The future of guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mutt 03 Oct 2016
https://sketchfab.com/models/a9270346175f4a349da6988a17eb0f3f

now we're talking - Rockfax are now old hat.
 Otis 03 Oct 2016
In reply to mutt:

Thats very impressive and rather cool!

Good to see a genuinely innovative use of some tech to create somethingrather jazzy. Who knows whether it'll catch on in the climbing world, but well done to that person for pulling it together.

It'll be interesting to see what the 'I hate drones and everything about them' brigade make of this one - it turns out they actually have a use....... well, another one apart from allowing people to enjoy themselves :-p
 Juan S 03 Oct 2016
In reply to mutt:

That looks great. Are you the developer? If so, I'd suggest the thickness of the climb lines needs to vary as you zoom in (constant thickness = line takes up far too much screen when you zoom in more).
 d_b 03 Oct 2016
In reply to mutt:

Cool.

I have been working on something similar, but this looks a bit better.
 duchessofmalfi 03 Oct 2016

All I see is a dark blob, I can move it around but it is still a dark blob!
 springfall2008 03 Oct 2016
In reply to mutt:

Very nice, would be great for a full crag.

Can't you zoom in?
In reply to mutt:

This has huge potential. Fantastically useful, particularly for seeing how the topography of the top of the crag relates to the routes below, finding descent routes etc.
 andrew.tyrrell 03 Oct 2016
In reply to mutt:

Hi mutt, thanks for posting this. I'm the bloke behind it. I bought a drone about a month ago just for laughs, and wondered what I could do with it. I had a play around with creating 3D models from imagery (similar to what I do for a living) and then thought about editing routes onto them. This is still very much a work in progress and purely experimental, but the vast majority of feedback so far has been positive. Feel free to leave any comments about the concept. I'm looking to develop it into something more useful soon. I haven't yet spoken to Rockfax, Climbers Club, BMC etc, but it's on my rapidly growing to do list!
 spenser 03 Oct 2016
In reply to andrew.tyrrell:

Wow! Pretty cool!

There are a few crags which could do with drone photography for topos, Coe Crag is one of them, the new Wired guide for Northern England is being worked on at the moment.
 tjekel 03 Oct 2016
In reply to mutt:

like the idea ... as an old guidebook fan. looking forward to further development especially for big alpine walls. on the other hand, getting from a 2D guidebook to 3D reality has been fun.
 Lemony 03 Oct 2016
In reply to spenser:

Coe Crag in a selected guide to the North of England? That's pretty niche.
 d_b 03 Oct 2016

Which software are you using for the photogrammetry, and how many images do you use for that one?

I found myself using bucketloads of memory reconstructing the meshes for the sea walls, and am wondering if there is anything out there less hungry than photoscan.
 olddirtydoggy 03 Oct 2016

Where do I pay? This is a wonderful thing and I hope it helps you retire so you can live a wonderful life having fun.
Removed User 03 Oct 2016
Looks great. The main challenge will be chasing the punters off Stanage Popular so you can get a clean shot when you get round to modernising the Rockfax cash cow. Maybe a low flying run on the first pass...
Post edited at 22:17
 jsmcfarland 03 Oct 2016
In reply to mutt:

That is awesome!
 spenser 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Lemony:

Raven Buttress and Honeycomb Wall are two of the best routes I've climbed in terms of general fun. Rough Castle's crack is also excellent.
Admittedly maybe not selected guide material but people are missing out if they don't go up there.
 veteye 03 Oct 2016

I think that your work is brilliant, and great that you came upon the project without planned intent.The one thing that comes to mind is at what point do you decide not to put the information in the public sphere because by leaving information out you leave chance for wondering and thoughts of what the routes will be like.
Or do you leave that to the individual to decide about, by not looking in their 3D representation?
 Jon Stewart 04 Oct 2016
In reply to mutt:

Nice! Really impressed with that, I genuinely think it does represent the future of topos. Would obviously be massive cheating if you could zoom in and inspect all the holds, but with drone footage I think that could be where we'll end up...?
 planetmarshall 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Would obviously be massive cheating if you could zoom in and inspect all the holds, but with drone footage I think that could be where we'll end up...?

Possibly in the not too distant future, but realistically the kind of detail you're talking about would require enormous amounts of data. It's very pretty, but I don't see much more than a gimmick here - it's far too coarse to be of practical value, and the storage requirements would increase geometrically with the level of detail.

Happy to be proved wrong, though.
OP mutt 04 Oct 2016

I'm very impressed with what you have done here. AFAIKS the natural home for this would be google earth or suchlike, as its more akin to the virtual walks and tours that they host. Its great to have a detailed model to browse from work or home but I don't think this is going to be of much use when at the crag. Totally amazing anyway.

I'm not about to do it myself,but best plan I can come up with is to start a wicked company that collects data and works it up into geolocated 3d models such as this and then get bought out by google for about £1bn.

Well done.
 galpinos 04 Oct 2016

Good effort.

P.S. I agree with the poster who mentioned changing the thickness of the line as you zoom in, if that's possible.
In reply to mutt:

Nice, that's way better than my attempt, although it was 2 years ago. The main problem I had was the GoPro is pretty crap at taking photos at 30m distance. It's says 12MP images but the resolution is barely 1!

https://sketchfab.com/models/5ab1c6f95c724ac7b705fb6b41d4c560
 GrahamD 04 Oct 2016
In reply to mutt:

This is a great looking idea - not necessarily at the crag but certainly for inspiration before hand. Like the way you can see underneath the crag

Hi Andrew, what software did you use for the stitch? I used Agisoft Photoscan but my last effort was 2 years ago.

I just had a look around and seen there's Reality Capture. That looks pretty good too.
 d_b 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:
It's nicer than the avon gorge models I did a few months back too.

http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/test/nq/

I came to the conclusion that long term the hard bit is going to be doing markup and managing the route data. Building geometry in blender or whatever doesn't scale.

I have been working on some tools to try and make life easier but they aren't finished yet.
Post edited at 09:53
In reply to davidbeynon:

The resolution on yours looks great! I had a look around for something to display the model on the web before I found SketchFab. https://threejs.org/ looks good, nice one!
 d_b 04 Oct 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

I used Photoscan for that btw. I also have a nice model of the sea walls, but I have been waiting on the markup tools that I'm being crap at finishing before uploading anything.

My aim is to have something that lets virtually anyone mark up the model. The problem I keep running into is that I do 3D visualisation software for a living and by the time I get home I can't even look at a matrix!
 DerwentDiluted 04 Oct 2016

Would you ever have a drone on grit?

Just seen this one for The Old Man of Hoy: https://skfb.ly/ODvP Pretty awesome!
Post edited at 15:47
 Carless 04 Oct 2016

That's excellent

Did my first climbing there, but that's the first time I've seen it from round the back
 stp 08 Oct 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Would obviously be massive cheating if you could zoom in and inspect all the holds

Yeah I don't think one could claim an onsight. But people do use binoculars to glean as much info as they can before leaving the ground on hard onsights.

But if you really want the beta you can find it in video form for an increasing number of routes, and lots of boulder problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...