Steak Knives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 07 Aug 2020

Is it just me, or is the use of a steak knife just an admission that the cook has failed in their job.

I was reading an old review of an expensive steak restaurant yesterday and one of the negative comments was about being given ordinary knives rather than steak knives. At the prices quoted, surely the complaint would be if a steak knife was required rather than the fact that one wasn't issued.

I cook steak most weeks, it's often the only meat I have in any given week. I would consider myself a competent cook rather than a great cook, but I have never cooked a steak that couldn't be easily cut with an ordinary knife.

Post edited at 14:37
 wintertree 07 Aug 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

I'll take that as a coincidence and not a thinly veiled critique of my culinary skills - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/what_have_you_bought-723133?v=1...

It's been about a decade since I ate anywhere posh enough to give me a steak knife, and a couple of years since I had steak when eating out.  

For me, it's not that a steak knife is required, it's that there's something really nice about the sensation of a properly sharp knife glides through the meat almost effortlessly; it's also handy if like me you enjoy a Ribeye that's been cooked by holding it vertically with tongs for several minutes so the fat strip alone cooks, then giving each side 60 seconds on a searing hot pan.  You're then cutting through very different textures of meat and fat, which is much easier to do by slicing with a sharp edge than sawing away with a table knife.

OP The New NickB 07 Aug 2020
In reply to wintertree:

No, I hadn’t seen that.

Thanks for giving another perspective, I tend not to eat rib eye.

I think there is an expectation of a steak knife regardless of the poshness of the restaurant. I’ve not been in a harvester for about 20 years, but I reckon you get a steak knife if you order steak.

It strikes me that posher places may not give you a steak knife, because they are confident that you won’t need one.

nufkin 09 Aug 2020

>  they are confident that you won’t need one.

There aren't many foods where you really need a knife. Just stick your fork in and bite off chunks. Saves hours of washing-up in the long run

birdie num num 09 Aug 2020

When Mrs Num Num cooks steak you need a fork and a chainsaw.

Jenny C 09 Aug 2020

Very often these days a normal table knife has as much cutting ability as the average spork.

Since investing in good quality tableware my knives are fit to be called CUTlery and bespoke steak knives are no longer needed. 

Removed User 09 Aug 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

What's her beef skirt like?

Fozzy 09 Aug 2020

I dream of owning a set of these one day https://www.theskalpel.com/buy/skalpel-1

Phil59 09 Aug 2020
In reply to Fozzy:

What for?

Your either a crap cook or a open heart surgeon.

crustypunkuk 10 Aug 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Is that similar to beef curtains? 

In reply to crustypunkuk:

> Is that similar to beef curtains? 

More like kebab.

Removed User 12 Aug 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

A badly stuffed kebab?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...