UK to Germany Travel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 25 May 2020

I’m assuming that the answer is “don’t know” or “it’s not possible yet” but I wanted to ask if anyone knew of whether travel was at all possible, or what plans are in place currently to reduce restrictions for travel in the coming months. 

It is for someone who would like to visit their father, who resides in Leipzig, Germany, for a serious non-coronavirus illness which may mean this is their last chance to see them.

Under the current climate I assume that this is classed as non-essential which means that it wouldn’t be possible today. 

From what I can see (based on people I know who have travelled) is that you can currently travel (at least to NL & Belgium), fairly unrestricted, for work where necessary. But from a tourism perspective it’s off-limits currently. Some articles suggest that the Belgium is looking to allow international tourism from 15 June. On the same day, Germany is looking to open borders with Switzerland, France & Austria, but Belgium wasn’t mentioned.

As we continue to look into whether anything is possible, or might be possible in the coming weeks/month, I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has any understanding of the situation. Given many people in the UK alone aren’t able to visit dying relatives I’m not expecting this to be allowed, but if it would be at all possible then I’d be gutted if I didn’t at least ask.

marsbar 25 May 2020
In reply to James Malloch:

I'm sure visiting a dying relative wouldn't be considered tourism.  Beyond that I'm not certain.  I hope it is possible.  

OP James Malloch 25 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Certainly not tourism, but my assumption was that kind of cross-border travel would only be allowed once some form of tourism was operating again. Hopefully I’m wrong.

We did find that it was allowed to enter for the death of an immediate relative, but it didn’t mention anything about ill relatives

Post edited at 19:53
 marsbar 25 May 2020

Some information here.  It appears that visiting family is considered different to tourism.  However you may have to quarantine.

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavi...

OP James Malloch 25 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

We hadn’t come across that website - thank you. It makes it sound like you can go, but you have to convince the border official...

> First entry by third-country nationals for the purpose of joining one’s family is NOT permitted unless there is a compelling reason for entry.

> Travellers are asked to provide suitable proof of a compelling reason to cross the border. The decision whether to allow entry at the border is at the discretion of the border official.

Post edited at 20:05
 marsbar 25 May 2020

I could be wrong but check on the meaning of third country I'm not sure if it is to do with Brexit.  

DD72 25 May 2020

We have just driven from Berlin to Stuttgart without any problems, saw plenty of foreign cars on the road, and with the neighboring state to the one Leipzig is in talking about ending all controls I can't see you having a problem once you get here. I recently got an email from Stenna Lines saying they are running as normal so of you planned to drive via Holland the only countries where I couldn't comment on the difficulty you might face are there and of course the UK.

Brev 25 May 2020

The term 'third-country national' usually refers to non-EU citizens. For all intents and purposes, UK citizens count as EU citizens until the end of this year, and are therefore not 3rd country citizens.

From the link marsbar posted: "Travellers with valid grounds are permitted to cross the EU’s internal borders regardless of their nationality. Some personal and family-related reasons for travel are recognized as valid. Travellers can be permitted to cross borders to visit their partners or families, receive medical treatment, attend educational and training institutions that require in-person attendance, or attend important family events." 

I think this means you/the person you're asking this for can travel, but you can always try contact the British Embassy in Germany for confirmation. Do check the quarantine rules as well. And be aware that your travel insurance might not be valid either. 

HansStuttgart 25 May 2020

To travel into Germany as a non German citizen you need a valid reason.

According to the police website valid reasons are amongst others:

Familiäre Gründe

Besuch des Ehegatten, Lebenspartners, Lebensgefährten

Besuch von Verwandten; insbesondere Kinder, Enkel, Eltern, Großeltern, Geschwister, Tanten, Onkel, Cousins und Cousinen

Sorgerechts- und Umgangsangelegenheiten zur Betreuung von minderjährigen Kindern, dies beinhaltet auch das gegenseitige Besuchen oder Abholen

Teilnahme an wichtigen familiären Anlässen, wie Hochzeiten, Begräbnisse, religiöse Feiern, auch für andere Personen als Familienangehörige

https://www.bundespolizei.de/Web/DE/04Aktuelles/01Meldungen/2020/03/200317_...

So visiting a father is OK.

The quarantines are over since last weekend for EU citizens (inc UK):

"The federal and state governments have agreed that all persons entering Germany from third countries are required to remain in self-quarantine for two weeks. Third countries are countries outside the European Union (EU). Persons travelling from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are exempt from this requirement, as are persons travelling from EU countries."

and

"Persons travelling from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland or the UK can be ordered into quarantine if over the last seven days the number of new infections in the respective country amounted to more than 50 per 100,000 inhabitants. Please consult the website of the Robert-Koch-Institut to find out which European countries are affected."

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavi...

So should be fine as well, as long as the situation does not deteriate massively in the UK.

OP James Malloch 26 May 2020
In reply to HansStuttgart:

Thank you for this - the Bundes Polizei website indeed suggests a visit would be find under these circumstances. I might call the UK Embassy in Berlin to check a few extra details as well.

It’s not my father, but my partner’s step-father. She, and his daughter, would like to visit. I would need to check if I were allowed to accompany them as they aren’t my family in law at the moment.

Ideally we would drive, via the Netherlands or Belgium, to try and reduce the risk of contracting COVID via an airport/airplane. We’re happy to sleep in the car and only emerge for fuel. But we would have to check the routes in/out of those countries also. 

It’s a stressful time for them so hopefully a visit can be arranged. Many thanks for all the links and help. It’s very much appreciated!

oldie 26 May 2020

A friend went to Germany a couple of weeks back to be with their sibling who had cancer and died after they arrived. They are still there. I don't any details of the method of travel or legalities.

Post edited at 10:50
 HansStuttgart 26 May 2020

> Thank you for this - the Bundes Polizei website indeed suggests a visit would be find under these circumstances. I might call the UK Embassy in Berlin to check a few extra details as well.

> It’s not my father, but my partner’s step-father. She, and his daughter, would like to visit. I would need to check if I were allowed to accompany them as they aren’t my family in law at the moment.

> Ideally we would drive, via the Netherlands or Belgium, to try and reduce the risk of contracting COVID via an airport/airplane. We’re happy to sleep in the car and only emerge for fuel. But we would have to check the routes in/out of those countries also. 

Driving should be fine. The only issue to check is whether 3 persons in a car is OK or not. They way I interpret the rules is that it is fine if 2 out of 3 are a shared household and not fine when not. (because there is a rule that gatherings larger than 2p are forbidden but there is an exception that two households can be together).

In NL the vacation homes and hotels have reopened. n Germany this depends on the Bundesland. Campsite are tricky, the current situation is that they are open for caravans but not for tents (because the toilet buildings are closed) Some hotels and holiday homes are open. Checking options on booking.com should clear that out.

Fuel stations are open including cafetarias, restaurants etc.

Getting into the Netherlands is OK as long as the three of you are EU/UK/Norway etc citizens. Basically if you find a plane or a boat to take you there, it should be ok.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...