And... in climbing news from across the pond...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 C Witter 22 Oct 2023

Just sharing this news story here: https://www.climbing.com/news/portland-man-arrested-accused-of-planning-to-...

Difficult to begin to comprehend...

profitofdoom 22 Oct 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Only in America 

john arran 22 Oct 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Would be good to know what his gripe might have been, not that there's anything that could possibly justify it, but there must be some reason why he feels so strongly.

I remember climbing in the 80s in Wyoming, sometimes dressed in pink lycra shorts, and while I'm sure we were roundly ridiculed by hunters roaming the area in pickup trucks, I never felt like we were ever at risk of being shot!

rgold 22 Oct 2023
In reply to john arran:

The guy (or someone with the same name) is a registered user on Mountain Project, though he's never contributed anything there.

Years ago, drugstores in Wyoming had handguns in the case next to the antacid tablets.  A friend bought one for a lark in exactly that situation.  He happens to be an upstanding citizen, but it wouldn't have been any harder for a complete whacko to purchase the same weapon along with his Tylenol.

When it comes to ease of acquisition, it isn't a whole lot different today.

john arran 22 Oct 2023
In reply to rgold:

... whereas in France you need to go to a pharmacy and ask at the counter just to buy paracetomol.

On balance, I think I prefer the French approach!

Nic 22 Oct 2023
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Only in America 

Hmm, I could easily believe that was a headline from the Dorset Echo!

fmck 23 Oct 2023
In reply to C Witter:

I was once shot in the backside while climbing at a local quarry in the 80s. It was just an air gun. Thankfully they didn't have a "Berreta"

OP C Witter 23 Oct 2023
In reply to fmck:

Wow! An accident or deliberate?

Iamgregp 23 Oct 2023
In reply to fmck:

Hope you managed to turn the other cheek

Derry 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Nic:

I saw the headline, and living in Weymouth, didn't surprise me either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...