Sparrowhawk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Enjoying its brekkie on the back garden this morning.

They seem to be doing well, I've been seeing them more regularly near me.

Post edited at 07:57

Axel Smeets 27 Mar 2024
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I have an identical photo from a few days ago! Our resident garden blackbird was the victim

In reply to Axel Smeets:

> I have an identical photo from a few days ago! Our resident garden blackbird was the victim

Yes. We are one down now too.

magma 27 Mar 2024

the perils of attracting predators by feeding birds?..

do you have many sparrows where you are?

In reply to magma:

We seem to have sufficient sparrows to support this one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/colin_images/6695625711/

In reply to magma:

> the perils of attracting predators by feeding birds?..

> do you have many sparrows where you are?

Yes, quite a few. I used to feed the birds but my wife acquired us a cat last year so I've stopped.

storm-petrel 27 Mar 2024

Lovely (although that's perhaps not the right word!)

I always thought it was a great privilege to have Sparrowhawks in my garden when I lived in a house with extensive woodland behind it. They were very regular visitors but never had any long term impact on our garden bird population as there were always plenty of young birds ready to move into the territories left vacant by the Sprawk's activities.

Unfortunately, in recent years the population has been declining overall. By about 1995 it had recovered from the severe crash caused by the use of organochlorine pesticides in the 1950s and 1960s but the breeding population has since declined again by about 25% over the last ten years or so. The reasons for this are not yet clear although possibilities include a reduction in quality territories, and the disease trichomonosis which affects many small birds, particularly Greenfinches, and also Sparrowhawks themselves. Good hygiene at garden feeding stations is very important to help reduce transmission of this disease.

(Figures from British Trust for Ornithology website)

Lee Sheard 27 Mar 2024

Had this fellow visit me on the bridge a few years back. Northern North Sea. Quietly minding my own business on the helm when there was an almighty crash on the glare blinds on the forward windows, looked over the consol & there was this dazed sparrowhawk. Then noticed a small warbler hiding in the corner! 

I'm assuming the hawk chased ot into the bridge via rear door and thought the window was clear.. 

Managed to eventually get a towell over it and released apparently unharmed.

Feel privileged to get so close to a fine raptor 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...