The power of smell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 24 Sep 2020

Anyone still wondering if dogs are better than cats?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/24/close-to-100-accuracy-airport...

marsbar 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Dogs are amazing.  But you knew that already.

girlymonkey 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Fab, covid procedures for our group canicross runs sorted then! Now, how to get the dogs trained up for it?! Lol

Dax H 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

That is excellent, I would rather they test outgoing people too though. 

dread-i 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

>After collecting their luggage, arriving international passengers are asked to dab their necks with a wipe. In a separate booth, the jar containing the wipe is then placed next to others containing different scents, and the dog starts sniffing.

I've been swabbed at airports. They wipe your bags and put it in a machine, which looks for traces of drugs or explosives. There are also 'puffer' machines. They make you stand in a closed chamber and blow puffs of air at you. The air is sampled and chemicals can be identified. I wonder if a software update can make these machines spot diseases?

Lankyman 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

> Anyone still wondering if dogs are better than cats?

Amateurs. My cats could tell if I was opening a packet of butter from the bottom of the garden.

wercat 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

well they are more biddable

NorthernGrit 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Cats can smell the virus too. They just don't care if you live or die.

Rog Wilko 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Totally off the point, I know, but when I saw the word smell in the title I remembered the story about Webster the lexicographer. When accused by someone (his wife?) thus " Oh Webster, you do smell", like any good pedant would, he replied "No you smell, I stink". 

nniff 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Smell is a very powerful sense, especially when triggering a response.  To this end, they experimented with using smell as a warning in fast jets - a strong smell of pear drops, for example, would mean 'pull up'.  Trouble was, if you had a bit of a sniffle, you flew into the hillside.....

wilkie14c 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

My dog can smell a packet of crisps when next door but one open them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...