MTA DLOG question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 24 Feb 2021

Hi, a few quick questions.

1. I'm trying to log instructed sessions into DLOG. I get how I can add a route I have climbed, but how do I enter a session? Is it just a case of adding each and every climb, flagging it as "instructor" and then adding some comment? But this will record each session as multiple entries, when in reality there was only one session.

2. anyone got some examples of the form of reflective comments.

Thanks (PS. I'm trying to add this prior to training)

Alex Riley 24 Feb 2021
In reply to David Coley:

1. Add the routes you climbed as part of the instructional session. In the style drop down use instructor/supervisor.

Its not perfect but it kinda works. 

2. What went well in the session, what didn’t, how could you improve on this in the future.

For example.

Top roping session at stanage.

Today I had a group of 6 at stanage, we did a session of top rope climbing and group abseiling. All the group had success climbing something appropriate for their ability however towards the end of the session a few of the group members because less engaged. On chatting to them they had got a bit cold and didn’t fancy doing any more climbing. Next time I could make more efforts to check how group members are doing, perhaps have a mid session rewarmup game. I could also in the future look at whether we could go to a more sheltered venue in similar conditions.

Assessors and trainers want to see that you are learning and reflecting on your performances as you go. If you have a logbook of perfect sessions, you probably could reflect a bit more That said it doesn’t need to be an essay, keep it short and to the point.

LucaC 24 Feb 2021
In reply to David Coley:

Add -> Trad Climb -> Select Area -> Fill in the options and scroll down -> Select a climb -> Under 'Style' select 'Instructor/Supervisor' or whatever the appropriate option is. 

You can then add notes with the pen and paper icon under the 'Description' heading eg. "Two clients in series teaching leading. Messed up my ropework on p2 and got in a right tangle" etc etc.

Stu McInnes 24 Feb 2021
In reply to David Coley:

As already stated above David, but please be succinct with your detail as Luca mentions otherwise it takes us an absolute age to get through everyone's log books!

Also just a quick point about MT/MTA. You're going through a training and assessment process with MT (Mountain Training). MTA (Mountain Training Association) are a different entity - but that's something you should learn about on your training - enjoy! 

AndyRoss 24 Feb 2021
In reply to David Coley:

A good option is that most crags have a "Various Routes" entry or similar, and if you use that you can just put the details in that description box. That's what I tend to do for sessions where I'm teaching but not climbing. If I'm climbing routes too then I'll put the specific routes in.

lithos 24 Feb 2021
In reply to David Coley:

wow I'd thought you'd be running the session   your site is full of such good info for all levels of award (i used/use it during MIA training and since)

good luck with it all  but re your OP

cant comment of DLOG, it's not great

I've used reflective comments as a reminder/nudge for me, eg 'pissing with rain, maybe pack w/proofs!'   keep it short and pithy would be my take, or 'take more tea !'

enjoy

OP David Coley 25 Feb 2021
In reply to David Coley:

Thanks everyone. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...