Open Request to Site Owners...Please remove the Like/Dislike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 13 Jan 2016
Please give some serious consideration to removing the feature of the like and dislike buttons.

I am getting seriously fed up and disheartened with a small yet dedicated band of people hitting the Dislike button irrespective of what I post. I may be thick skinned, but eventually such open and anonymous hatred gets through.

Anonymous bullying is pathetic. If you dislike my posts have the BALLS to put your name to the Dislike Button.
Grown ups tend to post replies explaining why they dislike or disagree, in the form of a discussion.

I'm sure that I am not alone in this request to remove this controversial and for me, personally insulting feature of the site.

This is spoiling my enjoyment of the site.
 DancingOnRock 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
Quite.

Can anyone explain what it's supposed to be for? As far as I can see you can't even tell who has liked or disliked the post let alone why.

All very strange.
Post edited at 16:01
In reply to The Lemming:

Disliked as I don't think they should be removed, not because I hate you. I'd be open to making the likes and dislikes visible though to make harrassment more visible, keeping it anonymous seems counter-productive
 DancingOnRock 13 Jan 2016
At least on Facebook I can reply to myself and like my own posts.

OP The Lemming 13 Jan 2016
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

> Disliked as I don't think they should be removed, not because I hate you. I'd be open to making the likes and dislikes visible though to make harrassment more visible, keeping it anonymous seems counter-productive

I'm all for disagreement, that's how the world works and how discussion progresses.

However I'm not so tolerant on anonymous harassment, which I have had to endure during all of last year.
 Clarence 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't think they add anything to UKC and can make it downright annoying at times. I'd be happy to see them gone.
 broken spectre 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

How about a third "am I bovvered" button for those who can't bring themselves to either like or dislike a post?

To the OP, keep your chin up Mr Lemming - you get some good threads going!
Moley 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

There do you feel better now?
Seriously, do you think people post dislikes because of you (or me or anyone else) as opposed to your post? I've never given it any thought or noticed but obviously you have. I shall pay more attention and you should pay less attention, its only a load of bollox in the end.
 MG 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Can you not just ignore them (its not me)?
 tony 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I think the like/dislike buttons are pointless to the extent that I never look to see if people like or dislike my posts. If they haven't got anything useful to say (or even anything at all to say, regardless of whether it's useful or not), I'm not going to expend effort worrying about a mere click of a button.

So I think my question to you is why you're bothered? I can see it's annoying to repeatedly be on the end of a bunch of dislikes, but the dislikes are worthless without a name and a reason.

Another way of looking at it would be to think that the anonymous dislikers probably don't care what you think about them, so there's no good reason why you should care about what they think about you.

In general, I don't think the arrival of the like/dislike buttons has done anything to improve the site.
 Babika 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd be happy to see it gone - they seem a bit pointless and appear like a lazy person's way of joining in a discussion without actually having to say anything.

The only reason that Like is helpful is that sometimes someone posts a response so eloquent /informative / compelling that you just want to say Like rather than post "hear hear, well said" etc 29 times

I'm not offended by Dislike although some of my most innocuous responses have been disliked leaving me thinking they must dislike me rather than what I'm saying!
 Derry 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> I am getting seriously fed up and disheartened with a small yet dedicated band of people hitting the Dislike button irrespective of what I post. I may be thick skinned, but eventually such open and anonymous hatred gets through.

The troll cage has been opened.

Phil Anderson 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Moley:

Take a look at The Lemming's posts and how many dislikes they get. It definitely looks personal to me and is out of all proportion with the content of his posts.
 Phil Anderson 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I like likes, but dislike dislikes. Could we get rid of one and not the other?
 ScottTalbot 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I really don't understand why people take Internet forums so seriously!?! Don't get me wrong, this is a great place to glean information, it's invaluable in fact! It's also a great place to speak to like minded people and possibly build friendships, but to take random peoples like, or dislike, of your post to heart? That's plain bonkers!?!
We've already had the Cornwall meet cancelled, because the person arranging it left the forum, because of some silly argument or other!?! What's the point? If there's someone in your local that you don't get on with, do you find another pub? Or do you just ignore that person?
Are we measuring our own self worth by how many likes/dislikes we receive? It's nice to see that people agree with what you are saying, but in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter to me in the slightest.
 ScottTalbot 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Clinger:

For the record, I disliked The Lemming's post. Not because I dislike him (I don't know him), but because I disliked his post. I'm a little bored with all the whining about likes/dislikes, so it amused me to hit dislike just because...
 Greasy Prusiks 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
I've also noticed that you get more than your fair share of dislikes, can't see why, you seem decent enough to me. It's a shame people do that on a small community forum like this, especially when climbers in person are generally very friendly. I'd also like to see likes/dislikes being made public.

I hope you don't take the dislikes to heart as they really mean very little! Maybe consider a change of profile?
Post edited at 16:42
 wercat 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Somebody famous probably once said

"There is only one thing worse than being disliked ...

Being neither liked nor disliked .."
 3leggeddog 13 Jan 2016
In reply to

> Grown ups tend not to get upset internet clicks
 john arran 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Would you be happier if you had the option to turn them off or hide them just for your login? Ignorance is bliss, apparently and if you can't see them you can't get bothered by them.
 John Ww 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Personally, I take less than the cube root of f*ck all notice of them. However, as far as I can see, they add absolutely zero to the site, yet upset some people, so as far as I'm concerned, they can go.

JW
 jkarran 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd prefer they weren't anonymous.
jk
In reply to The Lemming:

> Please give some serious consideration to removing the feature of the like and dislike buttons.

As the site owner I can respond to this!

I will consider it but at the moment it isn't something that worries me at all. We find them extremely useful from a moderating point of view and I think they have a positive effect on reducing stupid posts. They also make it easy to spot really bad posts and can be very encouraging for those who make good contributions. They also help when scrolling through a thread in finding the most pertinent responses - both positive and negative.

There will be some petty individuals who just dislike things - I get plenty of that - but it is usually pretty easy to ignore. Also, a lot of the time the people who are ticking the like/dislike button are the people active on a particular thread anyway.

We are doing a User Survey this year and I will add it as a question on that.

Alan
In reply to Clinger:

> I like likes, but dislike dislikes. Could we get rid of one and not the other?

We had the Likes running for several months before we turned on Dislikes and no-one really used them. As soon as they had the option, people started expressing their opinions.

Alan
 wintertree 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I once used the dislike button on a post (it deserved it.) It was from a poster I had never disliked before or since. Almost immediately a rant was posted by them complaining about their "dislike stalker". There's some serious paranoia out there that isn't rooted in reality it seems.

Also, I've noticed on several occasions that I disliked the first post in a thread without intending to. It seems to happen when swiping a thread on an iOS device. Accidental pressing I guess. I'm now more careful and would welcome a bit of consideration going into the mobile interface around this.

Also, sometimes I get some dislikes that I view rather as a badge of honour. If my opinion on some things didn't piss off some people it wouldn't be much of an opinion... Treat the dislikes on your questions as such and you'll be just fine.

In reply to The Lemming:

Maybe there could be a premium membership of UKC? For a pound a week, sensitive people could have dislikes of their posts hidden.
 Scarab9 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Hi Lemming,

This bit is not personal as there's a RIDICULOUS amount of "people dislike me, woe is me, bullying, awful" posts i nthe last few months.

If you use any other social media you will know that the like and dislike function, where applicable, can be used to show you don't agree with something, do agree with something, something made you laugh etc. It depends on the context. But mostly when you look at UKC it's do you agree or disagree with something.

It's useful. I read some posts and rather than respond with a lengthy repetition of what some people above me have said I will simply like their posts. A highly liked post should be indicative of a popular opinion. this prevents over long posts that no one wants to read through, and it also stops ridiculous and trolly posts that no one wants to be on here in the first place.

It's not bullying. It's also not something you or anyone else should be taking as bullying. If you are so worried about strangers not agreeing with you then don't post online - it's that simple. I'm not saying it's good or nice, but internet personas are pretty harsh and unforgiving. IF you can't accept and deal with that then don't bother (I get it, there's some online games I don't play just due to the level of abuse)

More personal....

you post a lot of drivel. I love some of it as do many, it's great for starting a debate, but some of what you put is drivel and not worth posting. This is a risk if you're posting a lot of content, and personally I'd say carry on, but if some people are going to show they don't like the worst posts by disliking. That's perfectly normal.

Generally ....

will everyone on here please chill the hell out and accept they can be disliked without needing a weep?! grow up!
 Rick Graham 13 Jan 2016
In reply to jkarran:

> I'd prefer they weren't anonymous.

I agree. The like button can mean just that and saves a need to say just that in an unnecessary post.

Just, please, have it so we can all see who is clicking the button.

Robert Durran 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Maybe there should be an option to allow liking/disliking of your posts (like there is an option to allow voting on photos). Yes, the like/dislike thing can be very negative but I think it might encourage some of the witty and incisive posting. And if someone makes a blatantly arsy post and disallows likes/dislikes, it will only make them look even more arsy.
In reply to The Lemming:
If you dislike my posts have the BALLS to put your name to the Dislike Button.

He/ She may have a good point, just to dislike or like is pointless, without some reason,,,, unless it is so obvious ie; don't shit on belay ledges.

I picked up a few dislikes on walls and training, I sincerely could not understand why, so I asked I got reply's, and some good feedback,, thank you. but not one of the respondents was a dis-liker .... They nover come out of the wood work even when asked
so yes grow up or go ply on face book

Timmd 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
> The only reason that Like is helpful is that sometimes someone posts a response so eloquent /informative / compelling that you just want to say Like rather than post "hear hear, well said" etc 29 times

Ditto, which says to me that the like button is the more useful one, because if somebody is being offensive or something, it may be a good thing for them to have why outlined, rather than to have 32 dislikes on their post.

> I'm not offended by Dislike although some of my most innocuous responses have been disliked leaving me thinking they must dislike me rather than what I'm saying!

Same here, though it proved to be a nudge towards deciding I don't care what people think, so it didn't matter in the end.
Post edited at 17:49
 Timmd 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:
> Maybe there should be an option to allow liking/disliking of your posts (like there is an option to allow voting on photos). Yes, the like/dislike thing can be very negative but I think it might encourage some of the witty and incisive posting. And if someone makes a blatantly arsy post and disallows likes/dislikes, it will only make them look even more arsy.

I think a 'hide function' could be a good idea so people can opt not to see them, and the people who want to see them can do so everybody is happy.
Post edited at 17:48
 Ramblin dave 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

I sometimes find it useful for judging whether someone who I agree with on a contentious issue is getting their point across - if their posts are getting more dislikes than likes then I'll be more inclined to post something backing up their argument than if people seem to be mostly in agreement with them.

Wouldn't object to them being non-anonymous, though.

Also, consistently targeting one person regardless of what they post seems like personal abuse and should probably warrant a warning / ban if the victim is bothered enough by it to complain to the mods.
In reply to Scarab9:

> you post a lot of drivel. I love some of it as do many, it's great for starting a debate, but some of what you put is drivel and not worth posting. This is a risk if you're posting a lot of content, and personally I'd say carry on, but if some people are going to show they don't like the worst posts by disliking. That's perfectly normal.

I agree, you are correct, most of what I post is drivel. This is why I mostly post in 'The Pub' forum as my stuff will die after 7 days.

When away from work, I don't meet a lot of people in real life, other than other dog walkers, and I use this site for idle chit-chat about what ever pops into my furry little brain to get a bit of social interaction. Most if not everybody on here can spot my drivel from genuine questions as the OP Title sums it up quite succinctly.

I have thick skin and can tolerate quite a lot, otherwise I would be in the wrong job. However I can also when people are anonymously using the Dislike button for a purpose. And one or two contributors further up the discussion have taken a look at some of my archived threads and noticed that I tend to get more dislikes that would be expected from some of my OP's or replies. I guess that I am not alone with having my own little band of stalkers. yes I can ignore them, but having over a year of such attention tends to sap at my tolerance.

This OP, as expected, has turned into a game of zapping the dislike button. Yes, I've painted a big Bull's Eye Target on the OP. But what excuse or explanation is there for other threads of mine?

Normally I can ignore all this sh1te, but today it has p1ssed me off. Tomorrow I will wake up and forget about it.

The problem will still be there with the saddo's that stalk me.
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

NO!! that's £52 a year don't give that A.J. Ideas

> Maybe there could be a premium membership of UKC? For a pound a week, sensitive people could have dislikes of their posts hidden.

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> As the site owner I can respond to this!

> I will consider it but at the moment it isn't something that worries me at all. We find them extremely useful from a moderating point of view and I think they have a positive effect on reducing stupid posts. They also make it easy to spot really bad posts and can be very encouraging for those who make good contributions. They also help when scrolling through a thread in finding the most pertinent responses - both positive and negative.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It is much appreciated.

My votes would be for:

1) make the perpetrators visible; most other forums do this, and don't allow anonymous like/dislike
2) add the user option to not see them

3) add 'ignore member'... function.
 planetmarshall 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Anonymous bullying is pathetic. If you dislike my posts have the BALLS to put your name to the Dislike Button.

I would like to register amusement at the irony of someone describing disliking a post as 'anonymous bullying' and then going on to accuse said bully of lacking balls.

Man The F*ck Up, as my mother would say.
In reply to wintertree:

> Also, I've noticed on several occasions that I disliked the first post in a thread without intending to. It seems to happen when swiping a thread on an iOS device. Accidental pressing I guess.

The Like/Dislike buttons now toggle*. So, if you hit it accidentally, it will 'light up'. If you hit it again, it will remove it.

* I think previously, you could cancel a Like by Unlike, and an Unlike by Like.
No if you've Liked something, but hit Unlike, it removes the like and sets Unlike. And vice versa.
 timjones 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Please give some serious consideration to removing the feature of the like and dislike buttons.

> I am getting seriously fed up and disheartened with a small yet dedicated band of people hitting the Dislike button irrespective of what I post. I may be thick skinned, but eventually such open and anonymous hatred gets through.

> Anonymous bullying is pathetic. If you dislike my posts have the BALLS to put your name to the Dislike Button.

> Grown ups tend to post replies explaining why they dislike or disagree, in the form of a discussion.

> I'm sure that I am not alone in this request to remove this controversial and for me, personally insulting feature of the site.

> This is spoiling my enjoyment of the site.

Don't take it personally, it's only the internet and clicking dislike on someones post is not bullying.

You have a history of posts that appear to be designed to provoke some heated debate, if you poke enough people you are inevitably going to upset some of them.
 mike123 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
I disliked your original post out of childish sillyness , however I have liked your 17.55 post as it makes more of an understandable case . I can't really see why they are anonymous.
 timjones 13 Jan 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

> My votes would be for:

> 1) make the perpetrators visible; most other forums do this, and don't allow anonymous like/dislike

This has some merit.

> 2) add the user option to not see them

Unecessary as it is very easy to ignore them if you don't like them.

> 3) add 'ignore member'... function.

IMO this is a somewhat childish solution, if you choose to converse on the internet you need to take the rough with the smooth.

Dax H 13 Jan 2016

> My votes would be for:

> 1) make the perpetrators visible; most other forums do this, and don't allow anonymous like/dislike

> 2) add the user option to not see them

> 3) add 'ignore member'... function.

This is definitely the way forward, most other forums and social media shows the names of the likes and dislikes.
I wouldn't give the option to not have them.
Definitely add an ignore / mute / block button. Hit block on a person and you can not see or reply to them and they can't see or reply to you.
In reply to timjones:

> Unecessary as it is very easy to ignore them if you don't like them.

Clearly, for some people, it isn't... And some people just plain don't like the idea at all.

> IMO this is a somewhat childish solution, if you choose to converse on the internet you need to take the rough with the smooth.

Why? See the earlier comment about idiots in the pub. If they're idiots, I can ignore them. Ideally, I'd exclude them from my pub.
If I can ignore them here, in my virtual pub, I don't have to waste my time reading their rubbish. I see it as a fairly adult reaction.

Again, plenty of other forums offer this feature.
 aln 13 Jan 2016
In reply to john arran:

> Would you be happier if you had the option to turn them off or hide them just for your login?

Personally I don't give a flying f*ck when my posts get dislikes or likes, I think like others have said that they add nothing useful to the site. But you might be onto something there for people it does bother.
Masquerade 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

It puts me off posting too. I'd prefer if the likes and dislikes were no longer anonymous. It's one thing using it as 'agree/disagree' during a political thread, but that is only one tiny fraction of the way the forums are used. In The Pub there are intermittent threads about UKCers themselves ('Forum Legends', 'Poster of the Year' etc) and these used to be a hotbed of conviviality. But being able to click 'dislike' when someone has posted a kind, positive comment about another user is nothing short of 'I dislike that person'. So the dislikes can be - and are - used as anonymous spitefulness.
 Dave the Rave 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

At the end if the day Lem, there's only you, me and about 12 other people on this site who I consider sane. I would buy you a pint
 aln 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

There's another way to look at it. I think maybe some people don't appreciate your shall we say 'unique' and prolific posting, especially folk who aren't so regular on here. Personally I kinda like it, but I've been here a while and got used to it. I think you've had more than your fair share of flak. But most of that flak used to be negative and often insulting posts on your threads, now there's less of that coz they just click dislike instead.
Ignore the dislikes- ignore the @rses.
In reply to The Lemming:

We had this argument months ago, but no one seemed bothered. I think you're right. The worst effect of the Like and Dislike buttons is that they discourage people from being too outspoken, which makes for less interesting and honest discussions. I know in the past when I've said something mildly controversial, and had loads of Dislikes for saying so, I've thought, why bother? Why waste time on UKC? I think loads of people have been driven away (I know dozens). Sad. Even by saying this I'm probably making a mistake, because last time I did so I was accused of 'whining'.

PS. The thread about initiating a swing on a static line is surely one of the most interesting we've seen here in quite a while, and right up to the standards of the good old days c. 10-15 years ago. There are just fewer of them, that's all.
In reply to aln:

One thing that's certainly true is that there are far fewer insulting posts. I think UKC went through a very bad spate of this c. 5-7 years ago, and Alan had to have quite a massive purge.
 Brass Nipples 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd try and remember none of the likes or dislikes are personal, just others agreeing or dusagreeing mostly. Lest that's what I use it for. It's the posts where someone makes a personal attack on someone, that it gets nasty. When a disagreement moves beyond into personal insults. This latter behaviour is one I would consider more of an issue, that can quickly lead to true bullying.

Timmd 13 Jan 2016

> We had the Likes running for several months before we turned on Dislikes and no-one really used them. As soon as they had the option, people started expressing their opinions.

> Alan

Might you consider a 'hide' function for the dislikes and likes?

Jon Stewart 13 Jan 2016

I think they're really shit, partly because of anonymous disliking. It's slightly annoying to put a bit of effort into a post that might have quite a lot of content to get an anonymous response that's a single click that says absolutely nothing and requires no effort. That's not part of a discussion, it's an irritating distraction that adds no value. The like feature isn't as bad (because you don't need to give reasons why you agree with a post that contains that reasons for its conclusion), but it's still crap because it can encourage posters to 'chase likes' rather than just say what they think.

But the idea of identified dislikes is probably worse - it'll just derail every thread with 'why did you dislike me post', or spill over into emails (worse!).

My view: get rid. Second best, allow us to switch'em off.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

You've said it perfectly. It's just so childish and lazy for anonymous posters to click 'Dislike'. Just what does it contribute to the site, except negatively, by acting as a deterrent for people to speak freely?
 aln 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

When I mentioned insulting posts I was referring to those aimed at Lemming. But I take your point, unfortunately the 'purging' you refer to also removed some interesting characters and diluted the banter, especially in the Pub. But it's a fine line with banter online, easily misjudged.
But still, I often wonder how Simon4 gets away with it. People have been banned for a lot less.
In reply to aln:

Good point re latter personage. Some of the bans have been a bit baffling. Sutty being an obvious example.
Andy Gamisou 13 Jan 2016

> Alan had to have quite a massive purge.

Not sure we needed to know this.

aln 13 Jan 2016

Best be careful, discussing banned posters (postees?) is a bannable offence. But yes he was a loss to the forum.
In reply to Willi Crater:

Thanks Willi - you've made me laugh. A lot
 Jon Stewart 13 Jan 2016
In reply to aln:

> But still, I often wonder how Simon4 gets away with it. People have been banned for a lot less.

The people he does his personal insult rants about aren't bothered and don't report it.
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> At the end if the day Lem, there's only you, me and about 12 other people on this site who I consider sane.

Just like Sheldon, I've got a certificate to say that I am sane.

In reply to The Lemming:

> Just like Sheldon, I've got a certificate to say that I am sane.

>

Sheldon ? I know spike had one who is sheldon

> The worst effect of the Like and Dislike buttons is that they discourage people from being too outspoken, which makes for less interesting and honest discussions.

I totally agree with you there. Since the introduction of like/dislike buttons, much of the discussion on this site has either become polarised or sanitised and and stunted. I believe that the dislike button and counter beside them has a subliminally subversive way of stunting conversation by individuals drifting away from the conversation rather than replying and qualifying their statements.

The art of discussion, banter, arguments and insults has died off, as a result.
 Big Ger 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Anonymous bullying is pathetic. If you dislike my posts have the BALLS to put your name to the Dislike Button. Grown ups tend to post replies explaining why they dislike or disagree, in the form of a discussion.

Hello? Someone hitting the "dislike" button is not "bullying" FFS.

> I'm sure that I am not alone in this request to remove this controversial and for me, personally insulting feature of the site.

Someone hitting the "dislike" is not "insulting"

Perhaps you should look into your own role in this debacle first.

> The problem will still be there with the saddo's that stalk me.

Perhaps histrionic bullshit like this is the reason you get so many dislikes? That and the fact that you are so prolific.
Post edited at 20:13
 aln 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I know that Jon. He had a go at you recently that being the better man you didn't rise to. I had a go at him anyway for my own amusement.
Gone for good 13 Jan 2016

> You've said it perfectly. It's just so childish and lazy for anonymous posters to click 'Dislike'. Just what does it contribute to the site, except negatively, by acting as a deterrent for people to speak freely?

Well it helps put Roadrunner in his place. (No offence intended)☺
 timjones 13 Jan 2016

> We had this argument months ago, but no one seemed bothered. I think you're right. The worst effect of the Like and Dislike buttons is that they discourage people from being too outspoken, which makes for less interesting and honest discussions. I know in the past when I've said something mildly controversial, and had loads of Dislikes for saying so, I've thought, why bother? Why waste time on UKC? I think loads of people have been driven away (I know dozens). Sad. Even by saying this I'm probably making a mistake, because last time I did so I was accused of 'whining'.

Surely you can't claim to be truly outspoken or controversial if you let a few dislikes bother you
 timjones 13 Jan 2016

> Clearly, for some people, it isn't... And some people just plain don't like the idea at all.

> Why? See the earlier comment about idiots in the pub. If they're idiots, I can ignore them. Ideally, I'd exclude them from my pub.

Do you own a pub

> If I can ignore them here, in my virtual pub, I don't have to waste my time reading their rubbish. I see it as a fairly adult reaction.

Surely it's our virtual pub rather than yours, mine or anyone elses?

If you don't like a pub you have the option of leaving and finding a better one. At least this one doesn't show non-stop sports coverage on multiple bigscreen TVs

> Again, plenty of other forums offer this feature.

How is it possible to hold any sort of discussion if you can't see some peoples contributions because you've opted to ignore them?

Auz 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Serious suggestion for you here; a line or two of custom CSS will solve the problem for you entirely.

There's a plug-in for chrome here:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleo...

... and the CSS below should do the trick!

```
.messageActions > .btn-group {
display: none;
}
```
Gone for good 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Mine was the 90th dislike. Get over yourself!
In reply to timjones:

> How is it possible to hold any sort of discussion if you can't see some peoples contributions because you've opted to ignore them?

Because I don't reply to everyone, or follow all streams in a thread. And idiots are often ignored by everyone, so don't feature in conversations, other than as idiotic interjections...
Moley 13 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

There's been over 100 likes/dislikes on the OP.
Can we all just leave it and go to bed now. Please.
 Babika 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Moley:

> There's been over 100 likes/dislikes on the OP.

> Can we all just leave it and go to bed now. Please.

I'm not going to bed. I'm watching the footie!
In reply to The Lemming:

Remove the dislike button or make both like and dislike buttons attributable so that you can see who has voted what, in the same manner as is done with photos.

T.
In reply to The Lemming:

I know your pain. I feel horribly victimised when people dislike my comments about the simply incomparable, Skoda Octavia estate.
 timjones 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Remove the dislike button or make both like and dislike buttons attributable so that you can see who has voted what, in the same manner as is done with photos.

> T.

What do you gain by making them attributable?

It will only feed the paranoia of those who are prone to thinking that they have stalkers.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Jan 2016

> Remove the dislike button or make both like and dislike buttons attributable so that you can see who has voted what, in the same manner as is done with photos.

> T.

Is that actually the case?

Chris
J1234 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I think your taking this far too personally.
 DerwentDiluted 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
If no one ever 'disliked' what I posted, I might start thinking I was infallible, which could ultimately lead to the wearing of silly hats and Vatican residence.
Pope Diluted I has a certain ring to it, and you'd be welcome to kiss it 😉
Post edited at 08:46
 Fraser 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Over the piece, I've disliked some of your posts and liked others - probably in an 80-20 / 70-30 split. It's not personal per se, it's just that I either disagree with what you're saying or it's yet another irritating, dumb thread, not always apparent from the title. Sometimes I'll detail why, other times it's quicker and easier (yes, lazier) for me to hit the 'dislike' button.

On others, you sometimes ask for advice on a product or situation. That involves me going to some trouble by posting a reply, which then you frequently ignore or don't acknowledge and just ask more questions till you get a reply that you like or agree with.

Plenty of folk dislike many of my posts no doubt - I'm not really that bothered, so often I seem to not notice the 'scores on the doors'. You can't please all of the people all of the time, and if you're going to be so active on-line and post as much as you do, you have to take the rough with the smooth. In short, there is a solution to the issue, however I suspect it's not a palatable one for you.
 krikoman 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Why not just ignore them, the real question is why does it bother you?

Although confusing sometimes as to what people are actually disagreeing with, isn't that their problem.

Would you feel better if the button said "I agree with what you've just said, but to type that would take a while and I'm only re-stating the views you've just stated" and "I disagree with what you've just said, but to type that would take a while and you know what you've just typed is either bullshit or what ever I write isn't going to change anything. Besides I haven't got time.", buttons?
 mark s 14 Jan 2016
In reply to jkarran:
> I'd prefer they weren't anonymous.

> jk

i dont mind, i voted dislike

but i do like the irony of 100+ dislikes.
Post edited at 09:40
 MrJared 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
My old phone screen use to crash and then random click links on pages, so sorry if I have ever disliked one of your posts. I didn't mean too!!
 veteye 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I've only just read this thread. I've scanned the last third.This is because I should be making more inroads into the great long list of things that I have to do on my day off(including going back into work for one thing, and doing paperwork for work for another). I find this website to be like an addiction and try to limit myself as it "wastes" time that I do not have much of. So I like to use the like and dislike buttons as a way of interacting more quickly, especially at times when someone else has said something that I agree with. As someone higher up the thread has said ,like to me means agree with the thread and dislike means disagree(rather than truly dislike). If the buttons were not there, there may be more repetition of the same sentiment, which would make the threads more tedious.
As regards stalking, I had not even thought about it. Anyone who aims to pull another user down without any real reason must have a rather a sad life. If anything I tend to look forward to reading threads by certain users, you amongst them,along with people like pursuedbyabear,tall clare,timmd,Gordon Stainforth,babika et al. Sometimes it is because I know that there may be a different slant on things and that that poster may actually change my view on things.
So take heart, there are a lot of us out there who bear no grudge, and actually like you posting.

I suspect that attributing likes and dislikes may have something to do with bandwith or size of web.
 Dave Garnett 14 Jan 2016

> I will consider it but at the moment it isn't something that worries me at all. We find them extremely useful from a moderating point of view and I think they have a positive effect on reducing stupid posts.

Doesn't this depend on whether you think a 'dislike' means 'disagree'? I think this is the core of the problem, and maybe it's a generational thing. Like and dislike are such ambiguous yet emotive terms (infantile even, which wouldn't be surprising considering their origin). I quite like lots of people I disagree with about almost everything and I occasionally dislike someone even though I agree with them.

To like or dislike someone you need to have at least some idea who they are, and even to like or dislike what they say is to some extent a personal judgement. On the other hand it may be perfectly reasonable to disagree with the content of a single comment from an anonymous poster.

When you say that dislikes reduce 'stupid posts' that implies that you agree that they aren't simply an expression of disagreement (because obviously you wouldn't want to moderate or remove a post simply because it was controversial).

If I react unfavourably to a post that could because it's a perfectly reasonable argument I happen not to agree with. It could be that it's offensive, or nonsensical, or tedious, or even because the grammar and punctuation are especially poor. Which button should I press?
 Dave Garnett 14 Jan 2016
In reply to veteye:

> I suspect that attributing likes and dislikes may have something to do with bandwith or size of web.

Mindwidth, more like.
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> When you say that dislikes reduce 'stupid posts' that implies that you agree that they aren't simply an expression of disagreement (because obviously you wouldn't want to moderate or remove a post simply because it was controversial).

In the main I think they are used to express displeasure rather than disagreement. That is what makes them useful to moderators since you can find the offensive posts easily and people (hopefully) might realise that their point of view is not acceptable. Strong disagreement should surely result in a response.

> If I react unfavourably to a post that could because it's a perfectly reasonable argument I happen not to agree with. It could be that it's offensive, or nonsensical, or tedious, or even because the grammar and punctuation are especially poor. Which button should I press?

That is entirely up to you. I think you may be reading to much into it all though. If you see the number of views on threads and then tally up the number of likes/dislikes, they are only used by a small fraction of users hence can't be regarded as anything very definitive.

More generally :

On the anonymous or attributed like/dislike function, I strongly disagree that this would be any benefit at all to the forum since I am certain it would lead to paranoia, witch hunts and general nastiness as people tracked down those who had 'disliked' their posts.

One idea we had when adding them, which is probably worth looking at again, is to increase the range of possibilities.

Like - Agree - Useful - Disagree - Dislike

Something like that maybe.

Alan
In reply to veteye:

> I suspect that attributing likes and dislikes may have something to do with bandwith or size of web.

Well it would be possible, but it would certainly slow the forums down, however, as stated above, that isn't my main objection.

Alan
 Offwidth 14 Jan 2016
I think a problem with using likes and dislikes as a moderator is some of the most regular posters state they don't use them (I'd say a good number of your more important users), so you are missing their views. These non-users either tolerate or actively dislike the function (with no wish to press a button when attributed words make the point much clearer). In many ways its a nail in the coffin of good debate. Even if you wholeheatedly agree its nice for the OP if you, say that, or just add +1. Time after time people attribute their reasons in threads such as this but these get bundled up with other reasons (which might in extremis mean the opposite). There is no way we can tell even average intent, especially in complex posts. Karma on UKB does the opposite: its attributed to the person who gives it and specific with reasons and the way it's used is self policing. Persistent offenders like Sloper topped the list even in his slightly more adult UKB guise.

Dislikes ARE used here for active and passive bullying and the lack of visibke action on this looks like you don't care....some of those persistent folk disliking every post Lemming makes should be in breach of site guidelines and if they dont stop, get banned.

I'd like to see you drop them from the forums but a button to turn them off fromour site view ould be a kind compromise.

Finally, it has to be said, this post is just a blatant attempt to steal my record dislikes when I started a similar thread. Lemmings a good chap but this is a low
Post edited at 11:01
Clauso 14 Jan 2016

I think that the buttons have been a great addition to the site. In fact, I'd like to see the functionality extended.

As a new feature request, would it be possible to allow me to automate my dislikes, such that I needn't even bother reading posts, from certain users, in order to click on the 'Dislike' button? It'd save me time, and ensure that I can pursue my feuds more efficiently... Ta.
 veteye 14 Jan 2016

Yes why not go with the 5 states of short response.

Perhaps you could also ration the dislikes in some way.(or am I trolling?)
In reply to Clauso:

My first ever like... (I've never disliked - and never will)!
 Offwidth 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Maybe thats a better way to make the point
 tony 14 Jan 2016

> One idea we had when adding them, which is probably worth looking at again, is to increase the range of possibilities.

> Like - Agree - Useful - Disagree - Dislike

Oh for heaven's sake! If people have something to say, they should say it. If they don't have anything useful to say, I honestly don't see how a menu of options makes life any better for anyone.

veteye 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

I pressed like on your reply,but I do not like functionality. Function is far better and more succinct!
 veteye 14 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:

But it saves time, and avoids another reply that says I agree with you, or I like that idea.
 tony 14 Jan 2016
In reply to veteye:

> But it saves time,

And achieves what? Because the likes and dislikes are anonymous, they make no useful contribution to a discussion. The person who is liked or disliked, or agreed or disagreed with, has no idea what the nature of the like/dislike or the dis/agreement is. As others have pointed out, this is supposed to be a place of discussion. A few likes or dislikes serve no purpose in informing the discussion.
 john arran 14 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:

> A few likes or dislikes serve no purpose in informing the discussion.

If you have a group discussion in person you will get people nodding or shaking their heads, muttering the odd assent or dissent, and it definitely adds to the discussion without necessarily providing more content. It certainly helps to get feedback on whether what is being said is broadly well received or not and buttons certainly have the potential to fulfil that kind of role, even i many think the current format isn't working too well.
 tony 14 Jan 2016
In reply to john arran:

> If you have a group discussion in person you will get people nodding or shaking their heads, muttering the odd assent or dissent, and it definitely adds to the discussion without necessarily providing more content. It certainly helps to get feedback on whether what is being said is broadly well received or not and buttons certainly have the potential to fulfil that kind of role, even i many think the current format isn't working too well.

Hmm, not sure about that. Online discussions are obviously quite different. There's no way to assess body language or tone, or any of the other visual and verbal cues which feed into the kind of discussions you're talking about - online discussions stand alone by the words used in the posts. And if there is a prevailing mood or tone in an online discussion, that quickly becomes apparent from the nature of the posts - anyone spouting arrant nonsense is going to know about it soon enough, as is anyone who comes out the definitive grade for TPS.
 krikoman 14 Jan 2016
> In the main I think they are used to express displeasure rather than disagreement. That is what makes them useful to moderators since you can find the offensive posts easily and people (hopefully) might realise that their point of view is not acceptable. Strong disagreement should surely result in a response.

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of people, me included, are using them for that purpose.

I've been using them in the following context, Like = "Bravo", Dislike = "Bollocks".

It saves me time and no worse than typing, "I totally agree with what you have written."
Which adds nothing to the argument.

If someone writes something offensive I usually take the time to tell them so.
Post edited at 12:07
 krikoman 14 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:

> Hmm, not sure about that. Online discussions are obviously quite different. There's no way to assess body language or tone, or any of the other visual and verbal cues which feed into the kind of discussions you're talking about ..

Which is the whole idea, from my point of view, of the like dislike!! It's a virtual nod of the head or round of applause, depending on how many there are. Or of course a thumbs down or a lot of booing.

It doesn't have to be taken personally.
 Fraser 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Alan James - UKC

> One idea we had when adding them, which is probably worth looking at again, is to increase the range of possibilities.

> Like - Agree - Useful - Disagree - Dislike

How about a traffic light system, expanded to maybe the five options you suggested, ranging from RED for 'strongly disagree'and GREEN for 'strongly agree' (or like)? This might keep it less personal and simply give an overall flavour of the reaction to a particular post.

edunn 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

No more anonymous than everyone posting under a made-up username and not having to give their full address and phone number in their profile.

Like and Dislike buttons can be nuisance, but then getting lots of likes for a comment can be quite rewarding for some (like a little stamp of social approval). The people who take it seriously are the ones who will be most affected by it.

Try posting something really nice or funny and see how many likes you get and how good that makes you feel. If you don't care, then just ignore it.

It is the next step in online communication and is probably here to stay, best thing to do is get a coping strategy.
 tony 14 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> Which is the whole idea, from my point of view, of the like dislike!! It's a virtual nod of the head or round of applause, depending on how many there are.

But I honestly don't see that they achieve that. Apart from the outrageously good or bad posts, few posts attract more than a tiny handful of likes/dislikes, so the numbers are pretty meaningless, and the outrageously good or bad posts will attract genuinely useful written responses.

> It doesn't have to be taken personally.

Quite agree, but it does seem that some users feel personally targetted. I do think it's pretty feeble to use the dislike function to pick on someone, as does appear to be the case. I also think it's a bit feeble to take them seriously, but I haven't been at the wrong end of the dislike button on what appears to be a systematic targetting, so I'm probably not in a position to say how to deal with being picked on as the Lemming feels he has been.

I can eat 50 eggs 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I think you need to pull yourself together or stop using the site.

It's the internet...not bible group.

> In the main I think they are used to express displeasure rather than disagreement. That is what makes them useful to moderators since you can find the offensive posts easily

Isn't that what 'report abuse' is for?

If you want to ease the moderator's job, why not add a 'report abuse' button for each post, rather than the entire thread? Then you'll be notified with razor precision...

...except when people hit the button by accident when scrolling on touch interface devices... at least you have the confirmation page.
 Yanis Nayu 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I think it's obvious that certain people have dislike stalkers and that it's upsetting for them. I don't use the dislike button, if I disagree strongly enough I will post my disagreement in words.

Contrary to what I thought before they were introduced, I think the like button is quite a useful way of gauging opinion.
 LeeWood 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

At least 50% of the threads on UKC thrive on controversy - and if you get dislikes then you've done well to promote discussion !! The other possibility is that you get no reaction - which is much more upsetting. Whjen I skim down a thread and see 137 dislikes it is immediately intruiging - to inquire further

Lead dnf 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

137 dislikes... I think you're in the minority. That must be a record.
 ScottTalbot 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I have to say, I never even see my own likes/dislikes, as I don't generally look at my post again (unless there has obviously been a misunderstanding). I read the posts that have been added to the thread since, but don't even think to look at whether people like my post or not!?!
As for having virtual stalkers.... Really? Is this more a case of inflated self importance? Admittedly, there are a few people on here that take everything far too personally and might give the odd vindictive dislike, but I very much doubt that anyone is so pathetic that they would go around disliking every post you make, just because you'd offended them in some way!?!
OP The Lemming 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> In reply to Alan James - UKC

> How about a traffic light system, expanded to maybe the five options you suggested, ranging from RED for 'strongly disagree'and GREEN for 'strongly agree' (or like)? This might keep it less personal and simply give an overall flavour of the reaction to a particular post.

Or how about taking a few seconds to press a few buttons which compose a few words on the subject?

Is life that short that a few seconds of 'finger pecking' on a keyboard it too much time spent on making a reply?
KevinD 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Lead dnf:

> 137 dislikes... I think you're in the minority. That must be a record.

Or it shows the weakness in the simple like/dislike model.
It could show disagreeing or it could just be people finding it amusing to dislike a post complaining about dislikes.
 ScottTalbot 14 Jan 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> Or it shows the weakness in the simple like/dislike model.

> It could show disagreeing or it could just be people finding it amusing to dislike a post complaining about dislikes.

Which perhaps shows why they shouldn't be taken too seriously.
 balmybaldwin 14 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. There are certain posters that within minutes of them starting a thread or adding a comment to a thread will always accumulate a number of dislikes regardless of how controversial the post is.

It seems that there are people vindictive enough to do this, and Mr Lemming isn't the only victim, there are plenty of others that have acquired dislike stalkers

Another reason to get rid of the feature is that threads about likes/dislikes seem to now be more common than Climbing threads
 veteye 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I think that the two dislikes are saying like me, that you may have the time,but most of us find it quicker to say no, you are wrong.It does take too long to write this when I could have ticked dislike/disagree in less than a second.
 ScottTalbot 14 Jan 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

If there are people on here that are that pathetic, we should just pity them. They will only do it as long as it bothers you though.
 tony 14 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> If there are people on here that are that pathetic, we should just pity them.

How do we do that when we don't know who they are? Unlike you or I and everyone else who types posts, people who only use the like/dislike buttons are immune.
 malky_c 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Sounds great. Can we ensure we get the 'neither agree or disagree' option in the middle?

...what were the options again?
 krikoman 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Have you not thought that there might be people who like you dislike of the dislike button, think of the joy your giving them.

It's not all about you, you know.

Seriously though, your profile gives your age as 10, maybe you should remove the irony.
MarkLogan 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
So, some people don't like some of the things you post and you want the moderators of the forum to change it just so it suits you?

Grow up.
Post edited at 16:09
 pneame 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I really have trouble seeing how the dislike button is bullying! You might as well argue that the like button is sycophancy. For me, at least, being several time zones over, the like/dislike buttons allow an asynchronous nod of agreement or shake of the head - and as Alan said, there are an enormous number of visitors to the site who never contribute at all. But they may be enthusiastic pushers of like/dislike buttons. Who cares? If they don't actually write something it's really a minuscule contribution, about as noteworthy as a gnat bite.
Of course, several hundred gnat bites might be a bit annoying....
I certainly wouldn't feel that the like/dislike buttons going away would be a bad thing.
One of the major annoyances of the modern world is the exhortation to "like us on facebook/twitter/social digital media du jour. I hate to think how many mental processing cycles I've wasted reading that!
 JoeyTheFish 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Somewhat ironically, by complaining about your phantom dislikers, you have seemed only to accomplish a thorough recruitment drive of other users who will now notice your name and proceed to dislike regardless of what you post.

I believe the terminology here is 'facepalm'.
 Fraser 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Is life that short that a few seconds of 'finger pecking' on a keyboard it too much time spent on making a reply?

Frankly, yes! It's all about efficiency. I could have just hit the dislike button there on your post but this has now taken up several seconds of my life I'll never get back.

Remind us again why you don't have any issue with anonymous likes, it's just the dislikes. Sounds like you want your cake and eat it.
Andy Gamisou 14 Jan 2016

> but it would certainly slow the forums down

Umm - not really!

Bootrock 14 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Surely this cant be legit?

Just to let you know, I disliked your post. I am sure you're a nice bloke though.

Andy Morley 14 Jan 2016

> In the main I think they are used to express displeasure rather than disagreement. [...] Strong disagreement should surely result in a response.

Hi Alan,

I would be inclined to question your last assumption. A lot of 'lurkers' stay that way precisely because they lack confidence when it comes to expressing opinions online, so an anonymous 'dislike' button might perhaps give them the opportunity to express disagreement where they would otherwise remain silent. While I recognise that UKC is run by climbing enthusiasts, it also appears to be run on business lines and so I would have thought that content (threads/ contributions) that attracts readers, thereby increasing the audience for advertising, would be at a premium regardless of whether those readers agree or disagree with it. How do you use the 'dislike button' to differentiate the sort of content that alienates readers and and sends them away from the sort of thing that piques them into returning? And do you think that measures which encouraging likehunters and likehunting make for better/ more stimulating content, or the reverse?

Also, what do you do about people who manipulate or abuse this function? Something similar happened 10 years ago in the Friends Reunited site when a political candidate for a elected post in Greater London mobilised large numbers of supporters to 'report' people who questioned him in what he considered to be an unhelpful way. In UKC, the motives might be different but if we take Lemming's account at face value, there is the possibility of similar things going on here.
In reply to Andy Morley:

> How do you use the 'dislike button' to differentiate the sort of content that alienates readers and and sends them away from the sort of thing that piques them into returning?

I think that the most important function of the like/dislikes for me are precisely this - to have better indicators of what the forum is like for occasional or first time visitors. A dubious post stands out far more when the rest of the forum has voted against it with dislikes, and vice-versa. People can see the mood of the forum more easily and this is what I see when I look at threads - they reflect opinion in general, and a couple of misplaced dislikes here and there are completely irrelevant in my book.

> And do you think that measures which encouraging likehunters and likehunting make for better/ more stimulating content, or the reverse?

I don't know the answer to this one. It is true that the huge involving discussions that used to take place on this forum are less common, but the number of people who view the forums seems to have increased - more people posting less, but the topics seem just as wide ranging. From a moderating point of view, it has been considerably easier in the last 2 or 3 years following some stricter policies but I also think that the like/dislike button has had a positive part to play in that.

Alan
 Big Ger 14 Jan 2016
In reply to pneame:

> I really have trouble seeing how the dislike button is bullying! You might as well argue that the like button is sycophancy. For me, at least, being several time zones over, the like/dislike buttons allow an asynchronous nod of agreement or shake of the head

Nailed it there.

As for this idea that one push of a dislike button by someone for a comment, which is all we are allowed after all, constitutes "bullying"is at best stupid, at worse rampant paranoia.

If someone follows others about hitting "dislike" on everything they post, then who is the person with the problem? If anyone finds themselves doing this, they should seek help.
 Dave Garnett 14 Jan 2016
In reply to I can eat 50 eggs:

> It's the internet...not bible group.

Forget like/dislike, now you've gone and pressed the god button.

Is it true to say that it is the off belay forum that generates a lot of L&D's ?
Any merit in removing it from off belay, in the hope that the clickers will move to the pub and a more considered and involved debate will then take place in off belay.
Post edited at 20:42
 Offwidth 15 Jan 2016

One of the main problems in respect of those new to the site is established loadmouths being rude to folk in the beginners forum. Also in terms of advice that might be helpful to newer climbers, some people can't resist putting in a view that they are too ignorant to realise is just wrong. In neither situation are dislike butons indicating anything useful (despite the first being a clear breach of the site rules and common decency) .

The only clear thing I get from dislikes is a solid vocal minority don't like posts complaining about dislikes. Maybe you could give us some examples to show some better information that has come from the use of dislikes?
 Andy Morley 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> The only clear thing I get from dislikes is a solid vocal minority don't like posts complaining about dislikes. Maybe you could give us some examples to show some better information that has come from the use of dislikes?

What do you do if you dislike a post that dislikes people who dislike dislikes?

JJL 15 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

That's hilarious. 168 people took the trouble to dislike your post.

I did too, but only for the comedy value and because most of your post read like a troll!
 johnjohn 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Sorry, that dislike was me. Couldn't resist. Too meta....
 Andy Morley 15 Jan 2016
In reply to johnjohn:

> Sorry, that dislike was me. Couldn't resist. Too meta....

Put it this way:
To the people who hit the 'dislike' button - wtf are you even doing reading stuff that you dislike in the first place? Why not just skip and move on?

To the people who want to see the dislike button removed - if you didn't have it, some of the people who use it might then want to whine about how they dislike some posts, leading people like me to say something like I said just now and so the whole thing would probably snowball, thus diluting the real content.
 CurlyStevo 15 Jan 2016
In reply to johnjohn:
I'd like to dislike and like it. Mods can we have this feature please?
Post edited at 11:39
 mark20 15 Jan 2016
Can we have an 'indifferent' button please
Lusk 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

> To the people who hit the 'dislike' button - wtf are you even doing reading stuff that you dislike in the first place? Why not just skip and move on?

How can you not like something if you haven't read it?!?!
 Rob Exile Ward 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm not sure what 'dislike' achieves. I use 'Like' when someone has said something that I agree with and have nothing more or haven't got time to contribute; if I disliked something I would think about it and post the reason. The two buttons aren't equal and opposite. If someone posted 'Jeremy Hunt is a great bloke and the saviour of the NHS' I would provide reasons for my disagreement; just clicking 'Dislike ' would be a bit pathetic.

Personally I think the only thing *more* pathetic than anonymously pressing the Dislike button is worrying about it. So go ahead, punk, make my day and press it! I truly won't care.
 Andy Morley 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> How can you not like something if you haven't read it?!?!

I just skim stuff and only read in any depth if what I see looks interesting.
In reply to Lusk:

I haven't read today's daily mail

Ive read enough of them in the past to be pretty certain I wouldn't like it if I did...

In reply to Andy Morley:

> I just skim stuff and only read in any depth if what I see looks interesting.

That explains a lot..!

ThunderCat 15 Jan 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> That explains a lot..!

>

Interesting protocol...
 Andy Morley 15 Jan 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> That explains a lot..!

Only a complete muppet would spend his/her time reading stuff they weren't interested in and then disliking it. Probably around 80% of the users of the 'dislike' button fall into that category.
abseil 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

> What do you do if you dislike a post that dislikes people who dislike dislikes?

Dislike it.
In reply to mark20:

meh.
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

yes
 ScottTalbot 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

I use the dislike button quite a lot. If I dislike a post, but can't be arsed to get into a debate about it, I hit dislike. If there's any irony to be had by hitting dislike, I hit it.
I generally don't have massive amounts of time to live my life on here (it is very quiet this week though lol), so use the buttons to quickly express an opinion.
 Andy Morley 15 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> I use the dislike button quite a lot. If I dislike a post, but can't be arsed to get into a debate about it, I hit dislike. If there's any irony to be had by hitting dislike, I hit it.

I did say 80%
 ScottTalbot 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:
> I did say 80%

Post edited at 14:34
In reply to Andy Morley:

> Only a complete muppet would spend his/her time reading stuff they weren't interested in and then disliking it. Probably around 80% of the users of the 'dislike' button fall into that category.

Can I refer the Honorable Gentleman to the question I posted here;

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=632393&v=1#x8211900

The Honorable Gentleman seems reluctant to answer the question.

to try to indicate a bit of satire (even if it is poor)
 Andy Morley 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> The Honorable Gentleman seems reluctant to answer the question.

If I remember correctly, your question wasn't really a question, it was more you wondering in a slightly convoluted way whether or not you ought to be offended by something. It's exactly what the 'dislike' button was invented for!
 douwe 15 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I find the likes and dislikes quite useful with technical questions. It's very easy to spot wrong advice if it gets lots of dislikes.
In reply to Andy Morley:
My thoughts are why invent the dislike button. Your first sentence was really helpful to me, but if I just got a dislike I can only adapt my thoughts based upon how many likes/dislikes I get.

The other thought is 'Was I trying to bully you'.
Post edited at 16:32
 ScottTalbot 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

At least he's finally agreeing that the dislike button has a use...
 Andy Morley 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> My thoughts are why invent the dislike button. Your first sentence was really helpful to me, but if I just got a dislike I can only adapt my thoughts based upon how many likes/dislikes I get.

The trouble is, most people who complain online aren't really any more helpful in what they say than if they just hit a 'dislike' button. This is a realisation that has been developing on the wider Internet for some time, viz the following:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=offended&client=safari&channel=ip...

(Not sure if that link will work for people not using Safari on an iPad - the world holds its breath...)
In reply to ScottTalbot:

It was me who liked your post BTW - nothing other than the fact I appreciated the humour.
 ScottTalbot 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> It was me who liked your post BTW - nothing other than the fact I appreciated the humour.

What, so liking my post doesn't mean you love me? :'(
 Bobling 15 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

A dislike from me, I think on some threads, memorably the one about the guy who was p*ssed off with needle sports as they couldn't price match for a portaledge in just the way he wanted them to, it gives a very useful gauge for where the weight of the forum's opinion lies.

Also when I did once have something less than complimentary to say about your threads you told me in no uncertain terms to go f*ck myself, so I'm quite happy to dislike away anonymously.

Note since then I've grown to like your threads more, and I am not your dislike stalker! I honestly think there are some odd people who have too much time on their hands who go through whole threads disliking every post.
Andy Gamisou 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Bobling:

> I honestly think there are some odd people who have too much time on their hands who go through whole threads disliking every post.

Don't be absurd - it's pretty easy to write a script to do that (can give you the php (or Java) code if you like). Hang on - does this mean I have too much time on my hands? Damn.

OP The Lemming 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Bobling:

> Also when I did once have something less than complimentary to say about your threads you told me in no uncertain terms to go f*ck myself, so I'm quite happy to dislike away anonymously.

Please excuse the temporary pseudo, because for some reason I can't log in with my usual name, however I hope that we have managed to rub along without stepping on each other's toes too much.

marsbar 16 Jan 2016
In reply to wintertree:

If that was me I did have someone disliking every single post of mine no matter if it expressed an opinion or not. I started a thread about having a dislike stalker because it was rather odd behaviour and if I had upset someone that much and not realised I probably should apologise. You and I have disagreed, but you have always explained your case clearly and even persuaded me to think differently on occasion. So I don't think you would be a dislike stalker.

As for the paranoia, you could be right because several people posted to say they had been disliking due to thumbs on mobile phones.

Trangia 16 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I can't see a problem (apart from possible technical ones) with the originator of a "like" or "dislike" being identified. Debate should be open, not anonymous.

Andy Gamisou 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Temp Lemming:

> Please excuse the temporary pseudo, because for some reason I can't log in with my usual name

Oh dear - even your browser dislikes you!

(Only joking - have a commiseratory like).
 Trangia 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Bobling:

> I honestly think there are some odd people who have too much time on their hands who go through whole threads disliking every post.

Nearly 12 hours since you posted and no "dislike"!. The stalker is obviously lazy and not an early riser either
 ScottTalbot 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> I can't see a problem (apart from possible technical ones) with the originator of a "like" or "dislike" being identified. Debate should be open, not anonymous.

If the disliker wanted to debate, they'd type a post. The point of disliking is to disagree, when you can't really be bothered to enter the debate, whether that's for time reasons or whatever...

Trangia 16 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
"The point of disliking is to disagree, when you can't really be bothered to enter the debate, ..."

An utterly pointless contribution to a thread if no reason is given. Dislike what? The author of the post? Part of the post - if so, what part? Or all the post? The spelling? The grammar? The tone of the post? The subject matter of the post? A forum is about discussion, not making meaningless contributions. You are making an assumption when you say "the point of disliking is to disagree" How do you know? Look up the meaning of dislike.

I'm with the OP on this.
Post edited at 15:13
 birdie num num 16 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I like the dislike button.
 douwe 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Dislikes can be very helpful.
If wrong advice is given it is very easy to spot it when the post is given many dislikes. If it's a long threat replies might not get noticed.
In discussions about technical subjects or injury rehab sometimes seemingly helpful advice can be totally wrong. I'm glad there are dislikes for that.
 Trangia 16 Jan 2016
In reply to douwe:

Isn't it even more important that if someone is posting crap advice, then those that disagree come out and openly say so? Simple pressing the "dislike" button is meaningless and unhelpful for the reasons I gave above.
 Timmd 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Isn't it even more important that if someone is posting crap advice, then those that disagree come out and openly say so? Simple pressing the "dislike" button is meaningless and unhelpful for the reasons I gave above.

Yes it is.
 Timmd 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:
> "The point of disliking is to disagree, when you can't really be bothered to enter the debate, ..."

> An utterly pointless contribution to a thread if no reason is given. Dislike what? The author of the post? Part of the post - if so, what part? Or all the post? The spelling? The grammar? The tone of the post? The subject matter of the post? A forum is about discussion, not making meaningless contributions. You are making an assumption when you say "the point of disliking is to disagree" How do you know? Look up the meaning of dislike.

> I'm with the OP on this.

I agree. I think the dislike button can just be anonymous way of going 'bleah' in somebody's direction.
Post edited at 17:04
 Offwidth 16 Jan 2016
In reply to douwe:

Show me a single really good example. I've seen lots of good and bad advice with no 'likeness' and some of both with votes in both directions.
andymac 16 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
Interesting thread.

I must be one of the few who have never clicked the dislike button on you.

Nearly did one night .

I have used the dislike function twice since it appeared .and the like.shotloads,like.

187 dislikes isn't really that bad for one post.
Post edited at 18:28
In reply to douwe:

> If wrong advice is given it is very easy to spot it when the post is given many dislikes.

Not sure I think that's valid for all posts; in part because - in my opinion, yours may differ - the like/dislike buttons lack any real weight as their use is so often trivial.

What you do about this, so that like/dislike carries some meaninhg, I don't know. My first thought would be to remove it for some forums; and I'm still of the (minority, it seems) opinion that there should be some record of clicking like/dislike even if it shows up just as a percentage figure on a profile.

T.

Timmd 16 Jan 2016

Perhaps if it's aim is to help with moderating, the buttons could stay but not light up, so that the message still gets through to them if somebody is being out of order, without the scope for some people being 'dislike stalked' by petty people?
Lusk 16 Jan 2016
In reply to douwe:

> Dislikes can be very helpful.

> If wrong advice is given it is very easy to spot it when the post is given many dislikes.

The best response to bad advice is 'Bollocks' (keeping it short that is)
 douwe 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Recently I remember there was a question about elbow problems and someone suggested stopping climbing for a few months instead of active rehab. Examples of rehab were given further in the thread, so I just disliked the 'stop climbing and wait for it to heal' post and left it at that. I thought the dislikes for that advice were quite right and helpful.

I can imagine always getting disliked for less factual posts or posts containing an opinion could be annoying, yes. Maybe getting rid of the anonymous dislike could be good. Though I don't know how that would work out practically.
OP The Lemming 16 Jan 2016
In reply to marsbar:
>
> As for the paranoia, you could be right because several people posted to say they had been disliking due to thumbs on mobile phones.

Sadly my paranoia has progressed to my temporary pseudo, which to me proves that somebody is singling me out for their own petty reasons. Some would call this harassment and I would be one of them.

Yes it's only two or three individuals but they are relentless in their devotion to stalking me over the last few months.

BTW how is parenthood these days?
Post edited at 21:38
Lusk 16 Jan 2016

My experience of climbers are that they just rip the piss out of each other half the time.
Now now that you've highlighted this dislike thing, loads of them are doing it for the childish/piss taking/silliness/ humour of it.

> Sadly my paranoia...........

Get over it, unless you're on skunk .....
OP The Lemming 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Lusk:

>
> Get over it, unless you're on skunk .....

Yep, I painted a big target on my back and so far have 190'ish fans.

Of course I can tell the difference from a bit of banter on the forums and the odd saddo who needs to get out more.
 Run_Ross_Run 16 Jan 2016

>

> Yes it's only two or three individuals

2 or 3 individuals can do 190 dislikes?

(And this is not a pop at you BTW)

Andy Morley 16 Jan 2016
So for The Lemming, who tells us that he uses these forums as a substitute for a social life, the 'dislike' button is a means of stalking or bullying. For Wintertree, who expresses opinions perhaps almost like a kind of unpaid journalist, dislikes are a 'badge of honour' that tell him that he has touched a nerve. For people who use this site to exchange factual information or advice on climbing, the dislike button is an anonymous way of calling information into question without having to justify that questioning. For the people running this website who are looking to it as a source of customer insight, this simple binary variable that means different things to different people can only be a source of misinformation. And for baffled punters, struggling to get to grips with the absurdities of the online world, the dislike button appears to provide a focus for their frustration.

If Franz Kafka were alive today, perhaps he would write a short story about it. As he's no longer with us, maybe this thread will do instead.
Lusk 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

> If Franz Kafka were alive today, perhaps he would write a short story about it. As he's no longer with us, maybe this thread will do instead.

Maybe one day Mr Lemming will wake up as a beetle on his back and won't be able to type messages on the internet, that should be the end of this particular problem
 ScottTalbot 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> My experience of climbers are that they just rip the piss out of each other half the time.

> Now now that you've highlighted this dislike thing, loads of them are doing it for the childish/piss taking/silliness/ humour of it.

> Get over it, unless you're on skunk .....

Lemming, you've read this ^^ once, now read it again... This is exactly why you're getting dislikes. No matter what you write from this point in, you will get a dislike (not from me I hasten to add, as it's no longer even mildly amusing...) because you've made it pathetically clear that it upsets you! I don't want to sound harsh, but pull your knickers up and stop crying!
 Offwidth 17 Jan 2016
In reply to douwe:
Can you link that? Just did a forum search on "elbow" and "injury" with tons of good advice getting no likes. Some superb advice getting one or two. Good advice geting dislikes but no bad advice getting loads of dislikes ...... seems to prove my point that dislikes are a confused low information response and likes don't correlate well with the posts that deserve it most (as a climbing site... the big like counts tend to be on non climbing threads).

The best solution for good and bad threads is to just say that. Dislikes risk confusion (and just look through these search results they never amount to a consitent clear message).
Post edited at 12:03
 Offwidth 17 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
I take the piss out of mates in general banter but not people I dont know when a big gang is doing it. Banter is between friends, mass dislikes for Lemming when he doesn't enjoy it is playground bullying.

Is the view of UKC really that childish: that someone getting the dislike trail Lemming collected before this thread, who expresses concerns about it publicly, now gets regarded as pathetic??
Post edited at 11:57
 ThunderCat 17 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I think telling people you are hurt and offended by the dislike button is like informing the school bully that you piss yourself whenever someone tickles you. It's pointing out an open goal.

If the dislike function is the biggest problem in your life, then you must have a bloody sweet life. I envy you.

But I don't dislike you...

In reply to Offwidth:

> Can you link that? Just did a forum search on "elbow" and "injury" with tons of good advice getting no likes. Some superb advice getting one or two. Good advice geting dislikes but no bad advice getting loads of dislikes ...... seems to prove my point that dislikes are a confused low information response and likes don't correlate well with the posts that deserve it most (as a climbing site... the big like counts tend to be on non climbing threads).

That's what I would expect. On a thread about politics or music people I'll use Like and very occasionally Dislike for voting up or down a particular view without much thought. It's not important and everyone has an opinion so there are lots of votes. On the other hand if someone is giving serious advice about elbow injuries and I don't have any relevant expertise or experience I won't click either Like or Dislike.

I don't think it is a weakness that Like and Dislike get used in different ways on different threads it makes them more useful.
 douwe 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=632212
First elbow thread I found in the training forum, not entirely sure if this is the one I was referring to, but likes and dislikes seem to work out fine I think.
 Offwidth 17 Jan 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Usefulness requires information. Where is this information as I see almost none (outside threads such as this)... give me concrete examples so that I and others can understand, rather than just keep saying it does this.
 Offwidth 17 Jan 2016
In reply to douwe:

I saw that thread. All likes and dislikes are low numbers on a very improtant topic for climbers. The correlation in terms of usefulness is far from as good as it should be. The disliked thread seems to be based on misreading what the poster said (or disliking their tone).
 marsbar 17 Jan 2016

Its bullying and its childish and cowardly. But its not going to change so you have have to ignore it.

Banter isn't anonymous generally.

Anyway the joys of step parenting a teenager! Its ok at the moment, mock exams caused a series of mini meltdowns but calm has returned. I find it difficult to understand, I never cared that much about the real ones, but its good that she does. I keep reminding myself that teenage behaviour is just normal for teenagers and I think its going ok. Thanks for asking.
 douwe 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

??
So it works but not well enough in your opinion?
The thread that gets the most dislikes clearly states sh*t advice in my opinion; 'I had a nasty case of climber's elbow. Seems fine now. Rest, rest and more rest'.
Anyway it works well enough for me to separate the wheat from the chaff. Lucky me.
 krikoman 17 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I can't for the life of me understand why this bothers you.

Surely acceptance of the fact you are going to get some "Dislikes" is better than pissing and moaning about a few f*ckwits.

I expect to get a number of dislikes, and it's no more than people telling me they have a different opinion to mine.

I know were all different, but if the nasty people won't play nice, maybe you should stay inside and keep away from them.
 Offwidth 17 Jan 2016
In reply to douwe:
No I don't think it works. The number of comments in statistical terms is too low to judge anything much. If you rank quality of thread the one with dislikes is one of the best (IMHO) so in my view the list correlation isnt even great. If you score for quality, as well as rank, the correlation looks to get worse (as most replies with no likes were helpful ... as much as some getting votes). This is on one of the better climbing related threads I saw in terms of evidence to support your case. Seems to me people just think its working, as they like to think they are contributing something. This sort of thing (seeing correlations we want in data that doesn't justify it) is nothing new.
"Perhaps a quick search of the forums would tell you? :P Get an armaid, theraband flexbar, light dumbbell set, and a copy of Dave Macleods book on injury. Your welcome!" ... just 3 dislikes (no likes) was the main thread I was, referring to. The "rest rest rest" thread seems to me to be a real solution .... albeit not the most effcient in speed of recovery (a cold hard truth)

Post edited at 14:06
 Offwidth 17 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:
As opposed to making outside more pleasant; that looks to me a poor option. What do we actually lose if we dump dislikes? (or at least take action and warn consistent dislike stalkers and ban those who continue regardless). Its best to deal with childish bullies, not to do nothing and tell those suffering their attention to toughen up.
Post edited at 14:08
 bouldery bits 17 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

This is a non-issue at worst.

Lemming - I tend to think your posts are sensible. Ignore the 'dislikers'. Taking stuff on the internet too seriously can be extremely damaging to your well being and perspective!

Andy Farnell 17 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming: As someone who has collected the occasional 'dislike' I view them as a badge of honour. If I've pissed people off it's their problem, they can deal with it. Man up and take it on the chin.

Andy F

Timmd 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> I take the piss out of mates in general banter but not people I dont know when a big gang is doing it. Banter is between friends, mass dislikes for Lemming when he doesn't enjoy it is playground bullying.

> Is the view of UKC really that childish: that someone getting the dislike trail Lemming collected before this thread, who expresses concerns about it publicly, now gets regarded as pathetic??

I think it might be the depersonalising nature of the internet as much as anything?
 deepsoup 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:
That and the Lemming's posting style looking to the casual observer exactly like a serial troll, ie:

Start new thread with topical, ideally devisive, title.
Open thread with vacuous observation or question, "discuss".
Seldom bother to respond to any posts in that thread.
Start new thread on different topic.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat...
 Timmd 17 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:
Who knows? I don't suppose it's worth getting annoyed about *, whatever the truth.

*I'm not saying you do etc...
Post edited at 21:17
OP The Lemming 17 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> That and the Lemming's posting style looking to the casual observer exactly like a serial troll

To the casual observer.

However I've been on this site since 2002. Not so causal.
 Timmd 18 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:
It's not like he does any harm, it's threads in down the pub which vanish which people don't have to read if they don't want to.

It's only an internet forum.
Post edited at 00:08
 FactorXXX 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

It's not like he does any harm, it's threads in down the pub which vanish which people don't have to read if they don't want to.

Swings and roundabouts though isn't it.
The Lemming has quite gleefully admitted that he is a bit of a Troll when it comes to the threads he has initiated.
So, bearing that in mind, why shouldn't other UKC'ers play him at his own game and Dislike his threads?

Timmd 18 Jan 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:
I guess if somebody wants to find a reason for disliking somebody's posts and threads they're going to, if it's that they sometimes troll or some other reason, but if it's bothering anybody that seems like a pretty good reason to stop.
Post edited at 01:30
 thomasadixon 18 Jan 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

It's not really playing him at any game though, he posts threads on stuff he doesn't know that much about and is interested in to try and start a discussion. Most people don't start threads at all. Seems a bit mean to dislike him for that.

Don't be put off Lemming.
 FactorXXX 18 Jan 2016
In reply to thomasadixon:

It's not really playing him at any game though, he posts threads on stuff he doesn't know that much about and is interested in to try and start a discussion.

If that was true, then I would agree with you 100%. However, as he has admitted himself, a lot of his threads are started because he is deliberately trolling.
I haven't Disliked any of his posts (or any other persons), but it's not hard to see why some would Dislike some of his posts for that reason.

Offwidth 18 Jan 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

So in summary

Seemingly no one can show any consistent examples on how likes and dislikes match post quality, despite all the protestations that this IS the case. Even a single good example (that you would expect from random) seems to be tricky to track down.

Several folk feel Lemming is a fair bullying target because he starts discussions with some nebulous percieved ill intent.

The mob want to keep their comfort buttons irrespective of evidence that they appear to be pretty meaningless except in terms of the alledged mass irony of disliking posts that ask for the dislike button to go.
 MG 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> So in summary

> Seemingly no one can show any consistent examples on how likes and dislikes match post quality,

You wouldn't expect that - they aren't a quality rating. It's clear that posts having widespread support or agreement get lots of likes and those where people dislike what is being said get lots of dislikes. This gives a feel for where the weight of opinion is, so in that sense they serve a purpose.
OP The Lemming 18 Jan 2016
In reply to thomasadixon:

> It's not really playing him at any game though, he posts threads on stuff he doesn't know that much about and is interested in to try and start a discussion.

That is exactly what I do.

Over the years I have discovered so much by asking about stuff which I knew nothing about. What's the point of asking a question if you already know the answer?
In reply to FactorXXX:

> It's not really playing him at any game though, he posts threads on stuff he doesn't know that much about and is interested in to try and start a discussion.

> If that was true, then I would agree with you 100%. However, as he has admitted himself, a lot of his threads are started because he is deliberately trolling.

No, I disagree. I ask questions as I like interesting discussions about things which I don't know about. This does not mean that I am Trolling though.

And when I am feeling mischievous then I stick to obvious non climbing subjects which can be spotted a mile away, and even then the discussion can turn quite interesting where I learn something new.
 Offwidth 18 Jan 2016
In reply to MG:

Give us clear and consistent examples on climbing threads then. Everyone supporting the buttons says this, so it cant be that hard.
 MG 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

You can do this yourself quite easily - which is the whole point of the buttons! The first post here clearly has a lot of support, for example
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=632655
 JR 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm fairly agnostic to them, but there's plenty of examples on here where people clearly have used it to agree/disagree with a position: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=617833
 Offwidth 18 Jan 2016

It seems its a depressingly common view on UKC that someone regularly having fun or freindly mischeif means they are regarded as fair game for a few sad morons to make a bullying dislike response to everything they post.
 Mike Stretford 18 Jan 2016

> No, I disagree. I ask questions as I like interesting discussions about things which I don't know about. This does not mean that I am Trolling though.

> And when I am feeling mischievous then I stick to obvious non climbing subjects which can be spotted a mile away, and even then the discussion can turn quite interesting where I learn something new.

It's hard to differentiate the two, because for the former you don't seem to bother with any basic research. You seem to favour this childlike posting style, and tend not to engage with people who sincerely respond. The fact that sometimes you do post in a normal adult style (mostly techie threads) may lead others to think you are being insincere.

In reply to Offwidth:

I completely agree. The sad thing for me is that those few and persistent dislikes at the outset of some of my topics have killed them stone dead.
 Offwidth 18 Jan 2016
In reply to JR:

So explain where the dislikes came from on the OP. I watched the thread grow they were retrospective mob mentality not a response to what Mitch said in the original post. Its also about as controversial as climbing threads get yet only manages responses in the 30s. The likes do seem to work better than on most threads I've seen (albeit plenty of good points are made that are 'likeless') but my main concern was always the utility of dislike buttons on UKC. Consistent clear evidence or the best of a bad bunch?
 Offwidth 18 Jan 2016

I doubt that. Threads with good potential and no dislikes regularly die young.
 Offwidth 18 Jan 2016
In reply to MG:

Not a climbing thread as such and the dislikes show no clear pattern and number 2 at most.
J1234 18 Jan 2016

> No, I disagree. I ask questions as I like interesting discussions about things which I don't know about. This does not mean that I am Trolling though.

>

I have done a lot of this in the past, and not quite so much now. It is quite dispiriting how people do not even like you asking a question. Possibly they do not like a challenge to their world view, or possibly they do not realise that they do not have to read nor reply to postings.

krikoman 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Its best to deal with childish bullies, not to do nothing and tell those suffering their attention to toughen up.

The Lemming's approach to this was to "go a pick on someone else" !!! see what I mean about growing up a bit, victim bait is another word I might use.
 Offwidth 18 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:
Being childish (a subjective issue if we have fun) and encouraging bullies are different levels of problem for the site. I'm sure some people think many of my posts and yours are childish. Are you victim bait? 28 dislikes from the JR linked thread (impressively beating Mitch given the subject):

"Pegs and mats what the f*ck is wrong with you? The reason your route don't get much traffic is because people are voting with their feet. Who wants to climb something that's been crated by a f*ckwit. You seem to be wanting some sort of adulation for your good work and now you're not getting it, you think everyone else is in the wrong."
Post edited at 10:37
 krikoman 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> It's hard to differentiate the two, because for the former you don't seem to bother with any basic research. You seem to favour this childlike posting style, and tend not to engage with people who sincerely respond. The fact that sometimes you do post in a normal adult style (mostly techie threads) may lead others to think you are being insincere.

I just gave this a "like", which is exactly why some people might be disliking The Lemmings threads out of spite (not me I hasten to add, though I do use both like and dislike to agree or disagree with what's been written).

On more than one occasion The Lemming with write something like, "my blah blah blah isn't working does anyone know how I can make it better?". I've given suggestions and asked questions about what he's actually trying to do, in the vein, "What version of blah blah have you got? If you try Blah what happens?

I spent quite a lot of time offering suggestions and asking further questions to aid me in helping him, all of which because I got no reply was a waste of MY time. My be he doesn't like me and chooses to ignore what's been written, but I notice the same pattern repeated many times with lots of people, so quickly decided it wasn't me.

I quickly learnt my lesson and didn't bother, leaving the issue for others to deal with, often noticing they suffered the same treatment I had.

I concluded from this that The Lemming wasn't really interested in solutions or answers to his posts, but that he just like posting, lots!!

I'm sure he's a very nice chap but type on a forum is very different from face to face conversation.
 MG 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
You don't think 25 likes to zero dislikes says anything at all about general opinion of the OP? Fine, we disagree. You are clearly going to object about every example you are given.
Post edited at 10:43
 krikoman 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
> Are you victim bait?

No because I choose not to be, a couple of people Disliking what I've written isn't really going to bother me much, in the scheme of things.

And while my comment above might not have been very polite, I wasn't the only one who seemed to think Mitch was looking more for adulation than for praise for information on putting up a new route. The whole tone of that thread was about Mitch and not about climbing (but let's not do that one again as I pretty sure it's been resolved)

My comment was quit a long way down well done on the detective work
I tend to work on percentages anyway so for my particular comment 11 to 28 roughly 2/3 of the people didn't like what I'd posted.
For Mitch though 4-28 not quite so good at 1/7.
Meanwhile Colin comment above mine 33 to 0, 100% liked

Which pretty much sums up the whole thread, or at least people opinion for that thread.

I suppose it might boil down to how you use UKC, it's a distraction for me, something I do when I should be doing something else (work for instance!!). I see it as a bit of fun, with people who I might meet down the pub; I type as I would speak, obviously the tone is missing from the text.
Post edited at 11:06
In reply to krikoman:

> I spent quite a lot of time offering suggestions and asking further questions to aid me in helping him, all of which because I got no reply was a waste of MY time. My be he doesn't like me and chooses to ignore what's been written, but I notice the same pattern repeated many times with lots of people, so quickly decided it wasn't me.

When I ask a technical-ish question, I try my best to thank everybody who takes the time to respond. However in your situation this does not appear to be the case and I apologise for this. To be honest, I actually enjoy reading your posts on mine and other people's topics as I find them interesting and informative.

Its very hard to communicate in a text only environment where we can't rely on the subtleties of body language, tone of voice or even facial expressions. All we have is our own personalities and the text burned onto our screens. This obviously creates confusion and barriers and if you throw in a dose of varying academic abilities along with a Like/Dislike button then the confusion and resentment can quickly foster and fester.
 Offwidth 18 Jan 2016
In reply to MG:
You are answering your concerns not mine. My beef on these threads (and request for information on any evidence showing the benefits of dislikes on climbing threads) is because I think use of dislikes is damaging the site (a climbing site) with degrees of negativity that at times looks very much like bullying; with no visible gains that I can see. I think the benefit of likes are overstated but they really amount to mostly harmless fun.
Post edited at 11:17
 krikoman 18 Jan 2016

> Its very hard to communicate in a text only environment where we can't rely on the subtleties of body language, tone of voice or even facial expressions. All we have is our own personalities and the text burned onto our screens. This obviously creates confusion and barriers and if you throw in a dose of varying academic abilities along with a Like/Dislike button then the confusion and resentment can quickly foster and fester.

I agree, best advice I can give is take no notice.
 Reaver2k 18 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

For anyone who cares, and happens to use Google Chrome, I just whipped up a tiny extension to hide the buttons and the likes/dislike statistics.

The code is open source at the following address:
https://github.com/alansaul/UKC-Extensions

Just click "Download Zip", unzip it, navigate to "chrome://extensions/" in your browser, enable "developer mode" and then drag and drop the remove_likes.crx file into the page and it should ask if you if you want to install it.

Either that, or just cover the like/dislike buttons with your index finger whilst you peruse UKC.
 Andy Morley 19 Jan 2016
FFS people - yes, the dislike button is a pretty crap feature. But you are pretty naive if you don't realise that in life, there are other people who will not like you, even when it's for no good reason. Expose yourself to the Internet and a whole load of random people are going to dislike you a whole load more, and that's just life. It ain't fair - get used to it!

For that reason, if none other, the dislike button is a useful reminder of reality for the more naive souls amongst you.
 Offwidth 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

This isn't the internet its UKC. If its a crap feature that harms some and does no visible good, pressure the site to get rid of it. All this 'man up' stuff and welcome to 'reality' is pathetic machismo. Life deals enough problems without a favorite web forum adding to them.
Clauso 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

... That said, he really needs to get a grip.
 Sir Chasm 19 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Removing the buttons won't really help you now. If you've convinced yourself that there really is a "small yet dedicated band of people hitting the Dislike button" on your posts then removing the button doesn't remove those people, they still won't like your posts and surely you can't now pretend they don't exist like some childish game of peekaboo?
 deepsoup 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Nonsense. Lots of forums have upvotes and downvotes, 'karma', that kind of thing. The also have different cultures of posting - some are much more friendly than UKC, others even more belligerent and argumentative. It strikes me that many of your own posts here would be clearly unacceptable on the more touchy feely ones, horses, courses etc.

If you want rid, it isn't "the site" you need to pressure, it would be Alan. He's made it clear above that he's happy enough to keep them, for now at least ( http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=632503&v=1#x8213030 ), and I rather think he's right. Having been a tad sceptical when the likes and dislikes were introduced, I've come to rather like them now and I'd miss them if they went.

Reaver2k has been kind enough to offer a solution to Google Chrome users who don't want to see them above. If the Lemming, thick skinned attention seeking little rodent that he seems to be, is genuinely upset by them there is a clear solution for him there. Maybe someone else tech-savvy might find the time to do similar for Firefox.
 steveriley 19 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Perhaps it would cheer everyone up if the buttons were a simple ^ and V
It's the whole verbalising of 'I don't like you', combined with the implied death threat of the Roman Emperor's thumb down gesture. Heck there's more to this than I thought.
 krikoman 19 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Reaver2k has been kind enough to offer a solution to Google Chrome users who don't want to see them above. If the Lemming, thick skinned attention seeking little rodent that he seems to be, is genuinely upset by them there is a clear solution for him there. Maybe someone else tech-savvy might find the time to do similar for Firefox.

New Topic - I'm having trouble installing Google Chrome can anyone help?

Cue - numerous dislikes.
 deepsoup 19 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:
> can anyone help?

Not me I'm afraid, I'm a tech numpty.
I'm sure somebody can, but I suspect you're going to have to be a bit more specific.

krikoman 19 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Not me I'm afraid, I'm a tech numpty.

> I'm sure somebody can, but I suspect you're going to have to be a bit more specific.

I was joking, the post was on behalf of Mr. Lemming, who is often keen on a techy post, so he gets two bites of the cherry.
 deepsoup 19 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:
Dur! Of course you were joking. I'm not a tech numpty, I'm just a numpty!
 Offwidth 19 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:
My proposed position was for those who don't like dislike buttons. Doing nothing (manning up, or whatever) if that is your view, is IMHO lazy and possibly stupid. I'm more than happy that Alan will review matters sensibly over time and also that if those of who don't like dislikes cannot get our arguments over with evidence he may well stick with them. I acknowledge I can be forceful at times... that is a UKC tradition... as long as its not nasty or otherwise against site rules; I don't want to take part in a cotton wool forum but expect posters to stand by what they say.

If you read my posts, karma (as used on't'other channel) solves all my real issues: its attributable to the user, with reasons required and with tit for tat explicitly against the rules. They said Facebook would use dislikes as most users supposedly wanted them and yet Facebook saw sense after they looked at the evidence elsewhere.

Reeves solution is for ostriches, not intelligent people with an issue to solve.
Post edited at 14:34
 ScottTalbot 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Reeves solution is for ostriches, not intelligent people with an issue to solve.

Unfortunately, it will probably take copious amounts of therapy to solve this particular issue, so Reavers approach is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

OP The Lemming 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
> I don't want to take part in a cotton wool forum but expect posters to stand by what they say.

I too want this.

And over the years I have tried to stand by what I've posted. I've even accepted and owned up to the stupid and indefensible posts made while drunk on a Friday night. Through it all I kept the same pseudo, took what ever on the chin, apologised, shouted at, agreed or disagreed through conversation.

The overall length of this discussion has shown a bewildering variety of perceived purposes for those two little innocuous buttons at the bottom of the page.
Post edited at 14:53
 Offwidth 19 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Not enjoying bullying is a normal human response, and calling it what it is and standing up to it is the correct adult approach. In Lemmings case It seems to be a handful of people and not especially extreme but it's real and needs dealing with.

The Ivanator 19 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Get rid of buttons? No, no ...add more:
* Bovvered
* Numpty
* Man Up
* Punter
* Troll
* Willy Waver
* Stalker
* Wot you done on grit?
From here I can see the dawn of a new convenience culture age of UKC bullying.
 Offwidth 19 Jan 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

You forgot * victim bait, *asking for it ... etc
 krikoman 19 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Dur! Of course you were joking. I'm not a tech numpty, I'm just a numpty!

See!!! that's the trouble with text

krikoman 19 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> Unfortunately, it will probably take copious amounts of therapy to solve this particular issue, so Reavers approach is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Or indeed a click with an angry mouse.
 ScottTalbot 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Not enjoying bullying is a normal human response.

Agreed!

I do think however, that Lemming and your good self, and probably a few others, are perceiving bullying where there is none. You are CHOOSING to read more into the dislike button than is there, in my humble (or not) opinion.

I disliked your post btw. Nothing personal, I just don't agree with your point.

Mike Stretford 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Not enjoying bullying is a normal human response, and calling it what it is and standing up to it is the correct adult approach. In Lemmings case It seems to be a handful of people and not especially extreme but it's real and needs dealing with.

You are right, he must have some persistent dislike stalkers, there's innocuous posts that get double digit dislikes. However, that doesn't mean his own indulgences don't also prompt dislikes.

I have disliked some of his posts, a handful, were I would respond to other people. That's because experience has taught me he will not engage.

I wouldn't have thought an algorithm to pick out dislike stalkers would be too hard to put together.
Removed User 19 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> I disliked your post btw. Nothing personal, I just don't agree with your point.

Wouldn't the solution be to simply change the buttons to 'agree' & 'disagree'? Then there's much chance of inferring hostility.

(apologies if this has already been suggested - 250 posts is too much to get through on my tea break).
 krikoman 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Not enjoying bullying is a normal human response, and calling it what it is and standing up to it is the correct adult approach.

But what about the busy people who don't really have time to type something, yet want to register their disagreement with what's been written?

It's alright for those who have lots of time to spend on here, telling others the should write a response rather than press the button.

Also, what if I've nothing else to say that hasn't already been said, in that case you get a thread full of "What he said" or a load of repeated comments, with "bravo" or "well said" added to the end.

I'm all for making the voters visible, but then you run the rise of the, "why did you dislike what I said?" taking over.

Isn't is easier to accept there some people who are never going to like what you say? I know I do and have to and I'm pretty certain I know who votes my comments down when they do it, but so what? I don't come on here to be liked, I come here to spout shite and have a little fun, and sometime to help, and sometimes to ask for help.

If the dislike was renamed disagree this might be a better option.
 ScottTalbot 19 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't think changing the names of the buttons does anything. They would still be used in exactly the same way. It's people's personal perception of the buttons that needs to change, and only they can do that themselves.
 Andy Morley 19 Jan 2016

> The overall length of this discussion has shown a bewildering variety of perceived purposes for those two little innocuous buttons at the bottom of the page.

You're missing the point Lemming. There's a lot of people who would probably agree with you on that. But UKC is only a small-scale operation, I would have thought. Multi-nationals and large corporations like credit-card providers have whole departments and huge budgets for customer insight. If UKC has even heard of the term, it probably doesn't even have a budget, it probably gets done on the back of something else and so a like/ dislike button is realistically the best they're going to be able to do, crap though it is.

But the point you are missing is that the reality behind the dislikes won't go away if someone removes the button, though it will change how it presents slightly. Several people have told you that but you still don't seem to be getting it. Fixate on something else - this really isn't worth it.

In reply to krikoman:

>
> If the dislike was renamed disagree this might be a better option.

How about 'agree' and 'disagree'?

These are a little less ambiguous than like or dislike.

You will never really be sure what is either being agreed or disagreed with however it could be more conductive to a discussion?

There we go! Problem solved.

We'll all now call them agree/disagree buttons, understand they are responses to an individual post, not a poster, and there is no cause for any offence to be taken.

Now let's move on...
 nufkin 19 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> It's people's personal perception of the buttons that needs to change, and only they can do that themselves

But dislike and disagree do mean different things, and would affect people's reactions to the responses of others
 douwe 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

I find it ironic that you have decided to pick up the glove for 'those who are suffering' from the dislike button on this site which they should be able to enjoy without 'toughening up'. And meanwhile you confess to being forceful at times and immediately excuse that as 'that is a UKC tradition'. You keep demanding pseudo scientific 'evidence' for the usefulness of likes and dislikes from those that tell you they like the option. And if answers are given discard them as being meaningless and not relevant. Discredit those who do like the like/dislike button as 'The mob' who 'want to keep their comfort buttons'. Call people's suggestions 'lazy and possibly stupid' and their solutions 'for ostriches not intelligent people'. It seems to me that if you expect the participants of this forum to be able to handle all that, they sure should be able to handle getting a virtual 'dislike' for their post.
 ScottTalbot 19 Jan 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> But dislike and disagree do mean different things, and would affect people's reactions to the responses of others

Not in this context they don't. I dislike your post, I disagree with your post. Same thing!
 Reaver2k 19 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

I've just made a version for Firefox. Again it will just strip the like and dislike buttons and statistics.

The code is again open source at the following address:
https://github.com/alansaul/UKC-Extensions

Click "Download Zip", unzip it, navigate to "about:addons" in firefox, click the little clog button with the arrow, click "Install Add-on from File", navigate to where you unzipped and choose the "remove_likes-0.0.6-fx+an.xpi" file, and accept the installation.

Enjoy, or don't :P
 deepsoup 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Reaver2k:
I just gave it a try, works perfectly. But I won't be using it, and I don't suppose the Lemming will bother to thank you.
Rather brilliant, all the same.
In reply to Reaver2k:

> Enjoy, or don't :P

I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Watching Marvel Agents of Shield at the moment.

Cheers

The New NickB 19 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> Not in this context they don't. I dislike your post, I disagree with your post. Same thing!

I would say it is perfectly possible to like a post that you disagree with and the the same extent you see dislikes on posts that are impossible to disagree with.
 krikoman 20 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> I would say it is perfectly possible to like a post that you disagree with and the the same extent you see dislikes on posts that are impossible to disagree with.

I just disliked your post, but it was purely for comedy value, I do apologise.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to douwe:
There is nothing ironic about choosing to tackle bullies. Lemming clearly has some dislike stalkers and doesn't enjoy it. Its not OK to bully people because they behaved less than perfectly.

Being forceful (sometimes) to people who claim on UKC that they enjoy robust argument is a good distance from bullying behaviour and so is also not ironic. I (and most of those I argue with) defend beginners and others who face inappropriate aggressive posting. What IS ironic is that it's the vocal supporters of 'dislike' buttons that are making claims (psuedo scientific or whatever) that the button benefits the site, based on no demonstrated evidence ... the arguments made in response to my requests for evidence were based on a couple of threads with clear evidence that 'likes' worked to some extent; I acknowledged this evidence (but still question the significance) . My beef is with dislikes.

Again you misrepresent me on the lazy and possibly stupid point. Its some of the people who don't like 'dislike' buttons I was accusing: if they are genuinely concerned with the negativity and occasional bullying but just "man up" and ignore them. Ignoring something you think is a problem is an Ostrich mentality. On the mob point... ducks and quacking... in the face of evidence.

The subject has had mass-media coverage linked to columnists, psychologists, anti-bullying groups etc becuase of Facebook changing its mind: the mob wanted it, Facebook looked and decided to do things a different way.

Changing dislike to disagree sounds to me like a step in the right direction.
Post edited at 09:56
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

The arguments for the 'dislike' because you can't 'like' a sad post (etc) was always bogus. One person expresses sympathy in words and everyone else can like that.

'Like' has been used on social media for bullying in a similar sense (liking spiteful unwarranted posts) and 'agree' could be used that way as well. Bullies can be resourceful in their meaness but still should be challenged.
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> 'Like' has been used on social media for bullying in a similar sense (liking spiteful unwarranted posts) and 'agree' could be used that way as well. Bullies can be resourceful in their meaness but still should be challenged.

UKC is not really 'social media', at least not in the modern sense, it's an old-style bulletin board. So if you share that perspective, 'bullying' is an irrelevant concept. OK, so a few people use UKC as a substitute for a social life, but in actual fact, anyone contributing in a forum of this kind is an unpaid journalist. By that token, if UKC wants to be like Hello magazine in its tone, then 'dislikes' are a sign of a 'bad' journalist. But equally, 'dislikes' could be seen as a sign of a good/ effective journalist if UKC aims to be a more stimulating read.
 The New NickB 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

I know, just disagreeing that different words mean the same thing. I'm not a fan of the dislike button and don't use it.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:
I don't share that perspective. UKC forums are not a bulletin board in disguise, they provide a genuine wide-ranging web forum and in my experience most posting here is social (just look at the traffic on the pub forum disappearing for ever.... but even in climbing forums there is lots of chat). Bullying, nasty trolls and general bad behaviour on web forums is widespread and UKC is not immune but better at dealing with this than most and my wish is for that situation to continue.
Post edited at 10:49
 Sir Chasm 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Is everyone who presses the dislike button on a Lemming post bullying Lemming?
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> I don't share that perspective. UKC forums are not a bulletin board in disguise, they provide a genuine wide-ranging web forum and in my experience most posting here is social (just look at the traffic on the pub forum disappearing for ever.... but even in climbing forums there is lots of chat). Bullying, nasty trolls and general bad behaviour on web forums is widespread and UKC is not immune but better at dealing with this than most and my wish is for that situation to continue.

Of course, 'social media' is a very loose term, and is as much to do with the user as the platform. But if you look at the business model behind UKC, as far as it can be made out by a casual observer, it looks to be journalism and advertising-driven to me. If you accept that, then it might explain why those people who try to use UKC as a social medium might struggle a bit. And they do struggle - this thread provides plenty of evidence of that.
 Phil Anderson 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

> UKC is not really 'social media', at least not in the modern sense, it's an old-style bulletin board. So if you share that perspective, 'bullying' is an irrelevant concept.

I used to use the "old-style bulletin boards" a lot and I saw plenty of bullying going on there, the level of which varied depending on which board you were in.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Part of the business model is traffic based advertising revenue. The forums being more than a bullitin board is where a significant amount of the traffic comes from. The users benefit as they can be involved in more discussions of interest to climbers.
Removed User 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

I've bitched about the horrible message board/bbs format we use here for ages, the official response I had was that this board is mostly populated by oldtimers who don't want a modern ukbouldering style forum.

I just treat these boards as a 'comments section' most of the time, a lot of the articles and news that they repost is often posted days after it's released everywhere else so unless it's their gear reviews or articles written by ukc staff it's not often there's much here to read.

As for it being advertising driven: you get autobanned for using words like a-d-b-l-o-c-k, or at least I have been, when giving advice to a person on how to secure their computer.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

No (covered several times in my posts above), and especially not on the OP of this thread.
 Sir Chasm 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Could you post a few examples where you feel someone has been bullied by use of the dislike button?
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Clinger:

> I used to use the "old-style bulletin boards" a lot and I saw plenty of bullying going on there, the level of which varied depending on which board you were in.

Bullying is in the eye of the beholder. Lots of people here say they see 'dislikes' as a 'badge of honour' (you can search that phrase if you want). To me, that's not 'bullying' - dislikes and other adverse reactions are usually a sign of a piece of writing that's made people stop and think or question their assumptions, and so it makes them feel uncomfortable.

Like I said, if UKC aims to be like 'Hello' then that's bad, otherwise it's good.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Also covered in my posts... those who are dislike stalking.
 Sir Chasm 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
So some of the 260 dislikes to the op are bullies because the Lemming has decided they (how many?) do it on every one of his posts (this is clearly wrong, some of his posts have no dislikes)?
They could all be different people, let's not pretend we know who is pressing the buttons (or why).
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Bullying sure is in the eye of the beholder but not in the way you imply. I've seen some claim dishonestly (dishonest people do dishonest things... shock news) but this doesn't mean we assume dishonesty first and not take accusations seriously.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:
No. To be clear, as you seem to be struggling... a handful of bullies are stalking him on most other threads. A lot of the dislikes here on the OP are attempts at humour (many said so) where people shouldn't give up the day job and quite a few others will have reasons I can think of that don't involve bullying. I suspect (but can't know) very few with bullying intent from the 250.

I partly enjoyed having the record pre Lemming on a similar post (despite a genuine wish to see the end of the 'dislike' button) but having been involved in the quite common fun group teasing of climbers in the past I know this isnt always the way it's received... some have told me privately that the laughter was false and they wish the teasing would stop. So my maxim would be if in doubt be nice...don't dislike and play the ball not the man.
Post edited at 12:19
 Mike Stretford 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I think this is a good example

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=632465&v=1#x8212506

It's odd that got 10 dislikes, as a thread it's innocuous and obviously interesting to some. Nothing irritating in the OP.
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Also covered in my posts... those who are dislike stalking.

For every clear and unequivocal case of 'stalking' there's 10, 20, 100 cases maybe of people who decide for whatever reason to claim that they're being 'stalked'.

People who work with victims of domestic violence will tell you that many of those people move from one abusive relationship to another. While that does not mean that they are imagining it and it does not mean that domestic violence is OK, it does tend to demonstrate that it takes two to tango.

There's a whole popular mass-movement that's been going on for decades now that claims it's being bullied in some way every time it encounters a point of view it doesn't like. I wonder how many users of the dislike button might themselves claim that they've been 'offended' in some way by being subjected to a perspective they can't deal with? Maybe they see themselves as victims? It woudn't surprise me.
In reply to Andy Morley:
> Bullying is in the eye of the beholder. Lots of people here say they see 'dislikes' as a 'badge of honour' (you can search that phrase if you want). To me, that's not 'bullying' - dislikes and other adverse reactions are usually a sign of a piece of writing that's made people stop and think or question their assumptions, and so it makes them feel uncomfortable.

I understand, and I don't disagree with that.

I simply disagree with your assertion that bullying is irrelevant in the context of an old-style bulletin board, which was the cornerstone of the particular post I replied to. It is relevant to BBS's and always was, just as it's relevant here.

Whether you think dislikes can be used for bullying or not is very debatable, but saying that bullying is irrelevant in any form of peer-to-peer human interaction is an unusual assertion and I'd be interested in understanding the basis of it.

To me - If someone indicates strongly that they are unhappy and upset by something, and somebody else then does it a lot specifically because they know the person doesn't like it, even after being asked to stop, then that's bullying plain and simple. The only thing up for debate in that instance is how serious it is (which may be "not very").
Post edited at 12:20
In reply to Andy Morley:

> For every clear and unequivocal case of 'stalking' there's 10, 20, 100 cases maybe of people who decide for whatever reason to claim that they're being 'stalked'.

Your source for that information?

> People who work with victims of domestic violence will tell you that many of those people move from one abusive relationship to another. While that does not mean that they are imagining it and it does not mean that domestic violence is OK, it does tend to demonstrate that it takes two to tango.

What an unpleasant paragraph. To me, it says more about you than the victims of abusive relationships.

> There's a whole popular mass-movement that's been going on for decades now that claims it's being bullied in some way every time it encounters a point of view it doesn't like. I wonder how many users of the dislike button might themselves claim that they've been 'offended' in some way by being subjected to a perspective they can't deal with? Maybe they see themselves as victims? It woudn't surprise me.

Meh.
 Sir Chasm 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

I am struggling, I'm struggling with your insistence that a) clicking the dislike button is bullying only when it's done repeatedly by the same person (you don't know that's the case), b) I'm struggling with your seeming inability to distinguish between your own opinion and fact - you don't know who is clicking the button and you don't know why, so it isn't a fact that it's bullying and it isn't a fact that the same group of people always dislike Lemming's post. You do seem to have a right bee in your bonnet though, in my opinion, obviously.
 Sir Chasm 20 Jan 2016

It might be, perhaps it's a difference of musical taste. And if all threads that the Lemming started had 10 dislikes I might think he had 10 dislike stalkers.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Its hardly difficult to look: most of his recent posts do get such treatment. The site will know who is doing it and I strongly suspect a handful probably need a warning in terms of other site rules.
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Clinger:

> What an unpleasant paragraph. To me, it says more about you than the victims of abusive relationships.

Interesting reaction, which probably illuminates much of what goes on behind the use of the 'dislike' button. You get presented with a piece of factual information about the world, you don't like it, it makes you feel uncomfortable and so rather than accept it, or counter it with different factual information, you decide that you dislike the information and the person who's conveying it.

FWIW, I gained those insights during the time I spent working as a Samaritans volunteer, from talking with people who were social workers at the time and from attending talks given by people like Erin Pitsey who founded what was probably the first refuge for 'battered women' in Chiswick.
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> It might be, perhaps it's a difference of musical taste.

No. I think we can be fairly certain that that's not the reason for the dislikes.

There's a huge range of replies on that thread with suggestions of all sorts of music etc and yet as of my check earlier there wasn't a single other dislike on the whole thread.

Urban5teve 20 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Disliked because i thought that would be funny
In reply to Andy Morley:
> Interesting reaction, which probably illuminates much of what goes on behind the use of the 'dislike' button. You get presented with a piece of factual information about the world, you don't like it, it makes you feel uncomfortable and so rather than accept it, or counter it with different factual information, you decide that you dislike the information and the person who's conveying it.

This part of your post was "factual information"...

"People who work with victims of domestic violence will tell you that many of those people move from one abusive relationship to another."

This part was conjecture and in my opinion unpleasant...

"While that does not mean that they are imagining it and it does not mean that domestic violence is OK, it does tend to demonstrate that it takes two to tango."

It seems you disagree - which is of course your prerogative - however that's my view and I stand by it.
Post edited at 12:57
 Sir Chasm 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Clinger:

You missed the second part of my post, where are the regular 10 dislikes?
 Sir Chasm 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> Its hardly difficult to look: most of his recent posts do get such treatment. The site will know who is doing it and I strongly suspect a handful probably need a warning in terms of other site rules.

You should report it. If you think someone is being bullied that is.
In reply to Sir Chasm:
I agreed with that part so didn't see the need to include it.

I should have though, so apologies for that.
Post edited at 12:59
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Clinger:

> It seems you disagree - which is of course your prerogative - however that's my view and I stand by it.

Self-righteous people usually do, however there's little or no correlation between self-righteousness and accuracy of perspective in my experience.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

How much of that is down to the level of proof required to prosecute as opposed to the reality of the problems faced by those stalked? Stalking is pretty common.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/latest_news/stalking_protocol/
 ScottTalbot 20 Jan 2016

> I think this is a good example

> It's odd that got 10 dislikes, as a thread it's innocuous and obviously interesting to some. Nothing irritating in the OP.

Couldn't just be 10 people that don't like those soundtracks?
 Mike Stretford 20 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
> Couldn't just be 10 people that don't like those soundtracks?

That would be quite odd, as Clinger says higher up. They are actual good soundtracks, it would be strange if 10 people were moved to dislike those and non others.

And as Sir Chas, says, it doesn't happen on all his threads, so I think it's happening but not with the dedication some think.
Post edited at 14:32
In reply to Andy Morley:

Ah, I understand now.

I stand by my comments and am therefore self righteous. You stand by yours and of course are not. Makes perfect sense, thanks for explaining.
 ScottTalbot 20 Jan 2016

> That would be quite odd, as Clinger says higher up. They are actual good soundtracks, it would be strange if 10 people were moved to dislike those and non others.

> And as Sir Chas, says, it doesn't happen on all his threads, so I think it's happening but not with the dedication some think.

I hadn't read the other posts before replying. Admittedly, it does seem a little odd, but were the dislikes there before he started moaning about the dislike button? Who knows!?!
 ScottTalbot 20 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Look at it this way...

If someone follows all my posts and hits dislike, are they bullying me? Possibly...

If I'm not even slightly bothered by them disliking my posts, are they still bullying me? No!

It's your own choice. If you're being bullied on the Internet, it's because you're choosing to be the victim. Hence the "man up" suggestions.

Like I've said, I wouldn't even know if I was being dislike stalked, as I don't keep going back to my posts to see if people are liking/disliking them.
 flopsicle 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

> People who work with victims of domestic violence will tell you that many of those people move from one abusive relationship to another. While that does not mean that they are imagining it and it does not mean that domestic violence is OK, it does tend to demonstrate that it takes two to tango.

That's very naive and oversimplified view. The impact of abuse outlasts the actual abuse, whilst this may leave a person more likely to tolerate behaviour that others would reject, even seek out familiar relationship patterns; there's another aspect in the equation. People who wish to exert power through fear can do so more readily if their victim is already afraid and often become adept at finding the right victim. In other words vulnerable people may well (likely) be meeting and interacting with a different range of people from the outset as they are targeted.

Group bullying has subtle differences to one to one relationships. Personally, I find it more useful to see it as a behaviour than a type of person. When studied it appears most of us are willing to bully (Stanford Prison Experiment famous example). I suspect almost all people have it as an aspect of their behaviour, like telling a lie. The important bit is how to reduce it in our behaviour, as I think most of us would like to see less of it in the world!

Generally I think talking about it's effects, recognising our own capability to both bully and to challenge bullying, discussing it as a behaviour rather than a person (always 'other' person!) and being aware of 'them and us' mentality are all really good ways to reduce bullying. But then, we're stuck with being human and all the stinky human flaws that go with humaniness and as a result, despite at times Herculean efforts to get it right, I think forums end up similar, a slightly odd written record of how people interact.

FWIW - I like the like button, dislike the dislike button but have used both. On more than one occasion (on the same thread) I used the dislike button because I thought it would make what was happening funnier - in hindsight I regret that. I'm not sure that particular situation would have played out any better without the button though, maybe worse as at least the button doesn't bump the thread.
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> How much of that is down to the level of proof required to prosecute as opposed to the reality of the problems faced by those stalked? Stalking is pretty common.

Stalking exists. How many people do you know personally who have a stalker, that you're aware of?
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

> That's very naive and oversimplified view.

What I wrote and you quoted is just fact based on the experience of professionals working in the field. The rest of what you have to say is your opinion, including your faulty and one-sided analysis of the Zimbardo experiment.
 flopsicle 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

“We can assume that most people, most of the time, are moral creatures. But imagine that this morality is like a gearshift that at times gets pushed into neutral. When that happens, morality is disengaged. If the car happens to be on an incline, car and driver move precipitously downhill. It is then the nature of the circumstances that determines outcomes, not the driver's skills or intentions.”
― Philip G. Zimbardo
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to flopsicle:

> “We can assume that most people, most of the time, are moral creatures. But imagine that this morality is like a gearshift that at times gets pushed into neutral. When that happens, morality is disengaged. If the car happens to be on an incline, car and driver move precipitously downhill. It is then the nature of the circumstances that determines outcomes, not the driver's skills or intentions.”

Very poetic.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:
A few outside work including two people who I met through UKC who were stalked initially from here (Alan is aware of more). Professionally I have been involved with one serious stalking situation with a student which was horrible and a few serious incidents of stalked staff that were easier to resolve. Working alongside the Uni professional teams tasked with acting in these, the occurances were clearly common (often a few in one year). Of the total (in and out of work) two had imvolved the police (who dealt with things well) and none of the stalkers were prosecuted.

My experiences of bullying are even more common. At work I've lost count of the cases I've been involved with hardly any of which looked suspect (but quite a few where I thought the bullying clearly wasn't or probably wasnt with intent from the perpetrator... pressures of work, poor training, odd personality types and mental health issues all being represented from time-to-time on both sides). In the worst cases people left taking a big financial and health hit in the process.
Post edited at 16:41
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

So roughly how many cases of stalking does the above narrative represent?
(Let's not mix 'stalking' up with 'bullying' which has an even more elastic definition)
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Less than 10... so what? As for bullying its a free country and the combination is pretty relevant to this thread.
 Brass Nipples 20 Jan 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Bullying is defined by the actions of the bully not the response of the victim. Just because a bully didn't get the response they were hoping for, doesn't negate their actions.
 John Ww 20 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Ok, enough!! We appear to be going round in circles now. Given the number of posts and the views expressed, could we now PLEASE have a response from the mods?

JW
 deepsoup 20 Jan 2016
In reply to John Ww:
Already happened a week ago:
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=632503&v=1#x8213030

Also, for anyone else who hasn't read the entire thread (and who could blame them), Reaver2k has been kind enough to write a little extension for both Chrome and Firefox that will remove the buttons for anyone who doesn't want to see them:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=632503&v=1#x8216896
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=632503&v=1#x8217553
 ScottTalbot 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

> Bullying is defined by the actions of the bully not the response of the victim. Just because a bully didn't get the response they were hoping for, doesn't negate their actions.

Surely it's attempted bullying? If I'm not bothered by it, I'm not getting bullied.
 Andy Morley 20 Jan 2016
In reply to John Ww:
> Ok, enough!! We appear to be going round in circles now. Given the number of posts and the views expressed, could we now PLEASE have a response from the mods?

Would this be the online equivalent of "My big brother's a policeman"?
(Or maybe "I'm going to tell....")
Post edited at 23:22
 John Ww 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Morley:

Errr...no, not really - just a request for a decision either one way or the other, so that this epic can be put to bed.

JW
 deepsoup 21 Jan 2016
In reply to John Ww:
> ... so that this epic can be put to bed.

Since when did a definitive answer near the start of a contentious UKC thread stop it rambling, and wrangling, on for ages?
Moley 21 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Each morning I wake up and this thread is still running, aaaaaaaafffffgh.
STOP. please, please, please.
abseil 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Moley:

> Each morning I wake up and this thread is still running, aaaaaaaafffffgh.

> STOP. please, please, please.

Bump.
 tony 21 Jan 2016
In reply to John Ww:

> Errr...no, not really - just a request for a decision either one way or the other, so that this epic can be put to bed.

Or perhaps the fact that we still have the dislike buttons means that a decision has been taken. Doesn't mean people have to like it or have other things to say about the wider issues of bullying. Discussions like this are rarely put to bed quite so neatly as you might like.
 SenzuBean 21 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Open request to site owners - please give me a bucket of say 5 dislikes a day, and I can lump them all on the same post each day.

krikoman 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Moley:

> Each morning I wake up and this thread is still running, aaaaaaaafffffgh.

> STOP. please, please, please.

Why not, just not look??? You'll be complaining about Dislikes next, what's wrong with you?
 Sir Chasm 21 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

How are you getting on with Reaver2k's nifty bit of code?
OP The Lemming 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> How are you getting on with Reaver2k's nifty bit of code?

Been a busy boy and not had a chance yet.

May I ask if the code has any potential to weaken the overall security and safety of Firefox while on the tinter-web?

I don't want to open up any unexpected weaknesses while surfing.
 Offwidth 21 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:
Alan said he was continuing with them for the moment. I felt it was unfair to pester him about it last night as we had climbing to talk about, there were lots of people I hadn't seen in a while, and I owed Chris a pint from my 100:1 cricket bet. If a minority of people behaved better there would be no need to get rid of it anyhow but the internet is like a car, it turns some normal people into screaming maniacs with hill-billy grudges.
Post edited at 10:56
 Sir Chasm 21 Jan 2016

> Been a busy boy and not had a chance yet.

Hmmm, perhaps it's not that important?

> May I ask if the code has any potential to weaken the overall security and safety of Firefox while on the tinter-web?

> I don't want to open up any unexpected weaknesses while surfing.

I've no idea, you need to ask reaver2k. But even if it's safe I'm sure you can find another excuse.
 deepsoup 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
> If a minority of people behaved better there would be no need to get rid of it anyhow

There *is* no need to get rid of it, especially now that anyone who doesn't wish to see them can easily turn them off in their own browser.

Maybe you should start your own forum instead of telling Alan how to run his.
Moley 21 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> Why not, just not look??? You'll be complaining about Dislikes next, what's wrong with you?

It's there, staring me in the face that it is still on going......I have to look!

I am nearly at the point of giving Lemming a "dislike" for starting the sodding thread, but still haven't worked out if this would constitute bullying and maybe upset him even more.

Worse still, I am now posting on the thread, sucked in like a length of spaghetti.
 deepsoup 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> I've no idea, you need to ask reaver2k.

It's open source, so the best way to make sure would be to ask someone other than Reaver2k to have a look at his code. I'm sure any the folk who've taken the time to offer the Lemming technical advice in the past would be more than happy to oblige again.
 krikoman 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Moley:

> , sucked in like a length of spaghetti.

My favourite!!
 Sir Chasm 21 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

I bow to your technical knowledge. But that "someone other than Reaver2k" still won't be me.
 deepsoup 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:
I have no technical knowledge, so it won't be me either.
 Offwidth 21 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:
I'm not telling Alan how to run his site. I'm highlighting a problem I'm concerned with where I would like to see change. Facebook was persuaded to drop the dislike button and I hope UKC will one day follow. How could such a large organisation make such a change if these types of arguments are baseless. I've made my point on ostrich mentality as well... if it bothers you, I think hiding it is the wrong response. Supplying the code was a nice touch though... some people like to hide.

These are my opinions, you are free to disagree but please try to deal with the arguments honestly.
Post edited at 12:29
In reply to krikoman:

Mine to, is this how addictions start?
In reply to deepsoup:

His code is fine.
 krikoman 25 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I reckon there's someone who's disliked every post on this thread.

It would be interesting to see the statistics, maybe we could have a summation, like we do with pictures. Anonymous but a total of how people have voted during their UKC lives.
 Sir Chasm 25 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> I reckon there's someone who's disliked every post on this thread.

I reckon, if you read the thread, you'll find you're wrong (as at14:56).

> It would be interesting to see the statistics, maybe we could have a summation, like we do with pictures. Anonymous but a total of how people have voted during their UKC lives.

I'd like to see the stats for the people who don't like the buttons.
 deepsoup 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:
> His code is fine.

Cool. (I mean, of course it is, but now there's no doubt.)

There you go then Lemming...
OP The Lemming 25 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Cool. (I mean, of course it is, but now there's no doubt.)

> There you go then Lemming...

Good enough for me.

krikoman 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> I reckon, if you read the thread, you'll find you're wrong (as at14:56).

Couldn't find any, but then.....

> I'd like to see the stats for the people who don't like the buttons.

I don't really care that they are anonymous, I'd still click the same, but I click to either agree or disagree, so it's just short hand for me. Except when I'm being ironic, but only I know that.

Any how can we please get to magical 300 dislike barrier, come one everyone The Lemming needs you support!!
 FactorXXX 26 Jan 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Any how can we please get to magical 300 dislike barrier, come one everyone The Lemming needs you support!!

What's the point?
He's now got the magic 'Dislikey Hidey' code that hides such trivial stuff from his personal usage of UKC.
In fact, everyone could Dislike every single one of his posts and he would be totally oblivious...
Alternatively, they could Like every single one of his posts, but that would be just total madness!
 Run_Ross_Run 26 Jan 2016
In reply to FactorX

> What's the point?

> He's now got the magic 'Dislikey Hidey' code that hides such trivial stuff from his personal usage of UKC.

> In fact, everyone could Dislike every single one of his posts and he would be totally oblivious...

Ahh but your forgetting one thing. He's got his alter ego that he can use just to check, aka 'temp lemming '.

Holy Christmas trees batman!!

krikoman 26 Jan 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Any how can we please get to magical 300 dislike barrier, come one everyone The Lemming needs you support!!

> What's the point?

for the glory
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

The Temp Lemming came about as he couldn't login any more. The code that showed the red reply bubbles on the forum pages was having a melt down while showing the pages for him. He had over 500,000 un-cleared reply notifications

I've rewritten the code to make it more efficient and merged the Temp Lemming with The Lemming.
Clauso 26 Jan 2016

> I've rewritten the code to make it more efficient and merged the Temp Lemming with The Lemming.

Surely it would have been easier just to ban him?
In reply to Clauso:

That's not cricket is it!?
Clauso 26 Jan 2016

I wasn't being entirely serious... Bet that it crossed your mind, though?
OP The Lemming 26 Jan 2016

> The Temp Lemming came about as he couldn't login any more. The code that showed the red reply bubbles on the forum pages was having a melt down while showing the pages for him. He had over 500,000 un-cleared reply notifications

> I've rewritten the code to make it more efficient and merged the Temp Lemming with The Lemming.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for all your help over the last couple of weeks.

BTW
What is a reply notification?
In reply to Clauso:

> I wasn't being entirely serious...

Really?

Clauso 26 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Yeah, really... After all, if you got banned then I'd only have to go to the trouble of finding somebody else to dislike.

<hint>I'm still not being entirely serious. This is only the internet FFS.</hint>
In reply to Clauso:

I was banned once, many years ago.

All a misunderstanding and cleared up amicably within the hour. By coincidence it was exactly when I hit the Number 1 spot.

I'm Bad Ass.
 FactorXXX 26 Jan 2016

I've rewritten the code to make it more efficient and merged the Temp Lemming with The Lemming.

Are you insane! Merging them might well create a super Lemming and then anything could happen!
You have been warned...

I had half a million?

Cool
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm sensing hyperbole...
 John_Hat 26 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I just clicked on this post because it had 8,999 views and I couldn't just leave it there could I?

Anyway, 9,000 now. Much neater.

*wanders off*
Clauso 26 Jan 2016
In reply to John_Hat:

I've disliked you too...
 aln 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

I hate you
Clauso 26 Jan 2016
In reply to aln:

I progressed beyond hating you years ago... No offence, but I now struggle to summon apathy where you're concerned.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...