thesis’s that people have written on climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
douglas macpherson 05 Nov 2004
Just wondering if anyone knows of any thesis’s that people have written on climbing and mountaineering at a masters or above level. This should be mainly aimed at the science of the sport. As I have to start thinking about what I am going to write for my own.
Thanx Doug
 Doug 05 Nov 2004
In reply to douglas macpherson:
know of some on environmental aspects (impact of climbing on the environment, etc) and I think 'Les alpinistes en France 1870-1950. une histoire culturelle' by Olivier Hoibian (2001 ?) is based on a PhD thesis but looks at the sociology of french climbers rather than 'sports science'

Hasn't Dave McLeod done an MSc on climbing injuries ? probably at Glasgow university - I think there's a piece by him on www.scottishclimbs.com
 chris_s 05 Nov 2004

I did one on alpinism and nationalism, but that was for a BA.
 Greenbanks 05 Nov 2004

try a British Libraries search or ERIC...could give you some leads. Alternatively try one one of the Sports Science depts in a uni - Loughborough might be a good place to start
Anita 05 Nov 2004
In reply to douglas macpherson: just did a search on web of knowledge for rock climbing - loads of papers, try there for ideas if you have access to it. Mainly psychological ones on risk taking or physio / clinical ones on common injuries!
 Richard 05 Nov 2004

There're quite a few papers on http://www.trainingforclimbing.com/html2/resources.shtml
Stefan Lloyd 05 Nov 2004
In reply to douglas macpherson: I am slightly bemused you are asking that question here. Assuming you are a student, I'd be surprised if you didn't have access to various online libraries of academic journals, which allow this kind of search to be done very easily.
researcher 05 Nov 2004
Just look on your university's various databases, probably sports discus will be best. There's absolutely loads of climbing reasearch. Far better than asking the muppets on here.
 Dave Stelmach 05 Nov 2004
In reply to douglas macpherson: I did an MA thesis entitled 'climbing towards effectiveness' at Leeds, 1992. It compared the benefits of outdoor development to the transition skills for cultural change. Available from the Nuffield Institute at Leeds.
andynonymous 05 Nov 2004

theses

Schmiken 05 Nov 2004

One of my friends wrote a sport science thesis on whether leading was actually physically harder than top roping. That the kind of thing you're after?
 Bob 05 Nov 2004
In reply to andynonymous:

B*gger! Beet mi two hit!

Bob
 Michael Ryan 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Bob:

Liz Scully, Boulder, Colorado wrote one on Women and climbing.

Mick
Hazel 05 Nov 2004
In reply to douglas macpherson: I believe Dave Binney was working on a PhD about some aspect of climbing (either training or injuries) at the institute of sports medicine in Sheffield, he may be able to help you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...