UK’s biggest rockfall for sixty years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Kemp 15 Apr 2021

On Dorset’s Jurassic coast. It does look massive: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/15/jurassic-coast-cliff-co...
I wondered what the one 60 years ago was. Anybody know?

In reply to Bob Kemp:

That part of the coast is always falling down. Burton Bradstock has had big falls in recent years. The recent Seatown one is in an area where you can still see the remains of previous falls; see the drone footage on the BBC, or look at a map to see the obvious signs of previous cliff slumps, leading to a tiered coastal margin.

Not sure where the '60 years ago' fall would have been.

Le Sapeur 15 Apr 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Not sure where the '60 years ago' fall would have been.

Seems the quote is from a man who has lived there for 60 years and it's the biggest he's seen. 

Bobling 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

My first thought - oooh bet there's lots of luverly fossils in them thair (fallen down) cliffs.  

What have I become?

In reply to Bobling:

> My first thought - oooh bet there's lots of luverly fossils in them thair (fallen down) cliffs.  

> What have I become?

Interested in things other than climbing!

Philip 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Bobling:

I thought the same

ThunderCat 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Bobling:

> My first thought - oooh bet there's lots of luverly fossils in them thair (fallen down) cliffs.  

> What have I become?

That was my immediate thought too!

Wainers44 15 Apr 2021

The recent Seatown one is in an area where you can still see the remains of previous falls.

Pah Seatown.  Gets what it deserves.  First place after I was 18 that I couldn't get served in a pub. Walking the coast path, had no ID.

That was 40 years ago....OK I may hold grudges too long....

In reply to Bobling:

IIRC, someone was killed by a follow-up fall whilst fossil hunting the last big one at Burton Bradstock.

I'd say 'take a helmet', but I fear they're not really up to the job of protecting you from a cliff landing on you...

freeflyer 15 Apr 2021

> take a helmet ...

This is possibly post of the week

In reply to freeflyer:

Well, to be fair, there will be a lot of smaller stuff coming down, too, so a helmet would be a good idea...

It's hard to see anything falling on to the debris, since there isn't really anything above it. Still, if you take a helmet at least you'll have something to put anything you find it.

jcm

What is the country's biggest ever rockfall anyway, I wonder?

jcm

Post edited at 00:35
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> It's hard to see anything falling on to the debris,

Are you okay, John? Some of your recent posts seem... odd.

The cliff face is still there. Where there has been a large separation like this, there is a lot of loose stuff on the face, and that continues to fall for some time after the main fall. Not to mention the unstable debris fan.

Post edited at 01:00
 d_b 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Fancy doing some new routing once we have been chipped?

Guaranteed adventure choss fun.

Bobling 16 Apr 2021
In reply to d_b:

Hey chap, hope you and the family are all good.

So many triggering words in that post haha!  But yeah would be good to get out on something not new routing, or adventure, or choss, or chipped : ) 

d_b 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Still a bit twitchy after Gurgle Girdle?

Bobling 19 Apr 2021
In reply to d_b:

Did you see how much I climbed last year?  Put me off for life haha!

Baron Weasel 22 Apr 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Apparently the maps from Hoy a couple of hundred years ago showed a headland where the old man is now. That must have been quite a rock fall!

Phil79 23 Apr 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> I wondered what the one 60 years ago was. Anybody know?

Obviously that whole section of coast is prone to landslides due to geological setting.

Largest one that I'm aware of is the famous Binden Landslide of Christmas Eve 1839, located between Seaton and Lyme Regis (so to the west of the one linked above).

A section of cliff approximately a mile long and half a mile wide (around 50 acres in area) slide into the sea, and heaved the seabed on the foreshore some 40ft upwards. Also created 'Goat Island' in the middle of the slip, where ground surface had been forced upwards and is relatively flat.

Its probably one of the earliest landslides that was properly studied by geologist (or at least widely written about at the time) and has been looked at numerous times since to determine why/how it happened.  

IIRC, geologically theres a 'angular unconformity' (a previous erosion surface) with a clay layer sat immediately above it, which is in turn overlain by sandstones/limestones, and the whole lot tends to slip along the unconformity, the clay lubricated by percolating groundwater. However, it appears to be very complicated when you get down to the details, and not fully understood even today.

Great video here pulling together what may have happened (if you're interested in the detail, it is very geeky and geology heavy!).

https://www.fossilfestival.co.uk/aiovg_videos/the-great-bindon-landslip-fin...

OP Bob Kemp 23 Apr 2021
In reply to Phil79:

Thanks - that's a very enjoyable presentation. I watched far more than I intended, although I did skip a few of the more complex sections!

If anyone has any further interest in landslides I was rummaging around the internet and found that the British Geological Survey has a set of case studies that are worth exploring: 

https://www.bgs.ac.uk/geology-projects/landslides/landslide-case-studies/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...