Piers Morgan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 27 Jun 2019

Bloody hell.

Saw Psychopath with Piers Morgan. On STV today.

Very good. He was an excellent interviewer.

My psychologist wife was also impressed with his persistent, direct and calm questioning.

Well worth watching. 

FactorXXX 27 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> Bloody hell.
> Saw Psychopath with Piers Morgan. On STV today.
> Very good. He was an excellent interviewer.
> My psychologist wife was also impressed with his persistent, direct and calm questioning.
> Well worth watching. 

Takes one to know one?

Rob Exile Ward 28 Jun 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

I'm sorry, that does not fit in with the collective opinion of the UKC hive and your post will be despatched down the same tube reserved for posts suggesting there is an alternative climber's car to the Skoda Octavia.

tehmarks 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Volvo V60.

Clauso 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

It rates 2/5 in this Guardian review:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/28/psychopath-with-piers-...

Besides being a colossal tosser, and considering some of his previous programmes, Morgan seems to be intent on becoming the media git for killers, similar to Ross Kemp and his gangs.

OP Flinticus 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Clauso:

I'd disagree with that. Perhaps Lucy letting her own bias take over?

Her comment about his mother is off too: the mother herself is not a straight forward character: taking her son out of psychiatric care at age 11, having another child, calling him Phoenix (the rebirth of her dead daughter?) and creating a relationship with Phoenix and Paris...

I'm no fan of Piers Morgan (the opposite in fact) but I think The Guardian are bring unfair. I imagine if Louis Theroux had conducted this, they'd have a different opinion.

OP Flinticus 28 Jun 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

Certainly! Sociopath interviewing psychopath. 

Tyler 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> I'd disagree with that. Perhaps Lucy letting her own bias take over?

To be fair the criticism focuses mainly on the premise of the program rather than PM which seems fair enough.

Blue Straggler 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I didn't see it. I have just read the very short review that is linked downthread and all I have to say is something on a tangent....

For anyone that is interested in this sort of thing, I highly recommend the massively underrated "Into the Abyss", possibly the best of all the Werner Herzog documentaries that I've seen. He applies the Herzog style to a study of all aspects and strands of a murder case (attempted theft of a car went wrong, people were killed, someone is on death row...). It's just superb. 

Wiley Coyote2 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

To be fair Morgan is a good reporter/interviewer and he was to be commended for the way he aggressively took on the US gun lobby and its political supporters during his time on US TV. Before that he was the youngest ever editor of a national newspaper. Regardless of what you think of him or the paper, you do not get to be editor of the News of the World at 29 without a lot of journalistic talent. He then went on to edit the Mirror. That  ended in tears  when he fell for the con about the bogus Iraq pix. Then again, most editorships end with the sack, either for failure or a gamble that went the wrong way.

Sadly, he is obsessed with  celebrity and desperate to be part of that circus as a participant rather than  an observed/reporter. This seems to  lead to him being controversial for no other reason than to make himself the story and increase his own profile, not caring whether he is famous or notorious just so long as he is the centre of attention.

summo 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

It's a fine line to walk, many interviewers become stars because their interviewing style gets the most out of their guests; Parkinson for example. Morgan isn't at that level and chases ratings through controversy, no different to his writing of tabloid headlines. 

Post edited at 07:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...