Wilko Johnson RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert-hutton 23 Nov 2022

Another great gone,  sad news

graeme jackson 23 Nov 2022
In reply to robert-hutton:

Such a shame.  Brilliant guitarist and astronomer to boot.  I recall in the feelgood documentary he'd built an observatory in the roof.  last saw him in Glasgow in the company of Dylan Howe and Norman Wattroy supporting the Quo.  I enjoyed Wilco's set a lot more.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63728503

Pedro50 23 Nov 2022

Shame, I was lucky to see him at the Rory Gallagher festival at Ballyshannon about 5 years ago. Unforgettable.

Dave Garnett 23 Nov 2022

A genuine hero.  His occasional online tutorials on how to play rhythm and lead at the same time are hilarious... and astonishing.

Classic no-nonsense answers too-

'What pedals do you use?'

'Pedals? Pedals?  I'm a guitarist not a f***in g cyclist!'

deepsoup 23 Nov 2022

Best part of a decade of extra time though, following his erroneous (as it turned out) diagnosis of inoperable terminal cancer back at the end of 2012. 

It's well worth listening to this remarkable interview again.  (Especially from 7:50 onwards, as he talks about what he believed at the time was his imminent death.)  What a guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZH-oENTbgUI&

Harry Jarvis 23 Nov 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Very sad news. 

Also worth watching is Julian Temple's 2015 documentary:

youtube.com/watch?v=zLLPsGoBtF8&

65 23 Nov 2022

Such a character, seemed like a great guy too. I remember how joyful I was when he beat cancer all those years ago, and I’m not even particularly enthusiastic about Dr Feelgood. Only saw them once, sans Wilko sadly. 
RIP, marvellous innit.

Jim Lancs 23 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

Saw him at the Brewery in Kendal playing with The Hamsters on their 'Mad, the Bad and the Dangerous' tour. What an evening!

felt 23 Nov 2022

Wilko was a cult figure at my school in the 1970s. Just post-Feelgood, he'd formed the Solid Senders. 'Walking on the Edge' was THE song to know on the guitar, and you had to mimic that manic robotic strumming and the machine gunning thing he did.

youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZZKYQFklU&

profitofdoom 23 Nov 2022

I saw him live, in Dr Feelgood, in a really small venue (just a tiny hall. we all stood on the flat floor) in the 1970s. He looked completely bonkers, dancing around the stage, swerving and jerking and jumping everywhere, flinging lit cigarettes to the side (not near anyone) and looking genuinely crazy. But he wasn't crazy at all. He was playing really well and perfectly in the performance. It was mesmerizing and I'll never forget it

RIP, what a talent.

Post edited at 16:24
 nniff 23 Nov 2022
In reply to profitofdoom:

Dr Feelgood was very much a part of my school days too. One of the school bands was called 'The Big Figure' after John Martin

Still on my playlist regularly - Malpractice is one of my favorite albums: 'Going Back Home' has such great lyrics (this from a confirmed non-listener to lyrics).

Wimlands 23 Nov 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Many thanks for that. Genuinely was a remarkable interview…

kathrync 23 Nov 2022

Awww. I never saw him, but Dr. Feelgood is one of Dad's favourites and often played at home when I was a kid. Definitely one of a kind.

Slightly disturbed by how many people at work only know him from Game of Thrones  

toad 23 Nov 2022

Last saw him in May at Bearded Theory. Blistering set.  How I will remember him.

Pedals? Pedals are for bicycles!

deepsoup 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> Also worth watching is Julian Temple's 2015 documentary:
> youtube.com/watch?v=zLLPsGoBtF8&

Wow.  Somehow I had never seen that.  I've just watched it now and it feels like an hour and a half extremely well spent!  Thank you.

abr1966 23 Nov 2022

Great show on Sky Arts channel at the moment!

65 23 Nov 2022
In reply to abr1966:

This was one of my favourite clips.

youtube.com/watch?v=wMlhWvIh7U4&

Maggot 24 Nov 2022

I like the way he turned his name around, and his guitar playing🙂

aln 24 Nov 2022

This is great  youtube.com/watch?v=iHm7uIC84YM&

Siward 24 Nov 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

> Best part of a decade of extra time though, following his erroneous (as it turned out) diagnosis of inoperable terminal cancer back at the end of 2012. 

> It's well worth listening to this remarkable interview again.  (Especially from 7:50 onwards, as he talks about what he believed at the time was his imminent death.)  What a guy.

I remember listening to that at the time. An inspiration, such a great attitude. I was so glad when, after all, he recovered. 

In reply to graeme jackson:

> I recall in the feelgood documentary he'd built an observatory in the roof. 

'Oil City Confidential'? I remember really enjoying that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...