Stunning morning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 09 Feb 2021

Bright, crisp - perfect.  Plenty redwings, roe deer.

In reply to mick taylor:

Also been out for a stroll and your post made me think of Pure Morning by Placebo - a rousing anthem with what I'd describe as almost Celtic riffs!

Flinticus 09 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Pollok Park around  8am.

Today I had my first Robin feeding from my hand. Got some of it on phone video.

kathrync 09 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> Today I had my first Robin feeding from my hand. 

It's amazing when they do that, isn't it? 

mick taylor 09 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> Pollok Park around  8am.

> Today I had my first Robin feeding from my hand. Got some of it on phone video.

Brilliant. I knows it been an aim of yours - well done. Mealworms?

mick taylor 09 Feb 2021
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Check out my Evil Sky photo if you havent done so already. That was atmospheric on steroids. 

Flinticus 09 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

No. A new location where I've been scattering feed but never hand fed and a different robin. Just a confident one?

Post edited at 13:17
 Flinticus 10 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Got a photo this morning.

NorthernGrit 10 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Its nicer in Wigan than I remember

Mike Stretford 10 Feb 2021
In reply to NorthernGrit: Always a compact town with nice countryside around it, even nicer now former mining land has greened over.

mick taylor 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> Always a compact town with nice countryside around it, even nicer now former mining land has greened over.

Exactly. When I worked for the council a regeneration officer took two folk from central government up in a helicopter to look at plans for roads etc and they couldn’t believe how green and open. The flashes are huge, linked by canals, one of which branches through Haigh Hall. River Douglas bow has loads of fish. The reed bed near Scotsman’s Flash is the biggest outside of Leighton Moss I think. Bitterns will breed one day - perhaps need more eels?  Pennington Flash (where I grew up) is amazing for wildlife. 

Saw a stack of roe deer this morning near to ex mines. And a near head on collision with a female Sparrowhawk - so close it freaked my wife out - no social distancing with these blooming raptors !  

Flinticus 10 Feb 2021

In reply to geode:

Yeah, their favourite along with peanut pieces

In reply to mick taylor:

Great dog walk this morning before WFH

RX-78 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

That's just one of those fake ones you can get as a Christmas decoration.

Andy DB 10 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Lovely in Durham this morning 

In reply to Flinticus:

> Pollok Park around  8am.

> Today I had my first Robin feeding from my hand. Got some of it on phone video.

I've noticed that the Robins in my garden have developed the skills to take nuts from the nut feeder. Needs must I suppose.

Doug 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Deleated bagger:

We had a Robin that learnt that if s/he flew at a hanging fat ball, some seeds/nuts would fall out & drop to the ground. Amusing to watch.

Locally we seem to have a lot of Redwings & Siskins at the moment which I'd never seen in our garden before now, maybe due to the long snowy period - we've had snow more or less non-stop since mid December.

Flinticus 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Deleated bagger:

In which case consider breaking up the nuts as small birds, especially their young, can choke on whole peanuts.

I've swtiched to kibbled / crushed penuts now as the breeding season gets underway

squarepeg 11 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

In last week seen two deer round local golf course (2nd time ever) two long tailed tits and a kingfisher for the first time ever here.

Not seen the egret again. 

mick taylor 11 Feb 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

Good sightings. If the ground is frozen the egret may have moved on 

This morning was Baltic. 21 deer. 

Post edited at 12:00
mick taylor 11 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Couple of roe bucks. 

mick taylor 11 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

> Couple of roe bucks. 

Some of this years adults. 

mick taylor 11 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Buzzard from yesterday evening as light was fading. 

Sean Kelly 11 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Spooked a badger on last night's dog-walk. Perhaps only 3/4 metres away, but he certainly put a spurt on when he saw my springer straining on the lead!

Flinticus 12 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Sunrise this morning. A Bob Ross sky.

squarepeg 12 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Just seen the kingfisher again. 

Dax H 12 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Sunrise over the sewage works in Dewsbury. 

Dave the Rave 12 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

No pics sorry, but if you can imagine the sky over northeast Wales this morning looking east to Cheshire , then it was a bank of ? Altostratus, glowing fire red interspersed with bright blue sky. Stunning.

mick taylor 12 Feb 2021
In reply to Dax H:

Nice. We had similar but was still in bed. Anyway, when I got up and went out I saw, for the first time in ages, a weasel !  I was still sorting my camera out when it appeared.. 

mick taylor 12 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Like Dax’s photo?  I saw similar, from my bed squinting through the curtains. 

Dave the Rave 12 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Very similar but much more red than orange.

mick taylor 13 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

This morning.  Just out and about and saw this confident Robin. Realised we had some bread with us for our picnic breakfast so stopped, got a few crumbs and it fed. Very moving for my wife - she’s had special thing about Robins ever since her mum died a few years ago. I’ve never actually seen a Robin feed from a hand before. Quite special. 

Post edited at 11:35

Dax H 13 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

The Robin on your wife's hand is extremely cool but not as good as a Weasel sighting. 

Flinticus 14 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

That's cool. You could make that spot a regular feeding spit but you'll need to get in suet and seed if you're going to regularly feed it. You probably know this but on the off chance. 

squarepeg 15 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Seen a butterfly this morning, not sure what.

How's that! 

mick taylor 15 Feb 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

Excellent. Felt spring like this morning, lots of birds singing and a distinct mildness.  Be interesting if the southerly winds predicted will push up some early migrants ?

mick taylor 15 Feb 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

Two bats this evening. Perhaps because it feels about a million degrees warmer than over the weekend!

Also: barn owl and tawny owl this evening. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...