Idwal slab ordinary route Vs Giants Crawl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jafferton91 05 Jul 2020

In terms of difficulty, how would Giants Crawl (Dow Crag) compare with Idwal Slab ordinary route? I would also be interested in a comparison with Corvus to.

Post edited at 15:41
In reply to jafferton91:

Of the three, I'd say Ordinary Route is the easiest.  Then, Giants Crawl and then Corvus.

Ordinary Route has the most awkward descent of the three, if that matters.

T.

Wizzy 05 Jul 2020
In reply to jafferton91:

Giants Crawl definitely has a more serious feel to it even if it is not particularly technical. I’d say it’s also the best of the three routes

LakesWinter 05 Jul 2020
In reply to jafferton91:

Giants crawl is so good. Just do that

Mark Eddy 05 Jul 2020
In reply to jafferton91:

To echo what's been said already. Ordinary route is the easiest of these 3. Then GC then Corvus.

Dow is a brilliant crag, well worth a visit. Go on a dry day as it's really slippery in damp conds

OP jafferton91 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks for the reply. Is GC for the most part "easy angled"? Would it be comparable to something like Dolmen Ridge in Wales (climby parts)? 

In reply to jafferton91:

For the most part yes, Giants Crawl is what you can see from below; an easy-angled slab.  What you can't see is that protection is sparse and that the crux of it is a couple of steeper moves after you've done the slab and moved along left at the top.

Jolly pleasant route though. Pick a dry day.

T.

static266 05 Jul 2020
In reply to jafferton91:

Giant’s Crawl is harder than Ordinary and better. If you want a good diff day on Dow Crag then head up C Ordinary route then traverse across to Easy Terrace to descend close to the start of Giant’s Crawl then take it all the way to the top of the crag. 

Rog Wilko 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Wizzy:

> Giants Crawl definitely has a more serious feel to it even if it is not particularly technical. I’d say it’s also the best of the three routes

I would agree with that, but I would go further and say it IS more serious. Its position with a steep wall below your right hand side and rather spaced gear means that a leader fall might be quite catastrophic, and it is clear from his resume that the OP has almost no climbing experience. I think there are better routes for him to cut his teeth.

wilkesley 07 Jul 2020
In reply to jafferton91:

Corvus involves a traverse. It's called a "hand traverse", but there are huge handholds and decent footholds. If you can't find any decent protection, you might be in for a big swing if you fall off. It's more than 30 years since I last climbed it, so exact details are a bit vague!

C Witter 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm not sure it's unsuitable, but out of interest, which routes would you suggest, Rog? I struggle to think of anything much that is easier and safer, though of course single-pitch might be less serious.

E.g. Crescent Route paired with Gwynne's Chimney on Pavey is possibly easier, but probably with more objective danger! Middlefell Buttress is delightful and obvious, but only if you skip pitch 1. It's hard to sort out a belay at the big ledge, too, especially if you run the long (good) middle section as one pitch and are consequently running out of rope. Tarn Crag is a bit esoteric, with occasionally tricky route finding. Upper Scout maybe, though the routes are a little harder. The only real contenders for 'less serious' status that I can think of in the Lakes are C Ordinary and possibly Sunshine Arete; single-pitch routes on Brown Slabs at Shepherds; possibly some diminuitive crag like Glaciated Slab (which I've not visited).

N. Wales has some good classic scrambles and Diffs, but I don't want to concede too much to Snowdonia as it's already getting a bit big for its boots.

Post edited at 18:08
In reply to static266:

> Giant’s Crawl is harder than Ordinary and better. If you want a good diff day on Dow Crag then head up C Ordinary route then traverse across to Easy Terrace to descend close to the start of Giant’s Crawl then take it all the way to the top of the crag. 

Although I haven't climbed now for nearly 15 years, that's the sort of route I might still want to do in very old age (I'm 70 now), maybe with someone younger to take over the lead if necessary. (I never had any luck with climbing on Dow Crag. I went up there four times in about 2 decades and EACH time it started to rain very heavily just as I got to Goats Water.)

Post edited at 18:20
 Michael Gordon 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yes, even the second coming off could be 'interesting'! Perhaps best avoided in the wet.

Andysomething 07 Jul 2020

I led Giant's Crawl in my walking boots.  My partner was 70+ years making a comeback after a few decades off.  The one section where it was damp was nervy to say the least with some moves above and away from gear.  Great route and my partner really enjoyed the day.  In the dry it would be even better.

In reply to Michael Gordon:

The natural tendency after the 'hand traverse' pitch is to belay on the ledge afterwards. It's big, there are good anchors, you can see your second.

But if you move up a bit you can belay above the middle of the traverse pitch, meaning that your second has a much better protected time of it.  Makes things a lot less nervy for a second who isn't too experienced.

T.

Michael Gordon 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Ah OK, it's a long time since I did it. I think I was a bit above them, but they'd still have been going over the edge if they'd come off.

Post edited at 21:12
OP jafferton91 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think given the experience of the group I am in we will stick to Scrambles up to grade 3. Naturally there is Pinnacle ridge but what other outings are worth a go?

Rog Wilko 07 Jul 2020
In reply to C Witter:

I think C Ordinary is a good shout. There are several good Diffs and V Diffs at Grey Crag Buttermere. For multi-pitch at V Diff the two at Wallabarrow are pretty good and generally well protected.

C Witter 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Weather forecasting may have improved since your last visit, Gordon  

C Witter 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Ah yes, I forgot about Grey Crag. Harrow Buttress (easy Diff) combined with Chockstone Ridge (exciting Mod) and either a scramble to the top or a single pitch of exquisite severe slab climbing up Oxford & Cambridge Direct. Or possibly the VDiff variants to the left (which I've not done). I do love a bit of Grey Crag.

In reply to C Witter:

> Weather forecasting may have improved since your last visit, Gordon  

Indeed. Last visit was 1991.

kaiser 08 Jul 2020
In reply to jafferton91:

> I think given the experience of the group I am in we will stick to Scrambles up to grade 3. Naturally there is Pinnacle ridge but what other outings are worth a go?

You can string a few scrambles together in Langdale...  

Muck around up Stickle Ghyll then over to The Groove on Tarn Crag (easy G3) then from the tarn walk round to Harrison Stickle SW Face which is a cracker at G2 and looks quite daunting from below and with an audience too from the Dungeon Ghyll footpath.

It's a short walk to Pike o Stickle West Ridge (G3) which is reached via a rather steep scree approach but is worth it.

Finish with the lovely walk out via Stakes pass and Mickelden.

Only drawback with this is that it's not really the sort of day you want to be lugging ropes and rack around on so perhaps not suitable for your party?  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...