Topos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Crest Jewel 28 Jul 2023

Why aren't topos used in British climbing guides?

deacondeacon 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

Are you only using guidebooks from the '50's?

ebdon 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

Nit quite sure what you mean by this, I am struggling to think of a guidebook published in the last 20 years that didn't contain quality photo topos.

edit: deacondeacon beat me to it

Post edited at 13:37
 Mike-W-99 28 Jul 2023
In reply to deacondeacon:

I just flicked through the ops logbook and they all have topos in my guidebooks.

OP Crest Jewel 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

I was referring to North American style Topos using symbols to illustrate rock features.

OP Crest Jewel 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

'Symbols ' not of the Rockfax repertoire. E.g. a pictorial diagram outlining rock architecture for the entirety of the route; an example would be Eric Sloans Yosemite guide books.

peppermill 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

> I was referring to North American style Topos using symbols to illustrate rock features.

Our crags tend to be a wee bit smaller than those in the States, e.g. Yosemite (I'm assuming this is what you're thinking of going by your username...) so it's possible to use photographs, though it doesn't always work too well on our bigger mountain crags. 

Using photographs for some of the routes in the Valley would be a bit tricky.

Besides, we like surprises on mountain trad routes in the UK! ;p

peppermill 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

> 'Symbols ' not of the Rockfax repertoire. E.g. a pictorial diagram outlining rock architecture for the entirety of the route; an example would be Eric Sloans Yosemite guide books.

It's just the way climbing guides have developed in the UK with our geology, ethics culture etc etc. Same as not using Yosemite grades, Alpine grades or sport grades on trad routes etc etc etc.

If we all did things the same it would be horribly generic and dull as dishwater.

Post edited at 14:32
 C Witter 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

Because, for shorter crags, photo topos are generally much clearer? Even on bigger routes (e.g. 200 to 400m), I think I would prefer a photo topo (cf. Morocco guidebooks).

duncan 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Crest Jewel:

> 'Symbols ' not of the Rockfax repertoire. E.g. a pictorial diagram outlining rock architecture for the entirety of the route; 

They used to have those in the days before cameras were portable and printing pictures was affordable. You're the first to ask for them back.

Post edited at 18:10
 Andy Moles 30 Jul 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Photo topos are obviously the business for short crags (nearly everything in the UK), but for certain types of route a pictorial diagram is better.

I've found the Rockfax topos for longer (400m+) rock climbs in Chamonix a bit poor. You just can't see enough detail in the features (especially if the photo was taken in sub-optimal light), or the line is so fat relative to the features that it obscures them. If it's a case of following bolts then it doesn't matter, but for traddier routes a simple well-drawn topo with the main features and junctions would be more useful.

Likewise perhaps crags that are obscured by trees, or ones where for whatever reason it isn't possible to get the panoptical viewpoint that the photo shows.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...