Pancakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 25 Feb 2020

What are your pancake delights looking like today?

I have had savoury crepes with cream cheese, dill and smoked salmon for lunch. Yum!

Moley 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I made a couple for lunch, well that's a slight exageration. I added an egg to an American pancake mix - a trial, honest. I bought the mix a while back to try in my camper van, cook in my Ridgemonkey which I use for just about everything (https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/ridgemonkey-deep-fill-sandwich-toaster-xl-l...). 

Anyway, the pancakes worked and I covered my two very thick ones in peanut butter and butterscotch syrup, which will probably make most people feel sick but I thought was a very fine combination.

LastBoyScout 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Inevitably, Unicorn pancakes are now a thing (seen on friend's Facebook page):

https://groceries.asda.com/product/baking-mixes-kits/asda-unicorn-pink-panc...

As far as I can tell, it's a pancake mix with a bit of pink food colouring.

I shall be going for something a bit more traditional.

Fruitbat 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Galettes for me, made from buckwheat, beer, water and egg with savoury fillings such as cheese, spinach, mushroom, egg. Mmm! Mmm!

PaulJepson 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Lemon and Sugar. Close the thread.

You lot with your savoury pancakes can get in the sea. 

nikoid 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Years ago my mum served up tinned sardines rolled up in pancakes for lunch.  Don't know what she was thinking of, and definitely not her finest hour. It was probably one of those war time recipes, that she thought could make a comeback. 

My wife says she would prefer crepes Suzette tonight so I'll give them a go!

Tom Valentine 25 Feb 2020
In reply to Fruitbat:

I have an obsession with buckwheat in any shape or form. 

Today it takes the form of a  good measure of buckwheat flour mixed in with the a suet topping of a Teviot pie.

No reason I can't do galettes tomorrow.

Post edited at 18:36
In reply to girlymonkey:

Pancakes with passion fruit coulis.  Solero, but in pancake form.

T.

BusyLizzie 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Stop it, I am at a conference with real grown-ups, pancakes are deffo not on the menu, and I am very cross. I don't even want anything very complicated, just golden syrup, and the delicious memory of my dad teaching me how to roll up a syrupy pancake when I was v small.

Post edited at 18:39
OP girlymonkey 25 Feb 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Oh dear. I suppose unicorn pancakes are no surprise, but it does sadden me!

In reply to Moley:

> I made a couple for lunch, well that's a slight exageration. I added an egg to an American pancake mix - a trial, honest. I bought the mix a while back to try in my camper van, cook in my Ridgemonkey which I use for just about everything (https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/ridgemonkey-deep-fill-sandwich-toaster-xl-l...). 

That looks like the dog's. You rate it then? 

Shadow 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Unfortunately, I'm on no sugar diet right now.

In reply to Fruitbat:

They sound excellent! Maybe I will have another pancake day soon to try them!

In reply to PaulJepson:

I don't eat sugar, so none of that for me!

In reply to BusyLizzie:

That sounds like the wrong place to be! Tell them you are going home if they don't let you have pancakes!

In reply to Shadow:

I don't eat sugar either, but savory pancakes are ace. Are you still eating fruit or have you cut out all sugars?

If you are eating fruit, you can beat eggs and bananas together with a little bicarb and fry them up like little scotch pancakes.

Fruitbat 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

They are very tasty and, to me, capture the simple but satisfying food of a French bistro. This is the recipe I use https://cheznousbistro.com/2013/breton-buckwheat-galettes but, like all these things, may need a bit of trial-and-error. A million other versions available on the interweb.

Tom V: I haven't used buckwheat* for anything other than galettes so I'll look into other recipes; it will help use it up instead of finding the partly-used bag from last year in the back of the cupboard and chucking it away.

*As mentioned in that link, buckweat is a seed not a grain, nor anything to do with wheat. I'm not being a pedant, I didn't know this until recently. 

Post edited at 19:09
Moley 25 Feb 2020
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> That looks like the dog's. You rate it then? 

For a camper van, on gas, yes - not something you carry in a rucksack! Found mine cheaper on offer and think there's  non brand copies.

I chuck everything in it to cook, but I'm not fussy on cooking or eating. Bonus is you don't waste heat and don't splatter grease all over like an open fry pan. Yeah, I was sceptical but now wouldn't be without it.

Tom Valentine 25 Feb 2020
In reply to Fruitbat:

Buckwheat (not flour) makes the best possible tabbouleh. You can also find it as a filler  in some Polish black pudding type sausages.

As for the flour, it can be used anywhere provided you accept that it's not brilliant on its own except in galettes. A lady who ran a boulangerie in France told me I wouldn't be able to make bread out of the "sarrasin" she sold me but she was only half right: mixed 50/50 it makes perfectly good, heavy rolls.

Used in small ratios it can enhance scones , dumplings and even Yorkshire puddings.

But the absolute best incarnation of the plant for me is in the puffed buckwheat you can buy in health food shops : looks just like puffed wheat or rice but has that essential earthy scent and taste of the original plant.

In reply to Moley:

> For a camper van, on gas, yes - not something you carry in a rucksack! Found mine cheaper on offer and think there's  non brand copies.

> I chuck everything in it to cook, but I'm not fussy on cooking or eating. Bonus is you don't waste heat and don't splatter grease all over like an open fry pan. Yeah, I was sceptical but now wouldn't be without it.

That's me putting an order in then! Thanks.

Fruitbat 25 Feb 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Thanks for all that, I'll definitely try using it in other things. 

I didn't realise you could get just the buckwheat itself as well as the fairly common 'buckwheat flour', I thought the latter was the only thing you could get, hence my comment about it being a seed i.e. it's not really a flour. 

If you're making bread with it, try using only about 30% buckwheat flour with the rest being a good, strong white flour so there'll be plenty of gluten to help make it a bit lighter. I do this if using spelt as it has very little gluten and would be heavy if used in high proportion - the buckwheat has no gluten at all so probably needs a bit of a lift.

In reply to Fruitbat:

I used to get fed buckwheat and liver when I lived in Russia. Very good for you I'm sure, but it was rank!

I now sometimes put buckwheat in a salad, but struggle to eat just a bowl of it.

Myfyr Tomos 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Lemon juice, sugar, butter. LOTS of BUTTER!

krikoman 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Lemon juice and sugar, that's all you can legal put on pancakes.

In reply to krikoman:

Nope, no sugar for me!

bouldery bits 25 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Made some crepes, then wrapped them round some olives, feta and sun-dried tomatoes and popped them in the oven.

Served with a bit of rocket. 

Pancakes are class. 

In reply to bouldery bits:

that sounds very classy indeed! I tend to only do pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, I am now thinking I should do them more often, so many nice things to do with them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...