Nicholas Parsons - your minute is up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 28 Jan 2020

Passed away at age 96.

I feel rather sad. I was in awe of his faultless adjudication on Just a Minute despite it all being unscripted.

Rog Wilko 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Removed User:

How very sad (though never a tragedy when nonagenarian passes on). When you heard him on air you'd have thought he was in his 50s! If I had a mind that quick while 20 years younger I'd be more than happy.

Pyreneenemec 28 Jan 2020

I was just about to start a thread- well, it only takes just a minute, but some one beat me to it !

I remember listening with my nan to  Radio 4/ Just A Minute  over 50 years ago ( she refused to have a TV ) and probably heard the very first episode  and  I've been listening off and on since then.

Here's an episode from 1968, with Kenneth Williams, Clement Freud and Geraldine Jones.

youtube.com/watch?v=4kcEeiP7l44&

Siward 28 Jan 2020

End of an era. He first presented Just a Minute in the year I was born.

And never forget Sale of the Century!

There must be a national day of mourning /holiday of some sort surely? 

Post edited at 13:31
 Timmd 28 Jan 2020

I went to see I'm Sorry I'm Haven't A Clue recently which had Jack Dee's affectionate parody of Just A Minute in it. I've listened to Just A Minute since childhood, it's hard to think of anybody else who could do such a fine job.

RIP Nicholas, thanks for the memories and the dinner time mirth.  

Post edited at 13:38

> Passed away at age 96.

> I feel rather sad. I was in awe of his faultless adjudication on Just a Minute despite it all being unscripted.

100% agree.  Its a great show and in a mixed bag of comedies on Radio 4 was always great to listen to.  

The guests were always pretty good too.  But who would replace him?  I think GNorton would be a good fit.  Has a very quick wit (an essential prerequisite for the job) and knows the players well.

Robert Durran 28 Jan 2020
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> 100% agree.  Its a great show and in a mixed bag of comedies on Radio 4 was always great to listen to.  

Along with Gardeners Question Time, one of the two programmes I scramble to switch off on Radio 4! Parsons always seemed ok though.

Rog Wilko 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Along with Gardeners Question Time, one of the two programmes I scramble to switch off on Radio 4!

Surely The Archers Omnibus (with maddening squeeze box signature tune) beats anything?

Hat Dude 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

> I was just about to start a thread-

That would've been repetition!

In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Surely The Archers Omnibus (with maddening squeeze box signature tune) beats anything?

No, I like the Archers. It has varied and changing story lines. Just a Minute is a one trick show which only ever deserved a minute, not decades! Now would seem a good time to let it go quietly.

Post edited at 14:13
 tehmarks 28 Jan 2020

>  No, I like the Archers.

Huzza! There is something in the world that you actually like!

pasbury 28 Jan 2020

'Take out Nicolas Parsons' - anyone remember that comic Strip episode in which he appeared?

tehmarks 28 Jan 2020

Very sad news. Radio 4 is the only radio station I ever listen to in the car, and so I've spent hours daily listening to it over the past few years driving to and from work. Just a Minute was always a great boost on the journey home after work.

nniff 28 Jan 2020

A very great shame.   It was always entertaining, with occasional flashes of brilliance such as David Tennant speaking for a minute on his first go, and stringing someone who had been speaking for a minute already along for a minute and a half.

In reply to tehmarks:

> Huzza! There is something in the world that you actually like!

I like loads and loads of things. 

Mark Collins 28 Jan 2020

RIP, absolute legend! As well as enjoying Just a Minute, I also found his life story fascinating whenever he was interviewed about it on TV. Particularly his engineering work in Glasgow and surviving the Blitz.

DaveHK 28 Jan 2020

> Along with Gardeners Question Time,

I am by no means a gardener but listening to people who really know their stuff is never time wasted whatever the topic.

rj_townsend 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> How very sad (though never a tragedy when nonagenarian passes on). When you heard him on air you'd have thought he was in his 50s! If I had a mind that quick while 20 years younger I'd be more than happy.

I completely agree - I hadn't realised he was in his 90s!

Post edited at 16:27
In reply to DaveHK:

> I am by no means a gardener but listening to people who really know their stuff is never time wasted whatever the topic.

True, but I just find the whole tone of it irksome and sort of smug for some reason. I switch over to Classic FM.

hokkyokusei 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> I went to see I'm Sorry I'm Haven't A Clue recently which had Jack Dee's affectionate parody of Just A Minute in it. 

Coincidentally, I went to see I'm sorry I haven't a clue just last night, and Jack Dee's parody was excellent.

Siward 28 Jan 2020

See, I listen to GQT (as it's called by aficionados) not for the expertise or practical knowledge, particularly, but for the timeless rhythm and feel of it, redolent of Sunday afternoons since 1975.

Rob Exile Ward 28 Jan 2020

Funnily enough I loath Just a Minute, it was one of the programs - the Archers is another - where I can't get to the off switch fast enough when the signature tune came on.

Respect to Parsons though, that's a long life lived well to the end.

wercat 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Surely The Archers Omnibus (with maddening squeeze box signature tune) beats anything?

Even Woman's Hour?  We desperately need a Man's Hour given most of the content on R4

wercat 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Siward:

very handy if you need a nap too

In reply to wercat:

> Even Woman's Hour?  

Women's hour is a great programme. Unfortunately it's on at a rubbish time of day, but the highlights at the weekend are good,

sn 28 Jan 2020

> I like loads and loads of things. 

Repetition of 'loads' (sorry!)

Timmd 03 Feb 2020

> I like loads and loads of things. 

...but grumpily.

Edit: Perhaps UKC is where you vent about things, and in every day life you're chilled.

Post edited at 01:18
 Robert Durran 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> ...but grumpily.

I honestly don't know how you get that impression. I think you are only noticing things selectively.

I said that there are only two programes on Radio 4 that I switch off. That seems to me an overtwhelmingly positive endorsement of the programming.

Timmd 03 Feb 2020

Fair enough. It was meant in good spirit either way.

Timmd 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Robert Durran: I think I mis-remember you posting about kicking a supermarket self service whatsit, that'll be what it was. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...