Steamy windows

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mutt 04 Apr 2024

I've been quoted 980 gbp for the replacement of three largish windows that have got moisture in between the double glazing. 11 individual panes. Is that reasonable? 🤔

Lankyman 04 Apr 2024
In reply to mutt:

Why bother? It's permanently p1ssing down outside anyway.

JLS 04 Apr 2024
In reply to mutt:

It doesn't sound ridiculous. When I thought about doing this a few years ago the cheapest prices were about £50 a pane (say 450mm x 450mm), so £550 + labour would have been bottom dollar back then.

The ones that have failed in my house are ones with pretty lead and colour film build in. This was presumably going to add to the costs. The project is still on my "to do" list.

Fraser 04 Apr 2024
In reply to mutt:

Not totally clear from your OP but is that quote for a). 3 new windows installed or b). 11 replacement panes into the existing frames?

If a) then it's good,  if b) maybe less so. 

Ciro 04 Apr 2024
In reply to mutt:

Sounds reasonable to me.

The last set I replaced (in December) the units were 475mm x 1225mm and cost £86.51 each.

I got them from glasstops.co.uk (other online retailers are available) and specced for decent thermal performance (but just argon gas, not krypton) and security.

Took me a couple of hours to replace a five pane window (it's very straightforward if you want to avoid labour costs) so I imagine a pro fitter would be in and out in a couple of hours for both your windows, but you also have to factor in call out costs etc.

OP mutt 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Fraser:

Just the panes and the labour to fit them. 

JLS 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Ciro:

How did you measure the existing units to know the precise size to order?

Edit: Like did you take the old ones out measure them, put them back in while waiting for the new ones to arrive?

Post edited at 12:23
 montyjohn 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Fraser:

> Not totally clear....

Nice pun

OP mutt 04 Apr 2024
In reply to mutt:

Also worth noting that the frames open from the outside and these are first floor windows with slightly difficult access. I suppose two glaziers are needed for work at height 

dread-i 04 Apr 2024
In reply to mutt:

There is, or should be, beading on the inside. You can pry it off with a plastic pry tool. You can then measure the frame and the units, also the depth. Take a picture of the packing pieces that support the glass, so you know where they go.You should be able to do the units from the inside. When I had new frames fitted they did the whole thing from the inside, so I wouldn't worry about access.

You can search for sealed units, to get some rough prices. Youtube has vids about replacing the units.

Ciro 04 Apr 2024
In reply to JLS:

> Edit: Like did you take the old ones out measure them, put them back in while waiting for the new ones to arrive?

This - didn't take long to take out one pane of each size and measure.

Ciro 04 Apr 2024
In reply to dread-i:

> There is, or should be, beading on the inside. You can pry it off with a plastic pry tool. You can then measure the frame and the units, also the depth. Take a picture of the packing pieces that support the glass, so you know where they go.You should be able to do the units from the inside. When I had new frames fitted they did the whole thing from the inside, so I wouldn't worry about access.

If it's standard UPVC windows - I know someone with wooden framed double glazing that the panes go in from the outside. Always seemed a security risk to me... With a screwdriver, pry bar and suction cup handle you could get in extremely quietly.

Pedro50 04 Apr 2024
In reply to mutt:

Steamy windows? Fit simply the best! American Express will do nicely thank you.

CantClimbTom 04 Apr 2024
In reply to mutt:

See if she can give a quote on the job, she knows a lot about it

https://youtu.be/e04pzNwIqU8?si=r6w_Xxv81Ut5VHHK

gethin_allen 04 Apr 2024
In reply to mutt:

Are any of the panes toughened? If so they are significantly more expensive than normal units. 

Do they have any special coatings or gas fills? Again, much more expensive.

JLS 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Ciro:

Cool. Yeah, I’ve since watched a YouTube video which shows the process. I suppose I should have a trial go with my downstairs plain glass kitchen pane before thinking about the upstairs ones with pho lead work.

Ciro 05 Apr 2024
In reply to JLS:

I find the only real difficulty is getting the prising tool started under the first bead without marking the plastic, it can be quite stiff.

Once you have one off, you can hook the other beads from the inside to create a gap for the tool.

I use a set of pry tools for car trims I had lying around. Ideally you only want to use the plastic ones but sometimes I've ended up using a metal tool to get it started.

Ciro 05 Apr 2024
In reply to JLS:

I was glad to get rid of the faux leading on ours.

We have some small panes along the top with the original stained glass panels encapsulated inside the unit.

They are not going to be so cheap to replace when they start going but they do look in character with the building and don't spoil the view like the main units did - it gives a much greater feeling of space to the rooms now.

gethin_allen 05 Apr 2024
In reply to Ciro:

> I was glad to get rid of the faux leading on ours.

Indeed, if you calculate the total area covered by this stick on lead rubbish you usually find it's blocking light through a significant proportion of the window.

oldie 05 Apr 2024
In reply to Ciro:

> If it's standard UPVC windows - I know someone with wooden framed double glazing that the panes go in from the outside. Always seemed a security risk to me... With a screwdriver, pry bar and suction cup handle you could get in extremely quietly.

I believe panes for older pvc windows go on from outside. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...