Returns Problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all,

A recently purchased bathtub (which is extremely heavy) turned out to have been manufactured incorrectly and the feet don’t fit on. 
The company are happy to refund me but are stating I must dispose of the bathtub, they won’t collect it. They are happy to collect the feet though. 

I’ve tried to google it but I’m not quite getting the results I’m looking for. Does anyone know what the legal stand point is? Do they have to collect their bathtub?

Thanks

Jim

DizzyVizion 16 Jan 2024
In reply to The Freewheelin’ Jim18:

Should that not be in their terms and conditions?

FactorXXX 16 Jan 2024

I would have a look to see if something can be done to render the bath usable.

MG 16 Jan 2024
In reply to DizzyVizion:

> Should that not be in their terms and conditions?

What to do with goods that have been delivered, prove to be defective and neither the company nor customer want?  I doubt it!

In reply to FactorXXX:

I have considered this and I think It would be more work on the metal feet than is worthwhile.

Andypeak 16 Jan 2024

Is it metal? If it is a scrap collector will surely take it for free

In reply to Andypeak:

Sadly not. I would be selling it to scrap man if it were. 

CantClimbTom 16 Jan 2024

If it's metal, can't you leave it in view at the front of your house, round my way it wouldn't last 48 hours. Serious comment.

sxrxg 16 Jan 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I chopped an old cast bathtub in half with an angle grinder somehow manhandled it onto the front lawn and then went to work the day after worried about how I was going to put it into a car to try and get it to the tip (it was very very heavy...). I got home and it had gone, asked the wife as I thought she had sorted disposal, she didn't know it had gone! Wish I could thank the people that got rid of it, saved me a massive job. 

DizzyVizion 16 Jan 2024

You often see livestock drinking from bathtubs in the fields.

Maybe a local farmer would take it.

Sealwife 16 Jan 2024

Offer it free if taken away on your local Facebook sales page.  People will take just about anything if it’s free.

Jenny C 16 Jan 2024
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Ask at your local allotments.

MG 16 Jan 2024
In reply to sxrxg:

You know they have quite a price second hand (when while)?!

gethin_allen 16 Jan 2024
In reply to sxrxg:

I smashed up an old iron bathtub with a sledge hammer. We were going to take it down the council tip but we hadn't got it down the garden path to the road before the scrap van drove past and asked if they could have it. We thought they must have heard the racket it made when we were bashing ten shades out of it and homed in on the house.

MG 16 Jan 2024
 Jimbo C 16 Jan 2024
In reply to MG:

> Why is everyone smashing up baths!!?

How much!? 

sxrxg 16 Jan 2024
In reply to MG:

This was a crappy in built thing from a 60's semi. If it had been a nice rolltop with legs I would have saved it! 

gethin_allen 17 Jan 2024
In reply to MG:

Most of them are not fancy free standing roll top baths but square top ones designed to by installed against a wall and boxed in, often the enamel is in poor condition, and the really big reason being they are massive heavy things that would take a team of strongmen to get out of the bathroom and down the stairs.

In reply to gethin_allen:

So the one I took out was a metal one in the style you mention and I carried out of the house on my own. 
This new one is some kind of plastic or resin type stuff and weighs a lot more. 

i can give it away to some horsey people but feel like this company has already inconvenienced me enough and should take their rubbish away. 
I was thinking about dropping it in their car park with a picture drawn on the side of it but they are based in Leicester. 

Post edited at 08:59
 Sharp 17 Jan 2024

Think it's one of those things, either quickly and easily list it on freecycle or FB marketplace for someone to collect or spend a lot of time and money starting a small war to get vengeance and teach them a lesson. 

Martin W 17 Jan 2024
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Most of them are not fancy free standing roll top baths but square top ones designed to by installed against a wall and boxed in, often the enamel is in poor condition, and the really big reason being they are massive heavy things that would take a team of strongmen to get out of the bathroom and down the stairs.

Another big reason is that cast iron baths take a lot of hot water to heat the bath itself up before you can even think about the temperature of the water you want to sit in. (I know that one common solution to this is to fit a radiator horizontally under the bath to keep it - and the bathroom - warm, but that still sounds like a less than ideally efficient use of energy to me.) Resin or plastic baths are at least not as bad in this respect.

Post edited at 10:43
 Pete O'Donovan 17 Jan 2024
In reply to Sharp:

Dangerous things baths.

I visited A&E in Sheffield last summer and overheard a conversation between an old fellow, who'd just walked in holding his shoulder, and the receptionist.

Receptionist: “What's the problem Mr…”

Man: “Mi shoulder, summat fell on it”.

Receptionist: “Sorry, did you say you fell on it?

Man: “No. Summat fell on it”.

Receptioinist: “ Sorry, I don’t really understand. What exactly fell on it”?

Man: “A bath!”

Receptionist: “I'm not sure I heard that correctly, can you just repeat it please”?

Man: “A bath. I were 'elpin' a mate gerrit down t'stairs and e let goo on it…”

The receptionist kept a completely straight face, which was more than I managed. Then again, half an hour earlier she'd done the same when I told her how I'd fallen off my bike while almost stationary in traffic, so I suppose she's used to it…

Pete.

Post edited at 11:20
 kevin stephens 17 Jan 2024

Feegle it. It’s amazing what people will collect if it’s free

Nick1812P 17 Jan 2024

List what the bath is and someone on here might take it.

or bury it in the garden and have a new pond?

Turn it upside down in the garden, stick a chimney on it, put it on AirBnB as a glamping pod. 

john arran 17 Jan 2024
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Feegle it. It’s amazing what people will collect if it’s free

This. Far better than encouraging people to "steal" things from your front garden, even if you're happy for this particular thing to be stolen.

deepsoup 17 Jan 2024
In reply to john arran:

> This. Far better than encouraging people to "steal" things from your front garden, even if you're happy for this particular thing to be stolen.

Exactly so. 

For something like a metal bath or a washing machine, there are reputable scrap dealers you can call who'll be happy to come round and collect it.  (If you're leaving it out for them they'll generally ask you to leave it out of sight so it's less likely that someone will have already nicked it before they get there.)

Dax H 18 Jan 2024

Give them the ultimatum. They collect all or nothing. If the feet are worth collecting they need to take the bath too.

If not then as others have said, freegle, Facebook etc. Or most councils will collect large items. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...