Sport Climbing Trip In June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iamgregp 08 Feb 2024

Right then...

A friend of mine is visiting from New Zealand in June and we're looking to get a short sport climbing trip in whilst he's here, but I'm a bit stuck on where we go?

Portland would be brilliant, but it'll be predetermined dates, so I think we might look to go somewhere where the weather is almost guaranteed to be dry (also he doesn't rate Portland, but that's his problem!). 

A lot of the classic, close destinations - Costa Blanca, Mallorca, Sardinia will be too hot (he doesn't so well in the heat) and so I'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe somewhere in France or can you think of anywhere else?

We're Sport only and he gets a bit spooked when bolts are spaced and we'll likely be taking kids so probably not Verdon!  Any other suggestions? 

Grades wise plenty of 6s to early 7s would be good.  Maybe if there's some easier stuff that would be good too, his other half is coming back to climbing after being unwell so she's not quite match fit yet.

joeramsay 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

what about briancon area? fessourier, grand bois, tournoux etc are good, shady, nicely bolted, about the right grade range. i don't really know about spud-friendliness but i met families at all 3 this summer

Lankyman 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

Get up to the Dales. Loads of sport of all shapes and sizes and lots of other things to do (sploshing in caves and becks, walking etc) plus decent beer. Weather is better than the Lakes and easy to get to.

JLS 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

Tricky.  The stuff down south (of France) will be very warm by June and a retreat to the mountains wouldn't come with the weather guaranteed you are after. For ease of logistics, I'd just go to Font.

seankenny 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

Ceuse is the obvious choice but the walk in isn’t particularly child friendly. I once went to Buis and surrounding areas in the first week of September and it was almost unclimbable.

I would second Font!

Post edited at 14:43
 spidermonkey09 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

Briancon area. I went around that time of year. Its hot but manageable if you seek shade/get up early. Good for kids too. Rue de masques the main big shady crag. 

McHeath 08 Feb 2024
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Frankenjura could work

I´d second that; beautiful area, 15000 routes, very family friendly, and loads in the shade if it gets too hot.

kevin stephens 08 Feb 2024
In reply to McHeath:

High quality cake and beer too

OP Iamgregp 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

Thanks for these suggestions all!

Briancon I hadn't considered at all, and looks lovely so that's definitely worth consideration. 

Frankenjura I had on the long list, my friend has been before and is a bit "meh" about it, but he may be persuadable.  The beer alone is a big draw for me.

Font is a interesting one - I'm not really in to bouldering, don't even own a mat, but maybe it's time to broaden my horizons as I've heard a bouldering trip with kids is a heck of a lot easier than a sport climbing one.

Keep them coming!

ebdon 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

Font is awsome, and will convert even the most jaded to bouldering, but in June it will be hot (for climbing), you will need to get up early, however, if your not fussed about climbing hard and just want to have a chilled time then it's a good option.

OP Iamgregp 08 Feb 2024
In reply to ebdon:

It does look good I must say!

Getting up early is easy enough, getting out early with two young kids in tow less so! 

Dunno where time goes but getting the oldest one up, dressed fed and to nursery seems to take an hour and a half on a good day!

seankenny 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

The climbing at Font is superlative, just short. But superlative! Nice environment and lots of non-climbing stuff to do. Will be warm in June but you can just go to shady areas. 

I went to Finale in September and it was hot (unseasonably so) but still good. Lots of crags facing all directions. Grades are nails, but it’s Italy so you can drown your sorrows in gelato. It’s on the coast, there might be beaches but we didn’t visit them. 

Asturias in Spain is lovely, high green and cool, excellent limestone. Short drive from Oveido airport. Since you’re in London I would happily lend you my guidebook. 

Not been but have heard good things about Berdorf (Luxembourg) and Pfalz (Germany). Might not be quite so hot and an easy trip from London. I also got the guidebook for the the Ticino area and there are lots of single pitch crags that might be cool enough, but tbh I don’t know and may well be wrong. 

ebdon 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

I am reliably informed (by people with young children) that font is very good for family orientated climbing hols, it's essentially a big beach (minus the water).

Allthough I did hear a story of one family who, in a fit of desperation, fitted a cowbell to their errant little one as the kept running off and getting lost in the forest!

heleno 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Iamgregp:

Quite a lot of nice sport climbing in Scotland (eg Moy Rock and Golspie) and June is often the best time of year to visit. 

rogerhill12 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Our friend says the dates are fixed so unreliable weather would spoil it.  I love The Dales for walking but more reliable weather than Portland?  Don't think so.

Post edited at 10:50
 Ian Broome 12 Feb 2024

The Tarn is an option.

Its hot by then, but lots of shade options as the sun moves round. 

Really interesting wall angles and hold types at that grade range. 

A really peaceful place to be, and beautiful setting

Post edited at 17:13
 Lankyman 12 Feb 2024
In reply to rogerhill12:

> Our friend says the dates are fixed so unreliable weather would spoil it.  I love The Dales for walking but more reliable weather than Portland?  Don't think so.

Where did I say the Dales had better weather than Portland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...