Simple camera for a 9-year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kathrync 05 Dec 2023

Hi,

I would like to buy my nine-year old niece a camera for Christmas. She and I are diametric opposites - she loves fashion and has started making her own clothes, and she likes to do fashion shows where she gets her friends (and sometimes her protesting brothers) to model the clothes she makes and photographs them, currently using her Mum's phone.

I was thinking about buying her an instant camera, but I'm concerned that it would languish in a drawer because she won't be able to afford refills. They are not expensive for me, but they probably are for a 9-year old reliant on pocket money.

So, instead, I'm thinking about a simple digital camera. She's not really interested in the photography itself per se, so I'm just looking for something simple without too many complicated options. I have no idea what this market is like any more because like most people I just use my phone if it's not serious - does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a simple "grown up" camera, not a kid's camera.

Iamgregp 05 Dec 2023
In reply to kathrync:

I'm no photographer, but I have a mate who is and he used to take one of these on a night out https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Rechargeable-Compact-Teenagers-Students/dp...

He reckoned it's brilliant for what it is - simple point and shoot, easy to use and difficult to break.

john arran 05 Dec 2023
In reply to kathrync:

No actual suggestions I'm afraid, but have you thought about what she's going to do with the photos?

Does she have a tablet or anything else with a screen she can view them on, ideally something with fun photo apps. If so, you'll want to be able to transfer the photos instantly without needing to go hunting for a cable. Ideally they would sync automatically via wifi.

If she doesn't have a good screen option, maybe you should be looking for something with a decent sized built-in screen. Maybe with photo manipulation apps in camera?

Alternatively, your idea of an instant camera might not be such a bad one after all.

Jenny C 05 Dec 2023
In reply to kathrync:

I got a basic camera for my ninth birthday. Obviously film, and yes it's expensive when you're on pocket money! Still works, although it's obviously now obsolete.

I'm no expert on cameras but something with a few basic manual settings, that she can learn to use over time. Having a bespoke cameras is brilliant as they have a much nicer 'feel' than a phone.

What computer device does she use? Getting one with a compatible memory card would probably be helpful.

OP kathrync 06 Dec 2023
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks all,

She has a Galaxy tablet, which is quite locked down (limited internet access and no social media), but I'm sure her parents will let her put a photo editing app on it. Good call on making sure it's easy to transfer photos.

I was really looking for specific suggestions, so thanks to Iamgregp - that looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm after.

Jenny C, yes, I got a basic film camera for my 8th birthday. I loved it - one of the reasons I'm keen to get something for her. I was lucky because my Dad is a keen photographer and always had spare film kicking around, so I rarely had to pay for it.

Regarding the instant camera, refills for the system I am looking at are 14.99 for 20 prints - that's the cheaper end of the market. She gets £20 pocket money a month. I certainly wouldn't spend 3/4 of my monthly salary on film, so I'm not sure it's realistic to expect her to do the same!

TobyA 06 Dec 2023
In reply to kathrync:

Do you or anyone else in the family have an older but still working phone? With phone cameras being better than most compact actual cameras now (or at least until you are paying LOTS of money for a camera) its probably the most cost effective way. And of course it will have a decent screen on it to view and play with the pics. With no SIM card in, she won't be able to use it as a phone, but she would be able to connect up to wifi for her to share her photos with friends - with parental supervision and so on.

This is all based on the idea that her parents don't want her to have an actual phone yet. 

Max factor 06 Dec 2023
In reply to TobyA:

First thing that crossed my mind too Toby. Although as I have found out passing on an old phone is a slippery slope towards wanting  one with a SIM card and social media with freinds sooner than you might like! 

OP kathrync 06 Dec 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks.

Yeah, her parents don't want her to have an actual phone yet.

Her Mum is quite keen not to encourage her somewhat ardent desire for a phone (she might be nine, but she's definitely going on 14!) and would prefer that I don't give her an old SIM-less phone, although that had crossed my mind too!

That was one of my reasons for considering instant cameras initially - it's more deliberately lo-fi!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...