Where have all the mung beans gone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 20 Mar 2024

We have a recipe for a dish involving mung beans and carrots which we've enjoyed a few times in the past. Having a yen to eat it again I set out to buy some more mung beans - but they seem to have disappeared! I couldn't find them at Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons or Waitrose which are our four nearest supermarkets. (Morrisons' app suggests that they do stock them, but they weren't in either of the two branches I tried.)

I'm going to keep on searching but it does strike me as odd that a product which was readily available last time I wanted it seems now to have become rare to completely unavailable.

Is there any explanation for this other than just the general enshittification of everything?

Lankyman 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Martin W:

Mungs seem to have fallen out of fashion. It's like they've become has beans.

wintertree 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Martin W:

They’re probably taking the long way round Africa; the Houthi backed attacks on shipping in the Red Sea are having a massive effect on usage of the Suez Canal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-17/suez-canal-traffic-drops...

Lankyman 20 Mar 2024
In reply to wintertree:

You've obviously got your finger on the pulse of Middle Eastern politics

In reply to wintertree:

Might that explain why coffee seems to be a bit scarce? None of the big name supermarkets near me have had house brand decaff for months.

In reply to Lankyman:

Op probably didn't know this as he hasn't got his finger on the pulses. 

wintertree 20 Mar 2024
In reply to captain paranoia:

It’s got to be contributing to it.  Bananas too…

The Red Sea situation baffles me.  A fleet of western ships are regularly firing interceptors at UAVs and ballistic missiles out of Yemen, supplied by Iran, all whilst a really obvious Iranian vessel sucks down every last piece of elint on the western radars and weapons systems, no doubt sold straight to China.  Meanwhile enough missiles and drones get through to cargo vessels that the Suez Canal is being all but abandoned.

There’s been one instance of a high speed missile making it within CIWS range of a western ship before being destroyed. Attacks on Houthi facilities in Yemen don’t seem to have altered the situation, and there’s a feeling escalation is but one interceptor miss away.

Lankyman 20 Mar 2024
In reply to wintertree:

> and there’s a feeling escalation is but one interceptor miss away.

Will there ever be peas in the region?

Bottom Clinger 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> Will there ever be peas in the region?

The vote on peas will most likely be a split decision. 

Bottom Clinger 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> Mungs seem to have fallen out of fashion. It's like they've become has beans.

The biggest ‘has bean’ created through this right royal mess is Prince Haricot.  

Lankyman 21 Mar 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> The biggest ‘has bean’ created through this right royal mess is Prince Haricot.  

He should never have done a runner to the States

petemeads 21 Mar 2024
In reply to Martin W:

Adzuki beans disappeared over a year ago from Tesco and Sainsbury's, Red Dragon pie was one of our regular meals but is now just a distant memory...

jimtitt 21 Mar 2024
In reply to Martin W:

Surely the new dynamic and flexible UK farming industry has grasped the opportunity and is growing them instead of being forced to import them by the EU overlords?

Lankyman 21 Mar 2024
In reply to jimtitt:

Be serious and do me a fava - don't bring Brexit into this

Blue Straggler 21 Mar 2024
In reply to Martin W:

Where have all the mung beans gone?
Long time passing wind

OP Martin W 22 Mar 2024

Just a quick update to say that I did eventually find mung beans at a slightly-less-local-than-the-aforementioned-supermarkets asian supermarket.  And at a sensible enough price, too.

While paying for them I inadvertently rested my elbow on a rather rickety display rack which nearly fell over.  As the lassie behind the counter warned me: "You cannellini there".

Blue Straggler 22 Mar 2024
In reply to Martin W:

>

> While paying for them I inadvertently rested my elbow on a rather rickety display rack which nearly fell over.  As the lassie behind the counter warned me: "You cannellini there".

Broad humour

Lankyman 22 Mar 2024
In reply to Martin W:

> As the lassie behind the counter warned me: "You cannellini there".

Who does she think she is? Mung the Merciless?

In reply to captain paranoia:

> Might that explain why coffee seems to be a bit scarce?

Just googled Saino's version; seems to be available online.

Which suggests it's a stocking policy change in my local branches (neither of which a huge). Like the mung beans.

Which reminds me...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...