SD Card For Dashcam - Which One?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 05 Oct 2022

Morning all,

Finally bought a dashcam and am in need of an SD Card. Nextbase recommend a "High Endurance" San Disk card. I was just wondering if I need to stick to that or have people used others (more budget ones) with success.

Cheers

CantClimbTom 05 Oct 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Read the packet/instructions, there are different capacities - what is the biggest size it supports, that might be written as 256GB  (or something) or it might be written in some weird geeky code like SDHC, SDXC  (etc etc)

What does it say for capacity?

Next how fast can it accept being written to, this again depends also on what the cam supports - does the packet say anything? (if not google the cam and see if you can see the specs). Is it an HD cam? as that writes more stuff to card than SD cam?  Most likely the speed will be shown as a letter "U" with a number in it, or written out UHS, probably either UHS1 or UHS3 

What does it say for speed?  

Post edited at 08:02
 LastBoyScout 05 Oct 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

I use Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro cards with my action cameras - various write speeds, so get the highest you can justify.

One on eBay at the moment for £1.20 + postage...

JMarkW 05 Oct 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

high endurance as it gets continually overwritten in loop mode. I have front and rear cameras on my bike.

Not as intensive as a gopro though as the file sizes are much smaller. Bottom line is you want it to be working when u need 

OP Frankie boy 05 Oct 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

It recommends u3, high endurance, 32, 64 or 128gb. Also recommends either sandisk or nextbase. Found some that meet that criteria on amazon, but had heard of people using others so just wondered....

Also wondered whether a higher capacity might last longer as im guessing it will be overwritten less frequently due to increased size

Paul Evans 05 Oct 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

I have used ordinary cards and had them fail. I now use high endurance ones (for a couple of years now) and, touch wood, have never had a problem. 

Paul

hokkyokusei 05 Oct 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Definitely get endurance. The  'dashcam' in my Tesla eats cheap flash cards.

Ram MkiV 05 Oct 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Just out of interest, what's the chief motivation for getting a dash cam? Sorry, off topic...

In reply to Ram MkiV:

Being honest, it seems like the last couple of years, my van has become invisible to other drivers, and there's so many muppets on the road these days.  Last year,  my van got written off while parked in a layby and the insurance company did everything they could to avoid dealing with it. (I'll never use Admiral again). 

I figured if anything happens and i am lucky enough to get footage,  it would make life easier in the long run. 

Also, nextbase do "refurbished" one on their website which are relatively cheap. 

Ram MkiV 05 Oct 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Fair enough, can see after an incident like that it could be a value bet!

In reply to Ram MkiV:

Realistically, I'd rather not have the hassle of getting one etc, but it's just like a little extra cover so to speak. I have been putting it off until I saw one cheap enough.

snoop6060 05 Oct 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Mine only works consistently with those fancy Sandisk ones. It was constantly having issues with a cheaper one. Been fine since I got a better one. It’s a front and back one tho it that makes any difference.  I presume it does as your recording 2 streams at the same time. 

CantClimbTom 05 Oct 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2656586?clickSR=slp:term:endurance%20sd%20c...

SanDisk High Endurance MicroSDXC Memory Card

64GB, U3 speed, £22.99

You may be able to get a better price if you shop around (try ebay, but I can't post links to there) the above is just an example

In reply to CantClimbTom:

Thanks, I've just ordered that exact one (oddly enough) off ebay for 11 quid.

Thanks for your help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...