Climbing on TV - Ascent of Mars Mountain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Briggs 13 May 2003
It's at 8pm on Channel 4 this Sunday. Just in time for when you get back from the climbing wall...

Brian Blessed stars alongside Catherine Destivelle and Jagged Globe Director, Steve Bell.

There's not that much hardcore climbing action, but it's worth it just to see Blessed and Destivelle throwing up after being spun round in a swivel chair somewhere in Russia (simulating weightlessness... or that's what the nice Russian scientists told them).

The space suits are pretty cool too, but it looks like Catherine sneaked a pair of sticky Approach Shoes into her overnight space grip... for the tricky VS pitch.

And there's rockfall on Mars too, Blessed nearly gets wiped out at one point.

Worth watching ***

Skyfall 13 May 2003
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

are you pissed?
silverback 13 May 2003

do crampons work on chocolate?
 Duncan Bourne 14 May 2003
When is the new Mars guide book coming out?
 Mountain Lass 14 May 2003
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor)
> When is the new Mars guide book coming out?

I think they're still in the process of updating the 1980 one?

I heard there's a new solarfax one coming out soon, but there's some problem with it not covering every known meteor in the sea of tranquillity...

ml

michaelw 15 May 2003
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
is there any link between this climbing project and the annoncement that the Russians were thinking of bringing their Buran (snowstorm) space shuttles out of mothballs?
Will 16 May 2003

Didn't Brian Blessed already not quite manage Eeverest? Surely climbing something bigger in a space-suit's not gonna be easy?

www.RockMonkey.co.uk
FishCake 16 May 2003

wtf is going on?

James Jackson 16 May 2003
In reply to FishCake:

You, sir, are as confused as I.

It's all gone a bit surreal. I thought Brian Blessed was only any good as an emergency british supervillain?
DELF 18 May 2003
In reply to James Jackson: can i get a lift off anyone for the next trip!?
 Jack Frost 18 May 2003

This programme is ridiculous. What a waste of money.

DELF 18 May 2003
In reply to Jack Frost: just thinking that myself!
pile ov kak as we say in first school!
snoreman 18 May 2003
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: bloody hell bout 8.25 i fell asleep zzzzzzzzzzzzz you could hear me for miles !!!
 Ben C 18 May 2003
In reply to Duncan Bourne: I have a photocopy topo i got off this guy in the park when i was walking home from the pub.
 Duncan Bourne 19 May 2003
In reply to Ben C:
What the progamme didn't say was that Gary Gibson had already nailed the best lines
 Offwidth 19 May 2003
In reply to Duncan Bourne: I think you mean bolted, not nailed.

Rubbish...Mr Bell will get a bit of ribbing, one of the best climbers in the world eh?
 Rob Naylor 19 May 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

He deserves any ribbing he gets, being associated with that pile of crap...not only crap, but actually *boring*!

Talk about dumbed-down TV.
 Offwidth 19 May 2003
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Advertising for Jagged Globe...so no news is bad news?? (bit like the BBC breakfast stuff on his Everst team today)
 Al Evans 19 May 2003
And there's rockfall on Mars too, Blessed nearly gets wiped out at one point.

Worth watching ***

Now that would be worth watching if he really did get wiped out.
Blessed is an embarrasment to any real climbers in his pathetic attempts to be taken as a serious mountaineer, for gods sake, most of the actors I meet are absolutely convinced that he led an Everest Expedition up the N Ridge and summited solo without oxygen, go knows what he tells them. We should not back up his pathetic antics with credibility. What on Earth Steve was doing getting involved with the prat is beyond me, money I suppose!
It was just as stupid and undeserving of TV space as most things Blessed does with mountaineering
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: It was a bit disappointing, wasn't it!

Anyway, how were they proposing to get all the loads? Regular air drops of food, water, oxygen & inflatable airlocked tents? Not to mention all the ropes! You can't employ dozens of locals to carry it all for you

john alcock 19 May 2003
In reply to Nick Smith:
Judging by Steve Bell's performance at Portland at the weekend, he is indeed some way short of being "one of the best climbers in the world".
And how long ago was Catherine "world climbing champion"?
This must be the first programme ever made where it was so bad the actors threw up at their own performances.
But then again I'm a bitter and twisted would-be adventure film-maker who can't get my ideas commissioned.
OP Tom Briggs 19 May 2003
In reply to john alcock:
> (In reply to Nick Smith)
> Judging by Steve Bell's performance at Portland at the weekend, he is indeed some way short of being "one of the best climbers in the world".

Ouch. Somehow I don't think Steve wrote the commentary

I watched it with a non-climber who thought it was pretty entertaining.

In defense, I reckon most people would jump at the chance of joining an all-expenses paid trip to an island in the Indian Ocean with Catherine Destivelle.

In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor)

Don't be such a prude!

Al Evans 19 May 2003
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> Don't be such a prude!

A prude?
Prude (prood) n A person who affects great modesty or propriety, especially in sexual matters (Cassell's Concise English Dictionary)
Tom, I really dont understand your comment :-?
 Rob Naylor 19 May 2003
In reply to Al Evans:

I think he's referring to the fact that you kept it clean, didn't call the programme "fcuking shite" or amything like that, thus exhibiting prudish sensibilities and an unwillingness to tell it like it is .
Anonymous 19 May 2003
In reply to Rob Naylor: if the gravity is 3 times less that earth (i think thats what they said??) anyway u wouldnt be climbing up u would be jumping it would be a piss take
 Al Evans 19 May 2003
In reply to Rob Naylor: Of course Rob, now that you explain it.......
 Rob Naylor 19 May 2003
In reply to Anonymous:

You could do some awesome dynos. that's for sure.
Slugain Howff 19 May 2003
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor
> Blessed nearly gets wiped out at one point.

Now if I'd known that I would have tuned in........

Duncan Bourne 19 May 2003
One bit of the show that wasn't boring was Ms Destival scampering up that tower in Utah at the start. Pretty impressive I thought.
What route was it?
It wasn't the one that Airlie had a fight with was it?
 Matthew B 19 May 2003

My favourite was the simulation of 1/3 Earth gravity by oversized novelty helium balloons (in a cross-wind) -- superb
Anonymous 19 May 2003
In reply to Matthew B: mine was that fat bastard being sick in russia
 Simon Caldwell 19 May 2003
I expected it to be quite good in a Cliffhanger type way. But unfortunately it was so bad it wasn't even funny, just vaguely embarrassing for all concerned (even Mr Blessed)
 Toby_W 19 May 2003
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: When will climbers learn to be a bit less up tight about anything to do with climbing on the telly? It's nearly as bad as listening to a load of computer geeks moaning about some film blockbuster that had windows working better than linux or something. It was just pretend and a fun way of showing a little light hearted science.
Cheers
Toby
In reply to Toby_W:

Hear hear!

Well put Toby.
 Rob Naylor 19 May 2003
In reply to Toby_W:

I said nothing about the climbing itself. It was just a bad, meretricious, boring programme. I actually dozed off for part of it, and re-awoke to the bit where they were all stumbling down that lava tube "oh, watch it, there's a hole"..."it's crumbly, a bit came off in my hand"..."wow, it's big: 20 metres high and 20 metres in diameter" (well duuuhh!).

Sorry, it was just awful and very unenlightening about the science. My 3 kids could have done better with some papier mache and some old fairy liquid bottles.

Crap is crap, whether it contains climbing or not.
 Offwidth 19 May 2003
In reply to Toby_W:

'light hearted science'

Sorry, how stupid of me, I didnt realise we were watching a scientific equivalent of Blackadder.
 Simon Caldwell 19 May 2003
In reply to Toby_W:
> a fun way of showing a little light hearted science

Only it wasn't fun, took itself far too seriously, and contained no actual science.
 Toby_W 19 May 2003
Did I touch a nerve?
Sorry
Cheers
Toby
 Rob Naylor 19 May 2003
In reply to Toby_W:

Don't think so...you just spouted shite and were pulled up for it.
Ren 19 May 2003
Excuse me, but correct me if I'm wrong, Brain Blessed is an actor by trade and not a learned skilled climber. Most of his adventures take place for charity or to raise his public profile, which then contributes to his tireless work for Charity.

You know, actually watching someone interesting and charismatic climb a mountain, like Brian who is a legend should bring nothing but good to mountaineering in advertising at the very least.

But you sit here and complain about the 'fat bastard' who 'couldn't even climb everest' - excuse me but Brian's about 65 isn't he? A 65 year old man climbing mountains? In all truth he should be sitting around moaning like some of you lot.

And i believe he still holds the world record for being the oldest man to reach antarctica. I wish i was a tireless adventurer like Blessed, and I hope that you have your fingers crossed that you'll still be doing what he is in twenty years time.
DanM 19 May 2003
In reply to Ren:

> And i believe he still holds the world record for being the oldest man to reach antarctica.

What a hero. Did he fly or take the boat?

I think you mean the South Pole.

Btw I agree with your gist.

Climber 19 May 2003
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: Typical, another climb done with supplemental oxygen.
 Rob Naylor 20 May 2003
In reply to Ren:

Hey, I'm not complaining about Blessed. OK, he's a luvvy, and he exaggerates some of his actions (ie his story about going over and pissing in the tent of the Japanese team who supposedly left the Indian climbers to die) but the guy has guts, and I won't knock him for being "guided" on his Everest attempts.

My complaint, if you look at my posts, is purely that the programme was crap...absolute, unmitigated, meretricious garbage. A dumbed-down waste of production time and money containing negligible real science, with the climbing as a mere gimmick to hang the rest of the non-event on.

I can't knock Blessed for doing it...that's his profession, but Bell and Destivelle should have had a bit of professional pride about it!
 Offwidth 20 May 2003
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Agreed, it was the programme that was crap, not Brian, who is always the same great larger-than-life character....on Everest, in Blackadder or Mars Mountain ascents
 Simon Caldwell 20 May 2003
In reply to DanM:
> I think you mean the South Pole

I thought it was the North Pole? Which would make the achievement even more significant.
 Al Evans 20 May 2003
In reply to Ren: I have a lot more respect for somebody like Michael Palin who undertakes his adventures in a quiet thoughtful way which is nevertheless far more intersting than the bilge that Blessed spouts out.
Al Urker 20 May 2003
In reply to Al Evans:

But in all fairness, Blessed has got to within about 100m of the summit of Everest (albeit probably carried by sherpas!). Palin, nice bloke as he is, has only done the equivalent of backpacking round the world, which even students do.
AL Urker 20 May 2003

Besides the lower gravity, there's almost no wind on Mars is there?

And no weather.

Therefore one of the major factors in mountain failures and fatalities has been removed, and it's rock climbing all the way!!
Ming 20 May 2003

GORDON's ALIIIIIVE!?!?!?!?
Simon Overton 21 May 2003
In reply to Al Evans:

You obviously know nothing at all about Blessed nor have you ever met him. Having had the delight of been taught by him in on an RSC course I have to say you are talking out of your proverbial posterior.
colski 21 May 2003
In reply to Simon Overton:

In climbing terms, can Blessed actually climb to any standard at all? Or is he a plodder, which is the impression I get from reading The Purple Mountain.
Whenever I see him on tv he has just been karted off a hill wheezing, or he has just failed another attempt on everest...

I'm sure he's a really nice bloke though.
Sammy-B 22 May 2003
In reply to Ren:

I agree. The idea was OK, the show itself a little dull maybe, but fair play to the man for trying to promote the whole spirit of adventure thing. I mean the whgole point if I'm not mistaken was to show people that although all the obvious explorations and extreme adventures may be pretty much wrapped up, witha little imagination there are still some impressive challenges out there.

I do have two gripes however.

1) Where was Ray Mears? If the fat man ain't there, walking in temeratures of + or - 80C in a pair of shoes made of wombat eardrums and eating the local deadly poisonous rattler-croc-scorpion then it ain't hard!

2) As they were operating in 1/3 gravity, how come they didn't take mountain bikes with 'em for the ulitimate downhill trial? Seeing Brian Big Beard careering down a mountain twice the height of Everest in a big white Michelin Man outfit and catching some air in 1/3 gravity...now that would have been a laff!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...