Voting stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Voted last week by postal vote.

None of this running around last minute affair reading the tabloids for who to give my vote to.

I see the papers are all at it this morning.

I've been amazed by the amount of pamphlets I've received in the last 4 day.  Crazy waste of money on their parts.

TWS

Post edited at 08:22
 summo 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

As the saying goes... vote early vote often. 

Bob Kemp 12 Dec 2019

If anyone is having problems making their mind up, the fact checks of the different parties on the Full Fact website may be useful:

https://fullfact.org/election-2019/

They also have a page of procedural and legal info about voting here:

https://fullfact.org/election-2019/election-questions-answered/

oldie 12 Dec 2019

Downsides to postal vote are that it can be overseen and thus influenced or posted (or not) by others (as proxy votes of course). Also its not quite on the same basis as election day voting.....the vote might be sent in well before important facts emerge in the runup to polling day.

I'm not against postal votes at all: probably more people will vote because of them, and they are a necessity for those absent from their constituency or housebound, but there are disadvantages.

summo 12 Dec 2019
In reply to oldie:

In sweden you can vote in person for nearly a week(as well as postal). Different places open at different times, most days, up until polls close. So folk don't have to go out of their way to vote, you'd need a really good excuse not to, although some still don't bother. The downside to this could be multiple voting but the id card system helps avoid it. Plus elections are some what less brutal a procedure than the UK in terms of both the press and individual politicians activities. 

In reply to oldie:

> Downsides to postal vote are that it can be overseen and thus influenced or posted (or not) by others (as proxy votes of course). Also its not quite on the same basis as election day voting.....the vote might be sent in well before important facts emerge in the runup to polling day.

Well I voted on the manifestos and not on personality so that doesn't really make much difference. 

None of the leaders give me much enthusiasm themselves some more than others.

oldie 12 Dec 2019

Obviously the postal vote works fine for you and it is a valuable part of the system. I'm just pointing out that there are downsides to the postal vote, including potential abuse.

skog 12 Dec 2019

Having had the postal vote for years, when we moved house last year I decided it'd be good to go back to voting at the polling station.

I managed this precisely once, before they threatened to call a general election during the school October break this autumn, when we were going to be away on Lewis, so I reapplied for a postal vote.

Of course, that election didn't happen, but I can't be bothered changing back to voting in person again. :-/

Considering how vocal I've been, I'm seriously considering abstaining at the last minute.

It all comes down to this, for me... What's worse? A hung parliament or a supercharged Conservative majority?

mullermn 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> It all comes down to this, for me... What's worse? A hung parliament or a supercharged Conservative majority?

Is there any debate there? The only good outcome out of this election would be a labour government strong enough to exist but weak enough to not be able to wipe its own backside without support from SNP/LD/etc. 

wercat 12 Dec 2019

> Considering how vocal I've been, I'm seriously considering abstaining at the last minute.

> It all comes down to this, for me... What's worse? A hung parliament or a supercharged Conservative majority?

Probably a supercharged hung conservative

In reply to wercat:

> Probably a supercharged hung conservative

With an orange in his stocking?

It is Christmas

gravy 12 Dec 2019

Don't abstain - spoil your ballot paper - have your disdain counted.  Just be careful to spoil it properly, IIRC someone got in because a ballot paper with a cock+balls motif drawn against their name was counted (if there was any mark in any other box it would have been spoiled).

mullermn 12 Dec 2019
In reply to gravy:

> Don't abstain - spoil your ballot paper - have your disdain counted.  Just be careful to spoil it properly, IIRC someone got in because a ballot paper with a cock+balls motif drawn against their name was counted (if there was any mark in any other box it would have been spoiled).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32658907/election-2015-mp-thanks-vote...

In reply to gravy:

> Don't abstain - spoil your ballot paper - have your disdain counted.  Just be careful to spoil it properly, IIRC someone got in because a ballot paper with a cock+balls motif drawn against their name was counted (if there was any mark in any other box it would have been spoiled).

Is there a disdain party ?

Seams a totally wasted vote personally for such an important subject.  They won't take the blindest bit of notice .

Politics is far from perfect but it's about weighing up the lesser of all evils .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...