mine is the 2004 original edition; as stated - no idea what might have appeared since. No indication that I can see with regard to how the division of authorship duty worked out.

DOLOMITEN: ROUTEN UND ERLEBNISSE; by IVO RABANSER and ORIETTA BONALDO. This is a selected guide to fifty classic routes in The Dolomites. Each route has a section containing normal guidebook info including a detailed topo; this is followed by a chapter/essay written by one or other of the authors - perhaps going into more detail about the FA or the FA-ist, perhaps describing the author's own experience on the route, etc. On the front cover and title page Rabanser's name is given prominence - appearing first [ie not in alphabetical order, unlike Mangili's re the Swiss guidebook] - and in bolder print; but twenty-two out of the fifty chapters/essays are written by Bonaldo. Mine is the 2007 German edition; the original Italian one was published in 2005. Again - no idea whether an English edition ever appeared.

Re Doug's post: Hilary also translated at least two of Piola's guidebooks - 'Envers des Aiguilles' and 'The Aiguilles Rouges vol 1'.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

We had spotted those two guidebooks....will check if they have a recent translation 

The list includes female translators of male authors so thanks for the second heads up on Hillary.

Post edited at 18:48
 Lankyman 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Looking through my Irish guides I see Clare Torrans (with husband Calvin) is credited as joint editor for the 1989 Fair Head (FMCI) climbing guide.

I also see that the two Cicerone Lakeland walks guides (South, North) are credited to Aileen and Brian Evans. I think Aileen has also written a book about the Isle of Man (coast walk?) but I don't have that.

Have you got Gladys Sellers? As with the Evans's I knew Gladys from my early days in the Lancashire Caving & Climbing Club and she authored several Cicerone walking guides - I have 'The Yorkshire Dales' (1984), 'West Pennine Moors' (1979) and 'Forest of Bowland' (1994).

The operators of the Walkhighlands website (Paul & Helen Webster) also write books (Pocket Mountains) jointly - I have 'Islay, Jura & Colonsay', 'Wester Ross & Lochalsh' and 'Loch Ness'. I also have their 'Scottish Island Bagging' - credited to Helen & Paul Webster this time.

I also have a small Hallewell Pocket Walking Guide 'Walks North Perthshire (2000) by Felicity Martin.

What about the late Mary Welsh & Christine Isherwood? They had plans for 20 guides covering the whole of Scotland but I don't know if they lived to complete them all. I have a couple. Mary also contributed a lot of walks to 'Country Walking' and 'Cumbria' magazines. June Parker is another author sadly deceased who probably did more to publicise walking on Mallorca than anyone else. I remember reading her article in a climbing magazine ('Climber'?) in the nineties I think that detailed walking there. Chris Craggs did a Spanish sun rock climbing article at the same time for the same magazine.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Wow!... not on the list: Clare, Felicity, one by Aileen, all three from Gladys (we listed a 50 years in LCCC), three from Helen, Felicity, I think we own one from Mary and Christine but haven't listed any.

Lynn decided not to include magazines except better bound special editions or specific gifts as part of her various voluntary roles.

Post edited at 18:56
 Ian Parsons 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

> The list includes female translators of male authors so thanks for the second heads up on Hillary.

Just the one 'l', Steve!

In reply to Offwidth:

I thought Dorothy Pilley and I.A.Richards did an early (first?) guide to Cwm Idwal, but Googling has failed to unearth it. Perhaps it was some interim thing that appeared in e.g. the Pinnacle Club Journal??

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Doug was first

Ahgggh my eyesight?!

Post edited at 19:01
In reply to Offwidth:

Another who was very important was Nea Morin, who virtually discovered and opened up Harrison's Rocks as a climbing venue in the late 1920s/early 1930s. And wrote the first guide I think.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Gets better and better. Not even on the Alan Moss list!?

Lankyman 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Not sure if it was clear in my message but June Parker (as well as the magazine article) also wrote the first Cicerone walking guide to Mallorca (1986). I've just realised I have a Sunflower Books 'Mallorca' car tours and walks by Valerie Crespi-Green, '35 Tenerife Walks (Discovery Walking Guides) by David & Ros Brawn (2003), 'Walking in Provence' by Janette Norton (Cicerone, 2000). From the USA I have 'Backpackers' Sourcebook' by Penny Hargrove & Noelle Liebrenz (Wilderness Press, 1979).

Lhod 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Emma Alsford for Pembrokeshire, including this one and possibly more. 

https://rockrun.com/products/pembroke-volume-5-stackpole-and-lydstep

Lankyman 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Just dug another Cicerone guide out 'The Pentland Hills' (2007) by Susan Falconer. Are you listing ALL works by each author? If so, I know that Mary Welsh and Christine Isherwood also produced books outside of Scotland. There were a number of 'Walks to Waterfalls' books which included the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales and North Pennines I think.

Audrey Salkeld - she's authored and contributed to lots of books. The photographer Val Corbett has written Lake District books including one about fell runner Joss Naylor.

Post edited at 19:55
 Ian Parsons 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

> Ahgggh my eyesight?!

Hah! I'd venture to raise an eyebrow at that first 'h' in 'Ahgggh'; an 'r' might fit there - although it could start to sound like a preliminary to 'Jim, lad'.

I'm guessing you already have Joanne Urioste.

Tom Last 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Dörte Pietron who has co-written the almost unbelievably brilliant guidebooks to El Chalten and Frey alongside Rolando Garibotti. Not sure specifically how she contributed but her name is there on the covers, so hats off. 

In reply to Offwidth:

Here's the jacket of Morin's book. Lynn should really try to get hold of this because it's v important re. early history of British women rock climbers. Published Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1968. (It's got an exhaustive 21-page Appendix at the back of ALL the notable early ascents in the Alps and Himalaya by women climbers) .

Snag: there's just one for £183.33 on Amazon. But of course the Alpine Club will have it. Actually, I've just looked, there are quite a few much cheaper copies on Abebooks.

Post edited at 20:14

Lankyman 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I have a coffee table book 'Great Climbs' (1994) edited by Audrey Salkeld and it has articles contributed by Wanda Rutkiewicz, Catherine Destivelle, Kitty Calhoun Grissom and Lily Bristow (from 1893).

Mark Haward 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Ah, I misread your post. My apologies.

septic 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Susan Jensen is current series editor for the SMC climbers' guides, former editor of AC and FRCC journals.

In Guy Robertson's recent book Great Mountain Crags of Scotland there were chapters by women. Or might have been the Great Seacliffs of Scotland. Or maybe both...

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Got June's book. I only replied for the ones we don't have listed. Thanks for the others: all new.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to septic:

Cheers. Don't have those.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Have several copies of Great Climbs

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023

We have several copies of A Woman's Reach. What we don't have and have never been aware of is any guidebook by Nea. The appendix is indeed superb.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Tom Last:

Cheers... need to check if it's been translated.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

To our shame we had somehow overlooked Joanne and we have climbed more of her and her husband's routes than I can remember. We also certainly knew about it when we first climbed at Red Rocks but that was long before the list started.... not aware of any other guide of hers... she didn't do a mountain running book did she?

Was it Facebook where you could once select your language as 'pirate' ?

Post edited at 21:14
OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Lhod:

Got Emma for CC Pembroke thanks ...did she write any chapters for any other CC guides, as we don't have them all?

In reply to Offwidth:

I'm probably exaggerating about Nea Morin's 'guidebook' - it probably amounted to little more than a few sheets of notes or gestetner typed pages, which she would then have given to Bryson for the first official guidebook in 1936.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes all books by each author. Where contributions are made to book collections we always try to mention all the women's names and the name of the work if important (like, say, 'One Green Bottle' in 'One Step in the Clouds').

Cheers... we missed Susan as well.

OP Offwidth 11 Jun 2023

The first guidebook would certainly count if that is recorded elsewhere.

Cheers.

Part of the reason Lynn started this was when she realised there were over a hundred books published by or about women or had major contributions by women and this wasn't at all widely known. Now we realise it's over a thousand. She got busier and busier and I retired so I do a lot of work to help

Post edited at 21:32
In reply to Offwidth:

What an interesting project it is. Something that has clearly been neglected and urgently needed to be done. Apart from drawing up the bibliography is Lynn going to write a book about it (obviously a lot of work), or at least a major article for one of the journals?

duncan 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Re-read your question. Louise Shepherd's 1990s guide to Arapiles/Djurite.

Lankyman 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

One of my more obscure finds: 'The Ward's Stone of Bowland' by Jean Evans, a self-published booklet from 1992. Would Jessica Lofthouse be appropriate? Not specifically mountain but she did include lots of hill material and descriptions in her many books. I used to get her stuff out of the library but I only own 'Lancashire Countrygoer' (1961).

Lankyman 11 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Elaine Brook & Joanne Donnelly: 'The Windhorse'

Maria Coffey: 'Fragile Edge ', 'Where the Mountain Casts its Shadow'

Fredt 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Do you count Ken Wilson's '-- Rock' books as guides?

Don't have access to my set but I recall Barbara James contributing to Classic Rock.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Ken's 'Classics' series had several chapters written by women and we have them all except Extreme rock. Ditto for various club hardback and pamphlet publications (where  we have more gaps on the list).

The noticable huge 'hole' in the list was for proper guidebooks, hence this thread. A much smaller hole now thanks to these replies.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

It's only rare works that I suspect we have missed we have combed all the usual mountain biographical lists and appendices that focus on female publications. Jean is indeed one of those we hadn't spotted so well done. As for Jennifer, maybe a bit tenuous but we do include those from authors who have more mountain focussed books (Gwen is of course the most prolific).  Any novels where craggy coasts, hill, moorland or mountain landscape are a major feature of the work should probably be in. Jill Neate's extensive biographical lists cover such novels prior to 1986.

Post edited at 10:24
OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to duncan:

Cheers...that's another one!

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023

I'm sure she will do various things when  she gets time.

e.ms355 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Bishop Bouldering Select is by two women- Airlie Anderson and McKenzie Long. hope i've understood the brief!

https://shop.thebmc.co.uk/product/bishop-bouldering-select/

Lankyman 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

> Any novels where craggy coasts, hill, moorland or mountain landscape are a major feature of the work should probably be in. Jill Neate's extensive biographical lists cover such novels prior to 1986.

I have 'Fell Murder' by ECR Lorac (1944, actual name Edith Caroline Rivett) who was apparently a classic crime writer. It's set in the Lune Valley and the moors above including Ingleborough. Some of the place names used are fictional but it was fun to work out exactly where events are taking place.

As for factual guidebooks do you have Vivienne Crow author of five Cicerone guides?

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/authors/vivienne-crow

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to e.ms355:

Absolutely... great addition.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

You're a mine of information. Even Jill Neate missed Edith.

Also hadn't included Vivienne.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023

Been digging a bit this am.

Harrisons was indeed first explored by Nea (I'd forgotten) covered from p.31 in her book. Only one of the route names she and her friends provided survives: 'Halfpenny Corner'. She says the discovery was looked upon askance by the majority of the mountaineering establishment. Also that vibrams almost trashed the place before the BMC purchase in 1958 (Nea etc had always used gym shoes).

In Moss's opus the first Harrison's guide was a 22 page pamphlet: 1934 MO Sheffield & H Courtney Bryson. Mountaineering section of the Camping club of GB & NI. Neate had missed it!

Will Hunt 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Emma also did a Morocco guide didn't she?

For the North York Moors Nik Evans and Christine Close have contributed to guidebooks but you'd have to ask them or Ben Pearce about which bits specifically. Karin has done stuff for Northumberland guides but not sure what.

The Yorkshire grit definitives list individual chapter authors so there will be some there.

Katie Farrell for Attermire, Anna Fleming wrote Twistleton along with Ned Redmore, Anna Jacobs wrote Castlebergh with her husband Sean, all for Northern Rock.

Post edited at 12:24
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes, Bryson was the first, with 'Rock Climbing around London' I think it was called. But Nea Morin's role in the opening up of Harrisons as a climbing venue cannot be underestimated. I think I saw her once or twice in the earliest days of my climbing there. 

Post edited at 12:41
OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Will Hunt:

Cheers Will. We knew about but had forgotten to add Emma's Morocco guide. We have the more recent YMC guides on the list but not any NY moors or Northumberland ones. Next weekends is the NE festival and BMC AGM... I'll ask there.

kmsands 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Not quite sure from your post if this is relevant, but two novels by female climbers about climbing:

• One Green Bottle by Elizabeth Coxhead (1951)
  • Black Car Burning by Helen Mort (2020)
 sjminfife 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Vertical Ethiopia by Majka Burhardt

I have never read it but have been over the website and read praesee in articles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-Ethiopia-Climbing-Toward-Possibility/dp/9...

Doug 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Had a quick glance at my bookshelves & not much in English that hasn't already been mentioned other than 'Itching to Climb' by Barbara James & Nan Shepherd's 'The Living Mountain' which I suspect you have on your list anyway.

Also have some mountaineering books in French by Catherine Destivelle, Isabelle Autissier & Anne Sauvy - is your list restricted to books in English ?

65 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Doug:

Isabelle Autissier (sailor) has written a mountaineering book? Did you mean Patissier? 

Doug 12 Jun 2023
In reply to 65:

She co-wrote a book about an expedition to South Georgia although I suspect she mostly wrote the sailing part while Lionel Daudet (co-author) wrote the mountaineering sections (a while since I read it, it was published some time ago). A good read (if you can read French) & some nice photos - see https://www.babelio.com/livres/Autissier-Versant-ocean/1340246 

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Doug:

Thanks for looking. Catherine and Anne have some works translated...have all of those and the other two.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to sjminfife:

Cheers we missed that.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to kmsands:

As I said earlier, most climbing biography, autobiography, expedition reports and novels are already on the list. The exceptions maybe are less well known new foreign books or recent translations into English.

On the subject of the classic One Green Bottle, it's very expensive, so those who want to read it more cheaply should buy the excellent anthology One Step in the Clouds.

We'd both always recommend anything by Helen.

Post edited at 16:04
OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023

Rock Climbs around London was the second book with Harrisons, published in 1936.

Fraser 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

> I've been helping tidy up Lynn's bibliography of female linked climbing....

It seems like I'm expected to know this but.... who's Lynn? Lynn Hill? The whole thread is like a private club discussion in which everyone else knows who is being referred to except me. This isn't a big deal but I'm a bit curious.

Post edited at 16:13
OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Fraser:

The ex BMC President. Having wide knowledge of climbing books is an informal club in a way (why most of those replying will know) but I wasn't intending to be exclusionary.

Post edited at 16:31
 AlanLittle 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

You probably already know this but Katie Roussos is listed as co-author with Aris Theodoropoulos for the 2021 Leonidio and the new Kalymnos guides.

Do you *only* want works translated into English? Just having a snuffle through my guidebook shelf, a Chiara Benedetto is credited for the topos in Südtirol Sportklettern from Versante Süd, and Annette Köhler is co-author of Dolomiten Selection from Rother. Both in German.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Yes only works in English. We didn't have Katie on the list so thanks.

Fraser 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

> The ex BMC President.

Thanks and no worries, I knew it was a case of my ignorance.

Andy Clarke 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

This is not guidebook related but I wonder if Lynn has Hilary Clark on her list?  She was a long-time member and former Chair of my local club, Wolverhampton MC. She wrote a personal memoir, Two Boots and a Polybag, and a history of the club, Mountain Memories. The latter has been seen selling for more than Extreme Rock on Amazon!

I assume she will be including poetry and has the Helen Mort collections and the recent Sarah-Jane Dobner?

Ian Parsons 12 Jun 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

>  and Annette Köhler is co-author of Dolomiten Selection from Rother. Both in German.

Is this the Köhler/Memmel 1993 and 1998 selected guide, translated into English by Tim Carruthers and published in 1999 as 'Classic Dolomite Climbs'? I imagine there have been subsequent editions.

AlanLittle 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

I have a 2003 German edition of Köhler/Memmel. No idea about English translations, but if there is one then presumably Anette makes it onto the list (with only one N contrary to my previous spelling mistake)

Post edited at 17:23
OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Yes Hilary is on the list and Lynn has the first book. Baulked at buying the second for now.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Rang bells.....checked......Classic Dolomites Climbs and Crag Climbs in Chamonix are on our kit room euro bookshelf. This thread is really exposing my memory and indicating I need to tidy more than lists!

Ian Parsons 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

> To our shame we had somehow overlooked Joanne and we have climbed more of her and her husband's routes than I can remember. We also certainly knew about it when we first climbed at Red Rocks but that was long before the list started.... not aware of any other guide of hers... she didn't do a mountain running book did she?

> Was it Facebook where you could once select your language as 'pirate' ?

Sorry; the 1984 Red Rocks guide is the only one of which I'm aware. No idea, either, about the FB/Pirate thing - although I imagine that if you're correct the 'Klingon' option would also have been available. I'm assuming, by the way, that you aren't interested in Klingon-language guidebooks; there must be a few by now - although I'm insufficiently familiar with the Klingon world to know whether it includes the concept of 'gender'.

Another joint authorship: PYRENEES ROCK; Sportkletterführer - Rock Climbing Guide by ANDREAS & KATRIN MOTZET. German and English, 1st edition 2008. Sadernes, Montgrony, Targasonne, Sinsat, San Llorenç de Montgai, Camarasa, Santa Linya, Tartareu, Terradets, Cavallers, Superpene/Pene Haute, Alquézar, Rodellar.

johnlc 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Cherie Bremer-Camp - Living on the Edge.  Not exactly a book to read if you want a good time - it is about her attempt to ascend Kanchenjunga, alpine style, in winter, with her partner (in both senses) Chris Chandler.  Only she returns alive.

Julie Tullis - Clouds from Both SIdes - a more easy-reading book although of course it still ends in tragedy, this time for Julie, when she dies on K2.

65 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Doug:

> She co-wrote a book about an expedition to South Georgia although I suspect she mostly wrote the sailing part while Lionel Daudet (co-author) wrote the mountaineering sections (a while since I read it, it was published some time ago). A good read (if you can read French) & some nice photos - see https://www.babelio.com/livres/Autissier-Versant-ocean/1340246 

Thanks Doug! I met her at a sailing expo in La Rochelle about 25 years ago. Even before I knew who she was I knew she had to be someone, quite a presence.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Hab SoSlI' Quch .............but thank's for the final suggestion.

OP Offwidth 12 Jun 2023
In reply to johnlc:

Thanks but as I said looking for guidebooks (or anything rare).

Tom Last 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

No problem. My Frey guide is in Spanish, not sure if available in English. Chalten guide is available in both Spanish and English. I think - well, according to my Argie (Latam Spanish translator) partner - that the Chalten guide has been written twice by Rolando in each language, rather than translated, since possibly he's bilingual from a young age? Not sure of course, but the texts are quite different, moreso than they might be had one been translated into the other. Doesn't give mich of a lead on Pietron's involvement of course. Might be worth dropping Rolando a email as he seems quite a helpful sort. Best of luck with the book, sounds cool. 

Bob Aitken 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

If the list includes walking and long distance route guides, I wonder whether you've picked up Jacquetta Megarry's 'Rucksack Readers', rucsacs.com . As well as writing or co-writing over 20 guides herself, Jacquetta has a 'stable' of authors including several female contributors.

Post edited at 08:39
In reply to Offwidth:

How about Snow & Ice by Lina Arthur? It's one of very few female-authored UK guidebooks?

https://www.oxfordalpineclub.uk/snow-and-ice.php

septic 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Johanna Merz was the first AC Journal editor (1992-1998). She did the layout/production for a while either before or after that as well. Susan collated the expeditions section of the AJ for a few years before and after the editor-ing.

I don't have them with me, but check Dave MacLeod's books - I seem to recall they were all-female production teams as well, ie Claire, his mum and Susan Jensen as editor on the second one.

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Steve Broadbent:

That's a proper cherry on the top of this thread. Improving the focus on lower grades is a passion of ours, partly for inclusivity and because we think it builds a wider concensus to protect what is special about climbing in the UK. Lynn just purchased it.

http://www.alpine-club.org.uk/news/up-close-and-personal/1084-up-close-with...

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to septic:

All (post merger) Alpine Journals are on the list. We have most of these Alpine Journals including all where Joanna was involved and many of the Ladies Alpine Club before they merged.

I knew Claire was involved with Dave's books, just not how much, and we have them...  that's useful to check.

Post edited at 09:52
OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Almost certainly and we had missed them cheers.

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Karin Magog has written chapters for Northumberland Climbing and Bouldering guidebooks. Great Sea Cliffs of Scotland also No Nobler County. 

Doug 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Do you include ski touring ?

If yes, do you have 'Ski Touring in Scotland'  by Angela Oakley (early 1990s) or 'Skisters: The Story of Scottish Skiing' by Myrtle Simpson? I think the later has also published one or two books on the Arctic that might qualify

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Doug:

Ski mountaineering certainly Oakley and Simpson already on the list but we may be missing others.

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Very helpful... cheers Steve.

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Damo:

Missing Frith... cheers.

Doug 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

'Little Walk on Skis' by Beryl  (& Peter) Wilberforce Smith ?

In reply to Offwidth:

I’m not sure if translators are included but The Science of Climbing Training was written in Spanish by Sergio Consuegra then later translated into English by Rosie Stainthorpe

Greenbanks 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I've only skimmed the thread, so these may be duplicated (no guides though...) and probably most you have already on your list:

• Cathy O'Dowd (Just for the Love of It)
  • Alison Fell (Mer de Glace)
  • Lene Gammelgaard (Climbing High)
  • Jennifer Jordan (Savage Summit)
  • Elisabeth Revol (To Live)
  • Catharine Destiville (Rock Queen)
  • Arlene Blum (Annapurna: A Woman's Place)
  • Bernadette McDonald (Art of Freedom)
  • Alison Hargreaves (Hard Day's Summer)
  • Rebecca Stephens (On Top of the World)
  • Leni Gillman - with Peter (Extreme Eiger)
  • Barbara James (Itching to Climb)

Cheers

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to UKC:

Thanks everyone again and especially now to the site guidebook lists... picking up quite a few from just clicking through lists for English speaking countries.

RobAJones 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

If you're including walking guides Ronnie Catling isn't an obviously female name for Glyndwr's Way

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Thanks but we have copies of all those (mostly multiple)... only rarer examples of similar works won't be on the much longer list (which will probably get closer to a thousand with this thread's additions).

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

Cheers. Also missing.

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Absolutely... many important works were translated into english by women. The list is really about highlighting the huge female contribution to 'mountain' writing.

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Doug:

Cheers... that's another one to add.

Greenbanks 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Okay - will keep a look out...

In reply to Offwidth:

What about the contribution by Eva López to training for climbing. Her work is a huge influence on the subject. 

http://en-eva-lopez.blogspot.com/

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Cheers... thats more of an ebook than a blog.... should go on the list.

Damo 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I assume you have the recent book by Katie Ives, ex-Editor of Alpinist:

https://www.mountaineers.org/books/books/imaginary-peaks-the-riesenstein-ho...

Alpinist itself, particularly under Katie, has many articles by women. I have the full set if you need something particular looked up. http://www.alpinist.com/p/issue-archive

Margo was one of the world's best women ice climbers and wrote a very interesting personal biography some years ago: https://www.amazon.com/All-That-Glitters-Addiction-Depression/dp/1771604336 

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Damo:

Lynn has Margot's book. Katie's is just on the list for now (likely she will get a copy soonish)

Dealing with magazine articles is a massive and tricky job so unless published elsewhere in book form  Lynn hasn't generally included them on the list.... the main exceptions would be full womens' editions or some personal link to her.

Thanks for your kind offer... it's useful to know.

Lankyman 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Just come across a glossy booklet 'Walks around Ingleton', undated but published by Ingleton & District Tradespeople's Association no less. Walks include the Waterfalls and Ingleborough/Whernside. Authored by Paul Denbigh, maps drawn by Sheila Howson.

OP Offwidth 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Tricky one that. Could be if the book is very map focussed. Again it's more about practicality on major contributions... the task could become huge if every woman acknowledged in every mountain book was included.

It made me think though: we'd certainly love to see a few more books from book illustrators collecting various works from many books with some text on what they do and how and why, with good stories etc. Personally maybe Malc Baxter would be top of my list.

spenser 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Lhod:

Also Morocco Rock, likewise I think Katja Broadbent contributed to the OAC guides along with her husband Steve.

In reply to spenser:

Katja certainly helped with climbing and research in Morocco, but if you're being pedantic she didn't actually write any material for it. Though this reminds me... she did co-author Ibiza Sport Climbs and wrote lots of the text for that...

https://www.climb-ibiza.com/guidebook.php#!/~/

Greenbanks 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I presume you've listed Monica Fitzpatrick (Mountaineering: Height Isn't Important, Height Isn't Important). There’s also a book called ‘Mountaineering Women’ by David Mazel (1994) which may give some leads - again, you might have seen this.

Duncan Bourne 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

"The Alternative guide to British Rock Climbing" by Gill Fawcett (Aka GIll Kent) is one of my favs.

OP Offwidth 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

We had not spotted Monica's book yet, being newish... cheers.

David's book has one of the key bibliographies for the list.

OP Offwidth 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Seems to be a favourite of many folk. I've not read it yet maybe I should soon.

OP Offwidth 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Steve Broadbent:

Cheers again Steve. 

OP Offwidth 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Lynn told me to add Shelia's maps. I wasn't thinking: a 'no brainer' being Yorkshire! Cheers.

OP Offwidth 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Monica's book purchased, thanks again.

BelleVedere 14 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

> On the subject of the classic One Green Bottle, it's very expensive, so those who want to read it more cheaply should buy the excellent anthology One Step in the Clouds.

should probably get my copy back from the friend i lent it to then.... 

Duncan Bourne 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

"If, as you fly through the air, you wonder why you haven't hit the deck after 3 seconds then you must be climbing on limestone"

A grand humorous little book that deals with all the pubs and cafes you might visit from a climbers point of view. Now more a historical document in the same vein of Haskett Smith's "Climbing in the British Isles"

In addition Tami Knight would probably beat me to death with a size 10 cam if i didn't mention her. "Climbing tales of Terror" including Roger's (disposable) avalanche poodle

OP Offwidth 15 Jun 2023

We've somehow never come across Tami's book, looks brilliant. Cheers.

Seems she has produced or illustrated others:

Everest: the Ultimate Hump

Federation of Mountain Clubs of British Columbia Training Manual IV - Basic Rock Climbing

Whistler and Region Outdoors

Post edited at 10:19
 Greenbanks 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Without seeing the comprehensive list you have (commendably) been assembling it is a bit difficult to make suggestions

Have you got Rachel Hewitt's In Her Nature, for instance? Or Wendy Bruere's 'More than it Hurts'? Both from Australia....

Cheers (great effort btw)

OP Offwidth 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Well you must have X-ray eyes then: neither on the list! Cheers. Any comments on their quality?

It will take a while before Lynn publishes anything, as we are pretty 'jammed up' for the next few months and it will need content editing and thoughts on format. We were going to put a list of female guidebook authors and major contributors list on this thread (or a new one if it locks too soon) as a thank you, a resource to inspire others and to inform collectors.

Post edited at 13:29
OP Offwidth 15 Jun 2023

Cheers Duncan... purchased CTot and her Everest book.

A big up for illustrators!

Post edited at 13:32
OP Offwidth 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Thanks again, both look importantfrom reviews. Purchased Wendy's... Rachel's may be more complicated as we can only find southern hemisphere stockists unless you know where it might be available in the UK or EU.

Lankyman 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Have you got Krysia Brodie. She's co-authored (with husband Ian) a local walking guide https://www.carnegiepublishing.co.uk/product/walking-from-garstang-and-in-w... This includes the upper reaches of Wyresdale in Bowland so does have some upland content

They've also produced a Cicerone guide which seems to be defunct now

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-cumbria-coastal-way/ian-brodie/krysia-...

Another married team on Cicerone's roster includes Jan Kelsall https://www.cicerone.co.uk/authors/jan-kelsall  Definitely hill oriented.

Have you looked through their authors?

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/authors

Bob Aitken 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Perhaps another slightly tenuous suggestion, but the Banff-award-winning guidebook tome 'Irish Peaks' published by Mountaineering Ireland (2020, 2022) was produced by a 'project team' led by Alan and Margaret Tees.  Helen Lawless, MI's Access & Conservation officer, is credited as a major contributor to the project and the text. 

65 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Might have already been mentioned but The Story of Scottish Skiing by Myrtle Simpson may interest you.

Also, not yet published mainly due to the worsened political situation but Shirin Shabestari (who has contributed a couple of excellent articles on here) is working on a trekking guide to Iran's mountains.

Edit: Myrtle Simpson also wrote "Home is a tent."

Edit # 2: Doug already mentioned the first one. 

Post edited at 14:57
OP Offwidth 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Cheers... several more missing....as for Cicerone was going to do just that (still currently working my way though UKC guidebook lists and a private published list I found this am chasing something else (in an Alpine Journal).

OP Offwidth 15 Jun 2023
In reply to 65:

Don't have 'Home is a Tent' which is odd as we check other published books by the same author. So thanks very much for that.

If you know Shirin tell her to contact Lynn (through me or the BMC).

OP Offwidth 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Bob Aitken:

As I said have overlooked quite a few recent books including that, cheers.

65 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I've pinged her a message.

Post edited at 16:32
 Greenbanks 15 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

A few more which may/may not be on your list or mentioned already in this thread:

Bonita Norris (The Girl who Climbed Everest)

Katie Brown (Girl on the Rocks)

Steph Davis (High Infatuation / Learning to Fly)

Stacy Allison (with Peter Carlin) (Beyond the Limits: A Woman’s Triumph on Everest)

Deidre Wolownick  (The Sharp End of Life)

Ruth Mendenhall (Woman on the Rocks)

Janet Robertson/Arlene Blum (The Magnificent Mountain Women)

Cheers

OP Offwidth 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Losing the magic but thanks...Lynn has signed copies with messages for most of those but one is only on the list (Ruth... and I think you mean Valerie's book about Ruth's letters)

Greenbanks 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes - my error 

Greenbanks 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Emily Woodhouse (All the Tors)?

OP Offwidth 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

A new day after a good rest.... this is getting spooky! Cheers!!

barbeg 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Dare to Dream by Susan Harper

Barbeg

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 17 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I assume that you’ve probably already got Mountain Holidays by Janet Adam Smith

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/first-edition/Mountain-holidays-Janet-Adam-Smith...

OP Offwidth 18 Jun 2023
In reply to barbeg:

On the list cheers.

OP Offwidth 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Steve Crowe:

A couple of copies

Greenbanks 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

A few more...

Mountains in My Heart: A Passion for Climbing (Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner)

Pickets and Dead Men: Seasons on Rainier (Bree Loewen)

Unraveled: A Climber's Journey through Darkness and Back (Katie Brown)

Higher Love: Climbing and Skiing the Seven Summits (Kit Deslauriers)

Found: A Life in Mountain Rescue (Bree Loewen)

Edge of the Map: The Mountain Life of Christine Boskoff (Johanna Garton)

Honouring High Places: the mountain life of Junko Tabei (Junko Tabei and Helen Rolfe)

If I Live Until Morning (Jean Muenchrath)

Summit (Karen Rispin(

The Sky’s the Limit. (Anna Magnusson)

Climb Against the Odds. (Mary Papenfuss)

Lured by Mountains (M.A. Harper)

Above the Horizon. (Rosemary Cohen)

When Nights Were Cold (Susanna Jones)

Cheers

OP Offwidth 19 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Cheers again. Missed Kit, Karen, Mary, M.A. and Susanna. A scarily high hit rate!! 

Tricky Dicky 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Climbing Blind by Colette Richard is an inspirational read about the climbing and caving adventures of a young French girl, who was blind from the age of two. 1966 so a bit dated maybe...

https://biblio.co.uk/book/climbing-blind-richard-colette/d/1028853442

OP Offwidth 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

Cheers but we have that book.

S11 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Do you have Gill Round on the list, she wrote a walking guidebook to Costa Blanca for the German publisher Rother of Munich (pub 2007), she also translated a number of others (not sure how many but quite a few) but definitely translated guidebooks to Tenerife and Madeira? Also, Vivienne Smith who wrote the History sections for the Staffordshire Gritstone guidebook of 1989, the Stanage guidebook of 2002 and jointly wrote the History for the Tremadog guide of 2000.

Greenbanks 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

A few more, on the off-chance...

Racing Nellie Bly
Victorian Secrets From Footnotes In History

https://racingnelliebly.com/fashion-forward/female-mountaineers-wore-pettic...

National Library of Scotland ‘Petticoats and Pinnacles’ (Exhibition catalogue)

https://www.nls.uk/exhibitions/petticoats-and-pinnacles/

Jack Ryan Hewitt & Nollaig McEvilly (2022) ‘I didn’t realise the variety of people that are climbers’: a sociological exploration of young women’s propensities to engage in indoor rock climbing, Leisure Studies, 41:4, 559-572, DOI: 10.1080/02614367.2021.2006280

Zalika Rizmal (2022) How Julie and her teammates are climbing above the world's expectations. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-15/rock-paraclimbing-disability-adaptiv...

Monique Forestier (2013) Monique Forestier in Kalbarri – article in western Climber, No. 14 (link: https://www.climberswa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Western-Climber-No...)

Some of these raise queries as to how extensive the end-product is envisaged to be. For example, are digital-only resources included, or do they need to be hard-copy versions too? Also, the ephemeral ‘grey literature’ -however it is defined…

Questions, questions!

65 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

This one: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/apr/20/in-her-nature-by-rachel-hewit...

also, 

Climbing Fit was co-authored by Pat Ingle. It must have been one of the first books on training for climbers.

OP Offwidth 21 Jun 2023
In reply to S11:

Superb stuff. Nothing from Jill. Only remembered Vivienne after this thread started.

OP Offwidth 21 Jun 2023
In reply to 65:

Two out of two. We have other stuff by Rachel but not that.

OP Offwidth 21 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Nellie Bly is not on the list. The exhibition catalogue might also make it.

Lynn only includes books and pamphlets for the list, not papers, news, articles blogs or magazines (except special editions focusing on women). Articles also published in a book would be OK. E- books are also in.

Greenbanks 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Has a full analysis done of major climbing club journals though? Some of these come in hard-bound volumes (with ISBN) and thus could be considered as 'books'.

FRCC (2006), is a case in point. It contains a lovely piece by Hilary Moffat, on the challenges she faced over 50 years ago in joining the Club. I'm sure there are many other pieces littered across similar hardback compilations - I've not had a good look.

OP Offwidth 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

No we have big gaps there. I think we have all Alpine Club, Ladies Alpine Club and Scottish Ladies Alpine Club (sp?) volumes on the list and a handful of FRCC and CC but we will be missing many others with significant female contributions or significant contributions about women.

Greenbanks 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I'll keep a look out. I guess it depends quite how deep you want to go, and ultimately 'what counts'. as another example, Bull's "Black Cuillin Ridge Scrambler's Guide" (1980) contains major inputs from Heather Monie, who contributed all the crag diagrams as well as the section on Mountain Flora...

Post edited at 20:50
 Fredt 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Not sure if it fits your criteria, but have you looked at Mirella Tenderini? 

rogerwebb 22 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

If you can find an English translation of Pellegrina delle Alpi by Nini Pietrasanta it would be well worth it.

OP Offwidth 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

We have Shirley Bull's  book. 

I forgot to mention that we obviously have the Pinnacle Club journals listed.

OP Offwidth 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Mirella's book is on the list.

OP Offwidth 23 Jun 2023
In reply to rogerwebb:

Do you mean it was translated but is very rare? The list includes many very rare books.

Greenbanks 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

You probably have Gillian Price's 'Walking in Sicily' ? (I'm off there shortly, so will cease bothering you...)

Doug 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Your mention of Mirella Tenderini (is her biography of Gary Hemming published in English ?) reminded me of 'Sulla traccia di Nives' by Erri de Lucca (based on the life of Italian alpiniste Nives Meroi) - there's a French translation ('Sur la trace de Nives') but has anyone published an English edition ?

Sure its already on your list but just in case its not, Claire-Éliane Engel's 'History of Mountaineering' (to some extent a reworking & updating of her PhD thesis 'La littérature alpestre en France et en Angleterre au XVIIIe et au XIXe siècle')

Post edited at 07:35
 Ian Parsons 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I don't think there's been any mention here of Libby Houston; you may well be aware of her Natural History sections in the 2004/2017 Avon guides and in the 2007 Lower Wye Valley edition. And possibly elsewhere.

OP Offwidth 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Doug:

Cheers Doug I'll check for a translation.  I'm pretty sure we have all Claire's books in English on the list and we own most as well.  Mirella's book is translated in English: as I said on the list.

Post edited at 09:42
OP Offwidth 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Cheers, missed those by Libby.

OP Offwidth 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Nope....thanks again. You can bother us anytime with such superb help.

rogerwebb 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I have a memory of reading it, or possibly a summary or article on it, in the 70s, but when I looked recently I couldn't find one and had to go with Italian. If there isn't a translation there ought to be.

OP Offwidth 23 Jun 2023
In reply to rogerwebb:

Cheers Roger. I'll stick a query note in just in case.

Greenbanks 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

These may be rather too obvious...

Rebecca Solnit – Wanderlust. A History of walking

Anita Sethi – I Belong Here

Christiane Ritter – A Woman in the Polar Night

Cheers

OP Offwidth 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Missing Rebecca's if it's (presumably) covering hill/mountain walking.  I presumed Christiane's is on north polar ice... if so not currently in spec.

Post edited at 17:48
 Greenbanks 23 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Just before I clear off, a final check raises these - pretty sure you'll have them all spotted, but worth a check. Lots of hiking books by women - good ones too...

Cheryl Strayed – Wild

Karri Andrews – Wanderers: A History of Women Walking

Annabel Abbs – Windswept. Walking the Paths of Trailblazing Women

Jamaica Kincaid: Among the Flowers: A Walk in the Himalaya

Jane Robinson - Wayward Women: A Guide to Women Travellers,

Isabella Bird – Among the Tibetans

Sharon Wood – Rising

Margot Talbot – All that Glitters

Kara Richardson-Whitely – Gorge: My Journey up Kilimanjaro at 300 Pounds

Heather Anderson – Thirst

Susan Purvis – Go Find

Aspen Matis – Girl in the Woods

Barbara Swindin – All But One

Shiraishi, Ashima - How to Solve a Problem: The Rise (and Falls) of a Rock-Climbing Champion

Caroline Ciavaldini  - Climbing Beyond (with James Pearson, of course)

OP Offwidth 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Another spookily good hit rate.

Cheryl (Lynn has this book somewhere but it predates the mountain walking inclusion in her collection, and we both subsequently forgot), Karri, Annabel, Jamaica, Heather, Susan, Aspen and Ashima (another doh!)

Jane (especially) and Isabella would have been embarrassing

OP Offwidth 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks, Ian Parsons, Lankyman, 65 etc:

Have added a miscellany list below the main list so I don't need to search for the magazine articles and foreign language guidebooks again. 

Other foreign language guidebooks involving female authors or substantial contributions from women are welcome. As for magazine articles, maybe only seminal ones for now as there are hundreds on the bibliographies we have.

On the subject of magazine articles, Rachel Hewitt's "In Her Nature" arrived, with another huge bibliography covering feminist issues in sport to female achievement in the mountains. Karen Stockham's 2012 Exeter Uni PhD thesis is a similar amazing resource (for those interested in the subject area)

https://ore.exeter.ac.uk/repository/handle/10871/8004

Post edited at 15:47
 Greenbanks 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks for the link....

Best not disappear down that particular rabbit-hole - it's a big one. For instance:

https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/bitstream/handle/1974/29452/Wigglesworth_...

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/553661778.pdf

Also, returning to the OP. Not sure if you have seen these:

Jenny Hall and Adele Doran – Women in Mountaineering, United Kingdom

https://shura.shu.ac.uk/26561/1/Researching%20Women%20in%20Mountaineering%2...

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/thesiss_that_people_have_writte...

OP Offwidth 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Although I agree, high quality PhDs in particular will be referenced again and again and are useful additions, and unlike many academic papers often exist in accessible ebook form.

OP Offwidth 26 Jun 2023

>I thought Dorothy Pilley and I.A.Richards did an early (first?) guide to Cwm Idwal, but Googling has failed to unearth it. Perhaps it was some interim thing that appeared in e.g. the Pinnacle Club Journal??

Sorry Gordon, I'd somehow overlooked this.

I'm still working through the processing of additions from this thread (and other areas it reminded us of).  I can't find this guide in Moss but will make a note in the list and will check PCJs later (all online now)

https://pinnacleclub.co.uk/journals/

OP Offwidth 28 Jun 2023

>>In addition Tami Knight would probably beat me to death with a size 10 cam if i didn't mention her. "Climbing tales of Terror" including Roger's (disposable) avalanche poodle.

>Seems she has produced or illustrated others:

>Everest: the Ultimate Hump

Both have arrived in the post.... brilliant cartoon humour books. It turns out there are two earlier collections somewhere as well: very rare though. You really should get The Ultimate Hump.

Greenbanks 04 Jul 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

A further query...(again, these might have been mentioned deep in the thread):

I came across Dorothee Sänger's jointly authored guide to walks/hikes in Sicily - in French, but easily followed as it is full of decent diagrams/maps. They may be available in English.

Also produced by Rother's Guide de randonées are Petra Zink's Yoga for Climbers and Mountaineers and Iris Kürschner's Dauphineé Ouest guide. There seem to be loads of others too.

Cheers

OP Offwidth 04 Jul 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

I'd just finished (at last) adding all the recommendations and current Cicerone authors. Over 1200 titles on the list now. A bit more to do now!

Bob Aitken 04 Jul 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Forgive me if I've missed a mention of it in this ever-extending thread:
'Grande Traverse and the Mont Blanc Tour: a guide to classic skiing and walking routes through the French Alps', by Malcolm and Nicole Parker, Diadem 1986.

OP Offwidth 04 Jul 2023
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Cheers, that's another one!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...