Strange/worrying flashback from primary school.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Donotello 20 Aug 2020

I was thinking this evening about a memory that comes back to me now and again, of a particular day in primary school (would have been roughly 92/93 where the boys went one by one into the lunch hall and we had to drop our trousers and someone, who I imagine we were told was a doctor, would briefly inspect your doodad.

I started to worry upon remembering it this evening, did a quick google search (linked below) and discovered I'm not the only person who remembers this, however more seem to not remember it, than do. 

Just wondering if anyone else remembers this, and has any idea what was going on?!?

(discussion from 2015 - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/medical-examination-in-high-schoo...)

Post edited at 22:58
 DenzelLN 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Its a nope from me, however i would have been at highschool 2000-2005 or thereabouts.

Bacon Butty 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

I had the old cough and drop in 71.

The freak that did it was probably the limit of her child abuse.  Dismissed ever since as some old time weirdness.

Tom Valentine 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

I think it was associated with testicles rather than your knob.

Having a testicle still "up" in your body as you approach puberty is not a good thing ( as my son can confirm).

I don't feel any unease about young boys being checked for it.

If I was going to be traumatised by a primary school memory it would be that of being told to drink milk which had assumed the consistency of cottage cheese.

jbrom 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

I was in primary school in the early/mid 90s and early on had a check of my testicles along with other health checks like hearing, weight and height. From what I remember it was dealt with very sensitively and not in any way embarrassing or sinister.

The check indicated that I had undescended testicles, which were subsequently operated on. Primary school students still undergo an optional health check at foundation stage (reception) which includes height, weight and hearing. Checking for undescended testicles is now done in health checkups in the first few weeks as operating on undescended testicles in the first year significantly reduces the risk of infertility and testicular cancer.*

I would also add, if you feel that these memories are worrying and upsetting it is important to talk about it, as you are doing. Often adults will start to recall memories that they had repressed as children, for a variety of reasons, from embarrassment to abuse.

*I am not an expert in children’s health checks, but unfortunately due to the surgery have some experience in the side affects it can cause so have spent more time thinking about it than most.

Removed User 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Yes.  Cough and see if your testicles have correctly descended.  School nurse.  ?100 pupils at about 30 seconds each.  Nothing untoward.

Ridge 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

As above, the old 'cough and drop', nothing to worry about.

Jenny C 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> If I was going to be traumatised by a primary school memory it would be that of being told to drink milk which had assumed the consistency of cottage cheese.

Eugh! I actually got my parents to make school exempt me from free milk, even now I can only drink it if ice cold and very fresh.

Dark-Cloud 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I still don't and in fact can't drink milk to this day after being force fed warm full fat milk as a primary school child.

Post edited at 07:53
 Red Rover 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello: Was everyone else having their lunch at the time? That would have been weird.

Dave Garnett 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> I started to worry upon remembering it this evening, did a quick google search (linked below) and discovered I'm not the only person who remembers this, however more seem to not remember it, than do. 

Although quite a lot of people are probably remembering something that didn't actually happen to them!  It was a bit of school legend when I was a kid and I can imagine it very easily but I'm certain it didn't happen to my cohort anyway. 

elliot.baker 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

I had this too - some female nurse. Didn't seem suspect at the time or in hindsight. We must be comparable in age!

Tobes 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

> Was everyone else having their lunch at the time? That would have been weird.

aye - meatballs that day I hear.... ; ) 

OP Donotello 21 Aug 2020

Thanks for all the replies I only just remembered I made this thread! 

Weird that over the years the odd mention has drawn blank faces and mockery yet it seems to have been completely normal.

A testament to how easy it must have been to abuse youngsters then was that I was simply led into a room where a strange man awaited and had my gnads fondled and that was that. Complete trust in adults and I probably didn’t mention it to anyone after that. 

Climbthatpitch 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

I was a bit more worried about the board rubber that come flying across the classroom on times from my music teacher in high school 🤣

In reply to Donotello:

I have the faintest memory of this. I do however, still have nightmares, real nightmares, about Mrs Russell, my teacher for the last 2 years at junior school, who was a violent psychopath. Her brutality only affects me occasionally at night time thankfully. I have no such nightmares about the cough drop though!

mountainbagger 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Climbthatpitch:

> I was a bit more worried about the board rubber that come flying across the classroom on times from my music teacher in high school 🤣

We had a chemistry teacher that did that. Once, his target (sat next to me) ducked and it hit a completely innocent boy behind right in the face. A sign of the times was that he neither apologised nor did the boy expect him to and nothing was ever said or done about it!

OP Donotello 21 Aug 2020
In reply to mountainbagger:

It was a different time back then I can only imagine what it was like even earlier than the 80’s and 90’s.

FactorXXX 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

I just did a Google Video Search for 'School Nurse Testicles' and really can't see what you're complaining about...

ThunderCat 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Yup. Born in 1974, clearly remember having this happen when I started primary school. So probably about 1979 ish? A woman, assumed was a doctor due to white coat in a small room next to the headmasters office. My mam was present. Few questions to my mam, then she had a quick fumble of my cubes. 

Clauso 22 Aug 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

>... A woman, assumed was a doctor due to white coat in a small room next to the headmasters office. My mam was present. Few questions to my mam, then she had a quick fumble of my cubes. 

I'm of a similar vintage to you, and almost 'enjoyed' the same treatment...

I say almost, because I kicked off royally in protest - despite pleading, remonstration, and encouragement from my mother, the doctor, my teacher, and my head teacher - my will eventually prevailed, and I allowed more than another decade to elapse before I let another female anywhere near my plums.

... Of course, the cruel thing is that since then - despite my best efforts at pleading, remonstration, and encouragement - females seem to actively avoid giving my spuds any attention at all.

baron 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

While lined up for our genital inspection a rumour was spread that should one become aroused by the fondling of one’s plums by the school nurse, she would whack the end of your knob with a spoon, thus causing one’s erection to desist.
Whether the rumour was aimed at decreasing or increasing the chances of an erection, given the state of your average young man’s mind, I’m not sure but nobody ever admitted to having received the spoon treatment.

Lankyman 22 Aug 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I just did a Google Video Search for 'School Nurse Testicles' and really can't see what you're complaining about...

As soon as I read this a picture sprang into my mind of Kenneth Williams and Barbara Windsor with Sid James somewhere cackling away.

ThunderCat 22 Aug 2020
In reply to baron:

> While lined up for our genital inspection a rumour was spread that should one become aroused by the fondling of one’s plums by the school nurse, she would whack the end of your knob with a spoon, thus causing one’s erection to desist.

Known round our school as 'the bonk-on spoon' 

wercat 23 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

if that is the most serious flashback from your schooldays you got off very lightly

OP Donotello 25 Aug 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

Definitely not what happened. A man, no white coat, and no parent! 

ThunderCat 25 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> Definitely not what happened. A man, no white coat, and no parent! 

I remember me and me mam looking at each other and this split second 'wtf just happened' moment... We never mentioned it again... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...