whatsapp group member identity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 09 Dec 2019

Currently suffering frustration with whatsapp groups created for climbers.

So I get a message : '0567895623 wants to get out tomorrow because the weather looks good' . Ideally this person would have a profile I could look up somewhere - are they M/F, what age, what level/sort of climbing, etc - just like a UKC profile  

But no, unless that member is already in your own contacts list you may not even have a *name* by which to attempt recognition. Does anyone know how, as group administrator - to create identity to members as they are added ??

DancingOnRock 09 Dec 2019
In reply to LeeWood:

Normally find out who they are. Message them. Then add them to your contacts. 

although I’d check what 05678 code is first. 

Post edited at 12:40
In reply to LeeWood:

056 is VOiP number. Check your tarrif.

Dax H 09 Dec 2019
In reply to LeeWood:

Set your group to only allow you to add people, anyone else wants to add someone they have to send you the details. 

Doesn't help with people already there though. 

timjones 09 Dec 2019
In reply to LeeWood:

I thought that whatsapp was all about communication, why don't you ask them?

OP LeeWood 09 Dec 2019
In reply to timjones:

I believe you've answered a different question there but thanks anyay.

It would be so much better if people could be named up front.

In reply to LeeWood:

As I say. Looks like it’s a VOiP reserved number so the sender is probably using a virtual phone number from work. Reply to the group and ask them to reply in turn with their names. I don’t know whether messaging that number directly will get through to that person, or if they’re using a single number for multiple users (if that’s possible) I don’t fully know. You could try messaging them separately. 

as WhatsApp is VOiP charged won’t apply. 

Post edited at 21:39
OP LeeWood 09 Dec 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

>  Looks like it’s a VOiP reserved number

Sorry - this number is random & hypothetical ! a bad choice to illustrate a generic problem ( - tho it would actually be a normal domestic number here in France )

In reply to LeeWood:

From the FAQ.

Not seeing someone's profile information

The privacy settings allow you to hide your last seen, profile photo, about, status, or read receipts. You may not be able to see someone else's information because of how they have set their privacy settings.

If you can't see someone else's last seen, profile photo, about, status, or read receipts, it may be due to one of the following:

Your contact has changed their privacy settings to "Nobody".

You have changed your last seen privacy settings to "Nobody".

Your contact has changed their privacy settings to "My Contacts", and you are not saved as a contact in their phone.

You are blocked by this contact.

There might be a connection problem.

Your contact hasn't set a profile photo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...