PC backup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 13 Mar 2024

I want to backup files on a PC without having to do it manually every week or so.

I have Dropbox - This is where I work, so these files need backing up

Lots of spare hard disk space so I want all the dropbox files replicated here

One drive, I want to use this as a second cloud backup, so I want the Dropbox files replicated here too.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Spready 13 Mar 2024
In reply to MG:

Ive used syncback for years... various different sync or Backup profiles can all be run when shutting down the PC etc..
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare-simple.html

The Lemming 13 Mar 2024
In reply to MG:

I use Acronis to back up my operating system, isn't what you were after. However it does do automated backing up of files which should be just what you need.

Paragon do a free version which should help you as well.

Or you could use Free File Sync. Its sort of automated but it does copy files from one place to another.

https://freefilesync.org/

OP MG 13 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks both, I'll take a look.

I was surprised Windows only seemed to want to back up certain folders (pictures,documents etc), although digging deeper there does seem to be a more general capability, not sure it will do Dropbox>OneDrive though.

The Lemming 13 Mar 2024
In reply to MG:

I also use File History on my Windows computer to back my stuff to a Network Attached Storage box. You can use File History to back up to an external hard drive, it does not have to be a NAS box. I think this is the best feature that Windows has ever created and its saved my bacon many times over the years.

File History back's up your files over a period of time, anywhere from a month to indefinitely depending on how much storage you have. The best bit is, even if you delete a file two months ago and then decide that you need that essential shopping list or photo and as long as you have File History running then you can recover that file.

Its all done automatically without any help from you. I don't know how Apple's Time Machine works, but File History is supposed to be very similar.

BlownAway 13 Mar 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

> I also use File History

isnt file history in the throes of being retired?

ByEek 15 Mar 2024
In reply to MG:

I would recommend Macrium. Set up after the founder tried to recover a backup using Acronis and it failed. Based in Manchester, their support is excellent if you have bought it. 

https://www.macrium.com/

There is a free version if you google.

Brass Nipples 15 Mar 2024
In reply to BlownAway:

> isnt file history in the throes of being retired?

Seems unlikely, the older Windows 7 full image back up is still there alongside file history .

Brass Nipples 15 Mar 2024
In reply to MG:

Depends how tech savvy you are 

Since W10 there’s been WSL (Linux).  This means you can run RSYNC to backup to as many connected drives / folders or remote computers as you want.  Create a power shell file to run it.  Then schedule that to run when required as per task scheduler.

Post edited at 18:51
OP MG 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Brass Nipples:

Thanks but I was kind of after something simple! Seems odd it's not routine but I will follow up suggestions higher.

BlownAway 15 Mar 2024

> Seems unlikely, the older Windows 7 full image back up is still there alongside file history .

Two different strategies so not really comparable.

I’m sure that M$oft said that FH was effectively being replaced by OneDrive backup, even though that wouldn’t allow unlimited history.

LastBoyScout 15 Mar 2024
In reply to MG:

I've used SyncToy for this.

Just set up as many sync pairs as you want and let them run.

Brass Nipples 18 Mar 2024
In reply to BlownAway:

> Two different strategies so not really comparable.

> I’m sure that M$oft said that FH was effectively being replaced by OneDrive backup, even though that wouldn’t allow unlimited history.

Comparable in terms of having not been removed. No one was comparing strategies other than yourself.

BlownAway 18 Mar 2024

> Comparable in terms of having not been removed. No one was comparing strategies other than yourself.

Crikey.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...