This mornings butterflies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 27 Jul 2022

Red Admiral and gatekeeper

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Green veined white I think. 

A skipper from yesterday evening. 

BusyLizzie 27 Jul 2022

Thank you, those are so nice. I am pleased to be reminded that that first one is a Red Admiral, I was trying to remember it the other day.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

Holly Blue at my work this avo. Few years ago I lobbed a packet of wild flowers seeds into a few rubbishy raised beds. Insects galore now. The wild marjoram is a big favourite, especially for bees and this butterfly. 

Nice photos as usual.

Any idea what this one could be? Only managed a quick photo before it was flew off.

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Meadow brown. Quite hard to photo - flighty things. Gatekeeper are similar but smaller with more orange and more patterned underwings. 

Thanks.

Tringa 27 Jul 2022

Good shots, as always, BC.

Also encouraging to see there are some still around. It might be a local thing around my way, or due to the heat(which has thankfully eased in the last few days) in the SE but on my 10 mile walk a couple of days ago over short grass, rough grass, areas with scrub, woodland and a path by a river I saw only 5 butterflies!

Dave

In reply to Tringa:

I’m hearing lots of people say ‘far fewer this year’. I’m seeing less in my garden, but reasonable numbers in the weedy paths and hedgerows. 

Ed; as an example, I go down a 50 metre path with a ditch on one side and a bank on the other. Estimate 15 white butterflies, 20 gatekeepers, 6 meadow browns and few oddments. 

Post edited at 20:11
 BusyLizzie 27 Jul 2022

Last week on holiday in Cornwall we saw a black and red thingy, like a butterfly but the body seemed too big for the wings, lots of them in a meadow beside the towpath. Smaller than a large butterfly. Any ideas? Sorry that's a rubbish description.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

Largish body and black and red is ample description:

Probably cinnabar moth 

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/cinnabar

Possibly Burnett moth

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/six-spot-burnet

BusyLizzie 28 Jul 2022

Thank you! Burnett moth it was, from the body shape. There were so many of them, it was amazing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...