polite notice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minimike 08 Jan 2024

is it just me, or does putting 'polite notice' at the top of an email or sign instantly make it anything but?

Our kids school has taken to doing that recently and (besides the fact that it's impossible to find any info as every email subject is just 'polite notice') I thought the recipient usually gets to decide what's polite, not the sender..

/rant

SouthernSteve 08 Jan 2024
In reply to minimike:

I have a feeling that some are trying to pretend it's a police notice. Often takes a second glance to be clear.

Announcing your own politeness, lack of bigotry or any other favourable trait usually means just the opposite is about to happen. It is almost as annoying as emails that start 'just a gentle reminder' - it's just a reminder!

john arran 08 Jan 2024
In reply to minimike:

Any comment beginning "No offence, but..." is virtually guaranteed to be knowingly offensive.

deepsoup 08 Jan 2024
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> I have a feeling that some are trying to pretend it's a police notice. Often takes a second glance to be clear.

That's definitely the origin of the phrase "polite notice", on sign posts not on emails though.

I've seen a horse rider wearing a hi-vis jacket with the word "Polite" on the back, blue and silver checked reflective stripes, the whole bit.  That didn't strike me as particularly polite, but it's probably very effective at getting some drivers to slow down a bit and give them more space on the road than they otherwise would have.

> Announcing your own politeness, lack of bigotry or any other favourable trait..

"I'm not being funny but... "

mondite 08 Jan 2024

> I have a feeling that some are trying to pretend it's a police notice. Often takes a second glance to be clear.

On jackets and the like definitely (horse riders are particularly prone to this) but seems odd for a school. Unless its a borstal.

>  It is almost as annoying as emails that start 'just a gentle reminder' - it's just a reminder!

I do absolutely hate those. Pretty much guaranteed to make me ignore them for a bit longer on principle.

SouthernSteve 08 Jan 2024
In reply to mondite:

Yes, I was considering signs, but in many text documents anything with notice at the top is verging on officious:  notice of prosecution,  final notice etc.

In the school context, teachers and admin staff have to cope with some pretty aggressive characters at times and perhaps here is it for them, so that the object of any complaint can point out that it was only 'a polite notice', perhaps avoiding the accusation of a bossy order. 

More generally how we view and use words, and the emotions they invoke are quite individual and catering to everyone is a hard task.

In reply to deepsoup:

> I've seen a horse rider wearing a hi-vis jacket with the word "Polite" on the back, blue and silver checked reflective stripes, the whole bit.  That didn't strike me as particularly polite, but it's probably very effective at getting some drivers to slow down a bit and give them more space on the road than they otherwise would have.

I’ve seen that one a lot but I think it falls into a different category; I think the choice of the word “polite” in that case has nothing to do with its actual meaning and everything to do with getting as close to impersonating a police officer as possible without actually committing a chargeable offence.

In reply to minimike:

> besides the fact that it's impossible to find any info as every email subject is just 'polite notice'

I'd be tempted to provide feedback.

The subject heading explains what the subject of the email is.

Any passive-aggressive 'polite notice' claims can be made within the body of the email.

Maggot 08 Jan 2024

"With all due respect,..." is my favourite, unless someone is using it to me 🙂

wintertree 08 Jan 2024
In reply to minimike:

Car parking drama?

deepsoup 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Stuart Williams:

For sure.  I agree completely it's a different thing, but with the similar origins I think. 

The original "polite notice" signposts were also trying to look like something they weren't (though I've no idea whether putting up a bogus "police notice" sign was ever an offence), and I'm convinced that they're how this silly phrase entered the language.

Obviously an email heading is an entirely different thing, but both invoke an image in my mind of the same kind of pompous, self-important but slightly ridiculous Captain Mainwaring character behind them.

Post edited at 15:17
OP minimike 08 Jan 2024
In reply to wintertree:

No. PE has been moved to a Tuesday and sausages will be unavailable for 3 weeks due to supply issues. Also, do not lean on the Perspex window in reception, it apparently wasn’t designed with the local demographics in mind..

Ridge 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Stuart Williams:

> I’ve seen that one a lot but I think it falls into a different category; I think the choice of the word “polite” in that case has nothing to do with its actual meaning and everything to do with getting as close to impersonating a police officer as possible without actually committing a chargeable offence.

It is, and it's apparently incredibly effective at stopping dickheads doing close passes at high speed.

Sealwife 08 Jan 2024
In reply to mondite:

Spotted a bloke in a yellow hi-viz with “Insecurity” on the back.

damowilk 08 Jan 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

This actually seems to achieve the opposite!

There was a study done by Prof Walker, a psychologist at Bath who does a lot of work into attitudes to cycling, with cyclists in varying attire and measuring the distances car passed; Lycra gear, normal street wear, both genders, a “Polite” tabard and finally a Police Monitoring” one. 
Only 2 were any different from average: the police one for more distance, and the Polite one got less! Presumably some indignant drivers felt tricked and did a conscious or unconscious punishment pass.

This was actually a follow up to a similar study by the same person a few decades earlier, which showed normal street wear and female riders (actually the 6ft guy himself in dress and wig) got more space on average.

His conclusion from the updated study was that we’ve become a less tolerant driving nation that only changes behaviour due to the threat of personal negative consequences.

deepsoup 08 Jan 2024
In reply to damowilk:

I kinda can believe that.  Not the 'punishment pass' thing which is incredibly stupid behaviour and an absolute dick move whatever the circumstances - but passive aggressive signage (as opposed to a genuinely polite notice, which never has either of those words on it) very much brings out the worst in me so I can kind of see it.

Maybe the reaction it gets is different when it's a horse rather than a bicycle, dunno.

It's depressing but not surprising if we've become a less tolerant 'driving nation', we've become a less tolerant nation and of course driving has been dragged into the whole 'culture war' bullshit just lately what with nonsense like the actual government saying that bus lanes are 'woke' now ffs.

freeflyer 08 Jan 2024
In reply to minimike:

> Our kids school has taken to doing that recently

You need to register a complaint.

The subject of your email could be "Polite Notice", which would be satisfying. Or it might need to be "RE: polite notice". You can choose

mondite 08 Jan 2024
In reply to freeflyer:

> The subject of your email could be "Polite Notice", which would be satisfying.

or "FOI ****". With a decent selection of swearwords throughout.

Niall_H 09 Jan 2024
In reply to freeflyer:

> The subject of your email could be "Polite Notice",

Or, to retain the spirit of the original "Polite Notice Re: Polite Notice" ?

(I agree, BTW, with the general feeling that a "polite notice" comes across as anything but)

Post edited at 00:04
OP minimike 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Niall_H:

I think I should just go with ‘notice’ to avoid hypocrisy. Or possibly ‘subject goes here’?

In reply to minimike:

Purchasing a laminator should require a basic English test.

Rampart 09 Jan 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

> passive aggressive signage (as opposed to a genuinely polite notice, which never has either of those words on it) very much brings out the worst in me so I can kind of see it

Looking at this from the other end, as an occasionally obliged writer of notices (for work purposes), it is hard not to end up doing this, when despairing at the general arsewittery of people left to their own devices in public-ish places. 
Ultimately the trick seems to be to realise that people rarely actually read signs anyway, and the purpose of them is to have been written, rather than achieve any meaningful effect.

deepsoup 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Rampart:

> Ultimately the trick seems to be to realise that people rarely actually read signs anyway, and the purpose of them is to have been written, rather than achieve any meaningful effect.

Perhaps there is that, but also I think you need to bear in mind that contrary to what you might believe most people aren't arsewits most of the time.  It seems that way because confirmation bias is a thing and the arsewittery is overwhelmingly what gets your attention.

(If genuinely everybody does something ridiculous in your quasi-public space then you really should consider that it's the design of the space, not human nature, that is to blame.)

If you write the sign as if you're addressing a bunch of arsewits what happens is that the arsewits will probably not read it, or ignore it, and just carry on and do whatever they were going to do. 

Meanwhile the reasonable people who do read your sign will feel rather insulted, but will probably comply with whatever your sign is asking of them anyway albeit perhaps slightly resentfully. 

And then there's another group of individuals who are capable of being perfectly nice and reasonable people or arsewits depending on their mood, will have their attitude affected by yours when you wrote the sign and may consciously or unconsciously decide to become the arsewit you're treating them as more or less out of sheer spite.  (I'm one of those I'm afraid.)  It's surprising how often your expectation of people tends to be self-fulfilling.

For example here is a genuinely polite notice: "Please don't allow your dog to foul my garden."

I saw that and felt a good deal of sympathy with the writer, clearly they've spent too much time picking up dogshit from their garden and unfortunately they're on a popular dog walk route and some dog owners are undoubtedly arsewits who will continue to offend.

However, I also saw a similar sign that was not polite a while ago - it had clearly been written by someone who'd let their frustration get the better of them.  Understandably perhaps.  I don't know how the passing dog walkers felt about that (arsewit or otherwise), but I saw it and felt no sympathy whatsoever.

I can't remember how it was phrased exactly now, which is a bit of a shame, because it was spectacular!  I was so offended by it despite not even having a dog that I actually contemplated curling one out on their lawn myself.

OP minimike 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Rampart:

It’s kind of simple. Either just write ‘notice’ at the top, or just simply write ‘please do not sh1t in the woods, we can’t bear it’, as it’s not really necessary to put the word ‘notice’ on something that is clearly a notice.. 

deepsoup 10 Jan 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

> It's depressing but not surprising if we've become a less tolerant 'driving nation', we've become a less tolerant nation and of course driving has been dragged into the whole 'culture war' bullshit just lately what with nonsense like the actual government saying that bus lanes are 'woke' now ffs.

Hm..  on this topic - and speaking of "depressing but not surprising" - here's something that popped up this morning:  https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/10/shift-from-15-minute-cities...

Rampart 11 Jan 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

> I was so offended by it despite not even having a dog that I actually contemplated curling one out on their lawn myself.

Ha! You're right of course, that really most people are fine, and it's just the select few who make everybody seem hateful. 
As well as trying to arrange things so ridiculous behaviour isn't directly encouraged, a good deal of the problem is just getting worked up by things unnecessarily. It's hard to resist the urge to feel that, by not reacting, 'They' win, but on the whole it's probably for the best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...