Peak Conditions Today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 18 Dec 2021

I'm currently sat on top of Mam Tor with a load of disappointed photographers.

We were hoping to get above the cloud level, but this isn't quite high enough.

The whole of the Northern Peak is totally clagged in, with thick wet fog.

The rock is wet, so if you are keen to climb, save yourself a drive and head straight to the wall! 

alan moore 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Kinder Southern Edges not far away?

OP Dan Arkle 18 Dec 2021
In reply to alan moore:

I did consider it, but my feet are not willing.

Someone saw a glimpse of blue from the top of Rushup Edge. 

TobyA 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Funnily enough I talked to my wife about going inversion hunting today on Kinder, but the MWIS Peak forecast I saw yesterday evening said it was very unlikely. I'm still in bed.

climber34neil 18 Dec 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Get out of bed and come to masson !

TobyA 18 Dec 2021
In reply to climber34neil:

Are you lot going? I'm out watching my youngest "play football" currently and it's pretty miserable, although I guess dry tooling is the climbing that weather doesn't really spoil. 😆

Post edited at 10:19
 tjdodd 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Stunning inversion at top of Jagger's Clough. Completely cloudless above and slivers of hillsides poking through the low cloud.

ChrisJD 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Clag still down at the valley floor (Hope Valley).

Was out on bike (MTB) last night hoping to break through the top of it. We failed.

ChrisJD 18 Dec 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

Lucky Dodd!

tjdodd 18 Dec 2021
In reply to ChrisJD:

Brocken spectre followed me around kinder North edge and saw a fogbow. 

Lucky indeed. 

TobyA 18 Dec 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

I should have a had a bit more faith and gone out for a walk! Those of us lazy type can blame Dan's original post on this thread for justifying our slothfulness.

veteye 18 Dec 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Please apologise to the Sloths. They are misrepresented, I'm sure.

OP Dan Arkle 18 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

Speaking of Sloths, I hear the Roaches was clear by 2pm.

More inversions tomorrow, but at a lower level so should be easier to get above it.

Sam Beaton 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

You should have waited! We started in Edale at 10 this morning and Rushup Edge, then Mam Tor, then Lose Hill were all poking out of the top of the cloud by the time we got to them. It was absolutely stunning

OP Dan Arkle 19 Dec 2021
In reply to n:

Sunday morning update. 

Very clear above a much lower inversion. 

Roads are deceptively icy. 

Rock will dry out. 

Here's a picture of Sheffield from Ringinglow 

TobyA 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Sheffield was hidden in mist as I drove up above Dronfield this morning. Now on the kinder northern edges where it is beautiful but no signs of inversions at all.

nigel n 19 Dec 2021
In reply to TobyA:

whaley bridge 0 degrees an hour ago

windgather and pym chair 6 degrees!

ChrisJD 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Some great fog bows today on White Edge and around Longshaw.

midgen 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Did the rock dry out? Got a free day tomorrow and was considering getting up to one of the edges.

Went for a walk round here (South Derbyshire) earlier and everything was soaked, didn't look like anything would dry out!

TobyA 19 Dec 2021
In reply to midgen:

> Did the rock dry out? Got a free day tomorrow and was considering getting up to one of the edges.

I'm not sure how long the eastern edges were out of the cloud for, but when I drove up past Froggatt today at about 3 pm it was foggy again at crag level and there was one car in the parking which seemed very unusual for that time on a Sunday, so I wonder if the conditions hadn't been great. In the morning I was up on Kinder - but on the northern side so the rock I saw (I went up one easy scramble and down another was all very green and damp feeling. At midday by the old Snake Inn (where I had parked) it was still cloudless but within a mile going back eastwards I was going into low cloud and mist. The sun was out again by Bamford village but I could see clouds up towards Stanage and Bamford Edge. I was meeting a mate to climb, so we decided to try Moss Rake - Luke doesn't live so far from there and said it was gorgeous at home. But by the time we both got to the parking we were in cloud again. We walked in in mist thinking we'd do nothing as the rock would be wet, but it annoyingly wasn't - so we had to have a go. We missed the turning for the Library in the mist, so ended up trying the easiest route on the Upper Tier, which is 6a+ almost my top grade for onsighting. So in the mist, cold and with no warm up I unsurprisingly didn't onsight it, but did it with rests. Another one to go back to redpoint properly! But the limestone felt really quite grippy even in the mist. Grit seems to be more affected by moisture in the air, not sure why that would be though.

steveb2006 21 Dec 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Kinder inversion on Sunday

Michael Hood 21 Dec 2021
In reply to steveb2006:

On the M62 on Sunday, going west at about 10:30 all was beautifully sunny until at the top, then clag from then on all the way into deepest darkest Yorkshire (orienteering near Wakefield).

On the way back at about 14:00 there was a bit more low cloud, half-way down before getting back into the sunshine, but there was a really surreal view of the windfarm NE of Rochdale, with only the tips coming out of the cloud bank, and then disappearing again.

Post edited at 14:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...