Removing graffiti from Gritstone (Baslow Edge)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyclimber 20 Feb 2021

Went for a walk from home (Baslow) today and found some idiot has written "LEON" in spray paint on the road end of Baslow Edge (right in the middle of Cracked Wall (HS 4a)). I'd like to try and remove it but definitely don't want to make things worse. Anyone got any advice for removing graffiti like this from gritstone?

Misha 20 Feb 2021
In reply to andyclimber:

Someone removed graffiti at the Roaches a couple of months back. Have a search in the forums, it might turn up their contact details. 

ATL 21 Feb 2021
In reply to andyclimber:

Sadly, that - along with other stuff on the Eagle Stone in the same yellow paint  - got done last summer. I contacted the PDNPA to see if they had a good chemical that was also environmentally acceptable, but they had run out. They were friendly and helpful - one of their staff went and did a lot of wire brushing to improve it on the Eagle Stone until it looked more like a lichen stain...ish. I felt that wire brushing was also damaging, but I don't think there is any one good solution. I have also given it a bit of brush/scrub sometimes when i ride by....  it's gradually going.

Now you have reminded me, I'll spend some time scrubbing "Leon" this week.. I'm pretty sure that an effective chemical would leave a clean stain that looks just like "leon"!

DerwentDiluted 21 Feb 2021
In reply to andyclimber:

I'd advise the use of vigorous abrasion with wire brushes, and probably the use of powertools and harsh caustic chemicals to remove Leon.

Unfortunately I can't help with suggestions for shifting the paint. ;0)

OP andyclimber 21 Feb 2021
In reply to ATL:

Thanks very much. I might take a brush next time I'm passing too. It's strange I really hadn't noticed "LEON" until yesterday despite passing a number of times over the past few months. Of course now I notice it all the time. 

In reply to andyclimber:

What about commercial paint remover?

bouldery bits 21 Feb 2021
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> I'd advise the use of vigorous abrasion with wire brushes, and probably the use of powertools and harsh caustic chemicals to remove Leon.

> Unfortunately I can't help with suggestions for shifting the paint. ;0)

Could we bolt Leon?

mountainbagger 21 Feb 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Could we bolt Leon?

Could we strip Leon and feature him in Classic *ock?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...