Best Climb/Climbing Day of the Year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 C Witter 24 Dec 2023

As we come to the close of the year, I thought it would be nice to have a thread of reflection and golden memories on people's best climb or climbing day of the year - and I don't mean best grade, but happiest or most surprising or most meaningful climb/day.

I'm mulling on mine... It's not easy, as I've had happy days with friends in Cumbria, Wales, at Stanage, in Northumberland, Morocco and Spain. But, having struggled profoundly these last two years with losing my partner, this year a new relationship bloomed with a wonderful and very supportive person who is also an old friend. And so I found myself in the surreal situation, one weekend, of guiding her 68-year-old mother, sister and sister's friend up Milestone Direct. Eveything went very smoothly and joyfully... And so it's not the E-this or 350m quartize that which leaps out, but being able to be at the centre of all that joy, which was really precious.

Thanks in advance for your stories

Post edited at 10:30
 Rog Wilko 24 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Your post is heart warming.
Only one climbing day this year, sadly. May even by last ever, for a number of reasons. But I’ve had a good innings and all good things come to an end.

But it was a great day. Elder daughter Zoe was over from Australia and we went to visit a recently developed small and insignificant crag in my favourite Lakeland valley, the biggest one that doesn’t have a lake. It didn’t rain. 

Jon Read 24 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Many good times, but while I ticked off some life-list routes (thank you Edgehog, you did not disappoint), the most enjoyable route for me was Route Two (HVS 5a) at Diabaig -- I thought the climbing and rock were sublime, particularly on pitch 2. The rest of the day/week was pretty good too.

Post edited at 16:47
 Mark Eddy 24 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Have enjoyed quite a few wonderful climbing days this year. Standout days include:

Jones' Direct on Scafell - with a good friend and in glorious weather. Finishing along Knife Edge Arete and onto the Scafell plateau is up there with the very best places I've ever climbed.

A day on Dow with a couple of friends cruising some of the easy routes and having a fun, sociable day.

This week has been pretty spectacular too. 2 x traverses of the Bernia ridge (Alicante) and a day on the Toix sea cliffs. All with bluebird skies and warm air/rock.

Climbing is ace

Andy Hemsted 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Sorry to hear that you're not on the crags so much now Roger ... still keeping in touch with the climbing world though.

I think that my favourite experience of 2023 was a return to Inner Space HVS at Mother Carey's with strong-but-relatively-new-to-trad Graham. I led a first pitch up to the roof, and he was going to lead the traverse-across-the-roof chimney. At the belay he looked rather apprehensive (!) and said 'What happens if I can't do it?'

Of course, he was fine once he got moving, and was buzzing with excitement all the way. It was great to second that pitch as well, just gob-smacking... what a route!

rurp 24 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Desmaison (TD 6a+)

Beautiful hot day climbing with both kids. Doesn’t happen so much these days now they have left home so every day is a stolen one.

When a Scarpa walking boot escaped from a certain rucksack at lunchtime and fell 300m  unharmed onto the scree below we had to ab off without finishing. Would have been a long walk off the top in rock boots. All part of the Alpine apprenticeship…😂
The route still be there and you never know, we might get another chance next year. 

In reply to C Witter:

After a frustrating year of injury in 2022 I've been recovering in 2023 and now happily I'm most of the way there. The climbing highlight of the year was probably the Dubh slabs finally after many years of wanting to do it but nothing quite lining up right. I also had a few good days in the peak and ticked a couple of classic HVSes at Frogatt. I've now moved back to Wales and looking forward to getting back to hunting out obscure mountain routes in south snowdonia, if I can persuade anyone to come with me that is.

Mike-W-99 24 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Great topic so many good days this year however the following was a definite highlight.

Finally getting to the Dubh Loch and doing The Mousetrap (Summer) (VS 4c). September as well with bone dry rock and perfect weather, too hot if anything! Followed up with chips & beer in Aboyne, a perfect combo.

In reply to C Witter:

Mine was simul-climbing Acqua concert (TD- 6a) with an old friend. Bottom to top in 4 hours in perfect weather and great company. It doesn't get any better than that

Post edited at 20:23
 Sean Kelly 24 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

There are certain days that linger in the memory for years but they are few in number. It is different days and experiences for different people. Often others will cite a particular day we either climbed or walked together  but for myself it was nothing especially out of the ordinary. But there was a day on Cloggy 2 or 3 years back climbing Great/Bow. It was a real mountaineering day. And also this past year. It was May  the first day of what turned into a glorious early summer. Rupert and I had elected to walk into Gillercombe Buttress. There was an early frost  and I climbed with winter bottoms in the cool mountain air. I had done the Classic Rock route before in winter when snow was clothing out most features on the cliff.  Conditions were ideal and we (Al Metelko & myself) had quickly dismissed the climb. To however it was certainly a rock climb. As we climbed Sour Milk Ghyll the crag came into view, resplendent inearly spring sunshine. Rupert started the first pitch which resulted in my having the delightful crux pitch.  We basked in welcome warmth of the sun at the top and surveyed the wonderful scene before us. We had encountered nobody that lovely morning and could have been the only beings in the world that day. Great Gable beckoned, a peak I had ascended mant times, but not fron thus approach. The next day we duly climbed up to this splendid peak. It wS such a special week to be in Borrowdale as it has nearly always been in the autumn or winter. A memorable week for so many reasons.

Martin Haworth 24 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter: Many good days climbing this year. Gogarth, Verdon, Font, High Crag we’re all highlights this year but my best day was probably Pelvoux Traverse (PD+), a great alpine route that has a bit of everything and I’ve wanted to do it for many years.

Exile 24 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Lots of good days this year but the prize goes to either Bowfell Buttress with one of my sons or Amistad con el Diablo on Naranjo de Bulnes with good friends. 

Mike-W-99 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Lovely route and such an easy approach 😀

Mark Kemball 24 Dec 2023

aIn reply to C Witter:

Great thread. My best day must have been 19th July, climbing with a good friend from my university days back in the ‘70s. We climbed Grooved Arete (HVD) on Pikes Crag, my first time on the crag, well worth doing. We then walked on to Scafell Pike summit. On our way down, Mike persuaded me that this was the time to get on Botterill's Slab (VS 4c). What a great route. This had been on my tick list since we had a photo of it on a club dinner ticket in the 70s. I’m so glad I’d waited as it felt nicely very close to my limit. If I’d climbed it earlier in my career, it would not have been the same experience. 

Post edited at 22:10
OP C Witter 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Mike-W-99:

A trip to Dubh Loch is on my wishlist for next year

OP C Witter 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Although straightforward, Gillercombe Buttress is a precious memory for me, too. I've done it three times over the years, but the one that is lodged in my heart is a really happy day with my partner, a year before she passed away. It was a beautiful, bright day and the route suited her well. I'd managed things carefully and she enjoyed every minute, except trying to remove a pink tricam I stupidly placed (why I decided to carry it, I don't know; two kind gents helped her get it out). Afterward, we loafed along the fell tops and back down the long way to paddle in the gill, and I can still see the look on her face, sitting in a pool of sunlight, feet splashing, looking back up at the buttress proudly.

Post edited at 23:16
OP C Witter 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks Rog. I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to get out as frequently as you would have liked, but it sounds like a lovely day with your daughter, and I imagine those days are doubly precious given she lives so far away. Hope you enjoy the holidays.

OP C Witter 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I did Botterill's Slab in 2020 with a close friend, on a baking day but lost in the mist. At the top, I found myself projected as a Brocken Spectre on the cloud below me. We were both elated after lockdown restrictions all spring, and carried on to Moss Ledge Direct and Jones Arete (mentioned by another poster in the thread). Another really fun and iconic route. Glad you had such a good day and had saved it for the right moment.

climbingpixie 25 Dec 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

Funnily enough, Route Two was my worst route of the year! I've been having lead head issues on lead since I took a big fall in 2022 and they reared up when faced with making a couple of insecure moves on pitch 2. I had an absolute meltdown, not far off a full blown panic attack, despite it being well within my grade and having good gear at waist height. I lowered off in floods of tears and was utterly despondent - made worse by then having to follow it and finding it trivial on second. This was on day 2 of a week long Scottish trip and I was pretty convinced I wasn't going to be able to lead anything all week. I'd really wanted to lead The Pillar (E2 5b) but obviously didn't feel up to it after my woeful performance on Route Two. Eventually I managed to get a grip on my emotions and, faced with the choice of trying it on lead or being forced to second my partner up it, racked up and cracked on.

Beat day for me was probably two days later, when we found ourselves on beautiful sunny Carnmore. We romped up Fionn Buttress (VS 4c) then abbed down the corner and did Gob (HVS 4c),  following it up the next day with Balaton (E1 5b) and Dragon (E1 5b). My partner climbs a fair bit harder so he let me do all the crux pitches and by the end of it I really felt like I was getting my mojo back. Tbh it's hard to pick a best day from that week as on our last weekend we also did Shibboleth (E2 5c) and Trapeze (E1 5b), both of which were amazing (especially Shibboleth - truly an incredible route, especially with the wild True Finish).

George_Surf 25 Dec 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

what's on the list?!

In reply to George_Surf:

I'd like to do more in Cwm Cywarch - tap y gigfran is an impressive looking crag, as is ffenestr y Craig, and I've not climbed anything on either. I'd also like to get back to gist ddu (maybe with a spade and a brush! For Sloose (HVS 5a) and Voie Suisse (E2 5b) in particular) and I've never been to simdde ddu. I'd like to do more on cadair as well, particularly Touchstone (VS 4c) and Crack of Cau (HVS 5a) on craig cau and Gwydrin (E1 5b) and Claw Mark (HS 4b) and possibly something on twr du on the north side. I've also never climbed at Craig Bodlyn and theres plenty I've never properly explored in the rhinogydd, including some impressive looking crags that I'm pretty sure haven't been climbed on. Plenty to be going at anyway!

Andy Clarke 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

I've had a frustrating and disappointing year, as physical issues and pain from long-ago groundfall injuries have finally started to restrict my climbing significantly. But I did have one rather lovely day bouldering at the remote and esoteric  Mynydd y Graig, a small escarpment that looks like it's escaped from the grit, perched up above the tiny village of Rhiw, right out on the end of the Llyn peninsula. It's one of those places where you can feel surrounded by glittering sea and sky. I shan't be doing any more big hard routes or foreign trips, but it's all still worth it for the odd magical day like that.

OP C Witter 25 Dec 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> It's one of those places where you can feel surrounded by glittering sea and sky.

Beautiful... I do know what you mean. Some of the natural gritstone in the Forest of Bowland looks out to across the Bay, and, after many, many visits... I can go feeling the barest enthusiasm, only to find each time that its beauty still has the power to take my breath away.

Merry Christmas.

midgen 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Best day, one of the routes in Morocco, probably Gamma (HVS), closely followed by Pan's Labyrinth (HS 4b). First time in Tafraout and will definitely be back (when it's a bit cooler and less snakey!) 

A few first of the grades this year too,   which will always stick in the memory, Mississippi Variant Direct (E1 5b) earlier in the spring. Then got my big boy pants on and did Ratbag (E2 5b) and Four Pebble Slab (E3 5c) on last trad day of the year. Realised bold slabs are definitely my favourite climbing.

I had a wonderful day bouldering in July at Burbage North which finished with failing to get up Remergence Start (f6B). My best friend who was there that day passed suddenly a few weeks later and that was the last day I saw him. 

Post edited at 07:50
 tjekel 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Difficult to select, but in terms of alpine  landscape, rock quality and overall full day outing I'm not sure if was Soleil Trompeur on Sagnette in the Ecrins or the less known South pillar on Nuvolo in the Pala Dolomites - a thoroughly enjoyable piece of rock.

gribble 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

For me, I think it was a lazy day in Cornwall, just soloing stuff at Bosigran with my teenage daughter. It felt like a real coming of age experience, and was utterly enjoyable.

JamesG 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Troutdale pinnacle in the spring with my gf. Looking down as I pulled through the last moves and seeing her looking up from the pinnacle, seemingly floating on an island above the trees, is something that sticks in my mind.

Returning to the Chromlech and making light work of Noahs Warning after a nightmare the year before.

First real sea cliff experience doing Gogarth with my mate Paul. Would never have imagined being able to do that a couple years ago.

Odd days of form on the grit, April Arete and the Rainmaker were both satisfying outings. 

Quite a few good memories from a year that seemed to rain constantly tbh 

DaveHK 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

No massive stand outs this year but a lot of really nice days.

Soloing Birch Tree Wall at Brimham on a crisp autumn day having wanted to do it for over 30 years was pretty nice.

100 routes at Reiff early on in the year was good.

Post edited at 10:39
 Mark Bull 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

A day with my partner developing this wee crag:  Meall Dearg - Summit Crag in Coigach. The routes are short and easy but the  rock is good and the outlook is lovely. 

DaveHK 25 Dec 2023
In reply to Mark Bull:

> A day with my partner developing this wee crag:  Meall Dearg - Summit Crag in Coigach. The routes are short and easy but the  rock is good and the outlook is lovely. 

I had a wander about up there in September but couldn't find any of the routes in the current guide!

Fredt 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Three diffs on Stanage have been my greatest achievement for years.

Haven't climbed since 2016 due to a bad fall that smashed my heel, and the resulting surgery virtually destroyed the muscles, nerves and tendons in my foot. Can't wiggle my toes or put weight on them.
Tried several times over the years, but any small foothold was agony. Tried several different footwear, from my old EBs to my Mescalitos to my Nepal Evos. Finally this year I managed to patch up my ancient Guide Tennies, and managed a relatively pain-free climb. 

(Any unwanted size 9 original Guide Tennies welcome!)

In reply to C Witter:

A day with my daughter at Vicarage Cliff. She did all the leading, as I've not been out much. Her leading Box of Delights, 39 odd years after Pete and I did the first ascent, was a poignant moment. At the risk of descending into cliché, there was a real feeling of the baton being passed on a generation.

OP C Witter 25 Dec 2023
In reply to climbingpixie:

Sounds like a truly amazing trip... I hope to spend a bit more time in Scotland next year, but don't think we'll get to Carnmore, though. Another year... hopefully!

timparkin 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

My favourite couple of days started when a colleague said "do you fancy coming up and climbing the Old Man of Hoy?". With the caveat that we'd have to do it the next day and we'd be driving up and climbing it on the same day. Having never seconded harder than HVS, I was unsure .. for about ten minutes and then I gave myself a good kicking - Old Man of Hoy, guaranteed amazing weather in brilliant company!! I couldn't say no. 

The day was a blast - great company on the drive up. The taxi driver regaling us with stories of the original ascent. Walk into it to arrive at 4pm (in April) and I loved the climbing. The crux was  techy instead of thrutchy and went smoothly. Then a cruise up to the top including the last crack pitch just as the sun was nearly touching the horizon. Sunset from the top and abbing down in twilight. 

Then a bottle of whisky in the bothy and a leisurely drive back in the morning

Mark Bull 25 Dec 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Hopefully the access details I have added on here (see also  Meall Dearg - Dome Crag and  Meall Dearg - April Fool Crag ) will be useful if you go back. All the route details are on the SMC new routes site. For low grade routes this area is a nice alternative to Reiff with no parking issues! There have also been some routes done on Meall an Fheadain which I haven’t had a chance to explore yet: details on the SMC site. 

Post edited at 19:17
 rattusrattus 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Hard to pick a specific climb from the trip, but my two weeks in Chamonix this year were amazing.

I managed to tear a pulley a week before going so had very low expectations which allowed me to adjust to the climbing slowly and just enjoy the whole experience.

I’d been desperate to do Rebuffat Baquet ever since having it pointed out to me by a guide at the Arcteryx Academy three years prior.

I was with two friends who I had met in the pub in town, and both had made it clear they didn’t feel confident leading any of it. I was feeling so anxious on the walk down the ridge that I was going to fail dismally and just have to trudge back to the lift in defeat.

I was particularly nervous about the S crack as I hadn’t really led anything much harder than VS since breaking my back the year prior. Once I started climbing it all felt easy and was enjoying every move I made.

I watched the team above struggle on the S crack and the nerves came back. I set off with the intention of just dogging up it if I had to then suddenly was at the anchor.

I then accidentally linked P3&4 into one exhausting pitch, and sat for lunch on the midway ledge.

Clouds rolled in, and an easy consensus to bail was reached. Climbed up in summer alpine conditions in tshirts, abbed off in snow and dark clouds in our hard shells. 

Rolled into the Cosmiques hut, drank some beers then set up our tents and whizzed up the Chere the next day.

Back on the ground for 2 for 1 pizzas at the pub by 3

OP C Witter 25 Dec 2023
In reply to rattusrattus:

Epic! Lifetime climb. Hope you avoid any more injuries in the new year.

climbingpixie 25 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

It was amazing!! We were so lucky to have booked that week off - you really couldn't have asked for better weather! Such a contrast to week one of our Scotland trip last year, which was mostly spent hiding from the howling gales and driving rain on Lewis.

In a way, it was almost a waste of great conditions to climb on Carnmore as it's such a sunny and quick drying crag but the nice weather and great views just made it feel really special. Plus, I'm usually a total wuss when it comes to long approaches so when I suggested Carnmore my partner leapt at the opportunity, fearing it might be the only time I'd agree to a 5 hour walk in!

Getting to do Shibboleth in almost dry conditions was awesome! And all the better for being the second team on the crag and the first team on the route on what must be a contender for the busiest day of the year on Slime Wall - by the time I'd seconded pitch 2, there were TWO parties waiting on the pitch one belay and a steady stream of climbers trudging up the gully to the crag!

alan moore 26 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Not so much about climbing days, but climbing moments these days.

Me and youngest son turned off the M6 because it was clear and cold and sunny and way too nice to spend the whole day driving. We went to Ramshaw because there is nowhere better. Running found the rocks in icy sunshine, crawling through tunnels and enjoying his appreciation of the place even though he has zero interest in climbing. I took a few moments to do Phallic Crack which I hadn't done since my first gritstone day in 1988. In half an hour we were driving off again.

Best part was, he says to me the other day, "when are we going back to Ramshaw Rocks again?"

Robert Durran 26 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

No particular day stands out, but loads of great climbing in the NW and the Hebrides during the endless sunshine from April to June. Finally felt like I was back on track and really enjoying myself on rock for the first time since the pandemic.

Wally 26 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Hi Chris,

great thread. I did get out much this year, big young family constraints. However, the days I did were chocolate box! Best was in the dry spell in May. A couple of long standing friends and I walked in to Raeburns Arête followed by NEB on the Ben. Walked off via CMD. Did it in shorts and t shirt in mid May. Beautiful. Great climb, great banter and great day out. Followed in the day after with a couple of new peaks!! Lovely. 

Sounds like you’ve had some great days. Scotland is calling next year. 

A. 

John Kelly 26 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Climbing with the family is always fun, just had a great Boxing day freezing on a damp Pavey Ark with the daughter followed by a dip in the tarn. In the summer we manage to get my 15 yr old none climber round the Cosmics Arete, he's now keen to haul me up Mont Blanc but the stand out route was climbing the Matterhorn via hornli in September with my eldest son. I had major issues with the altitude above 3800 but he (well  acclimatised) hauled and encouraged me up the last 600m and closely guarded my descent, we rapped the last pitch to the Solvay emergency hut (3900?m) on descent (knackered), never been so happy to see ' civilisation' and after a night in the hut I was recovered enought to make a reasonable descent, absolutely brilliant experience, often when I'm quiet I reflect on that day/s with great pleasure. Top tip, acclimatise throughly.

Enjoying this thread

Post edited at 20:20
 DaveHK 26 Dec 2023
In reply to Mark Bull:

> There have also been some routes done on Meall an Fheadain which I haven’t had a chance to explore yet: details on the SMC site. 

I've been there, it's a lovely spot and nice rock but you could do all the routes in about half an hour. Some of them are weirdly overgraded, like 3 grades out.

OP C Witter 26 Dec 2023
In reply to John Kelly:
Great days, indeed. Your alpine adventures are making me daydream... Hoping to visit the Monte Bianco plateau this summer...

Impressed and jealous you got out on Boxing Day, despite the clag I've had reported! I'm stuck in the flatlands visiting family, so no such luck.

OP C Witter 26 Dec 2023
In reply to Wally:

Glad you're getting out for some good adventures, Alistair, despite commitments. Hope your family are well

ChrisBrooke 27 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Although I almost exclusively boulder these days, my best day this year was a sport multi-pitch in Paklenica with the family. The kids are 6 and 8 and we weren’t completely sure how it would go. Although we regularly climb together on grit we’d not attempted something bigger before. 
We started to the sound of distant thunder but the forecast was good and we knew we could lower off if needs be….. After the first pitch the sun came out and stayed out and we had another few pitches of joyful, easy climbing. I led, had one child on a half and the other tied on above my wife on the other half. Being stood in the sun at belays, taking the ropes in as I could hear them all chatting and having fun below me, feeling ‘committed’ to a degree but in control, was just bliss. A proper family adventure in a beautiful  place. 
We had some more adventures that holiday, but that was my favourite. 

In reply to C Witter:

I like several different types of climbing so have a best day for each. I like doing new stuff so my list has a heavy bias towards days that include an FA, even if the route itself was not absolutely the best.

Bouldering:  a toss up between the days I managed Sterner (f6A) and Take a Complete Break (f5+) (obscure traverses on Halkyn Mountain

Sport: Probably doing Mike Bailey's Route (6b) at Creigiau Gigfran

Trad: Bridge Class (E1 5b) ( Carreg Fran Isaf)

Scrambling/Soloing: The Dubh Ridge (M)

If I had to pick one it would be The Dubh Ridge (M). It was particularly memorable because I did it via a boat from Elgol. The outward boat was a bit late and I was a bit slow on the route so I ended at at the top of the descent (An Caisteal) with well under 2 hours remaining before the last return boat was due to leave Coruisk. I dashed down without stopping to look at the time (knowing it wouldn't help) and fortunately made it with about 20 min to spare. Because of this excitement it just pips the previous day spent doing Blabheinn via Belig.

Post edited at 13:11
 McHeath 27 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

It wasn´t one climb or one day, it was five glorious days of perfect weather in the Elbsandstein with Tony and Sarah Whitehouse, early September. We´d made contact through UKC 4 years ago, they spend several months of each year there in an idyllic club hut and had invited me to come visit, and since then it´s been my most important yearly fixture. Usually I arrive and we have to wait a day for the rock to dry out, we climb on the second day, and then it rains again; not so this time. I led my hardest route there to date, a dicey rockover on the lip of a huge overhang protected by one 6mm knotted sling some 20m above the ground; I seconded an absolutely beautiful route a grade higher, and yet another a full grade higher. All in the most perfect imaginable autumn sunshine.

I´m  a birder; add to that my first ever sightings of Eagle Owl and Crossbill, some memorable discussions with the club president about legendary post-punk interpretations of anti-fascist songs by Brecht/Weill etc., mountains of curry every evening, and a huge stock of full beer crates in the storeroom ... forget Chamonix or Zermatt, it really was my best climbing holiday ever. Thanks to Tony and Sarah, and see you next year!

DizzyT 28 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

A most unprepossessing problem in my garage on Boxing Day. Context would help.

I drifted away from regular climbing 15 years ago, work and family taking over my spare time. What I missed most was the passion where you daydream of moves at the crag, pick up shopping bags with 1 finger and race out after work with a head torch to climb. To try and rekindle the flame I built a training board in my garage 5 years ago but barely used it. 

Two months ago something clicked. I was servicing the lawnmower and for some reason decided to put the shoes on, chalk up and climb. An hour later I couldn’t move my fingers but was hooked. I bought a load of new holds and started building projects. Training has moved on and I started using the Crimpd app (which is brilliant). One of my favourite problems was Powerband so I built a replica (easier) as a long term goal. When I first put it up I could only do one move. Well on Boxing Day I did it. It’s been decades since I last had that utter elation of completing a long sought target. Still buzzing (although wasn’t close when I tried again this morning).

Sherlock 28 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Catching the hold at the end of the hard climbing on my project the end of 2 month siege, a cold grey day  on a Greek island  then finding it wasn't over....

Watching Mrs.S absolutely float up her hardest problem in Sneznik, CZ.

Great days, great places reminding me that there are great days in the future as well as the past.

OP C Witter 28 Dec 2023
In reply to McHeath:

Wow! The birds and music chat sound as good as the climbing! You'll have to post some of the songs you were talking about.

One knot in a piece of 6mm cord... sounds like a solo, btw!

OP C Witter 28 Dec 2023
In reply to Sherlock:

> Great days, great places reminding me that there are great days in the future as well as the past.

Indeed. That's something to hold on to.

McHeath 28 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

It was mainly about the album „Entartete Musik“ by the Tote Hosen. No clips on YouTube, but there‘s a short documentary on the making of: 

https://youtu.be/fUdus91YPO4?si=QnMQRsb9GtVf98Z0

Breathtaking stuff.

Post edited at 10:56
 McHeath 28 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

> One knot in a piece of 6mm cord... sounds like a solo, btw!

Well, it was right by my waist at the start of the crux, and I would have backed off I hadn‘t discovered that there were friendly holds on the following slab, so not really dangerous, but still exciting enough

nniff 28 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

I first saw The Strand at Gogarth in 1981, maybe 1982.  For one reason or another, I've barely been back to Gogarth since, but I never forgot The Strand.  It was rather nice to lead it this summer and to find it as good as I'd hoped.  Very big smiles.

colegosney 28 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Loved reading this thread.

The snow day back in March was the stand out day of the year for me. A long walk in to Burbage from the cattle grid, taking our time watching the more suitable 4x4s pulling out the less suitable ones from the ditches. Once we got there we spent the day snowboarding (well... me trying to stand up after falling over in deep snow while a mate dropped in off 20 ft crack), jumping off the edges and messing about with the cornices. Then finished off with a big meal out. Just a proper nice day with great company where you know you'll remember it forever!

Climbing is amazing and the people I've met through it have helped me more than they can know

Gary Gibson 30 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter: Mine was the year before when I managed my 5000th new route and am now onto number 5000,550 before I back it in; not last year I know but it’s a lasting memory 

OP C Witter 30 Dec 2023
In reply to Gary Gibson:

I imagine! I doubt any of us are or will be as prolific! That's a memory to roll around your mouth and savour for a good while.

OP C Witter 30 Dec 2023
In reply to McHeath:

> Well, it was right by my waist at the start of the crux, and I would have backed off I hadn‘t discovered that there were friendly holds on the following slab, so not really dangerous, but still exciting enough

Gulp! I'm imagining committing, 20m up, to weighting and abseiling off a 6mm cord knot, jammed in a crack. I'll take your word for it! I guess it's a perspective thing! It's remarkable what the mind can learn to accept...

McHeath 30 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

No, I meant downclimbing, not abseiling/lowering from the thread! It really wasn’t that dramatic

Gary Gibson 31 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:as Buzzcocks say in their song Nostalgia it’s an age yet to come and one I cherish and I hope I have contributed something to uk climbing to be respected?

dominic o 31 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Rainy New Year's Eve in The Peak, and enjoying this communal retrospective - the perfect opportunity to look back on 2023. Didn't manage to narrow it down to a single day (sorry!), but here's half a dozen.

Best wishes to all UKCers for fun and safe adventuring in 2024!

Sankey 31 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Main highlight: onsighting Left Wall on a perfect June day. 

Also, the old man of hoy, and mont aiguille.

Other memorable climbs, the striking sandstone arete of Luftikus at berdorf, savage sunbird at Rhoscolyn, and scavenger at gogarth.

Big thanks to various partners from the derwent mountainering club for enabling my return to trad adventures like these over the last couple of years!

Sam Beaton 31 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

After being too busy for very much climbing for 15 years or so, 2022 and 2023 were when it all picked up again, thanks mainly to Lou and Alex. This culminated in a way in doing King Bee Crack (HVS 5a) on August bank holiday weekend this year.

I'd led it 25 years previously but didn't remember much. Even when I was leading low E numbers quite regularly back in the day they were mainly delicate, technical and/or short routes and routes like KBC weren't the kind of thing I did regularly or easily.

So I was really chuffed to find it relatively straightforward and very very enjoyable. I climbed it with Ed and Mark who I'd met a few times at the crag before but not actually climbed with. I was very relaxed in their company, it didn't feel like the first time I'd climbed with them, and I hope it won't be the last.

Happy New Year everyone!

simes303 01 Jan 2024
In reply to timparkin:

Awesome, well done for not doubting yourself.

Si.

Duncan Bourne 01 Jan 2024
In reply to C Witter:

best day out on Pan's Labrynth in Morocco. Fantastic all day routing

OP C Witter 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> as Buzzcocks say in their song Nostalgia it’s an age yet to come and one I cherish and I hope I have contributed something to uk climbing to be respected?

Without a doubt!

Cornish boy 01 Jan 2024
In reply to C Witter:

My most memorable day was at Bosigran with my daughter in August. We climbed Alison Rib then abseiled (her first time!) down Sea Gully before climbing Black Slab.

I don’t care about grades. It was lovely to climb arguably the two classic Diffs at Bosi with my daughter, who did really well seconding the routes and cleaning all but one piece of gear. It’s such a special place, we met some nice people out there and the weather was good too. 

I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread: Thanks for starting it! 

Gary Gibson 04 Jan 2024
In reply to C Witter:to talk or post about it is not my style as it’s in my memory bank’s although I do talk about it in my lectures as it’s a marker of my obsession and  I hope out of that, others gain benefit and my next objective is to finish off at Harpur Hill, new routes and improve belays with stainless maillons and ring bolts to maintain their durability and that’s it and  rebolt worn out gear with all stainless gear and then my Hilti drill will be donated to the Peak bolt fund and start using light weight bosh drill

ian caton 04 Jan 2024
In reply to C Witter:

I had a day in August in the pyrenees, a walk and scramble. I am 66, back at the car i thought that was the best day of my life. I still think so. 

johnlc 05 Jan 2024
In reply to C Witter:

A day in the Lakes with my son.  Scrambling and enjoying amazingly good conditions for February.  I enjoyed it so much I wrote about it:

https://alpkit.com/blogs/deeds/a-father-son-winter-scrambling-journey

My son and I also summited Mont Blanc this summer, 36 years after I summited it with my Dad.  As another poster here remarked, it is nice to pass the baton on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...